Alone

The Third Snow Prince
Please log in to read the full chapter

*Youngjae’s POV*

For the next week, my lessons all changed, focusing solely on the fire nation. Their history, their economy, environment, culture, and even their fashion. Though it was strange that I suddenly started learning about our enemy kingdom it was quite interesting. Their way of life was extremely different. YeEun skipped her lessons to join me, saying that she wanted to learn too. She took a ton of notes, especially on the Fire Kingdom’s policies, however, Ryeowook never gave her the homework and tests he gave me.

Hyungseung insisted that I visited my mother, so I visited her a few times that week. Hyungseung even canceled some of his own duties to go to the city with me. It was really nice spending time with him after so long. I hadn’t realized how much I missed him after this week.

For Daehyun, he stopped telling me stories. Instead, he asked me about what I learned and helped me with my work. He expanded on the things that I was taught and told me about other stuff, specially what he liked about the fire Kingdom.

“Is it cold there? Does it snow in the winter?” I asked curiously. We were sat outside, behind the castle at night. Daehyun laid on the bench of his back, looking up at the sky. I sat on the thick layer of snow, the snow becoming softer as I ran my fingers through it.

“No.” Daehyun laughed, “It’s too hot over there for it to snow. It hardly even rains.”

“Really? So, what happens during the winter?” I asked, a bit confused.

“Nothing. It doesn’t get that cold. It’s cool during the day and chilly at night. The weather is actually perfect, it gets a little cold at times though.” He said, thinking about it.

I hummed in response. “I couldn’t imagine a winter without snow.” I said. He didn’t say anything. “What are the people like? I always imagined them to be mean and col. Well, based from what I’ve learned in the past. The leaders always seem mean.” I confessed.

He thought for a moment before answering. “They’re just like normal people. Maybe not as happy and go lucky as the people in the snow and sunshine Kingdom. I guess you can say the people are tougher and a little less friendly than other Kingdoms and maybe even a little wild and reckless.” He chuckled at the last part.

“But once you get to know them, they’re extremely loyal and family oriented. Once they accept you they treat you like family and will protect you no matter who you are or where you come from. That’s why I believe the fire Kingdom is the best Kingdoms.” He said. I nodded, “That sounds really nice.” I couldn’t help but let out a small smile. “It is.” He said.

A comfortable silence fell between us.

“You know, I don’t know why I’m suddenly learning all about the fire kingdom.” I said truthfully.

“They didn’t tell you why?” Daehyun asked, sounding a bit surprised. “no.” I turned around to face him. He was still lying on his back, hands tucked behind his head. “Every time I asked Ryeowook said my father will tell me. I’m supposed to meet him tomorrow after my lessons.” I said.

“What do you think it is?” he asked curiously.

“I don’t know. I was thinking that he’s going to send me to visit the fire Kingdom and then after that visit and learn about the other Kingdoms.” I said excitedly, “But I heard that our Kingdom and the fire kingdom finally made up. So, maybe he’s sending me to thank the fire King.”

“Would you want to go to the fire kingdom?” he asked, this time looking at me.

I thought about it for a little bit, “I really don’t know. I wouldn’t mind visiting, to see what it’s like.”

“Mmm~, What about living there?” He asked.

“Haha, that’s a silly question. How could I want to live there if I’ve never been there?” I laughed at the strange question. “It’s just a question…would you?” He shrugged.

“I don’t think so. This is my home. My mother is here, my brother and sister are here, and my father is here.” I said, “Though I’ve been locked here, I still have so many memories here. And I when I walk down the halls, I’m always reminded of them. And it makes me happy. I don’t think I would want to be anywhere else without my family.” I said in thought.

“Your father?” Daehyun sounded surprised.

“Yeh. Kikwang doesn’t like him. He feels like my father hates him and I, but I don’t think so. I think my father loves us and cares for us very much. Otherwise, why would he try so hard to make sure I was okay. I think he feels bad for what he did, so it’s hard for him to face us. But I know he’ll come around.” I smiled full of hope. “I know he will.”

However, Daehyun was silent. He only stared at me. “But honestly, this might sound mean but I would be too scared to live in the fire kingdom out of all the kingdoms. It seems scary.” I confessed, rubbing the back of my neck.

Daehyun sighed, sitting up on the bench. “That’s not mean to think. It’s okay to think that way.” He assured me.

My eyes slightly widened, spotting a group of guards and servants coming out of the castle, looking around.

“Youngjae. I think I should tell-,”

“Oh no. The servants and guards are out. They’re probably looking for me.” I gasped, scrambling to my feet.

“But-,”

“I’m sorry. I have to go. You can tell me tomorrow.” I smiled about to run off. But the elder jumped to his feet and grabbed my wrist, taking me by surprise. However, his grip was gentle.

“Let me go with you tomorrow, when you speak with your father.” He said.

“What?” I laughed.

“What if-What if he says something you don’t like?” he said.

I looked at him with confusion, “He’s not going to do that. If he does, I’ll be fine. I don’t think there’s anything worse than Kikwang leaving, so I’ll be okay. But I know he won’t. The worst may be that he gives me a pop quiz on what I’ve learned.” I chuckled.

“Youngjae.” Daehyun seemed strangely unhappy.

“I’ll tell you everything he says tomorrow night. That’ll be my story.” I promised.

“Youngjae, please let-,”

“Good Night Daehyun, I’m sorry but I really have to go before I get caught.” And with that I slipped from his grip and ran back to the castle. I took the secret pathway that we had went through earlier.

 

I made it back to my room with ease, without getting caught. I shrugged off my clothing and changed into a new set of pajamas before crawling into the comfort of my bed. For some reason I felt really good tonight. I don’t know why. Maybe it’s because I was out in the snow. Or maybe it was because I was learning something different. Or maybe it was because I spoke with Daehyun tonight.

I always enjoyed talking to Daehyun. He was funny and really cool, almost as cool as Kikwang! Night became my favorite time of the day. I looked forward to my time with him. He probably doesn’t know this, but he made me feel less lonely after Kikwang left.

But for the past few nights he’s been acting strange. He seemed less excited and seemed almost sad. I pouted a little at the thought, “Maybe I’ll ask him about it tomorrow.” I said, turning on my side. Maybe he’s leaving. I thought. I felt my heart sink a little. I hadn’t thought what it would be like when he leaves. “Maybe, I’ll write him.” I yawned, squeezing the soft pillow underneath me. Minutes later I fell fast asleep.

 

The next morning, I woke up early to attend my lectures. Ryeowook went on talking about the different customs and important holidays of the fire kingdom. “The fire kingdom is very traditional when it comes to their holidays. So, it’s important for the royal families to remember these holidays and the traditions performed on these days.” He went on. He had me say the holidays out loud and say what each was about and what was done on those days, giving me a verbal quiz. Then he had me list the three important cities on the kingdom and why they’re important.

“Good.” Ryeowook said, impressed with how well I did on my so-called pop-quiz. “next week is going to be a little more fun. We’ll be learning the different traditional dances they have, their food, and even watch some of their famous plays.” He grinned.

“How come you know so much about the fire Kingdom? I thought we weren’t supposed to talk much about them?” I asked curiously. He shrugged, “I used to study and read about them when I was younger. I studied all of the kingdoms and lived in each one for about a year.” He said. My eyes widened at the new information. “That’s so cool!” I said, earning a chuckled from him. “So, am I going to learn about the other kingdoms too? Like how I’m learning about the fire kingdom?”

Ryeowook paused, a bit off guard by my question, but he forced a smile, “I don’t know. That’s not up to me, but I think it’s a very good idea.” He answered. I nodded in understanding. “I hope so.” I said, wondering if I’d be able to travel also.

“I wonder where YeEun is.”’ I said, noticing that she wasn’t here. “She’ probably got in trouble by her majesty for missing her lessons.” Ryeowook joked.

“Speaking of siblings.” Ryeowook said, pulling out an off-white envelope. He placed the envelope on the mahogany desk. I raised an eyebrow. My name was written in neat cursive letters. “Who do you think would write you a letter from outside the kingdom?” Ryeowook said.

My eyes grew wide once more as I looked up at him. “Kikwang?!”

A warm smile grew on his lips and nodded. Excitement overwhelmed me as I looked back at the envelope. I had so many questions. How was he doing? Was he happy> Did he make any friends? Did he have any new stories to tell?

Ryeowook cleared his throat, pulling me out my thoughts. “I’ll end the lecture here today, so you can speak with your father.” He said. “Yeh. Thank you Ryeowook.” I bowed my head.

“My pleasure. If you want to write a letter back to him, you can give it time and I’ll have it mailed to him right away.” He said. I couldn’t hide my smile, “Thank you so much!” I bowed several times with much gratitude before leaving the room.

I couldn’t wait to read Kikwang’s letter. He’ll be home soon too! “After I speak with my father I’ll read it.” I promised myself as I carefully placed the envelope inside my kimono.

I walked up to the large double doors. Knocked, and a few seconds later the doors cautiously opened. I thanked the guards as I entered the large thrown room.

“Hello father.” I bowed at a full 90-degree angle. “Leave us alone.” My father dismissed the servants and guards out the large room.

When they were gone, my father spoke again, “You don’t have your mask on.” He pointed out curiously. I felt my face and ears, realizing that he was right, I d

Please log in to read the full chapter