affinity

My Way To You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Hoseok and Jungkook are inside Taehyung and Jin’s room.

The four of them are definitely a crowd in the small kitchenette area.

Jin and Taehyung are standing beside each other and opposite Jungkook and Hoseok.

 

“What were you doing here in the dorms?” Jin spoke first, breaking the silence and asked Jungkook.

“I came to personally give this back.” Jungkook answered. Handing Jin a small paper bag with his clean dress shirt inside. “I messaged you earlier but I didn’t get a reply.”

“Sorry, I had dinner plans with the other officers.” Jin replied, taking the paper bag, impressed at how fast the junior got it washed and cleaned. “But how’d you know I live here? and my room?”

“I asked Taeyeon noona.” Jungkook answered. “I knocked a few times when I got here but there was no answer so I left and then when the elevator opened…”

 

And the awkward silence is back…

 

Taehyung turns to Jin beside him, waiting for him to say something first. Whatever statement Jin gives, he would just agree with it. But Jin is obviously embarrassed, the senior just cleared his throat and looked down.

Hoseok reads the situation and speaks out. “I called you but I couldn’t reach you.” Referring to Taehyung.

“Ah, my phone died on my way here.” Taehyung answered.

“I came to tell you that Seohyun sunbae wants to see you first thing tomorrow.” Hoseok said. “The elevator wasn’t working again so I used the stairs from the second floor to here.”

“Yeah it got malfunctioned earlier and got stuck for a while on the third floor.” Jin explains this time to make things clear. Having had a few seconds from earlier to think of what to say.

 

Jin explained what happened to the elevator but not about the scene both Jungkook and Hoseok walked into. It was also a good thing that no one is brave enough to ask.

The pause in between was still rather awkward for all of them so Hoseok takes the first step towards the door. “It’s getting late, I should go so you guys can rest now. Thank you for the dinner sunbae.” Referring to Jin, who nods at him. “And don’t forget about meeting Seohyun sunbae tomorrow Taehyung.”

“I won’t.” Taehyung said. “Thank you for letting me know.”

And then Hoseok was off.

 

“I’m leaving as well.” Jungkook said.

Jin walks him out to the door. “Thank you for coming all the way here for my shirt Jungkook. I’ll return yours tomorrow.”

“You’re welcome, and no need to hurry.” Jungkook replied. “See you tomorrow hyung.”

Jin waves as he waits for Jungkook to disappear as he turns to the corner.

 

 

 

 

 

Jin got back inside their room.

 

The lights are already off, sans the one on the entrance area.

 

Taehyung was already lying on his bed, staring at the ceiling silently.

 

Despite the dark, Jin can see he is still awake.

 

Jin walks towards his bed and lies on it as well. He usually washes up before heading to bed but he is just too exhausted. A lot has happened today. He’s also looking for the right timing to apologize to his roommate. He felt guilty for what happened earlier. He did intend to push Taehyung off of him earlier, but he didn’t mean to push him that hard.

 

“Uhm… are you okay?” He breaks the silence again. This time only between them.

“I’m fine sunbae.” Taehyung answered. “Thank you for asking.”

“Uhm… how about your back? Does it hurt?”

“I have a strong back sunbae, don’t worry.”

 

Again, there was silence between them.

 

Jin wanted to ask Taehyung something but he isn’t sure how. “I don’t mean to invade your personal life but what happened earlier…” He paused for a while struggling to find the right words to say. “…in the elevator. If you don’t mind telling me what was that about so, you know, as your roommate I’ll know what to do next time.”

 

Taehyung contemplated for a while. He’s never told anyone about it. The only ones who knew are his grandparents and close cousin.

 

“I’m sorry.” Jin finally said out loud, not waiting for Taehyung’s reply. “I’ve always wondered why you choose to use the stairs even when the elevator is free. But I realized whatever the reason is none of my business and I shouldn’t have forced you to board it earlier. I just… didn’t know.”

“You didn’t force me sunbae.” Taehyung said. “I walked inside the elevator myself.”

Jin was relieved to hear that. “Also, you’re not obliged to tell me, I was just–“

“I was eleven years old when it happened.” Taehyung starts.

Jin stopped what he was about to say and turned to his right side to face and listen to his roommate, who was still lying in his bed staring at the ceiling.

“It was a weekend and my friends and I were playing hide and seek.” Taehyung continues. “I thought I had the best hiding spot when I saw the shed. So I hid there and stayed quiet, determined not to lose. After a while I heard raindrops and realized it had started to rain. I wasn’t sure if the game was over or not because the farm is so big that it usually takes us a while to finish one round. So I stayed there inside the small shed for a little longer. It was comfortable there at first, I was safe from the rain and from the seeker. I didn’t notice the time, until it started getting dark. I then started to realize that maybe the others probably ran off or went home when it rained. If not, then maybe it’s time to stop the game because night time is coming. So I finally decided to come out, but when I tried to push the door, it wouldn't open. I must’ve pulled too hard earlier when I closed it that the wooden latch outside fell down, locking me in.” Taehyung paused a while to take a deep breath.

 

“I called for help but no one heard me. It made sense because our house is quite the walk from that part of the farm we were playing in. The rain didn’t help either. And I was inside a locked shed. No one in their right mind would think someone is inside a shed that is locked from the outside…”

 

“..I eventually got tired of calling for help so I just sat there waiting for someone to come find me. It was a small space, after all it was not a normal storage shed but a small garden one with only garden tools inside. Eleven year old me couldn’t even stand properly inside. It was that small.”

 

Jin kept listening intently. He had questions but didn’t want to interrupt the other.

 

“The rain has stopped but as it gets deeper into the night, it also starts to get cold. I was scared, really scared. I felt like the walls were closing in on me.” Taehyung’s hands grab the blanket on his waist tight. He needed something to hold onto even if it’s just a soft piece of cloth. “When I couldn’t feel my legs anymore because it was starting to get numbed I panicked. My heart started beating rapidly, I was losing breath. I just started crying and eventually lost consciousness.”

 

OhMyGod Jin whispered. Hearing the story now still sounds like an awful experience. “What happened after?” He couldn’t help but ask this time.

 

Taehyung turns to lie on his left side. Now they are face to face. And even in the dark, they can see each other’s eyes from the little shade of light from the doorway entrance.

 

“That afternoon when my grandma came back home and couldn't find me around the house, the first thing she thought is that maybe I boarded the bus to town to follow my grandfather and cousin there. Because earlier that day I wanted to go to town with my grandfather but it was my cousin’s turn to go with him that time. So she went looking for me on the road leading to the bus stop. She even boarded the bus to the town and tried to follow the steps she thought I took. She went around the bus terminal in town looking for me and in different places as well. She even went to the police to ask for help. They think that an eleven year old with no money probably wouldn’t have gone far and suggested for my grandparents to go back home and search the area again. By the time they all got back home it was already night time. My older cousin went to my friends and asked around, while my grandparents searched around the farm including the pond where I often play at. It took them a while because the farm itself is big and it was already dark outside. My cousin came back after talking to one of my friends and told our grandparents what part of the farm my friends last saw me when we were playing hide and seek that afternoon. My friends thought I went home first because they couldn’t find me.

Grandma said they found me around midnight. She was the one who found me because the mini garden shed was hers. And even though it was locked, she just had to make sure.”

 

“Your grandma had that instinct.” Jin commented.

 

“She probably did, after all she was the one who raised me.” Taehyung said. “I woke up in the clinic the next day.”

 

“…”

 

“Since then I’ve avoided small, confined spaces. I even started not to lock the doors in my bedroom because I’m afraid I’d get locked inside while my grandparents and cousin are away. Even though my room has a huge window I can always use in case of emergencies I just… that experience left an impact.”

“So you’re… claustrophobic?” Jin asked.

“I don’t know. I was never medically diagnosed, if that’s what you’re asking.” Taehyung answered. “And I thought I was getting better because when I was in high school I learned to lock my doors again. I’m not scared to do that here as well. And I think having a roommate makes me feel assured in a way. That’s why I was excited to meet my roommate. I really thought I was already good but in the elevator earlier, it was just...”

If Jin felt guilty earlier, now he feels even more sorry because he didn’t know. He didn’t think he was a good roommate when they first met, and still is not a good one right now. But instead of apologizing, he wants to be better at being a roommate and a senior to him. He wants to understand. “If having someone with you helps, then why choose a two person room instead of four?”

“The four people room uses bunk beds. Bunk beds make me feel like I’m in a box, whether I’m on the top bunk or the bottom one.”

Jin nods slowly, four people in a room this size would be a crowd for him. He finally understands why his roommate endured the stairs. “But you’re in the city now though, you can’t avoid elevators forever.” He mentioned curiously.

“I’ve already checked. The admin has four floors and the hospital has six, which I don’t frequent. The commons, which I do go to often only has two. The different faculty buildings range from two to six, ours are at five and the main library has four, both are do-able. The tallest building on campus is actually the dorms with ten floors, eleven if you count the rooftop. Our room is located at the fifth which is the same as our faculty, it’s do-able for me.”

“You did your research.”

“It’s one of the things I paid attention to during the tour the university offered when I was still a high school senior. I like how the campus has a big land area with greenery and a river that runs in the middle of it, and the hidden pond too that reminds me of home.”

“But how about downtown?” Jin asked. “All the high rise buildings?”

“I’ll live the next four years trying to avoid those buildings. There’s good restaurants downtown that are just on the ground floors. I prefer shopping centers who are around two to three stories, max five. And most markets are located on the ground level, so it works for me.”

“You’ve really thought this whole thing through.”

“I had to.” Taehyung said. “The tallest building in my hometown is only four floors, and it’s a private factory.” He laughs this time remembering home. “I’ve only been there once when I tagged along with my grandpa who had to deliver something there.” He continued. “I just try to avoid elevators in general since it’s not just the space, the ground moving also makes me a little seasick as well. I’m from a small town but it’s a farming country side not a seaside town. I’m not used to the ground moving.” He laughs.

Jin laughs as well. He realized that his roommate is a positive person by being able to still find something humorous despite what he’s just gone through earlier. Jin hates waiting for elevators so he uses the stairs sometimes, but Taehyung uses it for a specific reason.

 

 

 

“I’m sorry sunbae.” Taehyung blurts out all of a sudden, shifting back to staring at the ceiling.

“This is the fourth time. I thought it was clear that we already settled about the shirt.” Jin said.

“It’s not about the shirt.”

“Then what is it about?”

“This was supposed to be your day. I hope I didn’t ruin it for you.” The first year referring to the coffee and elevator incidents.

Jin smiles. “You didn’t ruin it freshman.” He takes his duvet and drapes it over him getting ready to sleep. “You did well tonight.” Then he turns to his left and closes his eyes, his back on Taehyung.

Taehyung turns to look at Jin, well, his back at least. What the senior said made him smile, genuinely. He hopes his roommate is referring to him overcoming what happened in the elevator tonight.

 

He remained in that position, looking at his roommates back until he fell asleep.

 

 

 

===

 

 

 

 

“Don’t you have an early class today?” Minho asked Seohyun, who is still in the student council office when she was supposed to leave fifteen minutes ago.

“Yeah, you usually walk with Taeyeon.” Seongwu followed up, knowing their schedules.

“I’m waiting for a junior.” Seohyun replied as she constantly checks the clock on the wall.

“Chaewon?” Seongwu asked, referring to the direct junior Seohyun is looking after.

“No, a different one.” Seohyun answered. “His name is Kim Taehyung, economics freshman.”

“I’m going to class now.” Minho informs her. “Are you coming?”

Seohyun will be late if she doesn’t leave now. So she stands up and gets ready to go with Minho when the door opens.

 

Jin enters.

 

“Oh Seo! Jin’s here.” Seongwu announced.

Seohyun turns to Seongwu with brows furrowed, wondering why he needed to announce that loudly.

“Why?” Jin had the same reaction as her, walking to his desk. “What is it?”

“If I remember correctly, you’re roommates with economics freshman Kim Taehyung.” Seongwu starts. “And Seohyun here is looking for that exact Kim Taehyung.”

“Oh really?” Seohyun smiles. “You’re roommates?”

“Yes, why?” Jin asked again.

“He’s supposed to meet me here this morning.” She explains. “But my class is starting soon so I can’t wait for him any longer, can you give this to him for me?” Handing him a book.

Jin remembered Hoseok did go over to their room last night to let Taehyung know about this meet-up but his roommate was still fast asleep when he left their room earlier. “Sure.” He said, accepting the book.

“Thank you.” She said. “We’ll leave first.”

“Okay.” Jin and Seongwu replied, being the only ones left in the student council office.

 

Jin examines the book.

 

It’s a book about learning English.

 

Is Taehyung trying to learn English?

 

 



===

 

 

 

 

“So what did Seohyun sunbae tell you?” Hoseok asked.

“Huh?” Taehyung, who is sitting in between Lana and Hayeon in the courtyard steps, asked, confused.

“You met her earlier this morning didn’t you?” Hoseok, who is standing in front of them reminds him. “Or did you forget about it?”

“Oh...” Taehyung expressed when he realized. He completely forgot. He had a good sleep last night, probably the best since he came here in university. When his phone’s alarm went off earlier, he just got ready and went straight to class. He totally forgot about meeting their senior.

“You totally did.” Hoseok said matter of factly. “I personally went to your room last to tell you, remember?”

“I know! I’m sorry.” Taehyung said feeling horrible about it. “Should I just go now?”

“I don’t know.” Hoseok answered. “She said morning, specifically first thing in the morning, early because she might be busy the rest of the day or week even.”

“Yeah I heard she spends her weekdays on academics, studying and student council.” Lana said. “And on the weekends she does volunteer work. They say she has two charities she’s supporting.”

“Wait, I thought she spends her weekends playing tennis.” Hayeon adds. “Or was it golf?”

It was normal for them to hear stories and be curious about the popular senior students including Seohyun, after all she is their direct senior.

“Hoseok, you’re in the student council.” Lana points out. “Which one is true about what she does on the weekends?”

“I just got inducted yesterday guys. I don’t know any of them that much yet.” Hoseok said. “But I’m sure she does both sports and charities.”

“How’d you know?” Hayeon asked.

“Because she told us herself during the officers’ dinner last night. It’s the reason why she can’t tutor Taehyung when we ask for her help.” Hoseok explains.

“How does she manage her schedule?” Lana is curious. “I can’t even study and do dorm chores at the same time on the weekends.”

Hayeon nods in agreement.

Taehyung on the other hand is still thinking about how he totally forgot about meeting Seohyun. He’s not really the forgetful type. He wanted to blame it on the incident on the elevator last night. The traumatic memory coming back, that’s why it passed his mind this morning. But then again he remembered everything he and Jin talked about last night and that he was already feeling calm and better, so the incident isn’t exactly an excuse. Or maybe he just remembered that part the most because of Jin.

 

“Guys look!” Hayeon exclaims pointing at the black sedan that stopped in front of the faculty. “Whose car do you think is that?”

“I don’t know, but it looks nice.” Hoseok comments. “And probably expensive.”

“It is.” Lana agreed. “It’s a mercedes maybach s-class.”

Both Hoseok and Hayeon turn to Lana curiously on how she knows that. Lana is the type to know more about fashion, make up and pop culture gossips than cars.

Lana knows they’re wondering so she answers them. “My dad works at a private security company and he drives different kinds of expensive sedan for his clients, usually vips.”

Both Hoseok and Hayeon nod, looking quite interested.

 

Taehyung is still thinking about how he needs a tutor. He’d just go to the student council and apologize to his economics sunbae and hopefully she is still willing to help him.

 

“Wait, isn’t that Taeyeon sunbae?” Hayeon asked. “And Seokjin sunbae too.”

Taehyung looks to where everyone’s attention is, and true enough, it is Jin and Taeyeon getting into the black sedan.

“It is them.” Hoseok confirmed as the car drove away.

“But did you guys see the driver? He’s handsome!” Lana

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter