Chapter 17

I’m not over you

 

Donghae and Jessica left the hospital. Jessica looked over at Donghae to make sure he was alright. He looked alright… although he didn’t seem to notice that he was about to walk into a pole.

Jessica grabbed Donghae’s arm and pulled him aside. Donghae snapped out of his fantasy or worries and came back to reality. He saw Jessica holding onto his arm. She looked worried. Had he really almost ran into a pole.

“Donghae, are you okay?” Jessica gazed into Donghae’s eyes. She could see that he was so out of it. He needed to forget about everything. Jessica began to pull on his arm. She dragged him to her car. “Let’s go. I think you really need this.”

“Where are we?” Donghae peered outside the car window. The car pulled up into a parking lot.

Jessica remained silent. “Let’s go.” She opened her door and got out of the car. She walked over to the other side and opened Donghae’s door. “Let’s go,” she repeated. She held out her hand.

Donghae looked around. Looked like an amusement park. What were they doing here?

         Jessica saw the look of confusion on his face. “You need to relax.” Jessica just wanted him to ” Jessica straight out said. She stuck out her hand, “Ready to have fun?”

Donghae shrugged. Not really. He looked back at Jessica. She was being so nice to him. He still didn’t really know her too well but for some reason she was treating him so well. Was it out of pity? Donghae looked deep into her eyes. She seemed to genuinely just want to have fun. So be it.

Donghae held out his hand. He could see a look of confusion and embarrassment cross her face. And for some reason he thought it was cute. Donghae laughed and took his hand back. “Come on.” He led the way. It turned out that Jessica had brought them to an amusement park.

Jessica scurried after Donghae to catch up with him. They walked into the amusement park.

Of course there was a line. Donghae and Jessica stood on line. It was quiet between them. Jessica looked up at him. She thought he was cute. Should she tell him that or would it be weird?

Donghae looked down at Jessica and caught her looking at him. When their eyes met, Jessica looked away. Donghae pursed his lips together. Why was he feeling shy all of a sudden? He looked in the opposite direction.

When he looked away, Donghae made eye contact with a woman who was staring at him. Okay… Awkward… Donghae looked away. “Is it just me, or is that lady over there looking this way?” Donghae whispered to Jessica.

Jessica glanced over at the woman. At Jessica’s ice cold stare, the woman looked away. “Not anymore.” Jessica punched Donghae lightly, “You know, she was totally checking you out.”

Donghae started to laugh, “No way. She was just looking this way.”

Jessica narrowed her eyes at Donghae, “Trust me. She was checking you out. I would know.” She glanced back over and caught the woman staring at Donghae once again. “And she’s doing it again.”

Donghae surprised Jessica by taking her hand. “Well, if you don’t mind.” He hoped that his actions did the rest of the talking. Donghae interlocked his fingers with Jessica’s.

Jessica was taken aback. What was he doing? Jessica felt her face turn all red. She froze as Donghae leaned in closer to her and blew her ear. “What are you doing?” Jessica squeaked.

Donghae laughed, “Calm down, Jess.” His smile made Jessica’s heart beat faster. Jessica glanced over at the woman. She was now looking away. Jessica could see that she had an annoyed expression on her face.

The line moved up a little and together they moved up in the line. They were still holding hands. Jessica felt her hands grow sweaty with embarrassment. Eww, gross, Jessica thought to herself. Donghae didn’t seem to mind though.

Soon enough, they got to the front of the line. “Two tickets.” Donghae held up two fingers.

The amusement park worker just stared at Donghae, “You’re Lee Donghae aren’t you?”

Donghae nodded. Did he know this lady?

She saw that he didn’t seem to recognize her, “I’m Jungsu! Nam Jungsu! From high school.”

Donghae’s face lit up, “Oh! It’s you! How’ve you been?”

While the two of them talked, Jessica felt a little awkward. She waited patiently as they caught up. She couldn’t help but feel a little… jealous? Her eyes drifted down to her hand interlocked with Donghae’s. This made her feel happy…

“Who’s this here?” Jungsu asked Donghae.

Donghae looked over at Jessica. Jessica looked up and stared back at Donghae. What was he going to say?

“She’s my-” Donghae was cut off by Jessica who interrupted and finished his statement.

“Girlfriend!” Jessica blurted out.

“Oh, okay.” Jungsu smiled at her, “You’re lucky! Donghae is such a great person.” She smiled at Donghae too, “So that’ll be two tickets?”

“Yes.” Jessica nodded.

After they’d gotten their tickets, they walked off into the amusement park. It was quiet. Jessica didn’t really know what to say. She was still embarrassed from before. She wanted to tell him that she had feelings for him. She knew it was kind of quick and maybe very sudden, but she wanted to do it now. She stopped walking.

Donghae stopped when he realized that she was no longer walking alongside him. “What’s wrong, Jessica?”

Jessica’s eyes met Donghae’s. “Donghae, I know it hasn’t been long, but I think I like you.” She felt her cheeks burning with embarrassment.

Donghae’s eyes drifted to the floor and then landed on her. “Look, Jessica.”

Here it comes. He’s going to reject me. Jessica had never been rejected in her life. She had always gotten whatever she wanted. This was going to be the first. She didn’t know how she’d deal with it, but she really wanted to find out. It was sudden that she’d ended up liking him so much. In their short time together, Jessica knew this was sure.

“I think you’re a nice girl.” Nice? “And you’re beautiful. But.” But…. “I just got dumped today with a woman I’ve been with for seven years. Also, I haven’t known you for a long time.”

Jessica felt her heart sink, “I understand.” Now it’d be awkward…

“But.” Another but. “I do have to admit that I want to get to know you.” Donghae confessed.

Jessica noticed that Donghae was scratching his neck. Was he nervous? Jessica felt herself blush. So it wasn’t a full rejection.

“Which rides do you like to ride?” Donghae asked Jessica. Having Jessica here would help him get over Yoona.