Pray For Me

The Third Snow Prince
Please log in to read the full chapter

*Daehyun’s POV*

It took us a week to get to the Celestial Kingdom. We got past the border with ease thanks to Doojoon being from the Earth Kingdom. The place was quiet. Few people were stood outside their bare minimum homes, sitting around talking to one another. The aura was much different than any of the other kingdom’s I’ve been to. It felt light and detached.

Everything was spread apart and there were several large temples that could be seen from afar. I shivered a little, it was much colder up here.

Our trip toward the council building was just as quiet as the rest of our trip. Doojoon refused to speak to me. It’s not like I wanted to talk to him anyway, but whenever I asked him about Youngjae, he ignored me.

It was almost unreal. I could barely remember the last time I saw him smile after his brother’s wedding…or even the last time I paid any attention to him since then.

My stomach twisted into knots every time I though about how he was doing. If he was at least healthy. If he was hurt. If he was scared.

I was immediately pushed out my thoughts when we were stopped at the front of the Council temple by the key holder. “What brings you two here?” The man questioned. We climbed off our horses and bowed formally to the man. “We need to speak to the council members. We’re in need of their help.” Doojoon answered.

The man narrowed his eyes, studying both of us. “The 7 council members do not get involved with the affairs of other kingdoms.” He reminded. “Yes. We do understand, and we do not wish to impose on any of your nation’s values, but we are in need of advice. That’s all. We do not ask for any involvement or participation on your end.” Doojoon said.

The man continued to study us. It felt strangely awkward. I didn’t like it. “Fine. You may go in.” He pulled out his key and unlocked the two large doors. “Thank you.” Doojoon thanked the man, entering the temple. I bowed to the man before following the elder prince. We were immediately greeted by a servant and she led us down the maze of hallways.

The walls were made of marble and were lightly decorated. “Wait here.” The woman told us once we arrived at the tall doors. We obeyed and waited outside. She carefully opened the door and entered the room. “Let me do the talking. I don’t want you to mess anything up.” Doojoon finally spoke to me. I scoffed, “Don’t worry about me. You just focus on getting them to help us. All I’m focused on is getting Youngjae.” I sneered. At that moment the servant returned and instructed us to go inside.

We did as she said and entered the large room, the door shutting behind us. The room was fairly dark, light only coming from the large windows and a few candles lined along the walls. The council members sat around a large circular table, facing us, with Korona in the middle. I recognized all the council members. In our lessons we were forced to learn the names of all the current leaders of each kingdom.

The two of us bowed at a 90-degree angle. “What brings you two here?” Council member Sno questioned with an unimpressed look on her face. She was the second eldest member of the seven members. “We are here to ask advice from you.” Doojoon answered.

Korona leaned back in her seat. “And what makes you think that we have the correct advice or that we will even give it to you, knowing our strict policy against being involved in other nation’s affairs.” Council member Callisto questioned. “We are in deep need for help. The two fertile princes of the Snow kingdom have been kidnapped by Lord Changmin. And we need help finding them before anything happens to them.” Doojoon explained.

The 6 members murmured amongst each other. Korona only folded her arms, observing the scene in front of here. I couldn’t help but raise an eyebrow, the priestess didn’t seem surprised by anything.

“We cannot help you.” Rigel, the eldest member of the council spoke. The others nodded in agreement. “All we ask is for your advice. We need to know where they might be headed.” Doojoon said. “We will not get involved in any affair with other kingdoms. Especially dealing with the Dark Guilds.” Council Member Gemini said. “I understand, and as our sister kingdom my family and I respect all of your wishes. But we are in desperate need. We ask for your favor this one time.” Doojoon urged, remaining as respectable as possible.

“Our interest is in the best interest of our people and kingdom. We will not make any exceptions for anyone, Prince Doojoon. Your persistence is honestly offensive to us. We stand firm to our beliefs and policies. If you are so desperate for our help, seek help from someone else or one of the locals, but as a council we will not do anything. And that is final.” Priestess Sno spoke sternly.

I narrowed my eyes at her.

Doojoon gritted his teeth but forced himself to relax. “yes. I understand. I’m sorry for asking for such a favor. Thank you for your time.” He bowed. My eyes slightly widened. Is that it? Is he seriously giving up that easily?

The Earth Prince stood up straight and turned around towards the door. I quickly followed him. “Is that it? You’re just going to give up like that?” I whispered. “There’s nothing we can do. I can’t afford to anger them. They’re my sister kingdom.” He whispered back. I frowned. “we’ll figure something else out.” He said. “Bull.” I cursed. I turned back around and marched up to the round table. “Daehyun.” Doojoon turned around.

“You have to help us.” I demanded, staring down each one of them in the eye. Sno scoffed in disbelief, “We are not obligated to help you. This is your problem.”

I bawled my fist and slammed it against the table. “How can you say that?! How can you just sit on your asses and not care that two people are in danger?!” I snapped. My eyes stung. “How can you sit here so nonchalant about it, huh?! We’re not asking much from you!”

“Isn’t one of the Snow Princes cursed? I see no reason in helping a cursed prince.” Council Member Orion remarked. I gritted my teeth. “I expected more from you guys, but you’re nothing but a group of bastards.” I sneered.

“Daehyun!” Doojoon scolded.

Rigel frowned, “You better watch your mouth boy. You’re close to ruining any chance of any future alliance with us.”

“I don’t care about a stupid alliance. You probably wouldn’t help us if you were our ally anyway.” I spat.

“Daehyun! Would you shut up?!” Doojoon grabbed my arm about to drag me away. “That’s enough.” Korona stood from her seat.

“This bickering is useless. Let’s end today’s gathering. Brothers, sisters, I will deal with them.” She spoke.

The members grumbled under their breaths and stood up, mumbling about how rude I’d been and how I’d regret it as they walked out the double doors. Portia had been the only one who hadn’t stood from her seat. She was the only one, other than Korona, who hadn’t said anything.

Korona studied us for a while before speaking, “It is a firm and strict rule for the Celestial government to not get involved in conflicts concerning other kingdoms. It is the only way to live the life we live by, and that is something you must respect.” She spoke sternly.

I sunk to my knees, unable to handle it. “Please.” I begged. Tears streamed down my cheeks. “Please help us. I’m begging you.”

Doojoon and Portia looked at me in shock.

“I know this has nothing to do with you, but we need your help. Youngjae doesn’t deserve this. He’s done nothing wrong but be too good for this world. You have to at least help him. None of this is his fault. I can’t live with myself if they do something to him. I don’t care what happens after we find him, send him back to the Snow kingdom or keep him here, I don’t care. He just has to be somewhere safe.” More tears poured down my cheek. “I know I’ve done wrong, but don’t punish him for it. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. I’ll do anything. Please!”

Korona didn’t say a word. Instead, she walked around the table and stood in front of me. Portia stared at me, agape. “You should care.” Korona finally said, her voice calm. “He may not be happy anywhere else than the Fire or Earth Kingdom.” She said.

I looked up at her, confused by her response.

“Stand up. It’s weird seeing someone of the Jung family on their knees.” She ordered. I did as she said and slowly stood to my feet.

“I know of Prince Youngjae and his life. I’ve followed his stars and planets for a while. My grandmother was the one who cursed him.” She said. I stared at her in surprise. “My grandmother was the one who was sent by the celestial spirits to punish King Jang for his wrong doings. This is why we stay out of the affairs of others, so there’s no bias when we are sent out by the universe.” She explained.

“I’ve been following his stars and it’s quite amazing. The stars aren’t always correct, but Prince Youngjae’s are difficult to read or even predict. They’re so highly unpredictable that it’s hard to predict what will happen to him, but I do know that good things will come to him. And he’ll be happy if you manage to get him back.” She assured.

However, her words weren’t comforting at all. I didn’t want comfort. I wanted to know where he was and if he’s okay.

“He’s very ill Prince Daehyun.” She said to me, her voice becoming serious. “This is going to be the greatest pain he’s ever suffered so far. And yes, it is partially because of you. I saw that someone dear to him will bring him to his weakest point.” She stared at me. “That must’ve been you.” She assumed.

I didn’t say anything.

She let out a sigh, “We can’t predict where he is or where he will be. That’s not how it works.” She said. “So, was this just a waste of time?” My voice cracked.

“Not necessarily.” Portia spoke up.

The youngest council member stood to her feet and walked up to the three of us. “I think I can come up with something.” She said. Korona raised an eyebrow. “I just need something that belongs to one of them.” Portia said.

Doojoon pulled out Youngjae’s bloodied handkerchief and handed it to her. My heart sunk to the pit of my stomach at the sight. Portia’s eyes slightly widened, “This is perfect.” She said anyway. “I’ll be right back.” And with that she quickly left the room.

Portia was considered fairly young to be part of the council of 7. She was only 27 and had been elected to be part of the council two years ago. Most of the council members had been in their mid-40s or older, with the exception of Korona who was in her late 30s.

Korona directed us to sit down at the council table. She called out for one of the servants and asked her to get us a glass of water and some food.

“You two must be exhausted.” Korona said once we received our water and plater of fruits and vegetables. “You’re welcome to stay the night.” She offered. “Thank you, but we have to decline.” Doojoon turned down the offer. “The sooner we can find them, the better.” Korona nodded in understanding.

“Won’t you get in trouble for helping us?” Doojoon asked. The council leader shrugged, Technically the Celestial government isn’t assisting you. Only Portia is, and she’s also a local citizen. And I’m just simply looking past the whole thing.”

Doojoon nodded, “Thank you, we really appreciate it.” He thanked earnestly.

We waited in silence. Every time I tried to eat my food, my hand trembled. None of this seemed real. I wanted to believe that it wasn’t. I wanted to believe that if I closed my eyes and opened them again, I’d wake up in my bed with Youngjae next to me. But when I closed and opened them, I was still in the council member conference room.

Doojoon didn’t look too good either. He only poked at his food, he didn’t even touch his glass of water. His shoulders drooped, and his face was full of concern and regret.

We waited over a half an hour before Portia finally returned. She held a long gold chain necklace that had a round blue gem that hung from it and a bag of arrows. “I’m sorry for keeping you waiting, but here.” She handed me the chain necklace. I studied the gem, it looked as if it were filled with some kind of liquid.

“I was able to manage to create a seeking potion, using the blood from the handkerchief. The gem will glow the closer you get to him, but it will stop glowing whenever you go in the wrong direction.” Portia explained.

“There’s not many potion makers or magicians left in our kingdom anymore. Portia is one of the rare ones left. Our people stopped practicing magic, believing that it w

Please log in to read the full chapter