Chapter 1

♛ 𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕬𝖋𝖗𝖊𝖓𝖉𝖆𝖗𝖎𝖚𝖒 ♛
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

[CONTENTID1] Chapter 1 [/CONTENTID1]

 

[CONTENTID2] Only in the darkness can you see the stars. [/CONTENTID2]

 

[CONTENTID3]  MARTIN LUTHER KING [/CONTENTID3]

 

 [CONTENTID4]

 

18 years old Jungkook. 

 
 

“ Mum? Where are you? Please don’t leave me... “  


 

Jungkook snapped open his eyes, bolted up straight, sweat began to form on his forehead, running down his pale face, he hesitated for a few seconds before he realised that he’s running out of breath, his fists clenched so tightly together that you can see his white knuckles ever so clearly. He looked around, totally unaware of his surroundings. 
 

 
 

It’s another nightmare.  

 

 
 

It took him a good few seconds before he recognised his current location, slowly calming himself down while relaxing his tensed muscles. 
 

 
 

He’s on the bus, on his way to the Afrendarium, the place he’d always dreamed about, the place where his parents had always talked to him about, his dream of becoming an Afrenda finally peeked over the mountains of struggles today.  

 
 
 

Looking around, he slowly observed the rest of the bus, some people chatting excitedly, some looking dull and bored, while some sleeping. They’re going to be his future classmates, these people surrounding him this current moment.  

 
 
 

He suddenly thought of his parents. He grew up in a foster family with his foster parents in the human world. The things that happened to him and his biological parents before the age of five is a blur in his head for Jungkook, only getting snippets of flashbacks in his nightmares every so often. He’s well aware of the fact that his biological parents are long dead. He gets frustrated because every time he tries to remember what haunts him back are immeasurable fears and desperation. The memories might varnish but the feelings would never, it still remained in the darkest parts within Jungkook. 

 
 

 

His foster parents are really friendly and kind people, they offered him a place to stay with a secure roof over his head, they feed him and remain patient with him even during his darkest times. He’s thankful of them and wish to do well in the Afrendarium and repay back this favour. But at their place he can never feel the same way as he felt at home, back with his mum and his dad. 

 

 
 

Jungkook admits that he’s the quiet, shy type of boy. Never the talkative type, he can’t really stay in a conversation with people he doesn’t know too well before it gets awkward, and his usual stuttering overtake him and anxiety will never fail to come.  

 
 
 

It’s got a lot to do with what happened when he’s five. 

 
 
 

When people learn about his story, they always look at him with sad, pitying eyes. He hated the feeling; he hates people who feels sorry for him, all he wanted is a normal life as a normal boy, he doesn’t want those dark past haunt him for the rest of his life. 

 

 
 

As an Afrenda, as one of the few young people who were chosen to be the ones that have the capability to conduct magic, his number one priority is to keep this a secret from humans. It’s like he’s born with this instinct, no matter how close him and his foster parents were he’d never spill about the Afrendarium.  

 

 
 

Two months ago, during the summer holidays, he had received a letter from the Afredarium notifying him that he’s due to attend at the beginning of September. This is it; this is how he found himself on this seemingly old bus on his way to the magic school. 

 
 
 

He gazed out of the window while leaning on his elbow, completely lost in his own thoughts as the chill morning breeze run through him.  

 
 
 

“ Jungkook, don’t lose this, remember don’t lose this… “ 

 

 
 

Those were his mother’s last words before she’s completely swallowed into darkness. 

 
 
 

He felt a light knock on his shoulder that broke him off his thoughts. 

 
 

 

He looked to the space beside him and was shocked to see a guy’s head leaning against his shoulder, his eyes closed, gently breathing in and out and seemed perfectly at peace right this moment.  

 

 

The stranger has sharp but cute features, with thin, dry lips, tanned and perfect skin while his dark brown curls gently swayed in front of his face.  

 

 

Jungkook tensed but didn’t budge, not wanting to wake the other boy up, but he caught some girls looking at him with curious eyes and returning with giggles. 

 

 

The bus drove over a ramp as everyone simultaneously shot upwards and Jungkook felt the weight on his shoulder shifting to the other side.  

 

 
 

The guy slowly opened his eyes, his eyelashes long and his eyebrows dark, he looked around before he let out a big yawn, stretching out lazily as his gaze then fell and focused on Jungkook who’s staring at him with no emotion displayed on his face.  

 
 
 

“ Is, is there something wrong ? “ He asked with a surprisingly deep voice. He stopped moving immediately, staring at Jungkook with a confused expression, waiting for the other boy to respond. 

 

 
 

Jungkook coughed before he answered, and broke the stare, “ No big deal, you fell asleep and you were kind of… leaning on me. ” Jungkook muttered. 

 
 
 

“ Sorry ! “ The guy’s face lined with amusement as he stared at Jungkook. “ By the way my name is Taehyung. Kim Taehyung. We’re going to be classmates anyways so there it’s no harm to introduce myself. “ Taehyung smiled. Looking rather charming, he holds out one of his hands to Jungkook. Jungkook realised such gesture is enough to make any girl faint as he also reached out and took the boy’s hand.  

 
 

 

“ Name’s Jungkook. “  

 

 
 

Being the quiet type, Jungkook felt awkward and uneasy, he didn’t know what to say, he also didn’t feel the need to start a conversation with someone he barely knows.  

 
 
 

“ We should be mates, you know, it feels pretty good to have someone on your first day. Maybe we’ll even share the same dorm. “ Taehyung started this conversation with light tones.  

 
 
 

Jungkook smiled. It feels so good to have a talkative friend he supposes.  

 

 

“ Agreed. So have you got any idea about the place we’re heading to? “  

 

 
 

Taehyung observed Jungkook quietly before he answered, “ You know what… “he suddenly leaned in, his eyes looking around, making sure no one’s listening. He hands signalling Jungkook to lean in as well.  
 

 
 

“ The Afrendarium actually has an untold secret that’s kept amongst all the masters there. “ Taehyung whispered mysteriously, while checking for any eavesdroppers.  

 
 
 

Jungkook nodded curiously. He wanted to know more. 
 

 
 

Taehyung continued, “ My granddad told me that the school was supposed to protect some, some extremely important and powerful substance they call... The Daedra Spirit. But they lost it and it might be on the hands on the enemy. It was lost a long time ago you know so anything could have happened. “ Taehyung whispered, not looking at Jungkook.  

 
 

 

Daedra Spirit. 

 
 
 

Something triggered inside Jungkook. It was the purple magical substance that keeps reappearing in his dreams. The spirit that his parents dedicated their lives to protect.  

 

 
 

“ And two Afrendas lost their lives while protecting it…“ Taehyung continued. Not realising Jungkook’s uneasy situation. 
 

 
 

Those distant memories were hidden inside him, a part of him choose to forget it but how is that even possible when it left an untreatable mark on him?  

 
 
 

He tried to recall back to that day as he gripped his bag so hard that you can see the whitened knuckles pop out visibly. 

 
 
 

Jungkook tried his best not to focus too much on Taehyung’s words but failed miserably. He didn’t want to embarrass himself in front everyone but the image of his father’s chopped off head replayed itself countless times already.  
 

 
 

He’s running out of breath, he started to inhale and exhale heavily, one of his hand on his chest. The ringing in his ear drums getting louder as his heart jumped in an incredible speed. Seeing him struggle made Taehyung stop talking completely. 

 

 
 

“ Um… You alright Jungkook ? “ Taehyung asked uneasily. Not knowing what to do as he placed a hand on Jungkook’s shoulder. 

 
 
 

Jungkook’s throat and lips are so dry that he’s unable to hear or answer Taehyung, he panicked. He started to shake his head violently, not wanting to start a mess on the bus. He shut his eyes tightly, trying to ignore the nauseous feeling that’s building inside him, threatening to escape every second.  

 
 

 
When he opened his eyes again, everything’s blurry. He turned around, only catching Taehyung running up to the bus driver and asking him to stop the bus. And he can feel everyone staring at him. And that didn’t help at all. 

 
 
 

He can feel Taehyung’s tight grip on his arm, pulling him to his feet and dragging him outside. He felt too weak to even protest. He’s arms and legs are wobbly, he’s head spinning. 

 
 

 

He slumped to the ground, trying his best to take in the fresh air outside, the cool hard ground somehow knocked some senses into him. Taehyung crouched beside him, talking but he couldn’t hear a thing. He tried to think of something else but it’s damn hard because he’s caught up in the midst of everything.  
 

 
 

The picture of his mum dying, swallowed in the darkness came to his mind when the whole world started to spin around him and his head finally dropped. 

 

 

---( ✽ )--- 

 
 

“ Is he okay ? What is wrong with him ? “ 

 

 
 

He heard someone’s voice.  

 
 
 

“ I don’t know. Maybe he has motion sickness ? He’s only holding us up ! “Another voice replied.  

 
 
 

“ Hey hey hey give him some space for God’s sake! “ 

 

 
 

This time it’s Taehyung’s voice. 

 
 
 

Jungkook gradually opened his eyes, the sun is so bright he had to close them again. He’s so tired and sweaty, all his energy gone in what felt like seconds, his mind blurry but he remembered being dragged off the bus and collapsing in front of everyone. 

 

 

What a great way to start off the day. 

 
 
 

“ Jungkook ? Jungkook ! Can you hear me ? “ 

 

 
 

Jungkook opened his eyes completely, he slowly helped himself up with his elbow, embarrassed as everyone’s gazes are focused on him.  

 
 
 

“ Jungkook! Jeez mate you scared me.“ Taehyung put a hand on his shoulder, letting out a relieved sign. 

 
 

 
“ Sorry. “ Jungkook looked around with his hand rubbing his neck uncomfortably.  

 
 
 

“ Hey kid, you alright now ? “ 

 
 

 

The bus driver. He pushed everyone out of the way and bent beside Jungkook. He put one of his big hand on Jungkook’s shoulder lightly. The bus driver’s a tall man with a weird looking beard and a gentle smile. 

 
 
 

“ Yeah I’m fine. I just got a bit sick, it’s nothing. Sorry for the delay. We should get going. “ Jungkook replied quickly, not making any direct eye contact as his face burned slowly. He doesn’t get this type of panic attacks that often but when he does, it’s not easy to shake off. Somehow the closer they get to the school the more those images and memories haunts him. 

 
 
 

He stood up, trying to find Taehyung but realised he’s talking to a pretty girl. She has big brown eyes, long lashes, a small face and lips painted bright red. She has bright orange hair colour. She looked kind of tomboyish but definitely beautiful. She’s wearing a tight pink top with a pair of black jeans. 

 
 
 

Jungkook’s about to walk away when he heard his name being called. Then Taehyung and the girl walked up to him. 

 
 
 

“ Hey buddy you sure you’re alright now ? You scared me back there. “ 

 
 
 

Taehyung asked, sounding extremely concerned. It warms Jungkook how he cared about him even though they’ve just met. 

 
 
 

“ I’m alright. That won’t happen again. I promise. “ 

 
 
 

They got on the bus, sat at the back and the girl introduced herself. 

 
 
 

“ I’m Lalisa Manoban, just call me Lisa. “ The girl said confidently while offering a bright smile. 

 
 
 

Jungkook nodded and also introduced himself. At the same time he caught Taehyung looking at Lisa with a dreamy and nervous expression at the corner of his eye. 

 

 

Interesting.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter