Sacrifices

The Third Snow Prince
Please log in to read the full chapter

*Daehyun's POV*

 

The next morning, we woke up early (well early for me) and ate the breakfast Ms. Yoo prepared for us. Youngjae was in much higher spirits this morning, talking nonstop to his mother, telling her about his mini escapade.

It was interesting watching Youngjae interact with his mother. Their relationship was interesting. They seemed close but distant. Considering that his mother was forced to miss out on most of his life, it was understandable, the distance at least. But they loved each other very much, it was obvious, which brought that closeness. Especially Youngjae.

“Were you that hungry this whole time?” Youngjae questioned, interrupting me out of my thoughts, studying me with wide curious eyes.

“Huh? No, why?”

“Because, this is your third plate of food.” He pointed out. I looked down and saw that my plate was full again. I hadn’t realized that I had taken out two plates of food already, I just kept getting more. “Oh, that? I wasn’t starving. The food was just really good.” I complimented.

Youngjae smiled at this and nodded in agreement, “but sorry for eating all your food.” I apologized to his mother, somewhat embarrassed. Youngjae chuckled, catching my embarrassment. Ms. Yoo smiled at her laughing son then looked at me. “You’re welcome.” She said, though I knew she meant, ‘thank you’. I nodded in response.

“I guess we should start heading to the palace.” Youngjae said once we finished breakfast. “Well, actually I was hoping you’d give me a tour around the city.” I said, nonchalant.

He looked at me confused, “But, I already gave you a tour.” She said.

“Yeah, but that was at night. I haven’t seen what the city looks like in the day.” I shrugged.

He paused, staring at me for a moment then laughed, “You’re strange.”

Honestly, as much as I’d rather stay out of the cold, I didn’t want to g back to the palace for his sake. He was feeling better now and depending on what decision the king made, all that could change.

“Here, take this with you.” Ms. Yoo said, before we left the house, handing Youngjae a small basket. “The herbs I used last night are in here and the tea I gave you is in here as well. Take them for the next few days and you’ll be fine.” She instructed.

Youngjae nodded and hugged her tightly, “Thank you Umma. And I’m sorry.” He squeezed her. “It’s okay. Just be more careful next time. Okay?” She said, returning the hug.

The Prince pulled away from his mother and nodded, “I promise.” He promised, the seriousness prominent in his eyes. “And come visit me after you finish taking the herbs, kay?” She said. “I will!” he promised and with that we headed out the door but before I could step out, Ms. Yoo stopped me.

“Thank you again for saving him.” She thanked sincerely.

“You’re welcome but don’t thank me. I’m kind of responsible for it.” I confessed, the guilty feeling returning. “Don’t blame yourself. In the end we all make our own decisions.” She said.

I wanted to disagree with her. Youngjae was different. I don’t know what, but he was. He couldn’t have made that decision, not on his own at least. But who was I to argue with her about her own son? “How come you aren’t made at him for going out like that?” I said instead.

“As a parent, I should get onto him to prevent it from happening again, but I believe he learned his lesson.” She said, “And I can’t punish him. He’s already been punished enough.” She said mournfully.

She had a point. Though I don’t know all that went on in his life, just from what I’ve heard, I believed her words to be true. I was tempted to tell her what we discussed at our meeting with the king. But for some reason, I had a feeling she knew.

“Be safe.” Was the last thing she said before I finally walked out the door.

Youngjae waited for me, standing by the horse, petting its side gently.

I helped him onto the horse first, then climbed on in front of him. “Where shall we go first?” I asked.

“The city’s market.” He said. “The market it is.” I said, hitting the reigns.

 

We spent the day roaming around the city, me following Youngjae’s directions as he explained the history and the fun spots in the city, as well as sharing memories of the things he and his brother, Kikwang, did the rare times he went out.

“Where did you get the horse?” He asked when we took a break to get something to eat. “I borrowed it from your guys’ stables.” I simply answered.

“Oh…so, they know.” he said almost sounding disappointed.

“No.” I said. He looked at me surprised.

“I snuck out the castle and told the stable boy that I wanted to go for a ride and he lent me a horse.” I explained.

He looked at me in amazement as if he heard the greatest story ever. “Wow, thank you for not telling them.” He thanked. “You’re welcome.” I shrugged, “But I also didn’t tell them because it would’ve ruined the fun.” I winked, earning another strange look from him. However, something behind him caught my attention.

There were two men in black cloaks eyeing Youngjae from a distance. But they quickly looked away when they spotted me staring back at them. “We should head back to the palace now.” I said, turning serious. The younger prince nodded, and we climbed back onto the horse. I kept a keen eye out, making sure we weren’t being followed.

 

“Thank you for saving me.” Youngjae said as I helped him down from the horse. “You already said that.” I told him.

“I know. I may not be able to see you tonight. So, I want to make sure I said thank you. I don’t know how I can repay you.” He said, a light blush on his cheeks.

“You can repay me by telling me another one of your life stories next time we meet.” I said.

“But I don’t…”

“You don’t what?” I challenged.

He was about to continue but then smiled, “Okay.” He gave in.

“Good.” I said.

“I may not be able to see you again for a while.” He said. I nodded in understanding, “Well, whenever they set you free just come looking for me and you’ll find me.” I winked. He nodded, an excited smile on his face, and with that he entered the castle first.

As soon as he entered the castle, he was swarmed by several servants, immediately checking on him and asking him a million and one questions about how he felt.

I dropped the horse back to the stables before entering the large castle. As soon as I entered the castle I was immediately greeted by a worried and flustered Jaejoong. “Where did you go? You were out all night.” He questioned. “I was visiting a friend.” I brushed passed him. He frowned, “I know you don’t have any friends here.”

I glared back at him, “Don’t act like you know me.” I sneered.

Jaejoong sighed, “Daehyun, I was just worried about you.”

“Excuse me?” I nearly snapped.

He caught himself and bowed his head, “Please forgive me…your highness.”

I rolled my eyes, “Did he make his decision yet?” I asked, moving onto important matters. The elder nodded, “He just called for a meeting.” He answered.

I paused for a moment, feeling nervous for the first time in a while. “Then let’s go.” I said, already walking off. He lifted his head and followed behind me.

I repeated several mental prayers as we made our way towards the throne room. The guards were already at the door. They opened the doors when we arrived. I slowed down, letting Jaejoong lead the rest of the way.

The king and queen were already sat at the long table. The air was stiff and felt colder than normal. Queen Jang greeted us with a head nod and smile as we took our seats. King Jang didn’t seem to notice us. His focus seemed to be on something else as he thought hard to himself. Stress was prominent on his face.

“Hello your highnesses.” Jaejoong bowed. The two bowed their heads, though King Jang seemed mostly out of it. “I’m sorry for the delay. We had a slight mishap yesterday, but it was all resolved this morning.” Queen Jang apologized, seeing that her husband wasn’t going to say anything.

“No, it wasn’t a problem at all.” Jaejoong assured her. It was silent for a moment as the three of us waited for the snow king to speak. We all sat there waiting expectantly.

I pressed back in my seat, watching him as he looked up at us. He let out a heavy sigh, “I will send my youngest prince to the fire kingdom, in exchange for peace.” He finally announced.

My eyes slightly widened. Was he serious?

I looked at Jaejoong who looked just as surprised. I narrowed my eyes at him, silently urging him to reject the offer. “You don’t have to do this. If you have anything else to offer, I’m sure we can discuss it.” Jaejoong tried.

However, the elder man sighed and shook his head, “After discussing it with my wife it’s the best we can offer. A life for a life. Nothing else we can do to make up for the incident with Queen Jung. And I was a fool to have thought otherwise.” He explained.

I glanced at the Queen to see that a smile snuck on her thin lips. I couldn’t help but internally scoff. “This is my last offer. If you can’t accept this, then our negotiating is done. This has been too stressful, and I have other things to focus on.” The king spoke sternly.

Jaejoong was silent, thinking over the situation.

I stared at him, silently telling him no. If war is what he wants we’ll give it to him, but he can’t hand over Youngjae.

Jaejoong took a deep breath and nodded, “Your offer is accepted.”

At that very moment, for a split second, my heart dropped.

King Jang nodded, “Good. I’ll have his departure ready immediately.”

“No.” I spoke up, earning everyone’s attention. “Two weeks.” I said, looking the king in the eyes, keepi

Please log in to read the full chapter