Rhythm

convergence • baekhyun x chanyeol
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Days turned into weeks as they settled into a rhythm. Five days a week Chanyeol's life was almost perfect. He would work hard during the day, his mind sharper every day, his body stronger from the regular rest and decent meals. He would sleep longer and better during the night, his tormenting dreams subsiding, his need for a late night wine diminished. He almost felt like his old self again. He almost felt whole.

The boys were so much more enjoyable now they had a routine. On weekends Chanyeol would make sure to take them to the park so they could run off their energy. At home he would bath them, feed them, and herd them into bed. He read and read but it didn't quite have the same hypnotic effect that Baekhyun's voice did. But still, they would relent, and settle down for the night. And every time Chanyeol was able to sink into a comfy chair and put his feet up before 10pm he would silently thank whatever deity generously bestowed Baekhyun upon his life.

Baekhyun.

The kid who appeared in Chanyeol's life like a angel. He was like a walking, talking, living, breathing miracle. Chanyeol couldn't get him out of his brain. Everywhere he went in his house he was invaded by thoughts of the kid.

The kitchen where Baekhyun cooked meals and plated them up - leaving them in the fridge with little smiley face notes.

The couch where he shared an awkward conversation, sitting both way too close, while also too far away. The armchair where Baekhyun liked to sit which had begun to take on the sweet scent of Baekhyun's favourite shampoo.

The bathroom where Baekhyun bathed the boys and folded their clothes but was still too shy to fold Chanyeol's. And still apologetic about it.

The invitation had been sitting on his desk for ages. He turned it over in his hands as he looked at the clock. It was 3:27pm on a beautiful Monday afternoon and Chanyeol knew the boys would all be at the park running off their energy. He had been avoiding the invitation all week but he knew he had to accept. He called Kai into his office. "Call Yifan and RSVP for me. I'll go to the party." Kai raised an eyebrow. "One person or two?" Chanyeol leaned back in his chair. "Two."

Baekhyun was clattering away at his keyboard when the lock turned and the door swung open. He looked up to se Chanyeol walk in. He was dressed in a nice dark suit with a black shirt and grey tie. Baekhyun had sneaked a peek in his closet the other day just to marvel at the beautiful suits and crisp dress shirts and a whole drawer full of ties. Red, grey, purple, even green. No blue. Chanyeol never wore a blue tie.

As his tall boss strode towards him Baekhyun smiled his sunniest smile unselfconsciously. It was a reflex. He couldn't help it. He saved his document and looked at the clock. It was almost 8pm. "Did you have a good day?" Baekhyun tried to make conversation to cover his awkwardness. "Yeah." Chanyeol smiled. "You?" Baekhyun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter