inkling

My Way To You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Why do you think the president only invited us?” Jin asked. They are on their way to the student council office after having lunch with the university president and his secretary. “Is it because we hold the two highest positions?”

“I doubt that's the reason. If you think about it, yes we do hold the two highest positions but only in our faculty." Taeyeon, who is walking beside Jin, answered. "If that's the case, then the other presidents and vps from the other faculties should've been there too."

"You're right." He agreed.

"Lunch was just one of those formalities. Aside from congratulating us and giving words about student government, the point of lunch was him sending his regards to your dad and mine.” She explains. “Like I said, nobody knew that your dad is our special guest speaker other than me and the dean. But word travels fast. So by lunch he’d known that your dad was at the campus. It's not everyday that the COO of a big company visits the campus. But since uncle is busy and had to leave after the program, he invited you and me instead.”

“I see.” Jin said. “It’s business.”

"Exactly. Dad, uncle and him are alumnis here." She replied. “His older brother is a judge at Seoul Central District Court, and if I remember correctly, his only son is attending Stanford law school.” 

Connections are important. Jin's father used to tell him in that stern voice of him. Only associate yourself with those who are worthy. 

 

She looks at Jin, who seems to be lost in his own thoughts. He always sees the good in everyone. Back then he would just be grateful whenever someone does something nice for him or goes out of their way to accommodate him. But that's not how it works in their world. He still sees the good in people, but this time, it seems that he has learned. He is starting to wonder, and now, he is asking the right questions. 

 

He meets her eyes and she just smiles. “By the way, I noticed the letters on your cuff." She said. "All of your dress shirts don’t have one, and if it did, I’m sure you’re SJ, not JK.” She is talking about the two letters embroidered on the cuff of the dress shirt he is wearing. ‘J.K.’ She noticed it earlier when they were eating lunch as they sat next to each other. Like they always do.

“Oh this.” Jin raised his cuff. “Earlier someone spilled coffee on me and stained my shirt. Jungkook volunteered to switch with me and I accepted since it was too late for me to change back in the dorms and I can’t go to lunch with that dirty shirt.”

“Oh, I see.” She expressed, eyebrow raised.

“What?” Jin asked innocently.

“Nothing.” She replied smiling.

“I intend on giving this back.” Jin explained.

“I didn’t say you won’t.” She is giggling by now.

“Don’t even think about it.” 

“I’m not thinking about anything!”

“Be honest, what did you think earlier when you saw it?”

“Do you want me to be honest?” She teased.

He nods.

“Well, Jungkook has always been fond of you.” She started answering him seriously. “It’s no surprise that he would offer you his shirt.”

"That sounds... " He tries to find the right words but fails. "Let's refer to it as him helping me."

"Okay, he helped you. Better?"

Jin nods.

“But it also won’t surprise me if he starts following you around too just like back in the days.”

“That was a long time ago.” He insisted. “He’s grown up now.”

She just smirked and walked faster, leaving him behind.

“Wait.” He calls as he tries to catch up to her. “Did he say anything when you were in Austria?” 

She didn’t answer and just continued walking, suppressing a giggle as she entered the student council office.

“Taetae, what did you two talked about?" He continued to walk after her. "Taetae~”

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

 

“Have you guys decided?” Hoseok asked. “We have to choose before the first exams.”

 

The economics freshmen have to decide what their major would be from the two options, which is economic analysis and international economics. Majority of their seniors chose the former, while only ten percent of the entire economics student population chose the latter, including their president, Seohyun.

 

“Economic analysis for me.” Hayeon decided.

“Me too.” Lana said. “International economics is hard and you’re required to know basic English to take that major.”

“I’d rather be good at something I know I have a chance at than dream big and fail.” Hayeon states her reason. “I mean it was hard enough to get accepted here, how much more to maintain grades and actually graduate.”

“Exactly!” Lana agreed.

“Be positive you guys.” Hoseok encouraged. “We just have to study hard. Hard work won’t betray you.”

 

Taehyung thought about it for a while. Staring at the form in front of him. He weighs in on the pros and cons.

 

Lana is busy re-applying her make-up while Hayeon kept flipping pages on her notebook looking for something. Then she ended up sighing and pouting.

“Is there something wrong Hayeon?” Hoseok asked.

“Nothing. I just realized I didn’t get to take notes earlier.” She answered.

Taehyung, who has been observing the whole time, puts the form down on the side and opens his bag. He takes out his notebook then hands it to Hayeon. “Here, you can borrow mine.”

The pout on the tiny first year's face disappeared. “Thank you Taehyung!” Now delighted to have Taehyung’s notes she can copy from.

Out of the four of them, Hoseok is the oldest, followed by Lana and Taehyung who are only one month apart, with Hayeon as the youngest. The three older ones dote and look after her a lot. And her cute height makes her seem more adorable to them. 

 

“Once you guys have finalized your decisions, just fill out the forms and give them to me.” Hoseok instructed. “But if you need more time, then you can personally submit it to professor Han.”

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

“Good afternoon sir.” Taehyung greets.

Professor Han, the department head of economics, gestures for him to sit. They are in the social science faculty office. Taehyung came to submit his form.

“So, Kim Taehyung.” The professor starts as he scans the information that Taehyung filled on his form. “You want to take international economics?”

“Yes sir.” Taehyung replied. “What do I need to do sir?”

“You won’t have any changes in your classes until you reach your second year. For now as a freshman you only have to learn the basics just like everyone else.” The professor explains. “However you have to take the additional English exam.”

“That is all sir?” Taehyung asked.

“If you pass it, you’ll be qualified to take international economics. If you don’t, then you’ll have to take English class for a year in addition to the ones you already have. Take the English exam again and pass it before your second year.”

Taehyung thinks seriously about it. He barely knew English. The high school back in his hometown in the province is quite small and didn’t really have special English lessons, nor were there any after school academies in town center. He was able to get admitted here because of self-study. But his level is probably comparable to that of a grade schooler in the city. Come to think of it, the grade schoolers in private schools are probably better than him. 

Seeing the first year having a hard time whether to officially submit his form or not, professor Han suggests. “Don’t worry you won’t have to take the English exam right away. However it’s usually scheduled before the general exams.” The professor checks his desk calendar. “So... you have about four weeks. That might not be a lot of time but it will be enough to at least study, at least the basics or else you have to take additional class."

Taehyung takes it all in.

"Anyways, the exam is just to test whether a student needs the additional classe. The one you take at the end of the year is the one that will determine if you will be eligible to take the major next year, assuming you pass the rest of your classes.”

“I understand sir.” Taehyung nods.

“The students who had taken the exam and passed, usually had the help of private tutors during the four weeks beforehand. If you have anyone you know who is good at English then have them teach you.” The professor suggested.

It's quite simple. There's two English exams to those who want to take international economics. The first one is in four weeks, and the second one is at the end of the year. The first exam is to evaluate a student's English skills. If the student passes, there's no need to take the additional English class, one can just self study until the second exam. But if the student fails, the additional class would be compulsory in preparation for the second exam. The second exam at the end of the year is the real deciding factor if a student is eligible to take the major or not.

Taehyung wants to pass both so he won't need to take the English class, because that would just add to his already full first year load. Now he just needs a tutor. The problem is he doesn’t know anyone here in the city aside from his classmates, who are mostly taking the economic analysis major. 

“Do you have a direct senior who is also majoring in international economics?” Professor Han asked. “Who you choose to be your tutor is up to you but if you know someone from campus then that's better because we prefer them. Some seniors would volunteer to do it because when the junior they are tutoring passes the exam, they have the option to ask either a leadership excellence or communication skills certificate from the faculty. It’s extra credit for them.”

Taehyung's face brightens at professor Han’s suggestion.

“You have to let me know once you find a senior to teach you so that we can verify from their English professor if that student is qualified to teach you.”

“Yes sir.” Taehyung replied. “Thank you!”

 

Taehyung left the faculty office with hopes that he can find someone to tutor him.

It can’t be that hard, right?

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

 

Sitting on his study table and looking through all his books, Taehyung is trying to find the ones he used to study to take the entrance exam here in the university. He remembered having an English section there. It won’t be sufficient for the English specific exam he will take in a month but it’s a start. It will do for now while he is still trying to find a tutor.

Where did I put those? This time he peeks through the boxes he had stored under the desk. Or did I leave them at home? He couldn’t remember.

It would make sense for him to not bring those books here as he’s done studying them. It would just be additional baggage. He probably only brought the ones he will need and use for the school year.

 

He picked up his phone and was about to call his grandmother but then stopped halfway.

He was planning to ask his grandma if those specific books are there at home, but then he realized it would probably take his grandma a whole day or more to look for those books because his room back home isn’t exactly the most well-kept. He would just be adding work to the already chores filled day of his grandmother. Not to mention the twenty minute bus ride to town center if he wanted those books sent to him.

Ugh. Taehyung sighs.

 

Right then his phone rings.

It’s Hoseok.

“Hello~” He answered.

“Have you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter