Changmin

The Third Snow Prince
Please log in to read the full chapter

*Junhong’s POV*

Jongin, Sunghak, and I left first. We only took two horses. Jongin had his own and I rode with Sunghak on his. It only took us a few days to travel to my home kingdom since we only took two breaks (Sunghak’s idea).

I was upset the entire ride. I didn’t want to go home. I wanted to save my friends. I had a right just like anyone else to save them. So what that I’m a fertile prince? I’m not useless. I can defend myself. And I…I needed to see Yongguk. I wanted him to explain everything. He has to have a good reason, right? He had a hard life, so maybe he had no choice? Unless…that was all a lie.

“After we drop Junhong off we’ll head straight to their base.” Sunghak instructed when we took our final break before heading to the palace. He and Jongin were discussing the map, planning on what they were going to do. I peered over their shoulders to see what was going on. Jongin nodded in agreement. “Wouldn’t it be easier just to go to their base first before going to the palace, since it’s closer?” I inputted.

Sunghak shut the map and let out an irritated sigh. “Leave us.” He ordered to Jongin. Jongin obeyed and walked away from us.

The elder prince turned around to face me. “I’m not having this argument with you. You might’ve been able to convince Doojoon to take you with him. But you can’t with me. So, don’t even think about it.” He said and walked back to his horse. I pouted, knowing how true his words were.

He, Daehyun, and I grew up together when we were younger. Though he was much older than me, he’d always been stubborn. And he only grew up to be more stubborn.

I quickly followed after him before he could get back on his horse. “Sunghak, please you have to let me go with you guys. They’re my friends.” I insisted.

He spun around. “Listen. I’m only saying this once, so listen closely. If you go with us and something happens to you then Jiyong will kill my dad and then my dad will kill me. Literally. So, I’m not risking .” He said. “Nothing is going to happen to me. I can defend myself. I’m good at fighting. You and Daehyun taught me how to fight when I was younger. Don’t you remember? So…If you think that I can’t handle it, then you are doubting your own skill.” I tried.

Sunghak scoffed pridefully at this, “If Daehyun taught you, then I have a reason to doubt your skill.” He slightly teased, though he was serious.

“I’m good enough to defend myself. Besides, they won’t even know it’s me. We’ll have our masks and hood on.” I stated. “Besides, you’ll probably kill half of them by the time you even open the door.

He shrugged, not denying the fact, but still wasn’t changing his mind. I stomped my foot in frustration. “I’m not going to the palace. I’m going to help save my friends.” I spoke firmly. “Even if that means I have to go on my own.”

Sunghak rolled his eyes in pure irritation. He wasn’t one to negotiate and hated bothering himself with arguing. “Fine. If you come, then you have to give me something in return.” He said. I couldn’t help but smile. He never does favors for free, but that was enough for me.

I thought for a moment.

A sly smile crept on my lips. “You know those mini lemon cakes you like so much?” I began. He raised an eyebrow at this. “Well, we have leftovers from my party. They were made with the freshest lemons sent straight from the Fertility Kingdom as a gift. I’m sure I can spare the rest for you.”

He thought for a moment.

I watched him carefully. I knew it was an offer that he couldn’t resist. He loved lemon cakes. In fact, he had an unhealthy obsession with them, to the point where his parents banned him from eating them ever since he was a teen. “How many?” He questioned.

“Enough to feed a hundred people! We also have tons of lemons left over too, I’ll have 100 more cakes made for you.”

He slowly nodded in deep consideration. “Fine, but what will you give me if you get caught and we have to save you too?” He questioned.

I bit my bottom lip, thinking hard about it. “Then, I’ll supply you with as many lemon cakes as you want throughout the entire year next year.” I offered.

A small smile crept on his lips. “You almost make me want you to get caught.” He said.

“So?” I urged.

“You have a deal.” He gave in.

“Yes!” I jumped. “Thank you so much!” I thanked him. “You have to watch your back.” He said, getting serious again. “You have to be alert.” He stressed. I nodded firmly. “Good. Let’s go. We’re wasting time.” He climbed onto the horse. I followed him and did the same. We rode to Jongin and Sunghak explained to him our slight change in plans. The guard was surprised but went along with it despite is open concerns.

 

We changed directions and headed straight to the outcast’s base at the edge of the kingdom. I was both excited and nervous. I wasn’t afraid of the outcasts. I was afraid of finding the truth about Yongguk. I wanted to believe that he had no choice, that maybe his life was in danger, or maybe he was trying to protect his family. I wanted to believe that the outcasts were threatening him. But the possibility that this was his decision still remained.

I forced the latter thought out my mind. There’s no way he’d choose to be with the outcasts. He’s too good of a person to do that. A sigh escaped my lips, “I hope Kikwang and Youngjae are there.”

 

We didn’t stop until a hours later when we reached a large expanse of land. There was only a large wooden building in the middle of the expanse.

The three of us climbed off the horses and tied them securely to the nearest set of trees. We slipped on our masks and hoods before creeping towards the door. Sunghak and Jongin unsheathed their swords. I kept my hand on the handle of my own, not ready to pull it out yet.

Jongin stepped up the door first and knocked a specific rhythm on the wood structure. It was strange how he knew all of this, but no one dared to question him, since he was helping us. Plus, he was outnumbered if he did try to do something. I wondered if he knew everything because Yongguk told him, so he could help us get Kikwang and Youngjae back. That’s at least what I hoped.

A minute later the sound of locks unlocking could be heard. Sunghak stepped in front of Jongin. As soon as the door cracked open, Sunghak shoved the door wide open and immediately cut down the first man. Jongin and I quickly followed him inside.

Everyone turned to see what the commotion was about. My eyes slightly widened at the amount of people in the room. “Yah! Who the are you?!” One of the men stepped up. All the men glared at us, clearly ready for a fight. “We’re here for the fertile princes.” Sunghak spoke through his mask. “And what makes you think we’ll hand them over.” The man scoffed.

Sunghak whipped a line of fire against the wall, setting the wooden building on fire. “You don’t have much time to play games, now do you?” Sunghak challenged. The man growled and pulled out his sword. He and Sunghak ran to each other and clashed. Jongin jumped into the crowd to help him.

I stole the opportunity to search for Youngjae and Kikwang, and quickly slipped out of sight.

 

I carefully crept around the building, avoiding the crowd and looked for any clue. I found an opening and snuck my way through it, entering the next hall. I walked quietly through the hall, not wanting to draw any attention to myself. Thankfully it was empty.

As I snuck through the hallway, I spotted a set of stairs that went downward. I raised an eyebrow.

I walked closer to the stairs. It looked like it led down to a basement. However, when I tried to step down, I heard footsteps rumble from down the hall. But before I could do anything, I felt a strong hand cover my mouth and another arm wrap around me, trapping my arms. I struggled in the hold and tried to shout but it was no use.

I was dragged down the stairs into the darkness below.

 

I panicked. What’s going to happen to me? I haven’t found Youngjae or Kikwang yet. I didn’t stop fighting and continued to frantically move my body. Thankfully, I was able to kick the kidnapper in the knee and bit his hand.

The culprit released me. “Ah! Zelo.” He groaned.

My eyes widened.

I spun around.

“Yongguk!” I couldn’t control myself. I jumped on him, giving him a tight hug. His body stiffened, not expecting the sudden action. “Yongguk, I missed you. I was so worried about you.” I pulled away. “What are you doing here? Why did you grab me like that?”

“You almost got caught by the others. I was trying to get you away before they saw you. I’m sorry if I scared or hurt you.” He apologized. A smile grew on my lips. “I knew you weren’t a bad person. I knew you wouldn’t join the outcasts on your free will.” I was overwhelmed with relief. However, he didn’t look so happy.

“What’s the matter?”

He let out a sigh. “Zelo, I’m not a good person.” He said.

I frowned at this, “Don’t say that.”

“But it’s true. The truth is that my father left us to join the outcasts when I was young. And when I left my siblings, I left to join my dad. I chose to join the dark guilds and I chose to stay.” He said.

I stood there not understanding, “Wh-What do you m-mean?” I cursed myself for stuttering. “I’m sorry Junhong. The only reason why I came to the Sunshine Kingdom was to kidnap you.” He began.

“Wh-What?”

“I was given a mission to kidnap you on your 20th birthday and bring you back here. That was the plan from the beginning.” He continued. My bottom lip quivered. I slowly shook my head. “N-No…no…” I felt sick to my stomach. “Y-You were my friend. I thought we…was that why you were mean? But didn’t you change? Yongguk…I…” Tears filled th

Please log in to read the full chapter