ambivalent

My Way To You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Hyung~”

 

Jin stops running and turns to look at the owner of the voice that called his name. “Oh Jungkook.”

 

Jungkook walks closer towards the picnic table.

 

Seongwu had left a few seconds ago. He actually was just there to help Jungkook find his direct senior, he had other things to do.

 

Taehyung also stopped running and looked at Jungkook, then back at Jin.

 

“What are you doing here?” Jin asked.

“I heard from Taeyeon noona that you’re both attending the charity event this weekend.” Jungkook starts.

“Yeah, we do, every year.” Jin answered. “What about the event?”

“I’m attending this year.”

“Oh you are?”

“It’s actually my first time so I was wondering if I could ask you about it.”

“Sure.” Jin replied.

 

There was a moment of awkward silence among the three of them just standing there around the table.

 

Then Jin realized that Jungkook probably meant ‘now’. He turns to Taehyung “Just continue reading and I’ll see you back at the dorms later.”

Taehyung nodded and slowly picked up his things from the table.

 

“Hyung, I actually haven’t had lunch yet.” Jungkook informed.

“Really?” Jin looks surprised as it’s almost one in the afternoon already. “Let’s get inside and I’ll buy you lunch.”

That made Jungkook smile.

 

Taehyung on the other hand is not impressed at how easy it was for Jungkook to have Jin treat him to a meal. He remembered that when he shared a meal with Jin, it was only possible because Taeyeon invited him.

 

Jin took his things and headed to the door and inside the student commons.

Jungkook gave Taehyung a look before following Jin inside.

 

Taehyung didn’t like how Jin just easily finished their lesson like that for Jungkook. But then again, Jungkook is Jin’s direct junior. They’re always ready to help juniors out, just like what Seohyun did for him. Still, he can’t help but be a bit disheartened.

He sighs.

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

 

“I want to join the drama club.” Lana said. “What about you guys?”

“I’m already a member of the student council.” Hoseok answered.

“Do we really have to join one?” Hayeon asked. “Because I don’t think I’m skilled at anything.”

“Well, it’s not really required. It doesn’t affect your grades, the clubs are just there so you can socialize and be friends with people of the same interest as yours." Hoseok explains. "Official school teams are different though since they have scholarships and class exemptions whenever they compete.”

“I’m not good at any sports either to join one.” Hayeon said.

“Don’t you like Manhwa’s?” Lana asked. “I’ve seen you reading some on our free time.”

“Yes I do.” Hayeon answered.

“I think the university has a comic club.” Lana suggested. “Though I’m not sure if it’s just comics or mangas and manhwas are included.”

 

The four of them are at a small noodle shop outside the campus eating dinner.

 

"How about you Taehyung?" Hoseok asked.

"I have English tutorial right now. I'm determined to pass my qualifications exam." Taehyung answered, the others nod. "So I’ll focus on that right now." Before he starts eating, he removes the boiled eggs topping from his noodle bowl and puts it on Hayeon’s bowl instead as everyone looks.

“Why are you giving those away?” Lana asked.

“Because I don’t have much appetite, and Hayeon mentioned before that she likes boiled eggs.” Taehyung answered as he finished transferring the last slice of egg.

“You remembered!” Hayeon said gleefully.

“Why? Do you want some?” Taehyung asked Lana.

“No, I was just wondering because you look like you’re sulking hence no appetite.” She replied.

Taehyung didn’t realize he was sulking. He still remembers Jin and Jungkook earlier, which he convinces himself that is just what direct seniors do. “I gave them to Hayeon because didn’t you say you were on a diet?”

“Oh~” Lana expressed. “You remembered that too?”

“He might be quiet whenever we guys chat but he can hear us you know.” Hoseok states. “And his memory is good.”

“Thank you Taehyung.” Hayeon said.

He smiles. “Eat well Hayeon-ah. Don’t go on a diet like Lana. You both look fine and pretty you don’t need it.”

“Ugh! If only everyone thinks like you Taehyung. The world will be a better place.” Lana complains. Not that Lana is overweight, it’s just that her body type just happens to fill the clothes well compared to most other girls. And she’s tired of hearing people say she’d be prettier if she lost some weight.

“I support your decision if it makes you feel confident.” Taehyung adds. “Just make sure you don’t starve yourself.”

“I agree with him.” Hoseok also voices his support as well.

All this while, petite Hayeon just stares at Taehyung fondly, who by now has finished his dinner.

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

 

Jin and Taehyung got back to their floor at the same time. Jin came out of the elevator as Taehyung reached by the stairs.

“At first I wasn’t sure.” Jin starts. “But now I am.”

Taehyung is confused at what the other is talking about but didn’t ask and just followed his roommate as they entered their room.

 

Jin took the papers from his bag and handed it to the freshman.

Taehyung recognized the papers as the ones Jin made as a questionnaire that he answered the day before.

“You answered this one on your messy table.” Jin points at the paper on the left. “While this one you answered on my organized desk.” This time he points at the one on the right. “You not only did better, but actually did well when you were in my study setting.”

“Study setting?” The freshman asked.

“Yes.” Jin said. “Don’t you have a routine when you study?”

The freshman shakes his head.

“An organized desk makes your mind at ease and lets you focus on the thing you are studying.” Jin starts. “Next is lighting. You can’t rely on the room lighting alone. The dorm uses led to minimize electricity bills for students, which is reasonable. So you have got to use your own personal lamp. Good lightning is important so that your eyes can keep up with the workload and don’t get tired. And lastly, the room temperature. You have to adjust according to the weather and your body. Make sure it’s not too cold that you’re uncomfortable, but also not too comfortable that you end up getting sleepy.”

The freshman takes it all in. He is thinking this might be Jin’s secret in being a top student. But there were still some things he was curious about. “The stopwatch.” He murmured.

“What?”

“You have a stopwatch above your desk. What is that for?”

“It’s for me to know how fast or slow I am at answering, reading, those things.”

“Is that important?”

“It depends on the person.” Jin answered. “Exams in school don’t have time limits, but ones in real life do. Licensure exams, bar exams, even as simple as getting a driver’s license. So I think one should be used to doing well under pressure.”

Taehyung nods slowly, seeing from the senior’s point of view. “What about the painting? The one you said that helps in concentration?”

“This Mondrian?” Jin points at his painting solely hanging on his side of the wall.

“Yeah, that one.”

“Well, that one is personal.” Jin paused, forming a smile as if recalling something.

Taehyung turns his attention from the painting to his roommate’s smile.

“I used to lose focus easily whenever I study back then and at times I get awful headaches. But when I got the Mondrian, those things stopped. I just take a break and stare at the painting, it helps me get back and continue.”

“Does it really work?”

Jin nods. “It’s called Mondrian Stimulus. It’s about dissociation of color and movement processing in your brain.”

Taehyung isn’t doing badly in his academics but he is planning on taking a difficult major so he considers it. It might work for him too.

“Here.” Jin hands the freshman another paper. “Make sure to answer that when we meet tomorrow after lunch.”

Taehyung nods. “By the way, you said ‘used to’ so you’re not getting headaches anymore. Why do you still have the painting?”

“Well, it comforts and assures me with it just being there. A lucky charm of sorts.”

“You believe in lucky charms?” Taehyung asked as he doesn’t really see his roommate as someone who believes in things like lucky charms or dream catchers. He’d assume Jin is more of a science-numbers-facts kind of person.

“Yes.” Jin confidently answers. “Because it only works for those who believe in it.”

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter