elated

My Way To You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Taehyung arrives at the student council office.

 

This morning when he woke up he expected to see Jin in the opposite bed.

But the bed was empty. He wasn’t there.

He sighs.

He didn’t know why he felt that way. A certain way. It’s not like it’s his business where his roommate spends the night. It’s college, they’re all adults here.

He shakes his head and continues on inside.

 

Taehyung is here to meet with Seohyun, his department senior.

Seongwu immediately recognized him when he entered the room. “Oh! Jin’s roommate.” While Minho just continued on with what he was working on the computer.

“Good morning sunbae, I’m looking for economics president Seohyun.” Taehyung said.

“Seohyun isn’t here.” Seongwu replied. “And she's busy for the rest of the week.”

“Oh…” Taehyung replied, immensely regretting why he forgot to come yesterday.

“But she left something for you to Jin.” Seongwu continued. “Wait, you’re roommates but you didn’t see each other?”

Taehyung is surprised by what the other had said. He was with Jin and Taeyeon for dinner last night but his roommate never mentioned anything. “Ah, thank you sunbae. I will just go and ask him.” Maybe Jin had just forgotten about it. “Do you happen to know where he is right now?”

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

 

Jin surveys an isolated aisle in the third floor of the campus’ main library.

This library is much bigger than the one in their department. He doesn’t actually come here often in his almost four years of college. He prefers the old library in their department. That’s where he studies most of the time. The old charm of the place is where he feels comfortable compared to this modern industrial main library building. But he is looking for something that isn’t specifically related to social science so the place to look for it is in the main library.

He already has two books on his arm hugged to his chest, but he is still looking for the last one. He couldn’t find it on the same shelf so he moved to the next aisle and continued searching for it. When he looked up, he finally found the one he was looking for. He realized it was way above the top shelf. He looked around and found a stool on the end of the aisle, the ones specifically used to reach those books placed higher on the shelves. He took it and stepped to the top level. The book was located at the very top of a few books. So despite his height plus the stool, it looks like Jin would still need to tiptoe to be able to grab it.

Jin sighs, asking to himself why would someone put that book way up there. It’s like someone intentionally hid it from the others. He hugs the books that he already is carrying tighter on his chest with his left hand, and then tries using his right to reach for the book above, but it was still out of reach. Since giving up is not on his book, ironically, he attempts for it again. This time he decided to tiptoe so his probability of reaching it would be on higher percentage. But in the process he started to lose his balance and was about to fall. It happened so fast that it was too late for him to hold onto something so he was going to fall backwards. He closed his eyes bracing for the impact to the ground.

Suddenly he felt a warm pair of hands on his waist.

Relieved someone had caught him on time. “Thank you!”

He smiled relieved, then turned around to see who it was.

His smile quickly disappeared, to his surprise it turned out to be his roommate, of all people.

 

Jin twists a little, then stares down at Taehyung’s hands on his waist with his eyebrows furrowed. He was about to open his mouth to protest, but his roommate cuts him off.

“The book.” Taehyung said, gesturing his head above the shelf for Jin to get the book he was aiming for.

So Jin turns back to his business and tries to reach for the book again. This time he succeeds with the help of Taehyung’s steady hands supporting him as he tiptoes.

After doing so, he used that same book to immediately pry Taehyung’s hands away from his waist. He then looks around if anyone else was in the vicinity that might’ve seen them. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m looking for you.” The freshman answered. “Seongwu sunbae said you have something for me from Seohyun sunbae.”

Oh yeah the English book. “How’d you know I’m here?”

“Seongwu sunbae mentioned I might find you here.” Taehyung replied.

“You could’ve just waited in our room. Did you expect me to carry the book around?” Then Jin walks out from that aisle as fast as his feet could take him.

“But…“ Taehyung left mumbling to himself as he scratched his head. “…I didn’t know it was a book.”

 

 

Jin checks out the books on the counter. He fans himself as he suddenly feels hot. He didn’t just feel it, it showed too on his face. His cheeks were a few shades of red.

 

Taehyung who was waiting for him by the stairs saw his senior, and he smiled fondly.

 

It wasn’t just Jin’s face that was red, both his ears were too.

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

 

The soc-sci six officers are eating their lunch together, except for Seohyun who is busy talking to someone on her phone.

“She looks busy.” Seongwu commented.

“When was she ever not busy?” Minho adds.

“True.” Seongwu said.

“She still hasn’t found a tutor.” Taeyeon shared about the situation everyone seems to be curious about.

 

Both Jin and Yoongi are quietly listening as they finish their food.

 

“Why would she need one?” Seongwu asked. “She ranks number one in her department.

“It’s not for her. It’s for a direct junior she is helping.” Taeyeon answered. “The junior needs an English tutor as soon as possible.”

“Why not take English classes outside the campus? There’s a lot of private academies who offer them.” Minho suggested.

“I think it’s for a specific major so a senior in their own department would be an advantage to the junior.” Taeyeon continues. “But none of the seniors she’s talked with in the past days is willing to take the junior under their wing despite the credits that will be given to them by the faculty.”

 

Jin remembers the English book Seohyun asked for him to hand to his roommate and wonders if it’s the same person Taeyeon is talking about.

 

Seohyun comes back to their table and to her seat looking dejected.

“Still haven’t found one?” Taeyeon asked her.

Seohyun nods. “They’re all busy.”

 

 

 

After lunch, the group separates according to the direction of their class schedules. Taeyeon and Minho don't have a class till after thirty more minutes so they both decide to go to the student council. Seohyun has to go to the student affairs office.

Jin, Seongwu and Yoongi all have classes. But instead of walking back to their building, Jin told Seongwu and Yoongi to go ahead first.

 

He ran and caught up with Seohyun. “Hey Seo!”

Seohyun turned around and saw Jin. “Oh Jin, what is it?”

“I’m just gonna ask if the junior you’re trying to find a tutor for is Kim Taehyung?” He asked directly.

Seohyun nods in response. “Yes it’s him. You’re roommates with him right?”

“Yeah.” Jin answered.

“Why’d you ask?”

“I’m just wondering why he needs one urgently.”

“He plans on taking international economics. But that major requires basic English skills and he needs to pass the exam to qualify for it.”

“It’s the same major you’re taking am I right?”

“Yes, that’s right. There’s only few of us in that major, as about ninety percent of those taking economics are majoring in economics analysis so I’m always eager to help those ten percent that chose the same major.” Seohyun explains. “This year, there’s only two of them who submitted the form choosing international economics, the other one already knows English as she graduated from an international high school. Now, I just need to help out Kim Taehyung.”

“How long do you need to find him one?” Jin asked.

“I have until the end of the week. Because they need to start lessons next week if he wants to learn a lot by the time the exams come.”

“What if you don’t find one by then?”

“Well, he’d have no other choice but to check some private academies outside. But it’s probably going to be hard, not to mention expensive because what he needs is a crash course in a short period of time.”

Jin nods, trying to take it all in. He is wondering why he is so worked up with this. Maybe because he probably felt sorry for his roommate after what he shared to him a few nights ago. His roommate is a good kid, and he just wants to help.

“Why are you asking? Do you have anyone you know who can tutor him?” Seohyun asked.

“Huh?” Jin expressed. “Well, no, I was just wondering because I want to help too. As you know he’s my roommate. Maybe, help him start off while you’re still looking for one.”

“Really?! That’s great!” Seohyun exclaims. “You’re great at English, I mean international studies students are in general. And even though we’re not from the same department, we’re still in the same faculty. I’m sure he’d appreciate it.”

“Oh I can’t commit to being the full time tutor.” Jin immediately followed up. ”Just for the meantime while you’re still looking.”

“Okay.” Seohyun said. “That will give me more time to find one if I can’t persuade the other seniors in my department.”

Jin just nods and smiles.

“Thank you, I’ll be off first.” Seohyun waves and leaves.

“Bye.” Jin waves back. He didn’t know why he basically volunteered to do that when he knows he too will be busy this year.

But he can’t take that back now.

Not that he intends to, really.

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

 

When Taehyung got back to their dorm room, he went straight to his roommate’s desk. He remembered what Jin had said when they separated outside the main library.

The senior told him that he left the book on his desk and he is giving the freshman permission to just take it when he gets back to the dorm.

Jin was in a hurry when they got out of the main library so they didn’t get to have much of a conversation.

 

Taehyung grabbed the English book, but before walking away from his roommate’s desk, he noticed the rows of books in one of the shelves. They’re all written in English but they weren’t academic books, they look like novels. He thought his roommate must be very good at it if he reads books in English in his pastime.

 

Just then the door opens.

Taehyung quickly moved from his roommate’s desk to his.

Jin enters the room. He walked to his desk and neatly put his bag there.

Taehyung is still standing there not knowing what to do.

Jin noticed the freshman is already holding the book Seohyun gave him. He didn’t mind and just grab

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter