The devil wears Lalisa Manoban

Bae's 9

Lalisa Manoban was a walking human disaster, but also a giant gorgeous genius at the exact same time. She wasn’t as clumsy as Seulgi was, because that would be impossible, but she was probably as slow as their bear-like friend when it came down to quick thinking. Maybe that was a side effect of being let down too many times or maybe it was just some weird fear of failure. Whatever it was, the fact that Lalisa was there, in a cab with Wendy and Irene, completely understanding her duty for the day was a complete miracle.

The designer didn’t exactly have a busy schedule, but she was hard to get in touch with as all she did was mop around about her failed collection launch. Lisa felt miserable and it was slowly getting to Irene’s nerves, but she knew it would be worth every second when they got their hands in “the majestic”. She was positive that Lisa would excel at it, she could feel it, and from the way things were going that morning, the girl had improved a lot as she wasn’t even crying anymore.

“So where are we exactly going?” Lisa asked as the three squeezed themselves on the back seat of the cab.

“You’ll see in a minute.” Irene answered.

“Right.”

The cab stopped at a very fancy restaurant, one Lisa had never been to before, in a slowly rising part of Seoul. Wendy informed the maître about their reservation and soon enough the three were sat in one of its booths.

“Today you’ll meet Solar, she’s the main vocalist of a very popular girl group.” Irene explained. “She’s interested in wearing one of your dresses to the Awards so make sure she still wants it, but don’t promise anything.”

“Look at her in the eyes.” Wendy suggested. “Be kind to her.”

“But not too kind.” Irene intervened. “Be gentle, compliment her looks, maybe even hold her hand.”

“She’s a very skilled dancer, so perhaps compliment her work a little.” Wendy said while tapping Lisa’s hand.

“Make sure you guys seem like friends and that’s when we’ll get it.” Irene said and the older duo got up from the table, leaving her alone.

Lisa tried asking what they meant by “getting it” but she couldn’t as the duo was nowhere to be seen. So she ordered a glass of water and waited for that Solar girl to arrive, regaining her confidence to do exactly as she was told.

Turned out that Solar was a very good looking woman, a bit shorter than her, but very sweet and cute. Not as cute as Rosé, but probably just as famous. Or perhaps not, Lisa didn’t really know many people in the music industry nor did she care to actually learn about it.

“Oh, I know you!” Lisa said while smiling, despite not knowing a single thing about the woman before her. “You’re in that girl group! You guys are really good.”

“Yes, I’m Solar from Mamamoo and you’re Lisa Manoban!” Solar said, smiling back and bowing a little. “It’s a pleasure to finally meet you!”

The two shared some small talk and Lisa attentively listened to what the woman had to say, smiling politely every time she paused, taking the woman’s hand on her own to express how grateful she was to have that lunch with the singer. Although it was some play-pretend, the designer actually found Solar interesting and wished she had met the woman under different circumstances.

In less than an hour later, photos of the designer and Solar were all over the internet, thanks to Wendy’s very good iPhone camera. That was the very first step in their small side-plan of getting Rosé to find Lalisa interesting, awakening within her a sudden need to be dressed up by her to the MAMA. 


 

Meanwhile, somewhere else in Seoul

Rosé was tired and a highly irritated due to her endless agenda that consisted in her full schedule of press conferences which only cared about one exact thing: the MAMA Awards in Seoul which she would be presenting, that is, hosting very soon.

The journalists didn’t even bother to ask her questions about her new music which had recently came out. It felt awful as all they asked was about the Awards and all she did was tease about a great designer that would dress her up, someone she still had yet to decide who would be.

All the options she had considered thus far were either boring or too cliché and Rosé knew she needed someone special, someone who would make her feel unique and flawless. It had to be someone she admired, a great designer with a coming-of-age concept for the royalty themed event.

Jisoo Kim, her manager, walked into the changing room she was resting in. They had a very good professional relationship, Jisoo and Rosé, as they mutually respected and trusted each other, which was something quite essential but rare in the music industry.

Rosé flipped her red hair away from her face when Jisoo sat next to her, dressed so nicely and with her black hair securely combed back in a ponytail. She looked at her manager, letting a big frustrated sigh out as they were still looking for someone to dress her. They had been searching nonstop and according to Jisoo’s face, she had great news.

“Chaeyoung-ah, did you read this?”

It was an online article posted a few minutes prior to that moment that stated that Solar, Rosé’s enemy, had been chatting with Lalisa Manoban, an iconic fashion designer, about her look for the MAMA.

The post was very detailed and it also included a picture, in absurd high quality, of the two talking happily while sharing a meal in a very fancy restaurant. They looked like close friends who were having a great time and the single thought of it made Rosé’s blood boil.

“Lalisa is one of my closest friends and she seems like the perfect designer for you, what do you think?” Jisoo asked when Rosé stayed completely silent. “Because if you don’t want her, I’m sure Solar would love to have her.”

“What are we waiting for, then? Let’s set up a meeting with her ASAP.” Rosé huffed. “Preferably in an even nicer restaurant.”

Not long after, Irene, who had been not so secretly working for Lisa as her secretary, arranging the meeting with Solar and seeking for an opportunity to contact Rosé, received a message from the singer’s manager, Jisoo Kim herself.

She smiled, showing the other two the message. It was very straightforward and it kindly demanded, something that Irene didn’t even think it was possible, a meeting between the two: Rosé and Lisa, mean to happen in the following day, during lunchtime at one of Seoul’s most expensive restaurant.

It was perfect. Irene confirmed Lisa’s attendance to the meeting, not even bothering to ask if Lisa was free or not at that time, because that was the unmissable opportunity they had been looking for and, just like they had envisioned, the awards’ host took the bait.

“Lisa, be ready. Tomorrow at noon, you’ll finally meet Rosé. Don’t blow this up.”


 


The hours went by quickly that day, and before they three knew it, another day had risen and they were all squeezing in the back seat of a cab again: Irene on the right, Lisa in the middle and Wendy on the left, on their way to Rosé’s meeting.

Wendy wasn’t very fond of the idea of taking cabs everywhere, especially when she had a perfectly functioning car at home. But Irene insisted on taking taxis as she said it wouldn’t raise any suspicion or investigation on them in the near future, after the heist. She hoped the leader was right, because she couldn’t stand taxing smelly cabs.

Lisa, on the other hand, didn’t really mind taking cabs at all and she didn’t even complain about it, because her inner turmoil was triggering her social anxiety so much that she actually kept shut the entire time. But she would calm down as soon as she could breathe properly, when they would arrive at the restaurant.

Once they reached their destination, Wendy thanked the driver while paying him. They all got off the car and, by the time they got close to the restaurant’s entrance, Lisa was sweating, even though the weather was still ridiculously cold and the trio wore very nice fluffy overall coats.

“I’m okay, everything will be fine.” Lisa told herself, out loud. “She’s just very pretty and breathtakingly talented, with body of a top model. Just a client.”

“Is she having a gay panic attack?” Wendy whispered to Irene, who just shrugged.

“Lisa, this is your time to shine.” Irene said, while making eye contact with the designer. “Remember everything we planned, but don’t look too interested or immersed in whatever conversation you guys have.”

“A slight rejection is the key. She’ll be even more into you.” Wendy explained and winked.

“We’ll be outside watching you.” Irene warned but gave her a warm smile. “Good luck.”

Both women disappeared into the crowded street of Seoul, leaving the designer alone by the restaurant’s door. Lalisa decided to go in first, taking the seat the maître offered to her, according to Rosé’s reservation, while she took deep long breaths in an attempt to calm down her own nerves.

Rosé arrived not too long after and, after they introduced themselves each other, bowing respectfully, the singer took the seat across Lisa in the table. The woman was just as beautiful as Lisa had seen in the pictures, but twice as sweeter and enticingly charming.

Apparently, there would only the two of them having lunch and Lalisa sighed in relief. That was a good sign because she could them focus on her main objective which was to make Rosé choose her as the official fashion designer for the MAMA Awards. Easy.

“Thank you so much for attending this so last minute. I’m such an admirer of yours.” Rosé said, her voice just as sweet as her. “I have so many of our pieces.”

“Really?” Lisa curiously asked, her eyes sparkling.

“Yeah! I love your work.”

Lisa nodded and she received a message at the same time. It was Irene saying that she should avoid having that much eye contact with the singer, but how could she when Rosé looked that good and was just in front of her. And how could those two know she was staring at Rosé?

She discreetly locked her phone and looked up only to find both Irene and Wendy staring at her through one of the restaurant large glass windows, in the far back. They were both wearing large sunglasses that she didn’t remember seeing them like that before, but it was comical and she stifled a laugh.

Rosé kept on talking about her endless search to find the perfect designer for her dress to the MAMA and how she then found out that Lisa was available while Lisa herself was nodding along, too distracted by the duo’s antics outside that consisted of them wearing masks of Rosé and then play-fighting with bubbles.

They were so weird, but very entertaining at the same time. Lisa wondered how they took all of that with them without her noticing it, as if she remembered correctly, they weren’t carrying purses with them. Interesting.

“Hey, are you ok?” Rosé asked, getting annoyed for not having all of Lisa’s attention on her. “What’s going on outside?”

The singer turned around to look at the windows, but thankfully the duo vanished just in time. Lisa almost sighed in relief, smiling politely at Rosé who narrowed her eyes suspecting something, but decided to wave it off. After all, she couldn’t stress for nothing.

“I’m sorry, what were you saying?” Lisa asked. “It’s just a lot going on.

“I’m trying to hire you, for the MAMA. To dress me, you know.”

“Right, thank you. My honor.” Lisa said, fighting off a smile.

“Yeah, right, I’m flattered.” Rosé said and they decided to order the food.

At the same minute, paparazzi where spying them for outside, taking pictures of the two girls chatting happily. Soon enough, hundreds of pictures of the two were all over the internet and right after Vogue published an article making it official: Lalisa Manoban would dress Chaeyoung Park or Rosé for the MAMA in Seoul.