abstruse

My Way To You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“What?!” Jin and Yoongi exclaim simultaneously after hearing the new dorm rules.

“The management thinks the new rule will help the freshmen transition period.” The dorm manager explains regarding the dorm room setting.

Starting this year, seniors won’t have the privilege of choosing roommates anymore, instead they will be assigned a freshman in hopes of becoming a ‘sunbae’ figure to the new hoobae. Including helping them adjust in the new environment of living independently.

“That’s b u l l s h * t!” Yoongi said.

Jin turns to Yoongi with a disapproving look because of his choice of words in front of the dorm manager, but calling him out for it is not Jin’s priority right now. He very much agrees with him.

“That doesn’t make any sense.” Jin complains. “They’re not preschoolers going into grade school that need attending to. The first years are nineteen-twenty year olds already.”

“I understand, but just like what I told the others with the same complaint, I don’t make the rules, my office only implements them.”

Jin sighs. It’s futile to drag the issue any further unless they take it to the admin.

 

 

“What now?” Yoongi asked as they walked out of the student affairs building.

“I don’t know.” Jin replied. “You’ve been quiet this whole time after that ‘b u l l s h * t’ comment.”

“Because this new rule is too ridiculous it hurts my brain on so many levels.” Yoongi said.

Jin didn’t know whether to laugh or cry at their situation.

“The dorm manager offered you the option to move to the student apartment complex. I think you should take it this time.” Yoongi said.

“You know I can’t Yoong.” Jin sounded defeated.

“At least think about it?” Yoongi persuades. “Maybe your father will understand.”

Jin gets the point Yoongi is trying to cross, but he can’t make that decision easily. He can’t give Yoongi an answer right now, so he just gives him an assuring smile. That maybe he’ll think about it.

“Ugh, we’re basically babysitting the first years.” Yoongi made his own conclusion.

Jin sighs again for the nth time as they continue walking. “Why does it have to be during our senior year?”

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

Taeyeon looks on as the nurse finishes tending the wound on Jin’s left elbow while sitting on the bed of the clinic.

“Thank you.” Jin said before the nurse left.

She also thanks the nurse, and then she walks toward Jin. “You should’ve told me earlier instead of waiting for the day to be over like this.” She scolds him, as the last rays of the sun beams through the window of the faculty’s clinic before setting on the horizon. 

Jin started to feel the pain after him and Yoongi left the student affairs building. That and the weariness from the whole day. Yoongi had something he had to do outside the campus so he left first. Since she's number one on his speed dial, he called her on how to dress a wound. He was expecting her to teach him what to do over the phone. Instead she asked him where he was, she came not long after and brought him to the clinic.

“I thought it was just a little scratch. I wasn’t expecting it to be like this.” He reasons out but her expression didn’t change. “Okay, I’ll make sure to check next time. Besides, this pain will heal faster than the emotional pain Seyeon probably is in. Are we sure she’s okay?” He changes the subject, diverting the topic.

She knows what he’s trying to do but she goes along anyway. “That’s true. She was shaking a little earlier but her friends came and accompanied her when we left so she should be fine.” She continues. “Namjoon instructed the guards to check id’s before letting anyone in the left wing. I’ve also informed the security at the student apartment about the ex-boyfriend. For now that’s all we can do, let’s hope what happened earlier today won’t happen again.”

They do care about their fellow students. It comes with being part of the student council, they were voted into their positions because students believe they are responsible and can lead them well.

“So how did it go with the dorm manager?” She asked.

Jin told her everything, the reason why he asked to stay at her place this past weekend and regarding the new dorm rules.

“Well that’s…” Taeyeon almost couldn’t believe it. “So what’s your plan?”

“Stay in the dorms, what else.” He answered.

Taeyeon sits beside him on the bed. “Have you thought about moving to the apartment complex?”

“Yoongi suggested the same thing but you know I can’t do that.”

“You can, but you won’t.”

Jin didn’t answer. It’s an issue he still hasn’t settled with his father. They haven’t talked about it and he doesn’t think they ever will. Trying not to open old wounds.

“I know that you value your freedom right now but I think it’s reasonable for uncle to think that way.”

“Thank you.” Jin says as he holds her hand.

“I haven’t done anything.” She said.

“Yet. You haven’t done anything yet.” He smiles knowing her. “Don’t talk to the dorm manager first thing tomorrow or rent me a room for myself.”

They both laugh. He knows her too well. He knows she has the influence and power to do just that.

“I know you’re worried but I’ve been doing well so far for the past three years so I think I’ll be fine with just a year left.” He assures her. “Besides don’t you trust me? I’m a senior now.”

Right then Seongwu enters the clinic. “I heard what happened, are you okay?” He asked Jin.

“I’m fine, it’s just a scratch.” Jin answered.

“Well, that’s a long scratch.” Seongwu said jokingly as he eyes the big gauze covering the wound making Jin laugh.

Taeyeon takes out her phone from her pocket and prepares the camera feature. “Smile you two.”

They both turn to her, but while Seongwu immediately flashes a smile, Jin is a little confused. “What for?”

“Just do it.” Seongwu encourages while still holding that handsome smile. So they both did as she clicks on a few times.

 

If there’s something both of them should've known by now after being friends with her for long is that never question anything she does.

Do it for now, ask questions later.

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

Taehyung wakes up to see the first aid supplies he had bought from the night before still untouched on his roommates table.

 

He doesn’t know why he feels disappointed.

 

It’s not like his roommate expected it so he shouldn’t be feeling anything.

 

He takes back the supplies and hides them in one of the drawers under his bed.

 

He then proceeds to get ready for the day ahead.

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

 

“Are you sure you’re fine going back now?” Taeyeon asked as the three of them eat breakfast at her apartment’s café. Jin and Seongwu munch on their pancakes and fruit smoothie and toast and coffee respectively, while she opted for waffles and hot chocolate.

 

Yesterday they all decided to eat dinner together after leaving the clinic and eventually spent the night at her apartment. That way they were able to help Jin dress his wound and also catch up on what they did during the school break. Jin spent his time in Japan, studying Japanese and learning from the locals. Taeyeon was in Austria, doing archery training. While Seongwu went to New York and spent some time with his sister's family. It’s a good thing they both have clothes at her place, they each have a drawer on her dresser separate from her main closet. They’ve been friends since high school and when she got the penthouse apartment as a graduation gift from her father, the two boys have been occasionally visiting her and spending the night. Most of the time, they do movie nights or study sessions. It’s their common ground as all three live separately, Jin in the student dorm, Seongwu in the student apartment complex and her outside the campus. 

Jin also had the chance to tell Seongwu about the new dorm rules that will change his living conditions with Yoongi for the entire senior year. His reaction was in between the calm Taeyeon and the outraged Yoongi.

 

“Yeah, I have to be there because uncle Jo will be delivering the rest of my things today.” Jin answered.

“What about your wound?” Seongwu asked. “Who will tend to it?”

Jin glances at the neatly dressed wound on his left elbow courtesy of his friends. “I guess I’ll have to make a trip to the clinic everyday until it heals.”

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

During lunch Taehyung, Hoseok, Lana and Hayeon enter the commons building.

When Taehyung and Hoseok were about to turn heading to the dining hall, the girls continued walking towards the stairs.

“Where are you guys going?” Hoseok asked.

“Let’s go eat at the café today.” Lana invites them.

Taehyung and Hoseok mirrored confused looks.

“My treat, just for today.” Lana said excitedly.

“She wants to see what the café looks like.” Hayeon said. “Aren’t you guys curious too?”

“Okay, I guess.” Hoseok answered for both of them and they followed the girls to the second floor.

 

 

The difference between the dining hall and the café was apparent. It’s definitely less crowded here and the atmosphere and ambiance is good. It’s quiet and students can actually do both studying and eating in the place. There are few who have their laptops while they sip their iced coffee on the bar stools on the side.

Taehyung thinks the place looks fancy.

 

“There they are!” Lana points at the other economics freshmen who were already settled in one of the long green sofa and table areas. It seems like she invited a few close friends from their class.

Taehyung doesn’t mind though, he’s cool with them and everyone’s nice in their year.

They all gathered at a table that seats eight people. Everyone is checking out the café and the food available on the counter. The price is double than that in the dining hall so they all chose the least pricey ones in consideration of the one paying. Before eating, Hoseok thanks Lana for their lunch. “Thank you to Lana’s parents for sending her allowance early and treating us lunch today.” Everyone laughed and started digging in.

 

Not long after that, the seniors from social science faculty entered the place. Everyone from their table turns to look, so did the other lower year students while the other seniors seem to be used to the scene already and some are probably friends with them as they smiled and waved at them as they passed. They settled on the table in the middle of the café that seats six people. Taehyung can see Jin from his point of view.

He seems fine.

Taehyung wanted to check his left arm but he was wearing a dress shirt so it was covered. Jin and Taeyeon stood out from the other three in the same table as they were wearing what looks like a uniform of white top and dark bottoms.

“The political science and international studies students’ looks cool with their uniform.” Lana admires.

“They do.” Hayeon agrees. “And I thought college is better because we get to wear whatever we want according to our preferred style after graduating from high school uniforms but now that I see them, they do look prim, proper and smart.”

 

The political science and international studies male students’ wears elbow length white dress shirts and slim fit black pants. While the females wear elbow length white blouses and high waisted A-line knee length black pleated skirts.

 

Their university is a private research university in Seoul. It is one of the oldest universitie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter