Chapter 14

I’m not over you

Nana sat outside in the waiting room. Ryeowook had been rushed into the emergency room. It was all her fault. Why had she not realized earlier? She was not Nana Lee. She didn’t even know who Nana Lee was. Who had she been for these past seven years? Living as someone else? She was Yoona Im! She thought back to when she’d first met Ryeowook back in college. He’d been such a nerd, a cute nerd. Yoona smiled to herself as she remembered how they’d been paired for an activity in their music class. Yoona had no sense of musical talent at all. She was taking this class because she heard that it was easy.

    Ryeowook turned out to be a Mozart. He knew everything about music and even composed some music himself. He’d taught her to play some songs on the piano and guitar. Every time they had projects, the two of them would work together. He’d compose and play the music and Yoona sand.

    Yoona nibbled on her bottom lip nervously. She really hoped that he’d be alright. She didn’t know how she was going to live if something happened to him.

    At that moment, Donghae and Jessica rushed into the emergency room. “What’s his condition?” Jessica asked.

    Yoona looked up at Donghae and Jessica. “I don’’t know…”

    “What happened?” Jessica sat down next to Yoona.

    “”He pushed me out of the way. Otherwise I would be the one in the emergency room.” Yoona felt guilty. “It’s all my fault.”

    Jessica hugged Yoona, “He’d going to be alright. I know it!” Jessica patted Yoona’s back.    

Donghae stood there weirdly. Nana probably knew everything now. She was probably furious with him. He avoided eye contact with her.

They waited in silence until the emergency light went out. Once it did, Yoona and Jessica rushed to the doctor’s side. “How’s Ryeowook?”

The doctor smiled, “Ryeowook just has some minor injuries. His leg was sprained. And his arm was broken. Other than that, we see nothing serious neurologically. He just needs to get some rest. He seems to have been stressed out recently.”

Yoona breathed a sigh of relief. Thank goodness it was nothing too serious.

“He’ll be in room 1407,” the doctor told them.

Yoona, Jessica, and Donghae went to take the elevator up to the fourth floor. On the way they stopped by a cafe. “I’m getting a drink. Do either of you want anything to drink?” Jessica asked Donghae and Yoona in front of the elevator.

“I’m good.” Donghae replied.

“No thank you.” Yoona shook her head.

“Alright. You can head up first. I’m going to grab something from the cafe.” Jessica headed in the other direction.

Yoona and Donghae just stood awkwardly while waiting for the elevator. The elevator arrived and they both got into the empty elevator. They both reached for the button. Donghae’s hand brushed against Yoona’s. Yoona quickly removed her hand. She stood on the opposite side from Donghae.

“Look Nana. I’m sorry about everything. You probably know everything now. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you the truth about your identity. But it’s because I honestly didn’t know who  you were either.” Donghae explained. He still did not make eye contact with her.

Yoona remained silent. She didn’t know if it was anger she way feeling. Or maybe it was betrayal. Maybe she felt a little sad too. She had loved Donghae. Maybe she could see beyond everything and forgive him. Yoona wasn’t sure if she felt ready to forgive him yet. She didn’t even know why she was angry at him, but she was. Or maybe she was angry at herself.

“I don’t know if you can find the place in your heart to forgive me, but I’m truly sorry. I understand if we can no longer be together. There is someone else out there that is waiting for you. Even though he’s not in the best condition now I know he really wanted to see you again.” Donghae spoke quickly. He just wanted to get out all his current feelings now. He didn’t know if he’d ever get the chance to tell her after this. “Please just do me one favor. Listen to my story and everything I know about you. Maybe this will help you get back to where you really belong.”

Yoona continued to remain silent. The elevator door opened. They’d arrived at the fourteenth floor. Yoona stepped out first and she walked down the hall.

Donghae got out of the elevator. “Umm, Nana. It’s this way.” He gestured in the opposite direction from where she was heading.

Yoona turned around and followed Donghae.

They arrived at room 1407.