Silence

convergence • baekhyun x chanyeol
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

At first he thought about just taking the bus. The idea of turning up at his family home in a new car would open up a lot of questions immediately. But Chanyeol wouldn't have it and eventually Baekhyun realised he was right. Why take a bus when he has a perfectly good car?

So a few hours after he waved goodbye to everyone in the world he loved his neat and shiny little blue car rumbled along the rocky dirt road. He had been singing along loudly to his favourite pop songs while he drove and the trip had gone quickly. Now he was here. Ready to face their questions, their judgement, their opinions. The drive had cleared his mind and the wide open space made him feel free again.

He parked his car, stepped up to the doorstep, and walked in. "Baek!" His Mum was on him in an instant. She scooped him up in a huge hug and then stared at him suspiciously. "You look different." He laughed. "Nope. Same old me. Where's Dad?" "You know what it's like Baek. He's out in the field with Uncle and Grandad." Baekhyun lugged his bag into the house. "Couch?" He said. "Yep. Your bed was claimed as soon as you left." Baekhyun smiled as he dragged his case inside and into the huge living room. The couch looked sufficient, he was only small, and his tiredness made it even more inviting. But he wanted to look around first. He had only been gone a matter of months. It felt like a lifetime.

He walked across the field to where half his family were cutting lettuce from the dirt. It was hard work but honest and nothing to be ashamed of. It had put food in the mouths of Baekhyun and his family for as long as any of them could remember. But when Baekhyun walked across the field, the wind in his too long hair, a soft rim of eyeliner around his lids, Chanyeol's grey sweater enveloping his body, he knew it wasn't his place anymore. He didn't belong. He wondered if he ever really did.

He was hugged almost to death while the men of his household surrounded him. They laughed as they ruffled his hair and tutted over his skinny limbs. He had always been the smallest one in his family and many of his uncles had taken to calling him the runt. With affection of course.

As they all headed together to the house for dinner they were joined by the cousins home from school. Taller and louder, Baekhyun had missed them all, he loved every single one. But none of them were Taeyong with his fierce gaze.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter