Seulgi to the rescue

Bae's 9

When Seulgi opened the front door of Seungwan’s place later that day, carrying three heavy bags of Chinese takeout, she was met by three people chatting in the living room: Seungwan herself, dressing in the richest way possible, Joohyun, equally as posh, and a woman she had never seen before, but looked like she had cried a lot.

They all glared at her as she almost tripped and dropped the bags on the floor, but Wendy hurried up in time to save the food from falling. She blushed, but decided to play it cool, bowing to the unknown person sitting by the large couch and quickly introduced herself.

“I’m Seulgi, ugh, Wendy’s best friend and normal office worker most of the time.”

“Oh, nice to meet you, Seulgi-unnie. I’m Lalisa Manoban, disastrous fashion designer, at your service.”

Seulgi nodded,despite not having a clue of what they were doing. When those two said they were looking for someone to dress Rosé for the Awards, she didn’t imagine they would actually find one that quickly nor that they would take the designer to their now headquarters, but it wasn’t unpleasant as Seulgi really enjoyed meeting new people.

“So, hm, Rosé has very distinct features.” Lisa commented while analyzing one of the singer’s recent pictures on Wendy’s iPad. “Good body, nice smiles. Yeah, that could turn out great, maybe we could...”

“Maybe we could give her this necklace.” Irene suggested, showing their actual target: Tiffany’s most expensive diamond necklace.

“Oh, god, no. Too chic, wouldn’t match.”

Seulgi almost choked on her own spit, excusing herself to get some cutlery in the kitchen. She couldn’t believe how those two could plan everything so strategically perfect, so, instead of watching them do it, she preferred to eat the food she brought. So she observed the other three from the dining table, drinking beer while she set the table.

“It’s called the majestic.” Wendy said, while pacing around the room. “It has 41-carat pear-shaped diamonds and it’s worth billions of wons.”

“But it’s never been sold and they it’s securely guarded in a vault, six meters underground.” Irene continued, sitting right next to Lalisa on the couch.

“But how would we get it out?” Lalisa inquired while staring at the necklace’s picture. It looked expensive.

“Maybe they would let it out, for her: Rosé.” Irene explained, switching back to the singer’s picture.

“This year’s theme for the Award is royalty, which means diamonds are a must. And what’s more royal than a necklace named majestic?” Wendy said while sitting next to Lalisa’s other side on the couch.

“So, if you were to insist on Rosé wearing that necklace, asking for it on behalf of the singer, I’m sure Tiffany & Co. would allow it.” Irene clarified and they could almost see the engines in the designer’s brain turning.

Lalisa seemed to consider it for a split second, looking at the other two, until she almost gasped in realization. The plan was good, strategic and it also seemed easy, all she had to do was convince Rosé to choose her as her designer for the awards and then make the necklace a part of the outfit, as simple as that.

She was impressed at how they had come up with the plan, but more importantly she was definitely in and there was no turning back. So, she took a last glance at the picture, at Rosé's perfect features and took a deep breath.

“Alright, let’s do this.”

 

After eating the Chinese takeout Seulgi had brought, it was quite late and Lalisa went home to start thinking about which dress she would make for the singer, one that was elegant and actually matched the necklace and its beautiful design. Of course, they still had to convince Rosé to choose Lisa, but that would be a problem for later.

Seulgi was dozing off completely, almost snoring, when the three decided to discuss the next part or following step of the plan which was: find a hacker to infiltrate in the MAMA’s security system, facilitating their job in at least five hundred percent.

As Seulgi would be in help, they let her go to sleep, while the other two kept on discussing possible ways of finding the perfect candidate for that position. They browsed through a few websites until Seungwan found someone who could easily fit the job.

“I found someone but he’s Russian.” Wendy said while she took a sip of her coffee.

“Aren’t there any hackers who aren’t Russian or Chinese?”

“They are barely even Russians or Chinese who aren’t hackers.”

“But wait did you say it was a he?” Irene asked, disgust evident on her face.

“Yeah, but what’s the problem with a he?” Wendy retorted. “Is this because of the boyfriend? I thought you were over that.”

“No!” Irene almost shouted, but regained her calmness right after. “A he gets noticed and she doesn’t. So no men in our plan.”

“Sure, whatever you say.”

“Just keep on looking for someone, please.” Irene said and, with that, they decided to go to sleep.


Joohyun woke up quite early the next day, preparing a nice breakfast for Seungwan before the Canadian went out to work, at four in the morning. She didn’t know exactly what the younger woman liked eating, so she prepared everything she considered edible in those small hours.

“I thought I was still dreaming but you did prepare pancakes for me.” Wendy said as soon as she entered the kitchen.

The sudden voice startled Irene a bit and Wendy laughed, earning a playful nudge on her shoulder, as the older one passed by her, to put the pancakes on the table. They smelled and looked delicious, and Wendy couldn’t wait to eat.

They sat down in silence, eating pancakes with honey and maple syrup that Joohyun had bought the previous day. It was quite nice to have some peace and quiet and pretend no time had passed and that they were still college students again. But reality was just as nice, except that they had a heist to plan.

“If this isn’t a proposal, I don’t know what is. Look at all this food made especially for me!” Wendy exclaimed happily munching a cake. 

Joohyun rolled her eyes and unsuccessfully fought the urge to smile. Seungwan was disgustingly cute at times and the things she made the leader feel weren’t good for her own liking. But there they were, staring at each other so lovingly that they looked like a recently married couple.

“You guys are gross. And loud.” Seulgi said, while rubbing her eyes. She sat by the table and continued. “At least make me your bridesmaid when you two actually get married in Canada.”

The duo blushed and looked away, but Seulgi knew better anyway. Suddenly, Wendy stood up, checking a nonexistent wrist watch on her left arm. Ridiculous, but Seulgi would let that pass, it was still too early to bicker and Joohyun seemed completely out of it.

“Oh, my! Time flies! I gotta go, see ya!”

The Canadian rushed through the door, leaving the place in a hurry. She still had at least more twenty minutes to stay home, but only heaven knew how much she didn’t want to go through that awkward situation. Not anytime soon, at least.

So she decided to go to work by bus, leaving the car so that the other two could use it. Very selfless of her (or it was the fact that she had just forgotten the keys inside and wouldn’t want to go get them), after all, they still had a lot to plan and probably had places to go investigate or people to find. And, soon enough, their plan would start to function normally.

 

It was Seulgi’s day off. She worked six days a week, in different shifts every day, as one of the receptionists for one very famous lawyers’ office. She didn’t quite enjoy her job, but it wasn’t that bad either (and it did pay her bills) as all she did was organize schedules and pick up the phone which usually rang nonstop.

Apparently, people still didn’t quite believe the power of text messaging or emailing. They had to talk to someone and Seulgi was there to listen, mostly from Mondays to Saturdays, or from Tuesdays to Sundays or whenever her workaholic bosses demanded.

After helping Joohyun clean the kitchen, which took a while, she headed upstairs to sleep a bit more, in a well deserved rest. She knew that the older woman needed some time alone too, so she figured it was best to nap a little anyway and let her be.

When she came downstairs again, a couple of hours later, Seungwan was still working but she found Joohyun watching a YouTube video on TV about jewels, more specifically how to work with them. It was very funny to see the older woman trying to work with the toolset, eyes fixated on the big screen while she separated the fake jewels pieces.

“Ugh, why is this so hard!?” Joohyun shouted at the screen.

Seulgi spent some more minutes just watching the older woman stressfully go over the same thirty seconds of the video over and over again, and every time she would make the same exact mistake, rewinding the video to restart it from the begging.

“You’re doing it wrong. Let me see that!”

Joohyun looked behind her so fast, she almost got whiplash. She let out a big sigh when she realized it was Seulgi, who got up on the couch, stepping on its cushions, only to sit back right next to Joohyun. They all stared at the tools for a few seconds, before the younger one started inspecting the jewelry pieces.

“Excuse me, but how do you know I’m doing it wrong?” Joohyun questioned once she saw how skilled Seulgi was with the jewelry.

“I worked for two years at Pandora, remember? I just quit it last month.” Seulgi nonchalantly answered, gathering all the pieces together. “See, you just get this tool here...”

“Wait, what did you say?”

“Unnie, focus! You have to use that blue tool first and...”

“No, before that.”

“I have worked for two years at Pandora?” Seulgi said, without looking away from the jewelry. “That’s not classified information, unnie. It’s kinda like common knowledge now. How did you not know that?”

They stayed silent for a couple of minutes. Seulgi was focused on joining the pieces of jewelry together, transforming what once had been a necklace into two different earrings and a bracelet. Irene observed as the younger woman did all of that, making it look so easy when it was actually the hardest thing she had ever tried to do and that's a lot considering it was Irene, convicted criminal, in question.


“Well, I didn’t know because I was in prison maybe.” Joohyun suggested and Seulgi finally stopped what she was doing. “I think we just found out exactly how you’re going to help our plan.”