Chapter 15

I’m not over you

Donghae opened the door. Surely, on the bed lay Ryeowook. His eyes were closed. Yoona and Donghae walked over. Yoona looked down at Ryeowook. He looked so helpless. She’d never seen him so small and fragile.

Donghae watched from behind as Yoona stood by Ryeowook’s side. This was how it was supposed to be. He didn’t feel bad for himself.

Yoona looked at Ryeowook. His leg was drawn up into a cast. He was  pale color. His lips were dried and cracked. Yoona felt like crying. Her heart was breaking into a million pieces.

Donghae stepped back. Maybe he should give Nana some time alone with Ryeowook. Afterall, he felt like he did not belong here. He never had. He headed to the door. When he opened the door, he found Jessica on the other side. “I think we should give them a minute.” Donghae and Jessica headed down the hall.

“Is everything alright between you and Nana?” Jessica asked Donghae as they walked down the hall.

Donghae shrugged, “I don’t know. She seems to be mad at me and I completely understand.” Donghae saw two chairs and sat down. “I think she knows now that her and Ryeowook were together. I don’t know if she remembers though. She’d giving me the silent treatment, which is kind of scaring me since I’ve never seen her like this.”

Jessica nodded. She patted his shoulder. “I see your point. I mean, if I was in your position and found Nana laying helplessly in my neighborhood, I would also have taken her in and taken care of her as if she was my own. You did the right thing. She just doesn’t see that.” Jessica continued to pat his shoulder.

“I just hope that Ryeowook and Yoona can see that too,” Donghae mumbled under his breath.

“They will.” Jessica replied. She placed her head onto his shoulder.

Yoona lay her head down on Ryeowook. She sat by his side. “Ryeowook… It’s me, Yoona. I’m back.” She paused and felt around for his hand. She held onto it. “I’m not going to ever let go of your hand. You and me will be together forever. When you get better, we are going to finish the unfinished business we left seven years ago. I want to become Mrs. Kim for you.” She closed her eyes.

“Get her off of me please.”

Yoona woke up to the sound of Ryeowook’s voice. Had he woken up? She lifted her head and met eye contact with Ryeowook. It was her Ryeowook. He looked a little tired, but otherwise, fine.

“Who are you?” Ryeowook asked Yoona.

Yoona was shocked. What was going on? “Ryeowook, I’m Yoona. Well, you knew me as Nana, but I’ve regained my memory and I remember now that I’m Yoona.”

“Yoona?”

Yoona felt tears coming to her eyes. Was this some kind of joke? She got up and went to find a nurse. “Ryeowook had woken up. He seems a bit confused. He doesn’t seem to know who I am.”

The nurse went to check on Ryeowook. The doctor also came to check on Ryeowook. Yoona stood on the side nervously. What was happening? She looked around. And where the heck were Donghae and Jessica?

After the doctor was finished checking Ryeowook, he went over to Yoona. “So it appears that he is a little confused now. That is common after an incident like this. Give him a little time and he should be okay.”

Yoona nodded. She sure hoped so.

Donghae and Jessica met Yoona at the cafe. “Are you alright?” Jessica asked Yoona.

“I have something to tell you.” Yoona directed her attention at Donghae.

Jessica took this as a sign to leave. “I’ll be around the corner.”

Yoona met eye contact with Donghae. It felt like a long time since they’d last spoken. “I know everything.”

Donghae nodded. He knew already. That was why she was not talking to him. “I can ex-”

“And I’m not mad at you.”

Donghae was shocked. She wasn’t?

“I know you saved me, a complete stranger and it was a big responsibility and risk, but you still did it.” Yoona made eye contact with him. “And I thank you for taking care of me and loving me, but-”

Here was the but.

“I know who I was now and where I was supposed to be, and I intend to go back to being who I was supposed to be.” Yoona looked away, “That being said, I think this is it for us.”

Yoona stood up, “Thank you for telling me to go and see Ryeowook.”

Donghae remained silent. He wasn’t sure how he was feeling. He had known this was coming sooner or later so he was not surprised. He did feel heart broken though. It was so strange. All her care for him had just vanished with those memories that they’d had together. The past seven years were gone.