Chapter 10

I’m not over you

 

Ryeowook sat in his office. It was the end of the work day and everyone had gone home. Ryeowook couldn’t stop thinking about Nana’s reaction. I don’t know. I don’t even know why that’s important. Had he been too nosy with this whole interview thing? Or did she really not know. Ryeowook wasn’t sure what he’d really gotten out of this interview. It had just left him even more perplexed. Taeyeon’s interviews seemed to have worked out just fine. She had positive feedback about every single one of them.

Back at home, Donghae was waiting for Yoona. He’d gotten back from work and found that Nana wasn’t even home yet. He had a feeling he knew what she wanted to talk about. She had seemed upset with him earlier. But she wasn’t even home yet. He wondered as to where she could be.

He went to the kitchen to warm up something to eat.

Just then, the front door opened and Nana walked in. She dropped her bag and walked into the kitchen. Donghae turned around and gave her a small smile. He didn’t know if a big smile was appropriate right now.

“Donghae, I want to know about my past. I don’t have a clue about my family or life before you saved me and I want to know.” Nana took Donghae’s hand and they walked out into the living room. They sat down together. When she’d first woken up and seen Donghae’s face she’d thought she was dead and that this face she was seeing was an angel’s. “Do you know what my name really is and who I really am?”

To be honest, Donghae did not. He didn’t know who she was before he gave her a new identity. He’d just been lucky to have been the one to have saved her. It could’ve been anyone. He did know one thing though. He knew that she had ties with Ryeowook. He knew that she was originally Ryeowook’s woman and the mere thought of that made Donghae feel angry and a little guilty too. Should he tell her? “Seven years ago, I found you on the corner of our block, lying limp and bleeding on the ground. It was raining that evening and no one else seemed to see you. I happened to be coming home from university. I was arriving home later than usual because as we know on rainy days everything slows down. And I saw you laying on the ground. The street light was shining down on the street next to where you lay. If I wasn’t walking that way, I don’t think anyone would’ve seen you. It was pretty abandoned. I took you to the hospital and they found that you’d lost your memory. I gave you the name Nana Lee. I honestly don’t know who you really are or what your real name is.” Donghae gulped. “But I might know someone who does.”

Ryeowook sat across from Jessica in Banana Tree Cafe. Jessica had called Ryeowook out. She wanted to know how the interviewing had gone.

“So did you find out anything about the Yoona-look-alike?” Jessica asked Ryeowook as she sipped her cup of coffee.

“I don’t know if she’s Yoona. She seems like a different person. Well, I didn’t really meet with her for long. She seemed offended when I asked about her past.” Ryeowook stirred his coffee. He was messing up the heart that had been drawn into the coffee. What did love even mean? He had been holding onto this memory for such a long time and suddenly met someone who he thought was Yoona. But it seemed like she wasn’t really.

Jessica nodded. “You shouldn’t give up!” She put her hand on top of his. “I want you to be happy.”

Ryeowook gazed at the woman sitting across from him. What did he do to deserve a good friend like her? “Thank you.”

Donghae entered Banana Tree Cafe. He saw Ryeowook sitting at a table with someone. He walked to the register and order a drink before walking over to Ryeowook. “Mind if I join you?” He noticed that the lady Ryeowook was sitting with was the model he’d seen earlier.

“Sure.” Ryeowook patted the seat next to him.

Jessica glanced at Donghae. Rude much? But it was okay because he’d saved her earlier. And Jessica had to admit, he was pretty good looking. She smiled at Donghae.

Donghae looked at Jessica sitting across from them. Why was Ryeowook meeting up with this lady? Wasn’t she the model from earlier?

“So what’s up?” Ryeowook asked Donghae.

“I actually…” Donghae didn’t want to be rude. He looked at Jessica. But he wanted to talk to Ryeowook privately.

Jessica  seemed to get the message so she stood up. “I think I’m going to get myself another coffee.” As soon as Jessica was out of sight, Donghae turned to face Ryeowook. “I need you to meet someone.” He was going to give up his own happiness. Nana deserved to know about her past and for some reason Donghae felt that Ryeowook knew about it.

Ryeowook nodded, “Who?”

Donghae ignored his question for the meantime, “I want you to tell them the story you told us when we went to kbbq. The story about your love.”

Ryeowook thought for a moment. It sounded like Donghae wanted him to spread the gospel or something. “Okay…”

Donghae put his hands on top of Ryeowook’s, “You should go right now. They’re waiting for you at Seoul Style right now.”