Hold On

The Third Snow Prince
Please log in to read the full chapter

Kikwang groaned as his stomach growled. He hadn’t been able to eat in days since his hands were tied behind his back. Yet, the outcasts still brought his food to mess with him. “Bastards.” He cursed. He was starving, and his wrists and ankles ached from the tight ropes tied around them. Nor could he hardly sleep, but that was the least of his worries.

He worried about Youngjae.

He could hear the younger’s whimpers of pain, and it only sounded as if it were getting worse.

“Youngjae.” He pressed his head against the wall. “What’s wrong?” he begged. The younger snow prince never answered that question. “Please tell me.” He urged after hearing him cough his lungs out. “If I tell you, then you’ll worry about me.” Youngjae said.

“Youngjae, just hearing your coughs worry me.” Kikwang argued.

Youngjae was silent for a moment before giving in. “It hurts Kikwang. Everything hurts and it’s cold. Kikwang, I’m so cold. Nothing I do warms me off. I cough up more and more blood. I feel weak, I can barely move. Sometimes…Sometimes it’s hard to breathe. I-I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I don’t know what’s happening to me.” Youngjae was panicked, “Kikwang, is this what dying feels like? Am I dying?”

Kikwang froze at his brother’s question. His heart nearly snapped. He was lost for words. He didn’t want to believe that he was dying. His heart pounded in his chest. He was scared.

“Kikwang?” Youngjae questioned, snapping him out of it. “Y-Yeah?”

“Am I dy-,”

“No Youngjae. You-You’re not dying. You just need to stay strong, just a little longer.” Kikwang encouraged. His words only made Youngjae’s eyes sting, “But Kikwang, I’m too tired. I’m tired.” He whined.

Kikwang panicked, “Youngjae don’t give up. You can’t give up. What about me?”

“I don’t want you to worry about me anymore. I want you to live a life free without me.” Youngjae sounded too content for Kikwang’s liking. “What…What about Daehyun? How would he feel if you gave up?”

Youngjae paused, “He’s mad at me.”

Kikwang’s brow knitted together, “What do you mean?”

Youngjae sighed, “He found out the truth about Jaejoong and he got mad at me, because I didn’t tell him.” He said quietly.

“Is that why he didn’t come to the party with you?” Kikwang questioned. “Yeh.” Youngjae answered.

Kikwang frowned, anger rising within him. He swallowed back his anger, knowing that that’s the last thing his brother needs now. “Forget him Youngjae. Don’t give up. Don’t forget about your kids. Just hang on a little longer. I’ll get us out of here.” Kikwang said determined.

“Okay Kikwang. I’m going to go to sleep. I’m tired.” Youngjae said, lacking much hope, if any.

Kikwang looked around the room, determined to find a way out. He rolled on the ground toward the door. He pressed his back against the wall and pushed himself up against the wall, scooting up to his feet. However, he paused when he heard foot steps from the other side, followed by murmuring.

Kikwang pressed his ear against the crack of the door.

“What do you mean?!” he heard one of the outcasts question, sounding somewhat panicked.

“I saw the princes of the fire kingdom roaming the area yesterday.” The second man repeated. “They probably know that the princes are here.” He said.

Kikwang raised an eyebrow at the news.

“I doubt it. They’re probably here to ask King Kwon for help.” The first man brushed off. But the second man didn’t take the fact so lightly, “Didn’t you hear about the base at the Sunshine kingdom get burned down? If we left a few days later, they would’ve found us.” He stressed.

Kikwang was now listening closely.

“Even if they thought the princes were here, they won’t be able to find us.” The first man said confidently. “I’m still going to alert the others. We can’t afford to lose the princes. Changmin will kill all of us.” The second man said, walking away.

Kikwang slid to the ground. A wave of relief washed over him. “Just hang on Youngjae. Just a little longer.”

 

 

There was a loud knock on Doojoon’s door. “What’s up?” The crowned Earth Prince opened the door. “You ready? It’s time.” Daehyun said.

Doojoon strapped Kikwang’s bag of arrows across his chest. “I’m more than ready.” He stepped out the hotel room, shutting the door behind him. Everyone was already gathered in the hall.

“Are you rested?” Junhong asked Doojoon. The elder nodded. “You probably won’t have to do much once Kikwang is free, but good luck.” The sunshine prince smiled. “And you stay out of trouble.” Doojoon told him, not wanting to be subjected to Consort Choi’s wrath. Junhong playfully rolled his eyes before moving onto his other two friends.

“Are you okay?” Jongin asked.

Yongguk nodded.

Jongin smiled a little, “You look less tense than our last mission.” He noted. “This…doesn’t feel as hard.” Yongguk said, not understanding his own feelings. Jongin nodded in understanding, “It’s because you’re doing something right.” He patted the elder’s shoulder.

Daehyun sheathed his sword and secured his daggers and knives in his pockets and on his hips. He was focused and ready to get Youngjae back. He didn’t care about anything or anyone else. Sunghak rested his hand on his younger brother’s shoulder. “Are you ready?” He asked. Daehyun scoffed at his question, “What kind of question is that?” Sunghak only shrugged. “Just one thing.” He said.

Daehyun looked at him.

“Make sure you give them hell for messing with the fire kingdom.” He said firmly. Daehyun scoffed, pulling away from him, “I’m giving them more than that.”

“Come on. It’s already sunset.” Doojoon announced, already walking down the hall toward the stables, not bothering to wait for the other two. Daehyun and Yongguk were quick to follow behind. The other three watched as they walked away.

 

Jongin peered out the window when his friend and the two princes reached their horses. “Do you think they’ll be able to get through all the outcasts and save the snow princes?” He asked aloud to no one in particular. “Of course.” Junhong answered anyway. “Yongguk was one of the best fighters out of all the Sunshine knights. And Doojoon is the best fighter in the entire Earth Kingdom. And…” Junhong paused, “…And Daehyun is angry.”

Jongin turned to face him, not understanding the Sunshine prince’s last words. “What does that mean?” he questioned. “That means he’s going to kill everyone.” Sunghak spoke up with a smirk.

 

 

Youngjae hugged himself. His entire body ached. He felt as if his energy was being drained from his body. He tried to eat, but it was no use, he’d end up throwing it back up. He felt a little more comfortable about eating the food that Jaebum gave him.

After he and Kikwang were separated, Jaebum had been put in charge of guarding Youngjae’s room, which included bringing him food. Strangely, Youngjae felt comfortable around the outcast. He came off as stern but was less scary and gruesome than the other outcasts. He was quiet and dint’ try to like the other guards.

Youngjae struggled to sleep. The floor was uncomfortable, and he was too weak to make it to the bed.

Youngjae laid on his side, giving up. Tears streamed down his cheeks in frustration. “I’m sorry.” He whispered. “I’m sorry to everyone I failed. I’m sorry Kikwang. I’m sorry Umma. I’m sorry Ms. Lee, I’m sorry Jaejoong. I couldn’t be as strong as you wanted me to be, as you believed me to be.” He squeezed his eyes shut. “I’m sorry Appa, Queen Jang, Hyungseung, YeEun. I couldn’t make you proud.” He sniffled a little, “I’m sorry Daehyun…for causing you trouble.”

Youngjae wiped his eyes. He was about to close his eyes when the bedroom door busted open, causing him to jump.

He quickly sat up. His eyes widened when he saw two gruesome men storm into the room. “What do you guys want?” Youngjae scooted back into the wall. “You’re coming with us.” One of the men pulled out a rope and cloth.

 

Kikwang was about to doze off when he heard Youngjae scream. His eyes shot wide. “Youngjae?”

“Stop! Leave me alone.” He heard the younger cry out. “Shut up and keep still.” He heard another voice.

“Youngjae! What’s going on?!”

“Kikwang! Kikwang, they’re taking me away. I-I can’t move. They-They tied me up!” Kikwang could hear the panic in the younger’s voice. “What? What are they doing? Where are they taking you?”

“Kikwang I’m sc-,” Youngjae’s cries turned into muffles as the cloth was tied around his mouth.

“Young? Youngjae, what’s going on?” Kikwang called out only to receive muffled cries in return.

“What are you guys doing?” Jaebum stormed into the room, hearing the commotion. “We were told to take them straight to The Valley. The fire princes are here. And that probably means the Earth prince is too.” The man carrying Youngjae over his shoulder explained. “We’re taking the younger one first. We’ll come back for his brother.” He said. Jaebum nodded in understanding. “Fine. Go.” He said. Youngjae tried to cry for help as they marched out the room, but his cries were muffled.

Kikwang overheard everything. “.” He cursed, struggling harder to break from his ropes.

 

 

Doojoon, Daehyun, and Yongguk hid behind the trees in front of the motel. “We need a plan to get in there. It’ll be better if we can break in through the top floor.” Doojoon explained. “It’ll save us time if we-,” However he was cut off by shouting that came from the building. He looked to see that Daehyun had already ran off to take on the outcasts. He sighed in irritation. “Never mind. Let’s go.” He ordered, running off first, followed by Yongguk.

Daehyun cut down all the outcasts that guarded the building, running straight into the abandoned motel first. He sprinted through the halls and fought everyone that got in his way. The fire prince didn’t spare anyone.

He ran into the first room he saw, only to find a group of outcasts playing cards. They all stood up at abrupt entrance. “Where’s Youngjae?” he asked. “As if we’re gonna tell you.” One of the men spat on the ground. “Fine. Enjoy your last breath.” Daehyun growled. The men pulled out their swords and ran to him.

Daehyun clashed swords with his first opponent. The man was strong. Daehyun could tell that he was originally from the Earth Kingdom.

Daehyun gripped his sword and p

Please log in to read the full chapter