Dancing With A Stranger

The Third Snow Prince
Please log in to read the full chapter

*Jaejoong’s POV*

I let out a heavy sigh, deciding to call it a night. It was hard to focus on anything with Youngjae missing and Changmin’s letter stuck on my mind.

I’ve been putting off our meeting for the past days. I didn’t know how I’d face him. It’s been so long. At the same time, I wondered if it was because I was so accustomed to listening to Yunho that I was hesitant about going to meet him.

I quickly shook my head. I need to do this on my own.

 

I finished putting away my stuff before grabbing my cloak from the coat rack and left my study. Thankfully no one was in the halls, since it was late, so I was able to slip through the halls with ease, all the way to the stables.

I put on my cloak and flipped the hood over my head. No one can recognize me or see me going to Changmin’s. Not even Yoochun or Junsu. They’d tell Yunho. They wouldn’t approve of me meeting with the younger either. But they just don’t know him.

I walked up to the white thoroughbred horse at the back of the stable. “It’s been a while, huh?” I said, feeding her a fresh carrot from one of the buckets. She ate the carrot enthusiastically. I chuckled, “You haven’t changed, huh?” I fed her another one. Her name was Fiona. Yunho had her trained specifically for me as an engagement gift. She was fairly nice for her bred, well as long as you fed her.

“I have a favor to ask of you.” I whispered, unlocking the stall. I quickly, but quietly saddled her up, preparing for my leave.

Before I could lead her out, there was w loud neigh and huff, followed by a bang against the wood of one of the stalls.

I turned around to see that it was Noir, Yunho’s black, fierce Thoroughbred. Sometimes I was convinced they shared the same personality. “Shhh...” I motioned, pressing my finger against my lip. However, he didn’t listen and hit the wood in front of him. I sighed. I had a to quiet him down or else someone will hear. Thankfully, I found a pail of apples left in the corner of the stable. I grabbed the pail and walked up to the fierce horse’s stall. “Here.” I fed him a few apples, but he wasn’t satisfied. “If you stay quiet, I’ll feed you more when I get back.” I gently pat his nose and placed the pail on the ground in front of him before slowly walking away.

Once I was sure he’d be quiet, I climbed onto my own horse and immediately galloped out the stables, away from the palace.

 

Changmin wasn’t always a bad guy. He had a good hear at nature. But he never had anyone to steer him the right way whenever life got tough. Nor, from what I’ve heard, did he have he best childhood growing up. I tried my best to help him, but there was only so much that I could do for him and there was only so far that I could go.

 

X Flashback X

“Ahhh! Changmin!” Jaejoong scolded when he entered his home. Changmin jumped frightened. “Oh…Jaejoong. You’re back.” He forced a grin, trying to hide the wilted plants behind him. Jaejoong dropped his suitcases and quickly walked up to the potted plants, pushing the younger aside. His shoulders dropped at the wilted plants.

The fertile male had gone to the Fertility Kingdom to visit his family for a couple of weeks, so he asked his neighbor, Changmin, to watch over his plants while he was away.

Jaejoong let out a sigh.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to. I-I forgot to water them one day and…and then I kept forgetting and yesterday I tried to make up for it by giving them a lot of water…but they’re still like this.” Changmin panicked.

Jaejoong knelt and studied his plants.

“I’m sorry for killing them. I really am a jerk.” Changmin frowned, guilt overwhelming him. However, he was thrown by surprise when he heard the elder laugh. “They’re not dead. They’re just wilting.” Jaejoong said. Changmin looked at him not understanding. “They’re just really thirsty.” Jaejoong clarified.

He ran his fingers gently along the stem of the plant and it began to turn green and stand tall again. Changmin watched in amazement as the fertile male did this with the other plants. “You’re amazing.” He said in awe when the elder stood back up.

Jaejoong chuckled, “It’s nothing special, Afterall, this is my ability.” He reminded. “But that suits you so perfectly.” Changmin complimented sincerely, only to earn another laugh from the elder. “Since you’re here, would you like some tea?” Jaejoong offered. Changmin nodded vigorously. “Okay. I’ll be back.” Jaejoong left to the kitchen. Changmin smiled to himself. He was glad that his friend was back, it felt like forever when he was gone.

 

While Jaejoong made their tea, Changmin voluntarily moved Jaejoong’s belongings into his room.

Jaejoong finished the tea by the time Changmin joined him in the kitchen and the two sat at the small round table, drinking and talking about random things. Changmin asked several questions about the elder’s visit. He was intrigued by his friend’s home kingdom.

“Your home kingdom seems really nice. I want to visit it.” Changmin commented. “Well, when I go back to visit, I’ll take you with me.” Jaejoong smiled, sipping his tea. Changmin grinned, excited by the idea. “I’m gonna hold you to it.” He said. “You have my word.” Jaejoong promised. “It is really nice though.” Jaejoong said, getting lost in thought.

Changmin noticed this and tilted his head to the side. “Do you want to go back?”

Jaejoong paused, but slowly nodded, “Yes.”

“Then why don’t you go back?” Changmin questioned. “I can’t do that.” Jaejoong tried to laugh it off. However, Changmin frowned, “Why not? Is it because of Prince Yunho?” He growled.

“Changmin.” Jaejoong sighed.

“Why do you listen to him? He’s already married and already has a son with her.” Changmin said unimpressed. “you should go and do what you want instead of listening to him.”

“Changmin it’s not that simple.” Jaejoong said. “It is simple. If you love someone, then you should do everything to be with them and if you can’t, then let them go. Don’t control them.” Changmin slammed his fist on the table.

Jaejoong placed his hand over the younger’s fist to calm him down. “Don’t get worked up over it. It’s between Yunho and I. I don’t want you to be upset.” Jaejoong smiled gently. Changmin studied him, “Jaejoong are you happy?” He finally asked.

Jaejoong was thrown off by the sudden question. He’d never really thought about his current state of happiness before. He just assumed he was happy because Yunho said so. “O-Of course I am.” Jaejoong tried to hide his shock with laughter, not wanting to worry the younger. “Jaejoong, leave Prince Yunho and be with me.” Changmin said bluntly.

Jaejoong blinked dumbfounded. “Wh-What?”

“Be with me. You can do whatever you want. We can even move to your home kingdom. Jaejoong, I’ll make you happy.” Changmin looked at him with pleading eyes. “Jaejoong, I-I really like you, a lot.” A blush involuntarily formed on his cheeks.

“I…” Jaejoong didn’t know what to say. He was taken by surprised. He loved Changmin as a brother and a dear friend. He cared for him immensely, but he couldn’t say he reciprocated the same feelings. He didn’t know what to say. But before he could fathom a reply, there was a banging on the front door. Jaejoong immediately stood up. “Please excuse me.”

Jaejoong left the kitchen and went to the door. “Hello?” he answered. His eyes slightly widened, “Yunho?” “I heard you were back. How come you didn’t come by the palace?” The fire prince stepped into the home. Jaejoong closed the door behind him. “I was going to stop by later.” Jaejoong brushed off. “But can you return later? Now is not a good time.” Jaejoong said.

Yunho frowned, “Why?”

Before Jaejoong could answer, Changmin entered the living room. “Hey, Prince Yunho.” He leaned his shoulder on the entrance wall. Yunho’s frown deepened. “Is that how you greet a prince?” He hissed. Changmin only stared him down. “Yah! Do you want to be punished?!” Yunho spat, stepping up to him.

“Yunho calm down.” Jaejoong pulled the fire prince back. Yunho glared at the elder. “You came to see him first and not me?” He said upset.

Changmin scoffed, “Are you a child? Why does it matter who he sees first? You’re married anyway.” He remarked. “What did you say? Do you want to die?” Yunho ran up to him, breaking Jaejoong’s hold. Changmin was unphased, “He’s a grown man. You can’t control him forever, while you’re at home with a wife and son.” The 20-year-old didn’t back down.

Yunho growled and punched him in the face. “Yunho!” Jaejoong snapped. The eldest member grabbed the prince and shoved him away. “What the hell wrong with you?” He scolded.

“Are you okay?” Jaejoong turned to the youngest member. “I’m fine.” Changmin murmured. He pulled away from him and stormed out the house. Jaejoong’s shoulders dropped. He knew that he was hurting.

Changmin stomped out the house, holding his cheek. The prince’s punch hurt. The noble wasn’t a fighter. He wasn’t good at fighting. He didn’t know how. That’s why he avoided fights. In fact, he avoided people in general. The only person he confided in was Jaejoong.

Changmin looked back at the house. He saw the two arguing harshly through the window. His eyes stung. He knew that the arguing was useless and that the two would end up making up minutes later. Changmin bawled his fists, “What does he see in him?” With that he stormed off back to his house.

X End of Flashback X

 

I climbed off Fiona when I arrived at his house. The place was dark. Was he home? I tied Fiona to the gate and walked up to the tall maroon door. I took a deep breath and knocked on the door. “It’s me~!” I called.

It only took a couple of minutes before the door opened. My eyes slightly widened at the sight in front of me. The man at the door was much taller from when I last saw him, and he looked more mature. However, his eyes were hard. I pulled down my hood and bowed. “I got your letter.”

As soon as I straightened up, he hugged me tightly. “Jaejoong.” He breathed. I relaxed in his embrace and hugged him back.

“Come inside.” He broke the embrace. I thanked him and entered the large home. He closed the door behind me. I smiled, seeing that the home was exactly the same from when I’d last been here. Changmin snapped his fingers and all the candles were lit at once. “Would you like some tea?” He offered. “Of course.” I smiled, and he led me into the large kitchen.

I sat down at the long glass table and observed the magnificent kitchen as he made the tea. I’d always been envious of his kitc

Please log in to read the full chapter