The Archers

The Third Snow Prince
Please log in to read the full chapter

We all road our horses back to the castle. Doojoon led the way with Jongup and another guard in the back, leaving Himchan and I in the middle.

A majority of the ride was silent. “I’m sorry.” Himchan apologized. “For what?” I was caught by surprise. “This was my idea.” He said. “So? I should be thanking you. I had fun, and did you see the look on his face when he saw Wonho?” I lowered my voice.

Himchan smiled and nodded. “Making him feel frustrated was the point. So, I can care less if he’s mad.” I said. He nodded. “And you at least got to speak with Jongup for a little bit.” I quickly added. His cheeks turned red up to his ears. “E-Excuse me?”

“You heard me.” I smirked before speeding up ahead of him. Playing the games was fun and it was satisfying making Doojoon feel just a little bit of what I feel. But meeting Wonho was…fun too.

Ignore them.

I couldn’t stop the small smile from creeping on my lips. Who knew that two simple words could have such an affect?

We arrived back to the palace where Queen Yoon greeted us. “I’m glad to see you two together.” She was overjoyed, hugging us both. I couldn’t help but feel guilty. Queen Yoon was very kind and loving and I really enjoyed being with her. It brought her joy to see Doojoon and I together. But it wasn’t what she thought it was. And I hated faking it.

I’m against the whole arranged marriage idea for business, but for her I wouldn’t mind cooperating but Doojoon was too much of an airheaded jerk. “yes mother. I know I’ve been busy, but I enjoy every moment I can with Kikwang.” Doojoon smiled. I forced myself from glaring at him. How can he do this to his mother? Lie to her? Why Lie? She’s going to eventually catch him and it’ll break her heart.

Queen Yoon gleamed at this. “Wonderful! Dinner will be ready soon. So I will see you then.” She smiled, patted my shoulder, and walked away.

“Jerk.” I muttered when she was gone.

“What?”

“How can you lie to your mom like that? The least you can do is actually try.” I said.

He scoffed “Who are you to tell me anything? You would do the same thing if you were in my situation.”

I baled my fist, “You don’t know what I’d do. You don’t know anything about me. But I do know that I would respect my mother and do what she asks and be honest with her.” I sneered and stormed off.

 

I spent the rest of the time in the library reading. The library had some of the books my mom used to read to Youngjae and I when we were younger. They even had some of her favorite books that I decided to check out.

I gave Himchan the rest of the day off, wanting to be alone. I pretty much stayed in the library when I had nothing else to do, reading the books my mother read. She used to read on her free time and kept a long list of all the books she read, that I packed with me.

She read the strangest books.

I missed her.

I let out a sigh, “I guess if I marry the crowned jerk I’ll have more power and resources to look for her.” I said to myself. “Umma, I’ll find you and bring you, Ms. Yoo, and Youngjae here.”

 

A few minutes later a servant came and called me for dinner. When I arrived at the dining room, the king and queen were already seated.

I bowed before taking my assigned seat. “How are you enjoying your time at the Earth Kingdom?” King Yoon asked. “I am really enjoying it your majesty. The people are fun and kind. And everything is big and beautiful. There’s so much to do.” I said. King Yoon nodded, “Good.”

“We really like you Kikwang. We know you’re a perfect fit for our kingdom. We want you to be comfortable. So, please let us know if you have any problems.” Queen Yoon insisted. I bowed my head, truly appreciating the offer.

It was a strange feeling to be around such caring people. It felt weird but refreshing.

At that moment Bora and Doojoon arrived.

 

Once everyone was seated, our food was brought to the table. The Yoon family chatted throughout dinner like they did every evening. Talking and joking around like a normal family. It was probably my favorite part of each day. It was only during dinner when I saw Doojoon as a normal person with a heart.

“So, where did you go earlier Kikwang? I was looking for you when I got out of my lessons. But no one knew where you were except for the stable boy. He said that you went somewhere with your servant.” Bora said, turning her attention to me.

“Oh. I went to the market to play some games.” I answered.

“Awe~! You went without me? I feel betrayed.” She pouted. “What games did you play?” She asked curiously. “The target games, of course.” I couldn’t help the smirk that creeped on my lips. Bora returned the smirk, “I bet you impressed everyone.” She said.

I shrugged.

“Don’t pretend to be humble.” She clicked the roof of her tongue, unimpressed. “Guilty as charged.” I teased.

“Ah yes. Speaking of which. I received a letter from the Lee family, requesting that we have their son train Kikwang with his target shooting.” King Yoon spoke up.

I raised an eyebrow at this. They work fast.

Doojoon frowned.

“What? But Kikwang doesn’t need training. He’s already unbeatable.” Queen Yoon said. “Lee Hoseok? Isn’t he the best archer in the kingdom? How does he know about Kikwang already?” Bora asked surprised. “We played a game of darts.” I told her.

The other three sat there stunned.

“Did you win?” Queen Yoon asked curiously. “Yes. But I said he won because he had the coolest move.” I answered. Bora rolled her eyes, “There he goes again, faking humbleness.” She teased. “Seriously. It was really cool.” I defended. King Yoon nodded, considering it.

“Umma is right. Kikwang doesn’t need lessons or training. He’s already great.” Doojoon said.

“It wouldn’t hurt for him to learn a few new things. And Hoseok is the best in the Kingdom. He could help him practice as well. Kikwang, what do you think?” The king asked. “I wouldn’t mind. It would keep me busy while Doojoon is out performing his duties.” I said.

King Yoon furrowed his brow. “I put all your duties on hold. You shouldn’t be that busy.” He turned to Doojoon. “I’ve been helping the people in the towns. I made promises to help them earlier.” Doojoon answered. Bora made a face at him. “Why not take Kikwang with you?” The king suggested.

Bora and I nearly choked on our drinks.

“I’m concerned about his health and safety.” Doojoon answered.

“Yeah. Gotta make sure I don’t melt.” I remarked.

“Pardon?” King and Queen Yoon questioned.

“Nothing. Kikwang was just kidding.” Doojoon quickly said before I could repeat what I said.

“Well, I guess until you finish fulfilling your promises, Kikwang can take lessons in the mean time if he’d like to. It’ll be good for him to get to know our closest ally.” King Yoon said.

“Neh.” I nodded. Doojoon muttered a yes before going back to his meal. “so, what did you two do? I saw you return to the palace together.” Queen Yoon asked.

“I watched Kikwang play darts with Hoseok.” Doojoon struggled to sound delighted. “Yeh, but Doojoon made me go home early. And he came to make sure I returned home.” I said.

“Oh?” Queen Yoon questioned.

“I was just concerned about your health. It wasn’t sure if it was too warm out.” Doojoon forced a smile. “I thought you weren’t feeling well.”

“That’s a common misunderstanding for you, isn’t it?” I forced my own smile.

“I just want to make sure you’re okay.” He gritted.

“I’m sure I said that I was fine.” I said.

The other three stared at us awkwardly. We noticed and quickly straightened up, forcing uneasy laughter. “Um, did you guys fight?” Bora asked. We didn’t say anything, waiting for the other to answer.

A smile grew on Queen Yoon’s lips. “Awe, you guys had your first fight? I’m so glad. I was worried. You guys were getting along so well, I was afraid that you’d never fight until you were married and wouldn’t know how to handle it.” She sounded relieved.

Doojoon and I sat there dumbfounded, thrown off by her reaction, but we played along anyway. “Don’t worry. It’ll pass through. You just have to hear each other out with open hearts and come to an agreement.” She advised.

“Neh.” We answered.

For the rest of dinner Doojoon and I avoided talking to each other, not wanting to expose ourselves any further. After dinner, everyone went their separate ways. King Yoon went to write a letter to the Lee family about the lessons, while the rest of us went to bed.

“Kikwang.” Doojoon stopped me when we were alone in the hallway. “What?” I turned to face him. “Don’t go to the lessons. Tell my father that you changed your mind.” He ordered.

I scoffed, “Now what would I look like if I appear indecisive to your father.”

Doojoon frowned, “That doesn’t matter.”

“Actually, it does. Because just like you, I have an image to protect also.” I said. He rolled his eyes in irritation, “That’s not going to ruin your image. Just don’t take the lessons okay?”

“Why not? If I want to, then I should do it. Especially if his majesty approves.” I said.

“No. You can’t.”

I folded my arms, “Five me a legitimate reason why and then I’ll consider it.”

He let out an exasperated sigh, “Why are you so difficult? Why can’t you just listen?” He growled. I narrowed my eyes at him. “Me? I didn’t ask to be here. And you’ve been nothing but a jerk. If you want someone to listen to you every beck and call, to tolerate your behavior, then find someone else. Ask your parents to call off the wedding and find someone else, because that’s not me. Other than that, you’re just going to have to deal with it!” with that I stormed off to my room, slamming the door behind me.

“Who does that bastard think he is?” I cursed under my breath. I sighed and fell backwards onto my bed, not bothering to change my clothes. I laid there silently before grabbing a folded paper on the table next to the bed.

I carefully unfolded the letter and read it. I always read it every time I have a bad day or Doojoon does something to piss me off. It was the first letter from Youngjae. It made me smile knowing that he was doing well.

He spoke about his visits to Ms. Yoo’s house, and how he’s improved on crocheting. He and his mother handed out sweaters to the people in town. He assured me that Queen Jang wasn’t acting funny around him. In fact, he hardly saw her. He then went on about how he went outside the city to visit the town beyond, and the outcasts he faced, and how Prince Daehyun saved him.

I put the letter down after reading about Daehyun. He had no idea who Daehyun was, or even that he’s a prince.

It was weird how a prince from the fire kingdom was helping him, but I’m glad Youngjae has someone to push and support him. I’m especially glad that someone was there to save him. I was a little worried though. I wrote him back a couple of weeks ago, but he hasn’t responded. If he’d written me back, then the letter should’ve been here by now.

I tried not to think about it too much. Maybe he’s been busy and hadn’t got the chance to write. And even if something happened, there’s nothing I could do from here anyway. I’d have to wait till I returned. But I prayed he’d write me before then.

 

-

 

The next morning, I performed my normal routine and prepared for the day. Someone knocked on the door as soon as I finished changing. “Come in.” I said.

The door carefully opened, and a servant came I with a tray of food. “Good morning your highness. I’ve brought your breakfast.” She bowed. I raised an eyebrow, “Where’s Himchan?” “I don’t know your highness. No one has seen him all morning, so I was told to bring you your breakfast.” She answered.

I raised another eyebrow, surprised by this. This wasn’t like Himchan. He was always on time and punctual. He wouldn’t just “disappear” without telling anyone. Unless…he forgot.

A sneaky grin grew on my lips. “Okay. You can take the food back. I’m not hungry.” I said. “Yeh.” She bowed before leaving.

I felt bad for making her walk back and forth, and I was indeed hungry. But I had to look for Himchan. I didn’t want to miss anything.

I waited a few minutes before leaving.

I roamed the halls quietly. “If I were him, where would I hide?” I searched in the less busy parts of the palace. I had to be smart about where I searched or else I would end up roaming the entire castle and th

Please log in to read the full chapter