collide

My Way To You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Yah Min Yoongi! Where are you?” Jin whines through the phone on his left hand while he drags the huge luggage by the stairs with his right one.

“Something came up. I won’t be there until tomorrow.” The voice on the other end of the line replied. “Why?”

“Aish! Why is our room on the fifth floor?!” Jin exclaims, almost out of breath now heading to the third floor with his blue rimowa deluxe luggage still in tow.

“What do you mean fifth floor?”

“When I got the keycard earlier I didn’t check because I was expecting for ours to be on the second floor, now after opening the envelope I just realized our room is located on the fifth.”

“And why are you complaining to me instead of the dorm manager?”

Jin can imagine Yoongi rolling his eyes just from the sarcasm of his voice. “Wait… you didn’t request for it?”

“Why the hell would I request one at the fifth floor?”

“Well… you’ve been frequenting the rooftop last year so I thought maybe you wanted to be halfway there.”

“The reason I like it up there is not because it’s high but because there’s no one else there. You know I don’t like people when I’m stressed and when I wanna be alone I go up because I can’t go far.”

“Yes…” Jin paused to catch his breath. “I know.”

“Wait, are you panting?” Yoongi asked as he could hear Jin’s heavy breathing through the phone. “How can a guy like you get exhausted easily? Use those mighty shoulders.”

“For your information I’m already on the fifth floor right now and I have books in my bag that’s why it’s heavy!” Jin retorts. He lied though, just a little bit, because technically he’s only halfway from the fourth to the fifth floor. “But stop changing the subject, did you really have nothing to do with this?”

“You’ve known me for three years, and when did I ever lie to you?”

True. Jin thinks.

Yoongi is probably the most honest person he knows, no white lies, he doesn’t even sugarcoat things, too honest. Though he doesn’t mean any harm, at least most of the time, that’s just part of his personality.

“Hello? Jin?”

“I’m hanging up now, see you tomorrow.”

“Sort that thing out before I get there.”

“I’ll try.”

“Don’t just try, do it! We’re seniors now, use those privileges because I’m not climbing those stairs nor will I wait forever for that one freaking elevator.”

Jin laughs because he feels the same.

Five to ten minutes of their mornings alone are spent on waiting for the only elevator in the building. If they’re running late they’ll use the stairs, but it’s worse at the end of the day because they’re climbing up. That takes more time and energy than just going down the stairs. Not to mention during the weekends when Yoongi has to do his laundry by himself carrying those kilos up and down the stairs. It’s a good thing that Jin avails dorm staff laundry service or else he’d be doing the same thing.

That was such a Yoongi advice. Now he thinks it’s much better that he’s the one who arrived first. Yoongi doesn’t have the patience for this kind of situation.

“If that doesn’t work, you can always put that face to good use.”

Jin is good looking. He fits the society’s standards quite well. He knows it too himself but despite hearing praises often he doesn’t boast about it. He doesn’t really have to, his friends do it well on behalf of him. But then again, that’s just how life is and good looking people have advantages. “I get it.”

“Or if worse comes to worse, use your influence.”

“You know I can’t do that Yoong.”

“Okay okay, just update me by tonight.”

“I will, call you later.”

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

Jin opens the door with his key card and walks inside the room. The room has the same layout as their one last year. Two beds opposite each other with built in storage under and above it. Two sets of study tables and chairs on the foot of the beds. And in between is the sliding door that goes out to a small balcony where the ac is located. Typical shared dorm room. He chose the bed on the right, just like he always has. He sets down his phone and keycard on top of the bed and then sits on it as well.

 

The university has three types of student housing.

First is the affordable one shared by four students with two bunk beds in one room. This type of housing only has beds, a shared table, bathroom and small balcony but no kitchen.

The second type is a little pricey with only two people sharing. The type of room Jin and Yoongi had been sharing for the past three years. It has two separate beds and study tables, mini kitchen, bathroom and small balcony. The only thing it is missing is a washer and dryer. Everyone in the building uses the washer and dryer facility on the ground floor.

And lastly, the third one is the expensive apartment type where there’s only one student in a room, complete with a bed, study table, kitchen, bathroom, washer and dryer combo and a bigger balcony than that of the second type. Unlike the first two types, in this one the students are billed independently so they can do anything they want. The only downside of the apartment dorm is that it is the farthest since it was an addition to the university student housing. The twin buildings are located just outside the main campus. Its main purpose is to accommodate students who don’t want to live in the dorms shared spaces but still close to the campus for foreign students and well to do ones that can afford it.

 

Every year the students change dorm rooms because it’s a ‘first come first serve’ basis through application. Seniors usually have the upper hand advantage of picking which type out of three and which floor out of the ten-floor dormitory they want. Then the dorm admin sends a reply as confirmation that their application has been received and approved. Then they can collect their keycards from the student services office any time before the classes start. Freshmen to third year students don’t have this privilege, but they can choose who to be roommates with by filling up a joint application option.

When Jin was a freshman he was assigned a room on the fourth floor, though it wasn’t his preferred floor, he was thankful that he got Yoongi as his roommate. They got along well and Yoongi made the adjustment from home to dorm a lot easier for him.

When he was in his second year, he and Yoongi applied together and they were assigned a room on the sixth floor, as sophomores they didn’t have any say to that. Other people usually like the view from higher floors but Jin would prefer to stay close to the ground. Yoongi too shared the same sentiment, especially since the building only has one elevator.

Last year, they again applied together and were assigned a room on the third floor which made both of them glad. Though both are very much looking forward to this year, senior year, when they can finally choose a room on the second floor since the ground floor has no rooms. Main ground floor is the place where the shared spaces and amenities are located, including the lobby, main kitchen, laundry area, gym, courtyard and bicycle parking.

 

Yoongi is the one that sends their joint application every year as Jin is always overseas every school break. That’s why Jin had called him first about the room situation.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter