purpose

My Way To You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Taeyeon stands outside the social science hall, beside the driveway, waiting for both Jin and the special guest of the induction program.

 

She checks her wrist watch again. It’s almost time.

 

A lot of students are already gathered inside the hall. Seohyun, Minho, Seongwu and Yoongi are also already inside along with the department heads of the social science faculty. Now they’re only waiting for the dean and the special guest. The moment they arrive, the program will start.

She takes her phone from her pocket and dials Jin.

 

“Yes Taetae.” Jin answered on the other end.

“Are you on your way?”

“I’m still waiting by the gate.”

“Leave now.” She instructed. “The special guest is already at the dean’s office and they will come down any minute. You need to be here now.”

Jin contemplated for a while, staring at the huge open gate leading outside the campus and back to the campus grounds itself.

“You’re the president.” Taeyeon’s voice resonated from the other end. “You can’t be late.”

He eventually decided. “I’m leaving now.”

 

She puts the phone down as soon as she confirms that Jin is on his way.

 

“Congratulations.”

 

She turns to where the voice is coming from.

It was Namjoon who appeared on her side.

“Thank you.” She replied, then her focus is back on the driveway.  

 

There are quite few students around, some are on their way inside the hall and the others are in and out of the faculty building, which is right next to the hall. She thought Namjoon would also be on his way to the hall to attend the induction of the newly elected officers, but he stands beside her and starts a conversation with her instead.

 

“I know you’d win. You have no competition after all.” He starts, placing both his hands in his pockets, looking formidable. “Also, congratulations on Jin’s win.”

“You can tell him that in person, he’s on his way.” She replied, her attention still on the driveway. “Besides you’re both in the same department.”

“Nah, I’m congratulating you instead.”

This time she turns to him.

“You did well.” He continued not meeting her gaze, but was now focused on the driveway as if he’s also waiting for someone. “That photo… that was a good tactic.”

 

She knew what photo Namjoon was talking about. The one she took of Jin and Seongwu in the clinic back then, which she later uploaded on the faculty website. She also knew Namjoon had an idea of what her purpose was of uploading it that time. But she didn’t make it obvious in front him. “It’s just a photo.” She said. “At the end of the day it’s the student’s decision.”

The photo showed Jin’s wound after helping out Seyeon, a female direct junior who had a conflict with her ex-boyfriend. Comments under the photo praised Jin as being a good senior in helping and protecting a junior. And of course the usual good looks comments from the other students to both Jin and Seongwu.

 

“You’re good at marketing. Is that the department you’re interested in joining at your father’s company after graduation?”

She chose not to answer that question because she knows exactly where this conversation is going.

“I should probably congratulate you on Min Yoongi’s win as well. That was unexpected.”

She was relieved that Namjoon didn’t push that previous route she thought he was heading. “Well then, thank you for your generosity.” Her attention is now back at the driveway, waiting for Jin, the dean and the special guest.

Namjoon was taken aback. He wasn’t expecting that response, but tried to not be obvious about it.

“You’re giving me too much credit.” She added.

“You…” He smirked. “You’re clever.”

“You just knew?” She said referring to her being clever. "I'm a little offended." It's not usual for her to joke with Namjoon since they're not really friends, more like schoolmates or acquaintances since they went to the same high school and attended the same university.

He chuckles this time. His dimple showing, a sight she hasn’t seen in a while.“I knew Jin would win.” He states. “I just wanted to give him competition. Make him a little nervous.”

 

She had no comment on that. Because Namjoon’s the type to do just that, doing or getting something just so the other person won’t be able to get it, while Jin on the other hand took the competition and the whole election seriously. Even though he started his student government career with his father’s approval in mind, he did take the responsibilities seriously and wholeheartedly started loving everything about it. Other than academics, he spends most of his time in student council. It’s been his life for the past six years, since high school.

 

“So he can appreciate the things he already has.” He continued.

She did not see that coming. Is Namjoon envious of Jin? She wonders as the two are very different personality wise. But they do have a lot in common, both are from affluent family backgrounds, intelligent and they happen to be only sons in their households. But Namjoon had always ranked first in all academic rankings since high school, so whether he meant that in a business way or a more personal one. Still she was calm when she replied. “If you know him, you’ll know he is a grateful person.”  

“Well, if you say so.” He said, turning to face her. “Then I believe it.”

She turns to him meeting his gaze, wondering what the point of this conversation was in the first place.

 

They’re gazing at each other.

Steadily.

Firmly.

 

Until they heard a voice.

 

“Taetae!” Jin calls from the opposite side of the street.

 

Namjoon and Taeyeon both turn to look at Jin.

 

Namjoon takes a step back, getting ready to leave but not before saying. “I won’t be sticking around for the program, but say ‘hi’ to uncle for me.” Then he proceeded on walking away. 

She knew he was referring to the special guest. How did he know?

 

 

“Was that Namjoon?” Jin asked when he finally reached her. “What was that about?”

 “Huh?... nothing.” She replied. “He just congratulated us.”

“Really? It didn’t seem like it though.” He said. “Is he not coming to the program?”

“You’re thinking too much.” She assured him. “And no, I don’t think so. You know him, he doesn’t like those things.”

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

Taehyung, Lana and Hayeon were part of the crowd in the audience clapping as the inducted officers headed by the department presidents’ bow in front of them on stage.

The short program went smoothly.

 

Onstage, after bowing, the dean and special guest went to congratulate the officers individually.

What stood out for Taehyung was the handshake between the special guest and his roommate. From the guest’s speech earlier, he mentioned he graduated from the same university, same faculty and same department as Jin’s and that he used to be the student council president as well in his senior year. So that’s probably why they seem familiar or at least friendly with each other even with the . 

 

Below the stage, the students’ attention was caught by something else.

Taehyung saw Lana and Hayeon beside him whispering. He looked around and the other students too, mostly girls, were staring at something. It didn’t take long when he eventually realized it was ‘someone’.

A male student enters  the hall.

He was late to the program but that fact didn’t seem to matter because the others' focus seemed to be on how good looking he was based on the whispers around. Taehyung thinks the student looked okay, but acknowledged he was indeed tall.

Taehyung wonders if the student is from another faculty and got lost here since he thinks the others looked like they haven’t seen him before. Though for him, it’s normal that he doesn’t know everyone as he isn’t acquainted to students from other departments that much.

 

Anyways, Taehyung’s eyes are now back on Jin’s, who is on his way down from the stage along with other officers. He wants to congratulate Jin so he walks toward the stairs to meet with him.

“Sunb–“  

“Hyung!”

He was about to call Jin when someone from behind him did it first, informally at that. He stops on his way and turns, to see the male student from earlier smiling as he makes his way towards Jin.

Jin on the other hand didn’t seem to recognize the male student. At least that’s what it looked like to Taehyung based on his roommate’s expression.

He was about to go on to Jin as well when suddenly Lana and Hayeon appeared in front of him. “Come on let’s go congratulate Hoseok!”

“Oh.” He couldn’t say no, after all Hoseok is his friend too. “Okay.” Then all three of them went to greet Hoseok.

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

“I see you two have met.” Professor Lee appears in between Jin and the new student.

“Good morning sir.” The new student greets. “Yes we have, but I don’t think hyung remembers me.”

Jin is quite confused. He thought he just misheard when the junior called him ‘hyung’ earlier but it turns out it was really intentional.

“Jin this is the new freshman I was talking to you about, Jungkook.” Professor Lee introduced. “Jungkook, this is Seokjin, the international studies and overall faculty student government president.”

Jungkook smiles at Jin.

“Jungkook?” Jin said the junior’s name, eventually recalling him. “Jeon Jungkook?”

“Finally hyung!” Jungkook beams after knowing Jin remembers him.

“Okay, I’ll leave him to you Seokjin.” Professor Lee pats Jin’s back before leaving.

Right then Taeyeon came to them.

“Noona!” Jungkook greets her as soon as he sees her.

“Jungkook!” She instantly recognized him.

Jungkook went

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter