variance

My Way To You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Taehyung and his classmates just finished their morning classes and are on their way to the student commons. Lana and Hayeon are walking in front, busy talking about something. While Taehyung and Hoseok follow right behind them.

 

A familiar black sedan stops right in front of the two freshmen.

They both halted walking.

The girls had already crossed to the other side of the road and had entered the building.

 

The driver comes out of the car and gestures for Taehyung to focus his attention on the back seat.

The window rolls down revealing Taeyeon inside.

They both greeted the senior.

“Taehyung-shi, can I invite you for lunch?” She said with a smile.

Taehyung turns to Hoseok beside him.

“It’s okay.” Hoseok replied. “Go on. Don’t worry about us.” Referring to him, Lana and Hayeon.

Taehyung nods then follows the driver to the other side to board the car.

 

“I’ll treat you next time Hoseok-shi.” She said.

“Ah it’s okay sunbae. Thank you.” Hoseok didn’t mind really. He was grateful enough that she actually knew his name as they don’t interact that much in the student council office.

 

 

 

“Huh?” Hayeon noticed when Hoseok caught up with her and Lana in the dining hall. “Where’s Taehyung?”

“Ah, he had some errands to do.” Hoseok replied. “Let’s go get lunch.”

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

 

Taeyung felt a little uncomfortable.

This invitation seems to be out of the blue. And since he is sitting beside Taeyeon in the back seat, then Jin most likely will not be around. He wonders if she knew about the little argument he and Jin had last night as they seem to be the type of bestfriends that talk about everything. He is worried and expecting to be scolded over lunch.

 

Taeyeon was looking out the window as the car drove out of the university.

After a while, instinctively she felt someone looking at her from the side. She turns and true enough, Taehyung is looking uncomfortable, sweating despite the cold ac in the car. She gave him a little smile, hoping that’ll make him less nervous, and then turned back around to the window.

 

The car arrived at the destination.

 

Taehyung was expecting for them to eat at a high end luxury restaurant with reservations only. But this place seems to be more humble than that. By humble, he meant that in the Kims standards, it was still fancy.

She entered first and he followed after her.

A waiter directs them to a vacant table at the corner and they settle in.

Taehyung looks around as if looking for someone.

She noticed despite having the menu in front of her. “He won’t be joining us.” She said.

Taehyung had guessed that Jin, their common denominator, won’t be joining them for lunch because if he was, he would’ve rode in the car with them. He was actually curious about the driver, though he isn’t quite sure if that person should be called her driver or her bodyguard since he seems to be in both roles. But then again her answer applies for either Jin or her buddy. He'll refer to him as that since that was what she called him before.

“I hope you like eating healthy.” She said to him as she puts down the menu and calls the waiter. “I’ll have baked chicken with mashed potatoes and garlic sautéed beans and carrots.” The waiter takes down her order. She then turns to him. “What about you?”

Taehyung was busy with his thoughts earlier that he didn’t have time to scan the menu placed in front of him. “Uhm… I’ll have the same.”

The waiter left after telling them it will take a few minutes.

She left their table as well and went to the wine corner where there’s display of different bottles of wine.

 

After scanning the menu, he now understood what she meant earlier by I hope you like eating healthy. This restaurant specializes in healthy menu options. It’s mostly poultry and lean meat that are baked, broiled or grilled, nothing fried. Lots of salad combinations and options of fresh fruit smoothies for drinks. There were no coffee, tea or any alcoholic beverages. This is a first for him as he had never eaten in a restaurant where soju or beer wasn’t on the menu. Though looking at where she is again, the wine corner does seem out of place in this place.

 

She walks back to their table after a few minutes. “I ordered my drink. Have you chosen one already?”

Taehyung quickly goes back to the menu. “I’ll have… the mango smoothie.”

 

The waiter arrives with their food.

 

Taehyung looks excited. He thought the serving of chicken would be small and that the mashed potatoes might not make him full because he’s used to rice. But the food actually looks delicious and in a good serving quantity.

“So, what do you think?” She asked. “Is it to your liking?” Referring to the food’s taste.

He nods. “It’s delicious. I didn’t expect a bland meal to be this delicious.”

The displeasure in her expression is apparent. But this is exactly the purpose of this lunch. She had a hunch before coming but still, she was hoping he’d be different.

“Oh, sunbae I…” Taehyung scrambles to find words for damage control as to what he already said. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it that way. I’m very much grateful for the meal.”

The smile is now back on her face. “It’s okay, we all have preferences. Does it mean you usually enjoy food with a lot of strong flavors?”

As expected, the junior is now more at ease after she had her smile back on. “Yes. My grandpa likes spicy food so my grandma would cook those food for him. I grew up eating those, maybe that's why I have quite the tolerance for it.”

She appreciates his honesty, but still it’s a dilemma. “How about drinks?” She asked. She noticed she ordered a smoothie so she hopes he likes fruit juices and natural drinks.

“My grandpa likes to drink after working on the farm, so my grandma would often buy his favorite makgeolli for him.” He answered. “I don’t like it though. I prefer sodas. I often get them whenever we go to town back home.”

Carbonated drinks are not good. She thought. “How about the many options here in Seoul, do you still prefer sodas?”

“Buying any drinks everyday would be expensive so I usually stick with plain water.” He answered. “It’s better anyways.”

She nods.

He noticed it. As if taking everything in her head and processing it. He’d been wondering why she only invited him when Hoseok was also there earlier and he was also part of the student council. This casual lunch somehow feels like an interview as well. Though he doesn’t know what to make of it.

 

The waiter arrives with their drinks. He placed the mango smoothie on Taehyung’s side and the wine glass on her side as he poured the content of the bottle into it.

She picks up the glass and takes the aroma of the wine before taking a sip.

He also took a sip of his drink. Compared to the smoothies he had tasted before, this one’s less sweet. But he doesn’t mind because there’s actually more fruit in it that he can taste it. Then his attention is back on the wine Taeyeon is drinking. He wonders if rich people often drink wine, even without occasion and during lunch time at that.

“It’s chardonnay.” She said, after noticing him staring at the wine glass.

“Huh?”

“You’ve tasted this before. It’s the same wine we had during that dinner.” She continued.

He made an ‘oh’ face. He doesn’t know how to describe its flavor, after all that dinner was the first time he tasted such wine, but he remembered a sweet fruitiness like that of tropical fruits, at the same time buttery and rich.

“Everything on the menu is affordable for a student, though this brand of wine is a bit pricier compared to other drinks. It’s because it’s non-alcoholic, so it’s a good option.”

“Non-alcoholic?” He asked. So the wine does fit in the restaurant’s healthy menu after all. He didn’t know such wine exists as he thought all wines are alcoholic for celebration purposes.

She nods. “Zero percent.”

“Do sunbae only drink non-alcoholic wine?” He couldn’t help but asked what he was thinking out loud. Then realized what he just said and slightly panics. He hopes he didn’t sound too casual or too personal.

But Taeyeon didn’t mind as a fond memory seemed to bubble up in her head, smiling. “No. But I do often because someone dear to me does.”

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

After lunch, they walk out of the restaurant.

 

Taehyung thought they were going straight to the car, but she her right and started walking. He didn’t know what to do but to follow her. No matter how friendly she is as a sunbae, he didn’t dare walk beside her, he just closely followed from behind. He noticed the car too is moving, slowly following them on the side of the road.

After scanning the store fronts of the shops aligned on the side of the street, she stops in front of one at the end of the road. “This one looks cute.” Then proceeds to enter the small shop.

He enters as well. It was a quaint café. He saw her by the counter, scanning through the glass display which was mostly cake slices and other sweets.

Taehyung wonders if she is thinking about desserts. He remembered they had chocolate cake when he was treated to dinner before. But wouldn’t it be too much if she pays for it again just like their lunch?

“One banana milk to-go please.” She ordered, and then took out her black card to pay. When the cashier politely informs them that they only take cash, she suddenly realizes that it was a small shop and probably doesn’t accept cards. She was about to put the black card back and take out her other wallet when Taehyung handed the cashier some cash.

“Let me have this one sunbae.” He said. “You already paid for lunch and it’s not much, really.”

“Thank you.”

 

 

 

They walk out of the shop with Taeyeon carrying the banana milk take out.

“Too bad they only had cakes and sweets available. Chocolates and sweets are okay once in a while but too much cocoa, caffeine and sugar is not good.” She said. “And it would’ve been nice if they had at least sandwiches. It’s good that they have banana milk though because citrus fruits tend to be acidic. Bananas are good, it has no negatives.”

Taehyung listened intently. If earlier it seemed like she was interviewing him, this time it seemed like she was educating him on healthy options. “Apples are good too.” He blurted suddenly. Since she was talking about fruits, he kind of just naturally shared a fruit that he knows how to grow. Noticing her surprised expression, that she probably didn’t expect for him to say that, or anything at all in reply to her statement. He added. “Ah, we have lots of apples back home sunbae.”

“Good!” Her eyes crinkled. “Yes apples are good.”

Taehyung is proud of himself. Somehow it feels good to get along with his roommate’s bestfriend. He didn’t know he wanted to be seen positively by the people around Jin until now. 

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

The car stopped right outside the student commons where Taehyung was picked up earlier.

“Thank you for the lunch sunbae.” He said before turning around to get out of the car.

“Here~” She hands him the banana milk take-out that she’d been holding the entire ride back to the campus.

He is confused. Why is she giving him the banana milk? Is it because he paid for it so she didn’t want to drink it anymore?

“It’s actually not for me.” She said. “It’s for Jin. Aren’t you meeting him after lunch?”

That’s right. He’s supposed to have tutorial lessons after lunch. Of course she would know about it, she’s Jin’s bestfriend after all. So the take out is for Jin. She didn’t forget about him. He takes the drink and steps out of the car. But before closing the car door, he paused. “Since this is meant for Seokjin sunbae, I’ll treat you next time then Taeyeon sunbae.”

She replies with a nod and smile.

He closed the door and the car was off.

 

 

 

Taehyung takes a deep breath.

Jin didn’t show up to their scheduled tutorial lesson yesterday.

He wonders if the senior will be there today.

He raised his right hand that was carrying the banana milk and stared curiously at it.

Since Taeyeon is Jin’s bestfriend, then Jin must really like this drink.

He smiles and heads to the back of the student commons.

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

 

Jin was already sitting there waiting by the time Taehyung arrived.

The freshman sprints as soon as he sees the senior sitting alone. “I’m sorry I’m late sunbae.” Then settles opposite Jin. He's not late really, Jin was just early. “Oh, here.” He placed the banana milk on the table.

 

Jin is pleasantly surprised by the drink coming from his roommate. He hasn’t told him he likes banana milk so after being surprised, his brows met in confusion as he looked at the freshman.

 

Taehyung noticed. “Taeyeon sunbae asked me to give this to you.”

 

Taetae? Jin wondered. “You two met?”

 

Taehyung just nodded. His roommate might not take the drink if he elaborated further that it was actually him who paid for it. And it’s not like he lied, she indeed chose the drink and asked him to give it to him.

 

Jin didn’t ask further either and was content with the nod. He takes a book out of his bag and seems eager to either start the lesson or finish it.

 

Taehyung wasn’t sure.

 

“I put this together specifically to help you with topics you struggle with based on the mock test I gave you last time. The example sentences are separated by situation. You don’t need to think too much, you just have to memorize it all.”

 

Upon closer look, Taehyung noticed it wasn’t a book. It was a binder, a compilation of handwritten words, sentences and phrases with accompanying examples and photos for easy and better understanding. It was a material well put together.

 

“Also, I wasn’t able to show up yesterday because I had some errands I had to attend to.”

 

“It’s no problem sunbae. I’m already very grateful for your help.” Taehyung replied. “And…” He paused for a bit, before continuing. “I’m sorry about last night.” Recalling what happened last night, he was indeed sorry. He knew Jin just got better after being sick and that he is the kind or person that values personal space. He should’ve known better. “I stepped out of line and spoke too much.”

 

Jin wasn’t expecting an apology to be honest. He thought youngsters like his roommate considered it trivial matter and would just easily forget about such things without resolution. But the apology is welcome. At least the freshman knows he was wrong. Jin just nods. Not wanting to talk more about it any further and make things awkward between them, after all, the fact still remains that they are roommates and they go back to the same room at the end of the day.

 

“How can I memorize all of this without thinking?” Taehyung asked as he scans the neatly written compilation in front of him. “Will I be able to memorize all of this?”

 

“I thought you might say that.” Jin expected the freshman's reaction. “Did you bring a notebook with you?”

 

Taehyung takes out an empty notebook. He specifically set aside one for this tutorial lesson. He was prepared from the beginning, but he wasn’t able to use it yet because Jin had always provided the material like reference books and paper sheets himself.

 

Jin reaches out to the binder in front of the freshman and turns it back to the very first page. “Starting now, rewrite all those sentences twenty times on the page. Then say them out loud when you write them.”

 

Taehyung did as he was told immediately without hesitation or questions.

 

Jin thinks Taehyung is surprisingly obedient this time compared to his stubbornness from their previous lessons. That’s good for him though. He’ll just quietly supervise while drinking his banana milk.

 

 

“I think we are compatible.” Taehyung said after a while of copying.

 

Jin, who is almost done with his banana milk while browsing on his phone, looks up to the younger with a judgemental expression.

 

“As roommates, I mean.” The freshman added.

 

Jin’s eyebrows furrowed as he continued to stare at Taehyung. This freshman just apologized minutes ago and here he is blurting out nonsense again.

 

Taehyung stopped copying and extended both his hands on the table to Jin, palms open. “We’re going to be each other’s roommate for the entire year. You can trust me.”

 

By now Jin is confused because who knows what is going on inside Taehyung’s head and where this conversation is going. He is judging his roommate at maximum level right now.

 

But Taehyung seems to be used to it already. “You said you don’t trust people easily.” He continued. “Come on, give me your hands. I’m right here. You can trust me.”

 

Jin’s eyebrows return to their normal state, relaxing and his previous judging look is now replaced with genuine curiosity at what the hell is going on. He is now concerned for his roommate’s wellbeing. Did all the English he just read and studied broke his brain?

 

Even though Jin is saying nothing, Taehyung smiles. He thinks the senior is slowly warming up to the idea.

 

Jin switches his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter