Bad Blood

The Third Snow Prince
Please log in to read the full chapter

*Doojoon’s POV*

“Wow. I think you’re almost as good as me.” Wonho complimented as Kikwang split the noble’s throwing knife with his own. Kikwang was unable to contain the wild smile that grew on his lips at the achievement. Wonho laughed, noticing this. “I think I’m better than you at this point. I split a knife in half.” Kikwang said proudly.

“What? You don’t think I can split a knife in half? That’s child’s play.” Wonho said. “Just admit it. I’m better than you now.” Kikwang smiled deviously, pushing Wonho’s shoulder. “I have tricks that I made up that you don’t even know about.” He said.

“You may be better at arrows and shooting now. But I doubt you’re as good with a sword.” Wonho said, pulling out his sword. “Oh. You must’ve forgotten, you taught me a little bit of that too.” Kikwang grinned, pulling out his own sword.

“Hey Joon.” Bora said as she passed by. However, she stopped in her tracks and backed up, following my line of sight. A smile slithered upon her lips. “They’re cute, aren’t they?” She said. “Tch.” I scoffed.

She looked at me. “Are you jealous?” She asked curiously. “Why would I be jealous of Kikwang?” I said. “I’m not talking about Kikwang.” She said.

I frowned, “Never.”

She only shrugged, unconvinced. “Well, you shouldn’t be surprised. Kikwang is very attractive and has a fun personality that everyone is attracted to. But you wouldn’t know that.”

“He’s only here to train him. They’re not supposed to be goofing around.” I said, ignoring her statement. “Don’t you have some lady friends to be swooning? Why are you here scowling at them?” She said, a hint of bitterness in her tone.

“I’m here to watch the end.” A crooked smile grew on my lips. She looked at me confused. “Just watch.” I told her, watching the two drop their swords at Kikwang’s defeat. Their training was coming to an end.

The two were breathlessly laughing together, tossing their swords for a drink of water. “You fought hard, but not hard enough.” Wonho teased, sitting next to Kikwang on the platform. “I just need more practice. I was particularly prepared for a duel today anyway.” Kikwang simply said. “Okay.” Wonho remarked sarcastically. “You won’t ever be better than me.”

“That’s rude.” Kikwang scoffed. The noble heir only shrugged, “I have to be the best, so I can protect my mom, dad, and younger brother.” He said.

“You have a brother?” Kikwang asked a bit surprised. Wonho nodded, “I’d do anything to protect him.” He said. Kikwang nodded in understanding. “I know what you mean. I have a younger brother back at home.” The snow prince smiled to himself at the thought, “I can’t wait to go back and see him.”

Wonho looked at the elder and smiled.

“But! When I come back I’ll definitely beat you.” Kikwang perked back up. Wonho laughed, caught off guard by the sudden burst. “You’re really. Excited about that, huh?” He laughed. Kikwang nodded shamelessly.

Wonho’s laughter slowly faded, turning into a sigh. Kikwang raised an eyebrow, hearing his sigh. “As much as I’d love to hold you to that…I don’t think we’ll be able to.” He confessed.

I smiled.

Kikwang’s face turned to one of confusion. “Why not?”

“Because…” Wonho actually looked disappointed and hesitant. That’s a first. “I’m afraid this is our last training together.” He said.

“W-Why?”

“His majesty spoke with my parents last week. He thanked them for allowing me to train you. But said that since you were going to marry Prince Doojoon in two months it would be more appropriate to have one of their own knights train you from here on out. So, today is supposed to be my last day here.” Wonho explained.

Kikwang sat there stunned. “But…that doesn’t make sense.” He said. Wonho nodded in agreement, “I have to obey the King’s orders.”

Kikwang was silent.

He let out a hefty sigh before finally nodding, “Will you at least be at the wedding?” he asked. Wonho shook his head, “It won’t be a good idea for me to attend.” He said. Disappointment was prominent on Kikwang’s face.

“This was your doing, wasn’t it?” Bora turned to me, an unimpressed look on her face. I shrugged, “I just simply expressed my concerns to father.”

Bora frowned, but before she could say anything, Kikwang’s male servant, Himchan, approached us. “Good afternoon, your highnesses.” Himchan bowed. “Prince Doojoon, his and her majesty will like to see you and Kikwang in the throne room immediately.” He informed. “Okay.” I said. The servant nodded and walked onto the field to where Wonho and Kikwang were. He bowed to them and informed Kikwang that my parents wanted to see us.

The two stood up and said their final farewell to each other through a firm handshake. Then Himchan led Kikwang into the castle.

“Jerk.” Bora said to me, walking into the castle as well. Knowing how nosey she is, she probably went to the throne room as well.

Wonho glanced at me and approached me. “It must be nice to be crowned prince on his home soil and do whatever he wants.” Was the first thing he said. “I didn’t say you couldn’t come to the wedding.” I pointed out.

He frowned, “I have my reasons. I would say it should concern you, but Kikwang is obviously of no concern to you.” He said. I returned the frown, not understanding what that was supposed to mean. Wonho caught onto this. “I don’t expect you to get it. But just remember, Kikwang is a fertile prince. He can easily take care of himself, but don’t underestimate the people out there.” He said.

I narrowed my eyes at him, not understanding why he was telling me this. He sighed, “Bye, your highness.” With that, he walked away.

I rolled my eyes feeling more irritated than before. Who the does he think he is?

I marched back into the castle, heading towards the throne room. I forced myself to calm down, not wanting anyone else to notice. Besides, I should be happy. Wonho is back out of my hair again.

When I entered the throne room, everyone was there, including Bora. My parents sat on their thrones with Bora leaning against our mother’s throne. Kikwang stood on the floor facing them. “Hello Doojoon.” My mother greeted. I returned the greeting, walking up next to Kikwang. The younger prince didn’t batter a glance at me in the least.

“We called you here today to discuss your schedule for the week.” My father spoke. I raised an eyebrow at this. “It’s actually a surprise.” My mom gleamed. “This is Kikwang’s last week before he returns to his home kingdom.” My dad continued, remaining serious. “Unfortunately, you two weren’t able to spend as much time together as we hoped.” My mom pouted. “So, we’ll be sending you two on a camping trip for the next four days.” She beamed. Both mine and Kikwang’s jaws dropped.

“You two will be going alone. We already have a carriage set up for the two of you. You two will be leaving tonight. We have your supplies and necessities packed. You just need to pack your clothing and any extra items you want to bring.” My father explained. “That should give you two some extra time to spend together before your marriage.”

A sly smirk slid on Bora’s lips.

I held back the strong urge to groan. Instead, I forced a smile. “That sounds like a great idea.” I lied.

Kikwang nodded in agreement, “I’m already looking forward to it.”

My mother gleamed, “Wonderful! Now hurry and get ready, so you can leave before it gets dark.” She said. The two of us bowed, thanked them, and left the large room.

The two of us said nothing to each other and went our separate ways. I released a loud groan, sliding my bedroom door shut. Great. Just what I needed. I wanted to spend my last weeks as a free person. “I guess I still have a month after he leaves.” I remarked, opening my closet.

I didn’t take long to pack. There wasn’t much I needed, expect for cloths and shoes. I was sure that my mom overstuffed our carriage with a ridiculous amount of supplies.

 

After we finished packing, we met in the dining room for an early dinner while the servants put our bags in the carriage. Once we were done, my parents and Bora walked us out to the carriage to send us off.

 

“Oh~, you boys have fun and be safe.” My mother gave us a tight hug. “You gotta tell me all about it when you come back.” Bora said, hugging us each. She sent me a crooked smile before pulling away. Then we climbed onto the front bench of the carriage. My father handed Kikwang a map. “The tend and everything you need are inside the carriage.” He said. I nodded, grabbing the reigns. “The trip should only take two hours.” My father said. With that I hit the reigns and we were off.

 

-

 

The trip was quiet at first, with Kikwang murmuring instructions to me.

“This doesn’t seem right. Are you sure you’re following the instructions correctly?” I asked after a half an hour, not recognizing the area. “Yeah. I’m following the map. You have to make a right soon.” He said, showing me the map.

I slowed down the horses, looking around. “I think we need to make the turn here.” I said. “That’s not right. It’s further down.” Kikwang said. “It’s this way. It looks familiar.” I told him.

“That’s not the right way.” He argued.

“I think I know where to go. I live here.” I reminded.

He scoffed, folding his arms, “Fine.”

I turned the reigns, directing the two horses to make the right.

“Where do we go next?” I asked, after a few minutes of riding. “I don’t know. I thought you lived here.” He remarked. I frowned, continuing to go straight, following wherever looked familiar. Kikwang leaned back in his seat, arms folded.

We road in silence.

After another half hour of riding, I began to get a little frustrated. “You’re lost.” He finally said. I scoffed in response. “We should’ve already been at the campsite by now, but we’re nowhere close.” He went on. “As if you know.” I muttered. “Okay. Well, since you know, then where are we Doojoon?” he challenged.

I opened my mouth to answer, but nothing came out. I had no idea where we were.

“That’s what I thought.” He remarked.

“Is there a problem?” I said now irritated, “You’ve had a sour attitude ever since we left the palace. If you have a problem, then say it.” I nearly snapped. “As if you care. You already know. This is all because of you, why Wonho can’t come to the palace anymore and train.” He accused.

“You’re mad about that?” I remarked.

He glared at me.

“Why are you blaming me? You don’t know if it was me.” I argued. “Please. You were the only one against it.” He said. I scoffed, “Why does it matter anyway? You’re going to be married soon.”

“What does that have to do with anything? He’s just a friend. But you just always have to have your way, don’t you? And make me even more miserable. I can’t have one friend at the palace, but you can go ahead and throw yourself to any girl you please.” He sneered.

“What did you say?!” I snapped.

He rolled his eyes. “I don’t want to argue about this with you.” He said. “Here.” He shoved the map into my chest. “You need to get back on the path and follow the map the rest of the way there.” He instructed. I huffed internally, taking the map. Kikwang leaned back in his spot and closed his eyes. I observed the map for a few minutes before continuing.

I followed the map back onto the path and the rest of the way to the campsite. Kiwkang slept lightly, though anger was still prominent on his face. I could care lessa bout who he hangs out with, just not Wonho.

 

We arrived at the campsite two hours later. It was a vast part of land, filled with thick green grass. However, the grass was brittle and turning brown, due to it being winter. The trees surrounding the area were bare, with only a few winter trees here and there. I stopped the horses and unhooked them from the carriage and pulled their gear off, so they could be comfortable.

Kikwang woke up when I finished tying the horses to one of the nearest trees. He climbed off the seat and opened the carriage. Minutes later he pulled out the tent. “do you know how to set up a tent?” he asked me. I shook my head. He looked through the carriage then searched the tent. He puted, “There’s no instructions.”

I groaned loudly, “This is probably my parents’ doing. They probably wanted us to learn to work together.”

“Let’s hurry and get this set up before it gets dark, the sun is already setting.” Kikwang said, dragging the tent toward a good spot. He pulled the tent out of the bag and went straight to work.

The tent was pretty big (which wasn’t much of a surprise). Kikwang laid everything flat on the ground, observing it. I joined him.

He grabbed the ground sheet and placed it neatly across the grass. “We should put the poles up first then put the tent cloth over it.” He concluded. I nodded in agreement. “You put on the cover and I’ll insert the poles.” I said.

“We can both put in the poles. It’ll be faster.” He said. “No. I’ll do it. I’m stronger, so it’ll be easier for me to do it.” I explained. He frowned, “I don’t see how it can be t

Please log in to read the full chapter