Talk

The Third Snow Prince
Please log in to read the full chapter

*Yunho’s POV*

I sat at my desk, dreading through the paperwork that I’d put off and that Jaejoong placed on my desk whenever I was out. “I brought tea!” Yoochun entered my study, without knocking, a tray in his hands.

“I didn’t ask for tea.” I grumbled, not appreciating his abrupt interruption. “Jaejoong still not talking to you?” He retorted. He sat down comfortably in the cushioned seat across from the desk and placed the tray on a nearby table. “Did you come here to annoy me?” I said, now irritated. However, he didn’t answer me and filled one of the glass cups with tea. I shook my head and returned to my work.

“So, what are you going to do?” Yoochun asked, sipping from the tea cup. “I thought that was for me.” I remarked. “When did I say that?” He scoffed.

I put my pen down and sighed. “Why do you want to know what I’m going to do?” I questioned. “Because I want to correct whatever ed up plan you have.” He said casually.

Yoochun was my closest friend. We were friends since we were kids. I didn’t and still don’t have many friends. He was the only one in the palace that wasn’t afraid of me and wasn’t afraid to say and do whatever he wanted when we first met, and he still is the same.

I frowned, leaning back in my chair.

“Look Jaejoong is my friend too, and I hate seeing him this way. I’m even tempted to help him get out of here.” He shrugged. I growled at his words. “If you-,” “Listen to me.” He cut me off. “This may be your last and only chance.” He said. “And what makes you think you can help?” I challenged. “I’m the only person from the palace he still talks to and tells me everything. He tells me things that he’d never tell you.” He smirked tauntingly. “And your temper and greed will only-,” “Okay, okay, are you going to tell me or what?”

“The key is the snow prince.” He finally said. “What? That weak prince?” I grumbled. “If you want things to be right with both Jaejoong and Daehyun. The prince is the key.” Yoochun said.

“Daehyun?” I repeated. “What does he heave to do with Daehyun?”

Yoochun frowned, “Don’t tell me you’re too much of a bonehead to not notice.” He said highly unimpressed. I returned the frown, “Are you just here to insult me?”

The younger raised his hands in surrender. “You know how everyone is suspicious that Daehyun likes someone?” He began. I slowly nodded. “And that someone is Prince Youngjae.” He said.

I paused, but quickly shook my head. “He’s from the snow kingdom. Daehyun hates them.”

“Tch…Don’t tell me you haven’t noticed how he’s nice to the kid. He even went with him when they went to hand out sweaters. Daehyun would’ve never done that on his own. And I’m sure you know about the river boats. He took Youngjae with him. He asked Jaejoong and I to set it up.” He continued.

“Yoochun stop with this nonsense. Daehyun would never.” I frowned.

“Fine.” He shrugged. “Don’t believe me. But just know that Jaejoong isn’t coming back until all this is blown over and only if Daehyun is fine with it.” The younger stood from his seat. “And it looks to me that Daehyun is going back to his old ways.” He his heel and walked towards the door. However, he stopped, “The Youngjae kid is actually pretty interesting. You should open that small mind of yours and give him a chance.” And with that he left the study.

“Bastard.” I grumbled, “He’s getting too loose with his tongue.”

I let out a long sigh and attempted to get back to my work. However, it was harder to focus. The younger’s words had me thinking. I thought back when the kid apologized about Nayoung’s death and how Daehyun stood up for him when I got onto him. Or even when he went out to handout sweaters. I never told him to go and I doubt Jaejoong even asked him. And after they handed out the sweaters, the two didn’t return with the group. And he was the one who suggested that he and Youngjae shared a carriage to the Earth Kingdom. In fact, I was surprised that he wanted to go in the first place.

I dropped my pen on the desk and leaned back in my seat. I thought about the night when he came into the theater with Youngjae to watch the Lover’s play. I thought about when he got mad at the younger prince when he found out that he was Jaejoong’s son. “What were they doing together that night?” I ran my fingers through my hair before pushing out my seat.

I left the study and headed out the back of the castle and made my way outside to the training grounds. Sure, enough Daehyun was there, training.

He was fighting hard, putting more effort into his training than usual. I raised an eyebrow watching him. He was ruthless to every opponent he sparred.

I spotted the snow prince standing in the distance. He was watching Daehyun from afar. We made eye contact. His face turned to panic, and he quickly ran away. I raised a curious eyebrow but brushed it off. “You’re fighting for blood.” I remarked, walking up to the platform.

The surrounding guards bowed at my presence. Daehyun kept fighting, not losing his focus. “I sparred with Prince Doojoon and he beat me.” He grumbled. “Is that really why you’re fighting so hard?” I questioned.

“He said that I have to use my element behind my sword.” He said, ignoring my question. Doojoon was the best fighter in his kingdom. It would’ve been interesting to see him fight. “You’re not going to achieve that by fighting like that.” I said.

He stopped fighting. Sweat was dripping down his face, down his neck. He was breathing heavily. “What do you want?” He asked. I waved my hand, dismissing the surrounding guards.

“I want to talk to you.” I said, getting serious.

“I have nothing to say to you.” He said.

“You can’t ignore me forever.”

“Watch me.” He challenged.

“Fine. Then you can’t train or fight or do anything until we talk.” I said. He narrowed his eyes at me. He dropped his sword and stomped off.

I sighed. “That stubborn kid.”

 

I went back inside the palace to my study and returned to my work. It was still hard to focus. Sunset had already fallen, so Jaejoong was already on his way back to his house. I had Junsu always him to and from the palace and assigned knights to guard his home at night while he was asleep. There was no way I was going to let him leave unguarded. Everyone knows who he is, and I don’t want to risk anything.

My mind kept drifting between Jaejoong and Daehyun, I could barely focus on my work. And I had to finish it all today or else Jaejoong will be mad at me. But I doubt he can be anymore mad than he already is now…but I could be wrong.

There was a sudden light knock at my door. “Come in.” I flipped through the papers, counting how many I had left. The door slowly opened and closed.

“Good evening…your majesty.”

I looked up, not recognizing the voice.

To my surprise it was the snow prince.

I raised an eyebrow. “What do you want?”

“I was…I was wondering if we were going to Prince Junhong’s birthday party this week?” He asked, unable to look me in the eye. “We?” I repeated.

His eyes widened in panic, but he couldn’t find the right words to correct himself. “No. None of us are going.” I answered anyway.

“Oh.” Was all he said.

“Do you want to go?” I asked.

He was silent, thinking about the right thing to say. “Y-Yessir.” He finally said. I couldn’t see how Daehyun would be interested in such a timid kid (if Yoochun’s words are true. He’s too timid and could barely stand for himself. Daehyun would be stuck babysitting him.

“If you want to go, I’ll send you there.” I said.

“R-Really?” he perked in shock.

“Might as well. I’ll never hear the end of it from Jiyong if none of us go.” I said. Despite how annoying and nice he appeared to be, the Consort would give us hell if none of us attended the big party. “You’ll leave in the morning early tomorrow. So, you can get there on time.” I said. “I will have a carriage prepared tonight. You’ll pack your own things since it’s last minute.”

He nodded vigorously. “Yes sir.”

“Don’t embarrass us.” I said firmly.

He paused, “P-Pardon?”

“As much as I hate the idea, the only way Jiyong won’t be mad, is if you go representing the fire nation.” I explained. His eyes grew wide, “Y-Yes sir. I-I’ll make you proud. I promise. Thank you so much.” He bowed several times before turning to leave. “One more thing.” I stopped him.

“Yes, your majesty?” He turned back around.

“What’s your relationship with Daehyun?”

He froze. I raised an eyebrow. His body stiffened.

“I…” he began but couldn’t finish. “I…” He tried again. His eyes began to water, and his bottom lip quivered.

“Uh…never mind…go.” I waved him away. If Jaejoong found out I made the kid cry, he’d never forgive me. He bowed one last time and silently left the study. I shook my head, he was a weird kid. I never understood why he never stood up for himself or even went off on everyone. I would’v

Please log in to read the full chapter