spring

My Way To You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Jin was planning a quiet and relaxing night reading his books. He wanted to forget about the pressure of the election for a while. But his nosy roommate just won’t let him. He’d always known he was lucky to have Yoongi for three years, but this situation just made him appreciate that fact even more. The elevator opens to the ground floor and Jin walks out aimlessly without a destination. He just stormed out of his room and didn’t even bring his bag or anything. He seems to be doing that often these days to avoid his new freshman roommate.

 

Then he suddenly remembered something.

He dashes back to the elevator and tries to board it again.

 

 

Jin opens the door to the rooftop expecting to see Yoongi, who he’d rather be with at the moment than the person back in his room. But the place was empty. No sign of Yoongi or anyone for that matter. 

He walks out of the dorm disappointed he didn’t find Yoongi on the rooftop. That’s the only place he knows Yoongi will be in the campus aside from their old room. He searched his pocket for something then he realized, he didn’t even have his phone. He left it back on his desk. He sighs.

Walking halfway on the bridge that separates the dorms from the campus buildings, a place comes to his mind that Yoongi might be at. It’s a new place but it’s worth a try.

 

 

 

 

 

Jin arrives at the student council office. It’s already closed.

Seohyun had probably gone early today.

He looks up at the rooftop. There’s another way up through the fire exit ladders at the back. It’s a long climb up, at least for a non-athletic person like Jin, but he doesn’t really have anything to do right now. If Yoongi is up there, then good, if not, then might as well enjoy the starlight.

Panting as he finally got up to the top, through the back fire exit ladder, he turned to catch Yoongi standing by the railing looking at the university’s night view.

Hearing the footsteps of someone, Yoongi turns around. He hurriedly wipes his tears as soon as he noticed it was Jin even though he had a hunch that Jin had probably already seen him crying.

 

“I won’t ask.” Jin walks slowly towards the rail beside Yoongi, who he’d never seen cry before. “So you don’t have to think of what to say.” He said knowing he might’ve seen Yoongi in his vulnerable state.

 

For the first few months after being each other’s roommate during their first year, they have never talked about anything personal. They were busy with academics as first years. Then as both are introverts, they like to keep to themselves, and they’ve gotten along well just minding their own business and being civil anytime they have to be in their room at the same time and interact with each other. It wasn’t until when the first year was almost over that they started to actually spend more time in their room that they also have gotten to know each other.

 

Despite being roommates for the past three years, Jin and Yoongi respected each other’s privacy. They never asked anything from each other or what was going on with their lives unless the other offered to talk first, help the other first or share stories first. They never pry or force the other to do things they don’t want or uncomfortable with. That’s the reason why they get along so well. Even to the point Jin's friends declared Yoongi as the 'perfect roommate' for him. 

Come to think of it, Yoongi never asked why Jin lived in the dorms despite knowing he is from a well to do family until the day he himself decided to share the reason to him during their second year. And he also never asked Yoongi on why he didn’t go to med school when he had mentioned before that his parents are both doctors. He waited for Yoongi to tell him about that first.

That’s kind of like the unwritten rule between them. They weren't the type of roommates to have movie nights, heart to heart talks or hangout together off campus. They prefer to have intelligent conversations about politics and current events on the nights they aren't busy with their academics. Most of the time they're on the same boat, but on the rare occasions that their opinions differ, they are both mature enough to agree to disagree. They don't force opinions on each other. Though anything outside of that, when it comes to family, relationships or personal matters, they always wait for the other to open up first.

They never told each other their worries and problems because they’re the same. They didn’t want to burden each other with their respective issues.

Of course living with and seeing each other everyday for three years, they’ve become close even without much talking. Yoongi was independent while Jin was the dependent one but willing to adjust and learn. Everyday they maintain their areas clean and organized. In the mornings Yoongi would cook breakfast for two while Jin used the bathroom, they would eat together, then Jin would clean the dishes as it was Yoongi’s turn in the bathroom. They’d go to their classes separately, and won’t meet until the end of the day at their room. They maximize their studying time by not preparing dinner from scratch but only eating take outs. Then they spend the rest of the night quietly studying on their own desks until it was time to head to bed. On the weekends, dorm staff do Jin’s laundry for him, while Yoongi does his own. Yoongi does it on Saturdays so during that time, Jin can have the room all to himself. While on Sundays Jin spends the afternoon at the student council with the rest of the officers preparing for anything in the upcoming week or with Taeyeon outside the campus, and that is Yoongi’s alone time in their room.

As long as they see the other is fine, they go on with their days, those days turn to months and months into years. They were convenient to each other, they’re used to living with each other that Jin didn’t realize just how Yoongi was vital to his university life until the time when he realized they’re no longer roommates.

 

“Actually yesterday, my parents’ divorced was finalized.” Yoongi suddenly blurts out, breaking the silence between them. He sighs, not moving an inch from his position, his elbows resting on the railing, still looking afar.

“Oh s h * t!” Jin couldn’t help himself, the profanity came out of his mouth without his brain’s consideration.

Yoongi smiles. “I’ve never heard you c u s s before.” He said. “But yeah, it does feel like s h * t.”

Jin looks at Yoongi and he looks calm and fine. At least on the outside. It doesn't even look like the tears earlier even happened. There was barely any trace of it. Either he’s really good at hiding his emotions or it’s not really his type to let everything out. “How are you holding up?”

Yoongi shrugs. “They never looked like a couple in years. My mom was my mom and my dad was my dad. They were not each other’s partners anymore for a long time. Their careers were always their priority.” Yoongi paused. “They’re even competing for the director position.” He mocks a laugh. “So it was kinda expected but still, this finalization marks an official end of it.” He sighs. “Of the pretend. So I guess it’s good for them.”

Jin realized that was the longest talk Yoongi had about his parents. Before he would always just tell him they’re doctors, Mr. Min is the chief in the thoracic department while Mrs. Min is the chief of neurosurgery. Both very career oriented, that’s it. Jin is smart, but at the moment he couldn't find the right words to say. 

“You don’t need to say anything.” Yoongi said. “You being here is enough.”

Then Jin understood just what he meant when he picked up two drinks from a paper bag on the ground, just beside his foot. Jin didn’t even notice it was there. One was a beer in a can and banana milk in a plastic bottle.

Yoongi hands Jin the plastic bottle and then opens the can for himself. He knows Jin doesn’t do alcoholic drinks so he chose to get Jin's 'usual' instead.

“How’d you know I’d be here?” Jin asked as he took a sip of his drink.

“I didn’t.” Yoongi answered. “Well, I was hoping since she told me you’re the one that told her about me and rooftops.”

She? “Who? Taeyeon?” Jin asked.

“Yeah, she offered me unlimited access here with a duplicate key of the student council if I win. She even told me the ladder at the back in case I lose so I can still come here.” Yoongi explained further. “That wasn’t the only thing she offered me, and I think this is a good time to tell you since I don’t want to keep this a secret from you.”

Jin always had a feeling he wasn’t the one that convinced Yoongi to run for student government. “What is it?”

“Remember a few days ago when we helped you move in your room?”

Jin nods.

“I offered to walk her out the dorms since you had to continue arranging your things.” Yoongi starts. “Well, the elevator ride was rather awkward without you but she broke the silence by letting me know there’s only one candidate in my department running for student president. She talked about how the student council office is a nice place to hang out with a rooftop. At first I thought she was just sharing information just to have something to talk about, so I told her you already invited me to run and I said no. She didn’t give up though.”

Jin was eager to know what Taeyeon did for Yoongi to actually accept and run.

“By the time we arrived at the ground floor before exiting the door, she asked me if there’s anything I wanted, anything at all. And unlike her normal expression and smile, she was really serious that time. So I contemplated. I thought it’s worth the try.” Yoongi paused. “So I asked her if her grandfather’s company has an internship program.”

Something started to click in Jin’s mind.

“She’s smart though, she caught up real quick. She offered me internship recommendation if I run with you guys.”

Yoongi had always preferred not to get help from his parents. He remembered that time Yoongi told him that his parents initially wanted him to take medicine to be like them. He'd be a shoe in at the hospital they are both working at. But Yoongi declined and said he wanted to study something else and can figure things out on his own. He also does the things he physically can, like laundry, cooking, to name a few. He doesn't rely on his parents' money to pay dorm staff to make things easier for him. So it made sense to Jin why Yoongi asked for that.

“We shook hands over it.” Yoongi replied. “Though I did ask what happens if I lose, but she said the offer stands, win or lose.”

“She did?” Jin asked, surprised. As one of the heirs to her grandfather’s company, Jin doesn’t doubt Taeyeon’s influence, but he didn’t expect her to promise something like that.

“I was being greedy, so I thought she’d at least take time to think it over but she said yes on the spot.” Yoongi answered. “Since she went as far as that I’m taking this to the end too, win or lose.”

“Don’t worry, she gave you her word.” Jin assures Yoongi. He knew why she did it but still, he wanted to be sure. “Did she ever mention why she did that?”

“I did ask her.” Yoongi said. “She just smiled and told me the deadline of filing instead. But you and I both already know.”

Jin stayed quiet.

“I felt guilty about taking advantage of our friendship so…”

“You told me about it?” Jin smiles at him.

“Thank you.”

“I understand, don't worry.” He really does understand, and the way Yoongi told him about it was obvious that he too didn’t expect her to offer such a thing.

“Anyways, if the universe pulls a joke on me and I win, you’ll have to walk me through this whole student council thingy.”

Jin laughs. “I got you.”

 

Jin wanted to know more about Yoongi’s situation with his parents, that’s why he’s here with him but he’s never one who pries anything out of Yoongi until he’s ready to share it himself. Telling him about the divorce was probably already a big deal to him. So he kept his curiosity to himself. The reason he probably talked about his deal with Taeyeon was to divert the topic, and he respects that.

 

After a few seconds of silence just staring at the night sky, Yoongi raises his beer in the air. “To my friend, who respects my privacy~”

Jin smiles as he raises his banana milk as well and clinks their drinks together. “Cheers~”

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

 

It was late when both Jin and Yoongi came down from the rooftop. If it wasn’t for the rain they would’ve stayed up there longer. Jin had been up there during the day through the proper stairs inside the student council office, but only now did he realize how wonderful it was up there during the night. The university and city skyline from afar with the night stars

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter