impeccable

My Way To You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Taehyung is walking, as fast as his feet could take him without actually running.

 

He had finished taking a bath earlier after being hurt that his roommate didn’t chose him and instead chose his direct junior to accompany him to the hospital. But after washing himself with cold water, literally because somehow the hot water wasn’t working today, it cleared his head and he was able to think thoroughly reflecting on his actions. This isn’t about him. It was about his roommate who is currently physically hurt. Jin should be his priority.

He puts himself on Jin’s shoes, other than being senior and junior, he had known Jungkook longer than him. If he was the one hurt and there was Jin and Hoseok, maybe he would choose Hoseok too, to not burden the senior.

 

He stares at the huge building in front of him, the university hospital. It’ll be the first time he’d venture in this part of the campus. He just hopes that if Jin is admitted, then his room wouldn’t be located at the top floor. But even if it was, he wouldn’t mind climbing those flight of stairs.

He went straight to lobby information desk. “Good morning maam, I’m looking for my friend who was taken here an hour ago.”

The lady in a nurse’s uniform behind the counter walks close to talk to him. “Is it OPD or ER?”

“Uhm…” Taehyung wasn’t sure as he didn’t know.

“Out Patient Department is over there.” The nurse points at the left wing of the building. “And ER patients are usually admitted but I can’t give you any details unless you’re related to the patient or presents an identification.”

Taehyung didn’t know what to do. Actually he doesn’t need to see Jin if it’s not allowed, he just wanted to know that he is alright. “Can you just check if the patient is alright?” He pulls out his id and presents it on the counter. “Please?”

The nurse picks up his id and checks on it.

“I’m not related to him but I’m his roommate. He was taken here earlier because of chest and stomach pains.” Taehyung tries hard to convince the nurse. “If he is admitted, maybe he needs someone to help him while he waits for his family.”

The nurse eventually checks the computer monitor. “What’s the patient’s name?”

“Seokjin. Kim Seokjin.” Taehyung answered.

After a while, the nurse gives him an answer. “We have no record of any Kim Seokjin this morning.”

Taehyung’s browse furrowed. That’s impossible. “Are you sure?.” If not here, where could Jin be? “Are there any other hospital near here?”

“Other than the faculty clinics, this is the only hospital on campus.” The nurse replied.

Taehyung is confused. “Thank you.” He said to the nurse as he slowly walks back out of the building.

 

He stood for a few seconds outside, thinking of what to do next. He was also wondering where Jungkook was since he’s the one that accompanied Jin in the ambulance.

Out of nowhere he saw Seongwu walking with a doctor towards the entrance of the hospital. It looked like they were from the parking area. Right then, a familiar black sedan exits the parking area and heads out to the university gates. He was sure it was the same mercedes maybach as Taeyeon. He knew because he had been on it when he had dinner with Jin and Taeyeon not long ago. Besides, there’s not a lot of luxury car like that on campus. He looked back at where Seongwu was and he was shaking the doctor’s hand and bowed as the doctor left to enter the hospital. It looked like he just walked the doctor back. He gasped. Was Jin inside the car?

He waited for Seongwu and finally the senior noticed him, looking surprised. “Oh, Taehyung.”

“Hi sunbae.” He greets. “I’m looking for Seokjin, was he taken here?”

Seongwu looked like he didn’t want to answer. “He already left.”

Jin’s friend’s answer was short that it just fueled Taehyung’s suspicions. “I asked inside and they said Seokjin wasn’t here.”

Seongwu sighed and looked around before answering. “He was taken here but you won’t find any record of that.” He paused for a bit as a grey car stops by in front of them. “Don’t ask me why. Go talk to Jin himself. Also, don’t mention this incident to anyone.” And with that Seongwu got in the car and left.

 

What Seongwu said just confused him even more.

His phone started to ring.

It was from a number that isn’t on his contact list.

“Hello?” He answered. “Who is this?”

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

 

“It’s Taeyeon, Jin’s friend.” Said the person on the other line.

“Oh sunbae hi.” Taehyung replied.

“I have a favor to ask from you Taehyung.”

“What is it sunbae?”

“About what happened with Jin earlier this morning, kindly keep it to yourself. I would very much appreciate it.”

“Huh?” Taehyung thinks if Taeyeon already knew, then that black sedan from the parking lot must really be her car. “Um yes sure sunbae.”

“Just let me know when it’s time for me to return the favor. Thank you.”

“Wait sunbae I–“ Taehyung is confused, the call ended just abruptly as it started.

He stares at his phone thinking whether to call back or not.

He didn’t even get to ask on how Jin was doing.

 

 

 

Taeyeon puts down his phone.

She checks on the person next to him sleeping soundly as the car drives on.

“You don’t need to worry Jinjin.”

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

 

Taehyung wasn’t sure if he was in the right place despite the obvious red carpet.

 

 

He spent the whole day in his dorm room but he can’t stop thinking about Jin. He did talk to both Seongwu and Taeyeon but he got nothing out of it. He called back a few times on the number that Taeyeon used but it was unattended. Did they transfer Jin to another hospital? Is his condition that serious? It didn’t seem like that though based on Seongwu and Taeyeon’s calm demeanors. He went by the student council on his way back to the dorms hoping to see any of the soc sci six, but since it’s the weekend none of them was there, only lower level representatives. He really wanted to talk to Hoseok about it but then he remembered he gave his word to Taeyeon.

Then he recalled the charity event that was mentioned the past days. It’s happening this weekend. Jin is set to attend. Even if he can’t because of what happened earlier, then the others will be there and he might get information from them. So he took a chance and googled the event. He wasn’t expecting for much, but luck was on his side when a hotel popped up as the venue for the event. It was the only charity event happening this weekend in the city and he’s hoping for the best as he heads out of his room and leaves the dorm.

 

 

There was full security at the bottom of the stairs. The attendees were dressed to the nines as they got out of their chauffeured cars and up into the stairs.

 

Taehyung was standing behind one of the huge pillars, hoping he wouldn't get the attention of any of the guards. As long as he doesn’t go over the gold red carpet poles then he’s fine. He reminded himself.

 

Few luxury cars and limousines have already pulled over and gone, but he hasn’t seen any familiar face yet.

Just then Changmin and another man, which Taehyung assumes is his father, comes out of a silver bentley. Taehyung was about to step forward when he remembered that Changmin isn’t part of the soc sci six. He isn’t even Jin’s senior, it was Yunho. So he gets a hold of himself and goes back behind the pillar and is on the lookout again.

And just like an angel, Taeyeon wearing an elie saab beaded sheer evening dress appears behind a white rolls royce. She was with her father too. She held his arm as they were about to walk up the stairs. The railing on the stairs was glass and Taehyung sees this as an opportunity to get her attention by waving both hands in her direction. He even starts to jump. Anything just to make her notice him.

Like an instinct, Taeyeon turned to her left and saw Taehyung there.

He stopped what he was doing, smiled and bowed. He knows she is smart, she’d know he isn’t just there to watch people in their suits and luxury cars.

But instead of stopping, she continued walking by her father’s side. She did however point at something to him. Her finger pointed at the direction behind the stairs.

Taehyung is confused. He signaled to her through his hand that he’ll call her.

She shakes his head and points again behind the stairs. Then this time adds one and five on her fingers.

Taehyung is still confused.

But she was already halfway up the stairs and it’s too high past his eye level.

 

Taehyung sighs. He can’t just go back to the dorms like this. Or continue waiting maybe he’ll see Jin or the others. Though he doubted that as the number of cars arriving was slowing down.

He was curious as to what she was pointing at behind the grand staircase, so he went to check. It was a dimly lit hallway, there was nothing there. Still, he walked further and saw an exit sign. At the very end of the hallway was a door. He thinks it’s a fire escape, and maybe behind the door is a back staircase.

He runs to the door and tries to pull it open. But it was locked, meaning it can only be opened from the other inside. He sighed again. Then he remembered the one and five. What did it mean? He thought to himself. One. Five. One. Five. One… Fifteen! His face lights up. Did she mean fifteen? She would meet him at the exit door in fifteen minutes? He wasn’t sure, but he waited anyway.

 

 

 

 

 

Crouched down beside the exit door, Taehyung keeps checking his phone for the time. It’s been twenty-five minutes. He isn’t sure if he interpreted Taeyeon’s signals correctly or if he should just go back to the dorms and call it a day. Surely he’d hear news of Jin before Monday, or better yet, Jin himself would show up on Monday.

Just as he is standing up, the exit door is pushed open.

He got startled at first, but calms down after seeing who it was.

“I didn’t think you’d still be here.” Taeyeon said as she holds the door open and quickly scans the outside, then tells him to get in.

He did, and helped her with the heavy door. His hunch was right, it was indeed the fire exit stairs behind the door.

“What are you doing here?” She asked.

“Hello sunbae.” He greets. “I’m looking for Seokjin.”

“He’s not here.” She said. “And I don’t think he is coming.”

“How is he?” He asked. “This morning, he was taken by the ambulance but when I went to the hospital he wasn’t there.”

She was about to answer when Taehyung noticed a shadow of a man from the stairs above, and for a second looked alarmed. He takes a peak to check but she stops him from going any further by grabbing his arm. “It’s okay. He’s my buddy.”

“Buddy?” His brows furrowed.

She let’s go of his arm. “Bodyguard.”

He slowly nods, understanding the situation. She was never meant to leave the event. And since she did, she has someone with her. The figure did seem familiar when he looked up. He’s probably the same guy that drove her car before.

“Jin is fine now.” She told him but somehow he is still not satisfied.

“Can you tell me where he is? What hospital?” He asked. “Don’t get me wrong sunbae, I believe you. It’s just, I would like to go visit him.”

She looked at him straight in the eyes for a few seconds.

He felt like she was looking straight into his soul. Like she can see through him and knows what he is thinking. “I…” He tries to break the silence between them. “…asked Seongwu sunbae earlier when I saw him but he didn’t tell me what hospital Seokjin was taken to.”

“That’s because he’s not in any hospital.” She said. “He’s at home.”

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

Jin is putting on the coat of his suit.

He had taken medicine so the pain on his stomach and chest area is now bearable, though he still feels a little weak. He slowly moves closer to the mirror when someone walks in. He turns around expecting to see uncle Jo coming to check on him. But it wasn’t him.

“Father.” Jin is surprised by his father’s presence. They barely see each other even in their own house. When they do, it’s usually over the dining table once or twice a month when he was in high school and a few times a year now that he is in university living in the dorms. Other than that, they usually go their own ways or just meet at events they're supposed to attend together. He didn’t know his father was home.

Mr. Kim walked in wearing his immaculate tailored suit.

Jin noticed his father checking his suit from head to toe. “Taeyeon chose this for me.” He said.

“As expected, she can be trusted.” Mr. Kim praised. Though the credit was more on Taeyeon than Jin, but he doesn’t mind. He remembered the first time his father took him to a formal event back when he was in high school. He had worn a suit since he was young including attending parties and other events but a formal one where his father meets important people with him by his side was special. He recalled his father telling him.

“Wear the best suit, because people who dress properly can build their life successfully. Wear something that is worthy of the name.”

 

“It’s a good suit, but you’re not leaving the house.” Mr. Kim said.

Surprised by his father’s words Jin asked. “What do you mean?”

“I’d rather have you stay here than attend the event looking frail and vulnerable for everyone to see.”

 

Jin is shocked. He wonders how his father knew. He did everything right with Taeyeon’s help. He was inside the campus, he left the campus in Taeyeon’s car. Besides, he was sure uncle Jo would never tell.

Or does that mean his father still had people following him inside the campus despite their agreement?

 

His father’s voice sounded displeased. “You can’t even take care of yourself.”

 

That last statement brought back a lot of memories for Jin, painful memories. A period in his life he’d rather not remember. Jin clenched his fists. Frustration, defiance, uncertainty and pain. Mixed emotions he is trying so hard to suppress.

By the time Jin came back to his senses, his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter