Home is where your partner in crime is

Bae's 9

When the first sun rays passed through the room's luxurious curtains, Joohyun slowly blinked her eyes awake, yawning and stretching. She reached for her phone to see the time. Although it was still pretty early, she quickly calculated how much time she had left until that old lady realized that her credit card information had been stolen.

Joohyun concluded she had approximately an hour until that would happen and eventually someone would go knock on the room's door to check if she was still there, in a way to calm down the old lady histeric antics on the phone. Because, obviously, that lady wouldn't fly all the way back to fill a complaint to that hotel.

She decided to take a quick shower, put on some nice clothes she had gotten the day before and leave that hotel room. After all, she felt refreshed and ready to start putting her brand new plan into practice, but Joohyun knew that she needed Seungwan's help first.

So, after having breakfast in a Starbucks, which she actually paid for, using those won bill she had, Joohyun called Seungwan who cheered loudly when she heard the news: that Joohyun had been released on parole and was waiting for Seungwan to pick her up.

Only ten minutes later, Seungwan arrived, in a old car that Joohyun didn't recognize at all, maybe it was someone else's or her best friend had finally decided to sell her motorcycle to actually by a decent mean of transportation. All in all, she was glad to see that familiar face smiling so big at her from the window.

Seungwan had always been greasy, but when she got out of the car, holding a small bouquet of white roses and grinning like a shy girl (because of course she would), Joohyun rolled her eyes. That was so Seungwan and she couldn't help but let out a soft laugh.

Joohyun decided to give in, just a little, by hugging Seungwan awkwardly, taking a deep breath, smelling Seungwan's familiar vanilla scent. Joohyun had missed that human form of contact, some skin-ship and the warmth she felt from doing it, except that the latter was something exclusive to Seungwan only. She had missed that woman more then she cared to admit.

“Hey, if this isn’t my favorite jail-breaker!” Seungwan whispered teasingly, hugging Joohyun back in a weird way, trying to not mess up the bouquet still in her hand.

“Oh, shut up!” Joohyun mumbled, hugging the woman even more tightly.

“Someone is clingy today.” Seungwan said laughing when Joohyun refused to let go of her. “C’mon, we gotta go! Seulgi is waiting for us.”

“Okay, fine.” Joohyun agreed after a while, taking the bouquet from the woman’s hand but not moving an inch.

She didn't know why but she felt embarrassed all of a sudden and she could feel her cheeks heating up despite the cold weather in Seoul. Seeing Seungwan, pretty as ever, dressed in a warm fluffy pink coat, with short brown hair and big smiles made her feel very self conscious but also very happy at the same time. It felt too good to be true.

Joohyun was conflicted at her own feelings, standing in the middle of the street when Seungwan took her hand and guided her to the passenger's seat. The woman was giggling happily, while Joohyun observed her driving away from that Starbucks, side glancing at her.

A familiar song came on the radio and Joohyun hummed along to it, earning a big smile from Seungwan. She was too shy to look at the woman while doing it, though. That was very unusual for Joohyun, who was too busy fidgeting with her bouquet and deep in thought, wondering if she was ready to start all over again.

When they stopped at a red light, Seungwan held her hand again, making Joohyun look at her. They just stared at each other for a while, trying to figure out what had changed in their appearance. The Canadian sighed happily, before she let Joohyun's hand to drive again, focusing her attention on the road.

“I’m so glad you’re out, unnie.” Seungwan said, making a turn in Seoul’s busy streets.

It was sappy and emotional and greasy, but Joohyun smiled at her anyway. She was happy to be there too, in that car, with Seungwan driving to her place. Deep down, she had anxiously for that moment, more than anything else.

“I’m glad too.” Joohyun finally said, after some minutes. “Thanks for picking me up, Wendy.”

The Canadian seemed surprised to hear her western name or to hear a sincere comment from the woman beside her. It had been a while since the last time she had heard Joohyun call her Wendy, so much so that she could even remember when that was. But she smiled anyway, side glancing every time she could to look at Joohyun.

When they arrived at Seungwan's place, thirty minutes later, Seulgi barged out of the door, running to hug Joohyun as if her life depended on it. The older woman huffed playfully; awkwardly patting Seulgi’s back in return, while still holding her bouquet. Seungwan smiled at them, before entering her place, giving the two some time alone.

“Unnie, I’m so happy you’re here!” Seulgi almost chocked out, holding back tears. “We have some much to catch up to do!”

“I’m happy to see you, Seul.” Joohyun admitted, making Seulgi give her a teary smile. “But please don’t cry, you look ugly when you do.”

Joohyun smirked, laughing as Seulgi pouted, crossing her arms on her chest like a small child. Only then Joohyun really took a look at Seulgi, who was still very pretty and clumsy as she almost knocked down Joohyun's bouquet when she let go of the hug. Of course, she had missed her too; especially the part of teasing Seulgi, their bear-like friend that was way too nice and friendly, but everyone loved her for that, including Joohyun.

They decided to enter Wendy's cozy enormous place after that, taking of their coats and their shoes off, leaving them in a small cabinet strategically place behind the from door. The whole place was very tidy and clean and anyone could see how much effort Seungwan had put into decoration as everything looked beautiful and neat.

Soft colors were the ones most present, like white, light pastel blue and grey. The house was spacious and Joohyun wondered how long did it take to warm up the whole place before she sat down on the large couch in the middle of the room, placing the flowers in a vase with water, while Seulgi sat across her in the dining table.

They had been chatting for a while, catching up on what had happened, when Seungwan finally reappeared, offering a soft navy blue sweater for Joohyun to wear. She smiled at the Canadian, who sat next to her and gave them all cups of very hot camomile tea, which were gladly appreciated.

Everything was coming back to normal, Joohyun had just come out of prison and she was there, at Seungwan's place, with Seulgi and Seungwan herself, drinking tea like old times. Well, at least, it had been normal, until Joohyun decided to share or more like drop the bomb that was her next very elaborate mission plan.

“I’ve been thinking and I have something planned out already. A heist.”

Seulgi spilled her tea all over herself upon hearing that, accidentally burning her hands. And Wendy chocked, almost gasping for air as she quickly ran to her room to grab a towel and her first aid kit, to help Seulgi out. Was Joohyun out of her mind? She had just been released, and on parole, for goodness sake!

“Unnie, you just got out of prison. Don’t you think that’s a bad idea?” Seulgi reasoned while Wendy was checking her dry hand. “That will lead you right back to that place again.”

“Seul, I’ve been planning this for exact 4 years, 39 days and 3 hours. I have everything sorted out. We will be rich again!”

“Oh. My. God.” Was all that Seungwan managed to say, knowing exactly what that meant: they were screwed.

When Joohyun would came up with a plan or a mission and actually told someone else about it, that meant she was asking for help. Not exactly asking, to be fair, but more like demanding their help on Joohyun’s crazy ideas. The last time that happened, the woman ended up deported, sentenced and arrested and Seungwan was left with no other choice than stay illegally in the US until she made enough money to come back to South Korea, a true tragedy.

Seulgi, who had never really participated in any of Joohyun's insane schemes, just stared at them in pure shock. She couldn't believe how nonchalant Joohyun was about the whole thing, especially when not more than twenty four hours before, she was still handcuffed in a cell. Insane! But what was even more insane was the fact that Seulgi was actually interested in what Joohyun had planned, wanting to help out this time.

“How would that happen?” Seulgi asked and Wendy shot her a deadly glare.

“Irene-unnie, no.” Wendy warned, using Joohyun’s code name. “That’s the worst idea ever.”

“Wendy-ah, you’re underestimating me.”

“Whatever it is, this time I’m down for it!” Seulgi voiced out and Wendy didn’t know if she wanted to kill her or Joohyun or even herself.

“Seulgi, you’re not helping!”

“Now that’s a supportive friend!” Joohyun said in a weird rage, apparently very hurt that Wendy wasn’t as hyped as she expected her to be about her new plan.

Actually, Irene was puffing her chest, her face red and very close to Wendy’s, their noses almost touching. That little weird moment made Seungwan stay silent, gulping hard and staring at Joohyun’s eyes just as intensely as the woman did. For some reason, the older woman was feeling a little betrayed and she wouldn’t let that pass.

Seulgi noticed something was definitely off and she would be no help, so she excused herself, saying a rushed goodbye and decided to go to Wendy’s spare room, leaving the other two alone in the living room. She had never seen them argue before and it was something she wasn’t planning to witness anytime soon.

“Unnie...” Wendy trailed off, looking away. “Please don’t do this to me!”

Joohyun suddenly stopped her rage outburst upon hearing Seungwan say that almost above a whisper. She had always had a big soft spot for Seungwan, specially when she looked so helpless and vulnerable. It touched directly Joohyun’s heart, even if she didn’t want it to.

“You’ll make me feel interested, help you out and then we’ll both end up in trouble.”

“Wan, please. I wanna do it! I have everything planned already.”

Seungwan looked at her, trying to get some sort of clarification on whatever message Joohyun was trying to convey through her weird eyebrow raise. Then the older woman gave her one of her best convincing smiles, batting her eyes in a very cute way and Seungwan almost gasped, Joohyun was unbelievable.

“Please, Wendy, I’m your unnie!”

That was it, the last straw and Seungwan’s very blatant weakness. She would fall every time Joohyun pulled out the “unnie” card and she found herself unwillingly nodding along, much to Joohyun’s surprise. That was easy.

“Wait, I still need to know what it is first.” Seungwan said, snapping out of her trance. “Otherwise, I won’t help you nor will I let Seulgi help you.”

Joohyun seemed to contemplate that for a minute, but just shrugged anyway. She trusted Seungwan and knew her help was essential for her to execute her flawless plan and she kind of missed the old times too, when they were awesome partners in crime.

“Let’s have lunch and I’ll tell you everything.”

 


Seungwan decided not to tell Seulgi why they were leaving the house, so that she could make Joohyun tell her everything before Seulgi got too invested in that crazy idea. So, to prevent that from happening, she dropped Seulgi off at work before she went out with Joohyun to have lunch.

Joohyun chose a very ran-down restaurant to have lunch at, one that reminded a American style diner but Seungwan didn’t oppose to it, glad that the woman had decided to not attract unwanted attention and that they could have some sort of privacy in one of its booths.

They ordered some fries, two burgers and a milkshake, both staying silent until the waitress came back with their order, which didn’t take longer than ten minutes. That was when Seungwan couldn’t hold her curiosity back any longer and, between munching some fries, she decided to break the silence.

“So, what is it?”

“A heist.”

“Yeah, but what are we stealing this time?”

Joohyun took a good look around, while she drank the milkshake. There were a bunch of strangers in that restaurant and a couple of foreigners too, but no one who seemed too invested in them, just some people who would casually look at the duo because they were maybe too dressed up for a place like that.

“At first, I thought about stealing a bank.”

“Because that’s where the money comes from?”

“Yeah, but then I thought: too easy.”

They shared a knowing glance and Irene waved it off, taking a bite of the burger. It was very delicious, triple cheese, crunchy lettuce and she found herself wanting to moan at how good it was, but she had still some dignity left and decided to continue speaking.

“So I thought: maybe ten banks or maybe a bank in America. But I realized I was coming from an angry place and that I still can’t go anywhere abroad.”

“Oh, could you realize that?” Seungwan laughed and Joohyun shrugged her shoulders, wiping off . She could eat at least three more of those burgers, they were so good.

“But I couldn’t really think, you know. Five women in a small space, it’s difficult. So I made a way to go to the solitary, to think.”

“So...”

“So I came up with the idea. Jewels.”

“What? How? Shoplifting again?” Seungwan said, scoffing. “Very predictable of you.”

Wendy took a mouthful of fries again, chewing them in silence while Joohyun just grinned at her, chuckling a little. She couldn’t understand what was so funny about all of that, Joohyun made it seem so simple like they were discussing what to watch in the theater.

“No, dummy. We’re crashing the MAMA Awards this year.”

“Are we robbing the awards?” Seungwan asked really confused. Couldn’t the woman get to the point already? “Are they worth something? How are they considered jewelry?”

Joohyun sighed loudly. Seungwan was lucky she was cute because sometimes Joohyun just wished she had more forward thinking, a broader vision of things. But Wendy was her loyal partner in crime and she knew the woman would go the extra mile to help her.

“No. We’re gonna rob people attending the awards, wearing the jewelry. More specifically someone wearing Tiffany & Co.’s most expensive necklace, worth over two billions of wons.”

“Ok...” The younger woman seemed to let the idea sink in for a moment, then she continued. “Even if we were to do it, it would take like three people and a billion wons.”

“Eight.”

“I’m sorry, what?”

“It would take eight people and twenty two millions of wons.”

Wendy looked rather interested, more than Irene initially saw her be. They ate in silence for a while, chewing their burgers and staring at each other before Wendy decided to speak again, not containing her curiosity anymore.

“Irene-unnie, why do you need to do this?”

“Because it’s what I’m good at.”

“Hm, yeah.” Wendy said in pure disbelief.

“Listen, I’ve ran this thing a thousand times. Every time I got caught, I changed it, until three years later, I wasn’t getting caught anymore and by the time I was paroled it was working like clockwork. Perfectly.”

Seungwan just stared at her, not knowing what to say. It felt like the woman had everything planned already but something deep down still felt awkward. That didn’t mean Wendy wasn’t interested, though.

“And you were there, with me, every step of the way.”

Irene gave one of her crooked smiles and Wendy grinned. Their dynamic was, in fact, very unique but it had worked pretty much all the time, except that one time with Bogum, but Irene wouldn’t let it happen again.

“Oh, baby, is this a proposal?” Wendy asked, in what was meant to be a very greasy tone.

She expected to earn some eye roll or for Irene to hit her while she involuntarily blushed at her flirty question, but that never came. In fact, without missing a beat, Irene smiled back, winking.

“No, honey, I haven’t got the diamonds yet.”

Wendy blushed, but coughed, trying to not take that answer too personally. She had missed their strange flirty banter but she didn’t miss her heart beating so fast because of that. She looked at the wall, diverting her eyes from Irene, thinking about how she let herself in that situation. Unbelievable!

“Oh, Wannie, please. Do you really want to spend the rest of your life as a waitress by day and unknown singer by night? I guess it’s a fat no, so will you help me?”

“You’re really annoying, you know.”

“I’ll take that as a yes. And call Seulgi, let her know that you’re so in.”

“Ugh, I swear, you’re so inconvenient.”

“Hurry up, we have a lot to do.”