Love on Ice

The Third Snow Prince
Please log in to read the full chapter

*Jaejoong’s POV*

I roamed through the kitchen, peeking over the chefs making breakfast. “Can you put a little more sugar on that one?” I asked the chef that was making Daehyun’s meal. “He has a sweet tooth.” I smiled. “Yeh.” She nodded. “Thank you.” I patted her shoulder as I walked over to the furthest chef who was making Youngjae’s soup. “Did you add the herbs I gave you?” I double checked. “Yes. I’m making exactly how you told me.” He smiled. I returned the smile and patted his shoulder and thanked him as well.

“I thought I was the head servant here.” Someone suddenly said.

I turned around to face him, “I was just strolling around.

“Mm hm.” Yoochun said unconvinced, before giving me a hug. “Welcome back.”

I returned the hug, “Good to be back I guess.”

Yoochun pulled away, raising an eyebrow. “I made a mistake.” I confessed. He nodded, and we went to the far side of the kitchen, away from everyone else.

I told him everything that happened at the Snow kingdom and my discussion with Jiyong. The elder looked a bit surprised at the end of my story, “Do you have the letter?” he asked. I shook my head, “I left it with Jiyong. I didn’t want anyone else to see it and find out.”

“Did you tell King Jung?”

“Of course not. He’d be furious.” I said.

“So, what are you going to do?”

“I’ll have to take care of him. He’s lived longer than he was expected to live, so it shouldn’t be too hard.” I said.

“That’s the problem. He can go at any time now. And he’s out of his element.” Yoochun said thinking deeply to himself. “You’re risking your life doing this. If something happens to the snow prince and everyone finds out that you knew. You can be tried for treason.” He said firmly.

“That’s the least of my worries. I have to keep him alive.” I said sternly. The elder sighed, “Either you’re too good for your own being or you have terrible luck. But I’ll help you.” He said. “I didn’t expect anything else from you.” I smiled.

“Does anyone else know?” He asked curiously. “Yeh. I assigned one of the nurses here to be his personal nurse. So, only he knows. I trust him enough not to tell anyone.”

“You’re going to have one nurse take care of him?”

“Yes. It’ll just be me and him. I can’t trust anyone else. But we also have you.” I said.

“Does his personal servant know?”

“Not yet. I will have to speak with him later, when the time is right.” I said. The elder nodded. “Any more questions?” I teased. “No. But let’s pray that the stars are in your favor.” He said. “My favor? Don’t pray for me. Pray for the prince. I’ve done my wrong, he’s done nothing.” I said, only to earn a frown. “That wasn’t your fault.” He said sternly. But before he could say otherwise a servant scurried up to us. “Yoochun. Sir Jaejoong.” She bowed.

We bowed our heads in acknowledgement. “I’m sorry to interrupt but his majesty would like to speak with you…now. Sir Jaejoong.” She announced. I nodded, holding back a sigh. “Thank you, but please don’t call me sir. It doesn’t make sense, there’s nothing special about my title.” I requested. “Yes sir.” She said. Yoochun chuckled at this. I shook my head and followed her to the dining room.

No one else was in the dining room except for the King. The servant girl left right after I entered the room. “You called for me, your majesty?” I bowed at my waist. “Do you have to do that? No one is here.” He said.

I nodded.

He let out a sigh, “I was told that you weren’t eating breakfast with us.” He said getting straight to the point. That’s why he called me? “No, I am not supposed to eat with the royal family.” I reminded. He frowned at this, “Are you mad at me?” He asked in genuine concern. “No.” I answered.

“Then what is it?”

“I will be joining the Snow Prince for breakfast.” I informed him, only to deepen his frown. “He’s not joining us?” He questioned.

“He doesn’t know. I’m having breakfast sent to his room.” I said. The king scoffed, “I give you the power to do whatever you want. You don’t use it. But when you do you either use it on stuff like this or when you’re mad at me.” He was not happy whatsoever.

“I don’t see the problem. You all ditched him for dinner and insulted the poor boy right in front of his face, on his first day. I don’t want to make him more uncomfortable. I brought him here, so my goal is to make him as comfortable as possible.” I said, breaking formality.

“That isn’t your concern.”

“Yes, it is. I put him in this situation and did not think about how you would react. That is my fault. So, it’s my job to make him comfortable.” I said. This only frustrated the younger even more. “Why do you care so much about this weak kid? You have a son to watch over!” He nearly snapped.

My jaw tightened.

His eyes widened as he realized what he said. “What son?” I said.

“Jaejoong, I’m sorry.” He apologized. “I should take my leave. Breakfast is almost ready.” I said about to turn around. “Jae-,” but before he could finish the dining room doors opened. “Good morning father.” Sunghak greeted.

I turned around and bowed to the princes, not caring how much it irked the king. Daehyun glared at me and rolled his eyes. “So, you’re the one that brought the pathetic prince.” Prince Sunghak said when his eyes landed on me. “I expected nothing more from a pathetic negotiator.” He remarked, taking his seat. “Sunghak!” King Jung scolded. “What?”

I bowed one last time before taking my leave.

I returned to the kitchen where one of the new nurses were waiting for me, a tray of food in his hands. “Breakfast is ready sir Jaejoong.” The young nurse bowed. “Please just call me Jaejoong.” I told him. He nodded. “Let’s go before it gets cold.” I smiled exiting the kitchen once more.

He followed behind me until we reached the Snow prince’s room. I knocked on the door, “Hello your highness, it’s me Jaejoong.” I said. “Oh, come in!” He answered. I pushed the door open, allowing the nurse in first.

“Good Morning.” I greeted the two of us bowing. The prince quickly sat up in his bed. “did I miss breakfast?” He asked, panic in his eyes. “No.” I assured him, “We decided to bring breakfast to you, because I’m sure yesterday wasn’t the most comfortable day for you.” I said. The nurse walked over and carefully placed the tray on the Snow Prince’s lap. “Thank you.” He thanked the both of us.

“I’m sorry about what King Jung said and about dinner.” I apologized empathetically. “it’s okay.” He said with a forced smile. “It’s not okay.” I frowned. He looked at me a bit surprised.

“I came here to introduce you to your personal nurse, Do Kyungsoo.” I moved on. “It’s an honor to serve you your highness.” Kyungsoo bowed.

“Nurse?” Prince Youngjae repeated.

“Yes. We know about your sickness.” I told him.

His eyes widened in panic. He opened his mouth, but nothing came out. “Kyungsoo, can you please excuse us?” I asked. “Yeh.” He bowed his head, leaving the room.

Once he was gone I sat down on the edge of the bed. “Don’t worry. No one else knows except for Kyungsoo and I. And we’re not going to tell anyone. I also told one of my closest friends, but it’s only to keep you safe.” I explained.

He hung his head down, “I’m sorry.” He apologized shamefully. “Don’t be sorry. None of this is your fault. I’m glad I found out. I can help you.” I said. He looked back up at me in surprise. “You can?”

“Yes. I’m from the fertility kingdom, like your mother.” I told him. His eyes grew even wider. “You know my mother?”

“Yes. We were friends back when we were younger. I recently received a letter from her, telling me about you.” I explained. He sat there in shock. “So, you were the friend that she was talking about that visited.” He said to himself.

I nodded, “I didn’t know she had a son.” I confessed apologetically. “It’s okay.” He smiled, seeming a bit more comfortable than before. “No ne knows who I am outside the snow kingdom.” He shrugged as if it were nothing new. “Until now.” I smiled. He only looked at me. “I know it’s hard and lonely moving far from home, so please feel free to come to me for anything. I want to do anything I can to make you feel at home. I brought you here so it’s my responsibility to take care of you, especially since you’re Iseul’s son.”

He was unable to contain the smile that etched onto his face, looking relieved by my words. “This is part of the new chapter in my life, huh?” He asked. I smiled, he remembered our conversation.

At that moment there was a knock on the door. “come in.” Youngjae called. “Good Morning Prince Youngjae. Oh, hello Sir Jaejoong.” It was Yoseob, he looked somewhat anxious. “What’s the matter Yoseob?” I asked, standing up. “His majesty wants to speak with Prince Youngjae…now.” Yoseob answered nervously.

“But I’m not dressed, nor have I taken a bath.” Youngjae said a bit panicked. “It’s okay. Just change. Yoseob help him change quickly, please. I’ll wait for you two outside.” I instructed. “Yes sir.” Yoseob bowed as I left the room.

 

I waited for the two of them outside the bedroom door, praying that they’d finish in time. King Jung wasn’t patient. I wondered what he wanted from the prince. He didn’t mention speaking with him today. “I’ll have to go with him.” I thought aloud, unsure of what he wants.

A few minutes later Prince Youngjae came out in his uniform followed by Yoseob. I made note to get a new set of clothing prepared for him, since his snow clothing would be too warm, and the winter isn’t that cold here.

I lead the way to the throne room, entering first. Everyone was already sat in the room. The King, Prince Sunghak, and Prince Daehyun, all of them sitting on their designated thrones.

Prince Sunghak was on the King’s right and Prince Daehyun on the king’s left. The seat in between Prince Sunghak and the king was left empty, where the Queen once sat. The three of us bowed to the royal three. Yoseob and I stepped aside to make room for Prince Youngjae.

Sunghak narrowed his eyes at the snow prince. Daehyun smiled at the youngest prince, sneaking him a quick wave. I raised an eyebrow spotting Youngjae blush a little. Well at least he was distracted from Sunghak’s glare.

“Prince Youngjae.” King Jung began. The said prince immediately straightened up. “As I’m sure that you’re aware that showing up here doesn’t bring peace between your home kingdom and the fire kingdom. But since you’re the best King Jang can do, and we don’t have a fertile prince, I guess you’ll do.” He said. I frowned, this wasn’t necessary. However, Youngjae nodded anyway.

“So, to prevent a war over this issue, the formal way to seal it is through marriage.” He continued. The snow prince gave a slower nod. Though he tried to hide it, surprise was prominent in his eyes. “So, you’ll be marrying the crowned prince, Sunghak.” He announced.

“Yes, your majesty.” Youngjae bowed his head. My heart went out to the poor boy. He was scared. He must’ve bumped into the eldest prince last night.

“Good. I’ll send King Jang a letter to discuss a date.” King Jung said. “Yes, your majesty.” Prince Youngjae said. “That’s all I have to say. I will call you in if I need anything else from you. But for now, on you may go…and…welcome to the fire kingdom.” He muttered the last part. Youngjae bowed, thanked the king, and left the throne room immediately followed by Yoseob.

Once he was gone, Prince Sunghak jumped to his feet. “This is ridiculous.” He growled. “Why are you making peace with them?”

King Jung glared at him.

“You should be making them pay!” Sunghak nearly snapped. “Don’t question my decision. You better watch your temper. If you don’t, when you’re king you’ll end up burning the kingdom down.” King Jung spoke sternly. Sunghak bawled his fist before storming off.

I knew this was inevitable. I knew that by the snow kingdom giving their prince to us, it would result in marriage with the crowned prince in order to create a formal and sealed truce. However, after knowing who the third snow prince is and his condition I regretted going for the deal even more. My heart poured out to Youngjae. He was delicate like his element, and Sunghak was fierce and unforgiving like his own. Sunghak will break him.

“Are you going to tell me how I shouldn’t make peace with them?” King Jung turned to his youngest son, seeing that he was still sitting in his seat. “No. I was just thinking.” Daehyun straightened up. King Jung raised an eyebrow at this. Daehyun stood up out of his seat and stretched, “Maybe a war is a bad idea. It’s tiring anyway.” He said.

King Jung studied him suspiciously as he left the throne room. I was just as surprised. Before our trip to the Snow Kingdom he was just as enthusiastic for war like Sunghak. “did you brainwash him?” King Jung asked me once he was gone. I shook my head just as surprised and confused, but I did hve my small suspicions.

The fire king let out a breathy sigh as he stepped down from his throne. “Are you happy?” he asked, walking up to me. “Me? About what?” I questioned. “About what I did. I didn’t send him back and I welcomed him.” He said as if it were obvious.

I scoffed in disbelief, was he serious? “Yeah, after you insulted him.” I said. He frowned, “What do you want me to do? Welcome him with open arms after what his father did? And as a truce send me a son who no one has heard of. That’s an insult.

As much as I wanted to tell him that the Prince isn’t even aware as to the reason why there’s a war and his fragile state, I knew I couldn’t. At least for Youngjae’s safety.

“He’s just a kid. He had nothing to do with the problem and was dragged into it.” I said instead. But he wasn’t buying it. He had on everlasting grudge against the snow king and everything he does. “Well, what did you want?” I gave up feeling somewhat frustrated. “King Jang offered everything he could, and you rejected everything.”

“There’s nothing he could’ve done or said to make up for it. If you’d done the one thing I asked of you, then it wouldn’t have come to this.” He argued.

“No, it would’ve only made things worse.” I forc

Please log in to read the full chapter