Make it Out Alive

The Third Snow Prince
Please log in to read the full chapter

*Doojoon's POV*

 

The next morning, I woke up to the smell of fire.

I rolled onto my back before opening my eyes. I furrowed my brow. I looked to see that Kikwang wasn’t inside the tent, his stuff splayed across the ground. He didn’t even close his sleeping back. I shook my head and slid out of my own sleeping bag. I then changed and organized my belongings before exiting the tent.

Kikwang was already dressed, hovering over a fire. He was focused on whatever it was he was making. “What are you doing?” I asked.

“I’m making breakfast.” He said as if it were obvious. “What are you making?” I frowned.

“Boiled blueberries.” He answered nonchalant.

“What?”

“There wasn’t any more food. Your dad left a note saying we had to fish for food for the rest of our trip. So, I found a few surviving blueberries and boiled them.” He explained.

I was completely thrown off by the explanation and his logic. Boiled blueberries? “Why didn’t you just go fishing?” I said.

“You think I know how to fish? I live in the snow for Pete’s sake.” He scoffed. “Um, yeah. I’m sure there are some frozen in the iceberg or something.” I said.

He rolled his eyes, “You’re an idiot.” However, he looked as if he wanted to laugh a little. “Just eat them. They’re good for you anyway.” He said, scooping me out a bowl of the finished product.

“Are you sure these are blueberries?” I questioned. “yeah. I know my plants and berries.” He said.

I shook my head in disbelief. Boiled blueberries? Is that even thing? I took a sip from the bowl.

I immediately spit it out.

Kikwang looked at me, not having taken a sip from his yet.

“What the heck is that?”

“I tried to add a little flavor to it.” He mumbled.

“Wha-How do you mess up boiled blueberries?” I asked in disbelief. “Maybe my cooking skills are the same as Bora’s.” he mumbled quieter.

I shook my head for the nth time and put my bowl down. “I’ll do the cooking from now on.” I said, afraid to try whatever else he makes. I wouldn’t even trust boiled water from Bora. “Let’s go fishing, so we don’t starve.” I said. “Okay.” He perked, dumping out his untouched bowl.

I scoffed. Why do I have the hunch that this was planned? “I found a river nearby.” Kikwang said already heading to the carriage to grab the tools. I dumped my ‘soup’ thing and put away the bowls before joining Kikwang in taking out the supplies my parents left for us.

Kikwang then led the way to the river. I let him lead the way, not in the mood to get into anymore arguments, nor did I want to risk being wrong again. “Will there be any fish, since it’s winter?” Kikwang asked, observing the river. “yeah, there’ll be fish, but it’ll take a while since it’s cold out.” I said.

I searched for what would look like a decent spot. Then I sat down on the ground and to my luck there was a tiny fish right near the edge. I quickly swapped the fish and placed it on my hook. Kikwang stared at me in disgust. “What?” I asked. “You just…can’t you get salmonella from touching raw fish like that?” he questioned. I shrugged, “I never did.” I said, not thinking much about it. “Eew.” Was all he said.

I rolled my eyes. “You’re fine as long as you wash your hands. Live bait is better than fake ones.” I said. “I am not touching raw fish.” He argued. I shook my head once more, “Give me your pole.” He did as I said. I grabbed another small fish and hooked it securely at the end of his hook then handed it back to him.

“Do we have to sit on the ground too?” He asked.

I just looked at him.

“Never mind.” He muttered, sitting down a few feet away from me. “My clothes are going to be so dirty after this.” He grumbled to himself. I suppressed a laugh. He really was as high maintainanced as I thought.

 

We sat there in silence, our bait in the water, waiting for our first victims. I enjoyed fishing. It was one of my favorite past times. I used to go a lot with my father when I was younger. I smiled to myself. It’s been a while since I’ve last went. I forgot how calming and refreshing it was.

A rumbling sound came from Kikwang’s stomach. I raised an eyebrow at this. But he sat there, pretending that nothing happed. However, it rumbled again, this time longer and louder. “Ugh! This is boring.” He sighed obnoxiously, trying to cover it up.

I scoffed, “No it’s not.”

“Yes, it is. It shouldn’t take this long to get food.” He said. “Boiled blueberries shouldn’t have been so bad that it wasn’t edible.” I retorted with a slight tease. “Whatever.” He muttered, “I should’ve brought a book.”

It wasn’t until a few minutes later when my pole began to twitch. I grinned, immediately reeling in the line. Kikwang’s eyes widened, watching in anticipation. I pulled the fish out with ease. “Sweet! Ii caught a bass!” I announced. I then dumped the semi-large fish into the bucket. “Yes! We can finally go!” Kikwang jumped to his feet.

“Um, no. This is for me.” I said.

“What?”

“You have to catch your own.” I told him.

He looked at me as if I’d just betrayed him. “Plus, we need more fish for dinner and breakfast tomorrow.” I added. The younger groaned, flopping

Please log in to read the full chapter