Chapter 21

A Hundred Days Love

C h a p t e r   2 1


A  e    S  o  o

I finish dressing myself up for my Uncle’s burial when Luhan came in to check up on me. I stand up as he walk towards me. 

“All set?” I nod. “Okay. Well, here.” He hands me a glass of water and a pill. “Yixing told me to give it to you. It will help you calm down.” I take the pill and drink it. Apparently, Yixing is like a doctor here. Well I guess he’s still trying to become one. I look back at Luhan and he’s eyeing me. “You’re not a bit bothered by anything I gave you are you?” I look at him confused. Should I be? He’s asked to take care of me though. “And,” I tense up in surprise when he cups my cheek with his hand. “I can’t read you. No matter how many times I tried, I just can’t read your mind.”

“Don’t be freaked out by him. He’s just a mind reader maniac that’s all.” We both turn towards the door seeing Yifan watch us. “Mind you Luhan, you can’t just touch the Princess freely. We’re her attendants.”

Princess? “You’re talking like I have some hidden motive. I’m just frustrated I can’t read her mind. When I can read yours and you’re telling me how stupid I am.”

“Um..” they both turn towards me. “Why am I being called a Princess?”

“The Dragon clan goes by monarchy compared to other clans.”

“Oh...” I actually feel uneasy whenever they call me that. 

“Do you not want to be called like that?” Yifan and I both turned to Luhan. 

“Luhan.”

“I can’t read her thoughts but I can actually read her face and it’s easy because she’s so transparent.” She turns back to me. “I can call you by your name only if we’re alone but I’ll call you Princess in public. I’ll be punished otherwise.” I smile and nod. “See? She likes it that way and I like it better when she’s smiling.” He grins and pats me lightly on the head. Yifan sighs and he seemed to give up on Luhan seeing how he’s shaking his head. 

“There’s no telling you anymore once you’ve set your mind to it huh? Fine, do as you like. And hurry up, the ceremony will happen any minute now.”

We head out to where everyone is. My body stiffens at the sight of my Uncle’s body placed at the center. “W..Why is he there?”

“We’re cremating him. That’s how the deceased are treated here. Afterwards, we’re going to scatter his remains at the lake that is owned by the clan.” I turn to Luhan. They’re going to burn his body? “Princess?” No. They’re going to burn Uncle? “Princess.”

I started to shake and look at Luhan. “No. Please don’t burn him. That will just hurt my Uncle’s body! Please don’t... I beg you-“

“Alright. Just calm down Princess. I’ll tell them that.” Luhan hurried over to the man in charge and told him that I refuse to let Uncle get cremated. I was actually shaking because I’m scared Dad might hate me more than he already does for breaking his clan’s tradition but instead, he glanced at me and then talked to the others. After a while, Luhan returns to my side. “It’s okay. We’re going to bury him after they’ve prepared a coffin.”

I give him a sigh of relief. After two more hours, Uncle was buried but I stayed with him after. I just can’t leave him alone like that. I still don’t know what to do. Ae Ryu killed him but why do I feel like he doesn’t really want to? When it rained, Luhan escorted me back to my room and stayed with me until I fell asleep then I dreamt of it. I dreamt of my beloved Uncle Kang Joon.


L u h a n

She looks so peaceful as she sleeps. She does not look like she’s worrying about something anymore. It’s nice. I guess she got a little peace of mind when she saw her Uncle’s burial. Just when I thought she’s fine, I think she’s having a nightmare right now.

“Ae Soo, hey. Wake up.” I shake her until she open her eyes. When she sees me, she gasps and holds on for support. She looks terrified. “It’s okay. You’re alright.”

When I hold her close to me, she was shaking terribly. “I saw it again... he was stabbed and I.. I just stood there-“

“It’s not your fault. You’re good. Stop worrying about it okay?” After a while, she calmed down then the door opens. 

“Is something wrong Hyung?” Tao wants to say something else but stopped when he saw Ae Soo holding on me. 

“A nightmare. What’s up?”

“Oh, the King wants to talk but if the Princess is sick I’ll just tell him.” I was about to agree with him when Ae Soo sits up. 

“I’m okay. I wanted to see Dad too.”

“You sure?” She nods. 

When we reach the King’s room, we knocked and entered. Ae Soo’s eyes dropped on his the King’s arm who’s injured and worry is painted all over her face. 

“How are you?” She’s too occupied with his injury that she doesn’t seem to hear what he said. 

“Princess.”

“Huh?”

“The King asked if you’re doing fine.”

“He what?” I can tell that she’s surprised by the King’s sudden concern considering what I heard that they are not close. “Oh um.. I’m...fine-“ 

The King sighed and raised his arm a bit. “Stop worrying. It’s not even broken.”

“But-“

“Do you know why I called you here?” She shakes her head no. “I’ll cut through the chase. Your Mother’s clan is in danger. Jonghyun thinks that we’re both dead and I would like for him to think that way for a little while. You know what that means do you?” I wait for Ae Soo’s reaction but she just remained silent. “I know how much you wanted to go back. But we can’t. We’re going to stay hidden for a while and I don’t know until when. For that time, no one can know that we’re here. Even him.”

“Can we just let them know that we’re okay-“

“No. Do I make myself clear Ae Soo? You are not allowed to leave this place because someone might catch your scent. This place is protected by a strong barrier which is why you’re safe here. Jonghyun invaded our clan and we have to get it back. We need everybody to be safe. Until we figure out what he needs, we need to stay hidden.”

“I understand.” She looks down and I think she’s trying her best to stay strong for their clan. She’s a heir after all. The King shifted his look at me.

“Now Luhan, since they knew that I’m dead, I have to ask you a big favor. I need you to act as the head of this clan for the time being. That means, you’re going to be my puppet, an acting King.”

“M..Me? But how can a mere demon like me-“

He smiles. “I know you can do it. I chose you in the midst of all the powerful dragons in our clan. I watched you grow so you can do it. I need you to protect my daughter.”

I hear Ae Soo gasp. “D..ad?”

He turns to Ae Soo and sighs. “That’s your Uncle’s last wish that for me to take care of you. He left me a letter. It seems like he expected for this to happen to him. Something might’ve happened before he was killed and I’m going to find that out to be able to avenge his death.”

“He did?”

“Yes, that’s why I need you to be accustomed with your powers Ae Soo. I already asked Yifan and the others to help you. Not until you’re strong enough to defend yourself will you be allowed to go out this premises.” 

She obediently nodded again but this time, she’s crying. I don’t know why but I hate it when she cries. I just do. Her not being allowed to go out is just like being imprisoned and I think that’s too much for her to handle. Her Uncle already died and now she’s going to be locked up. Well, not that I have any choice. I was asked to look after her and to be a temporary head of the clan just until this chaos ends. Yeah, that’s so easy.

Ugh.

Who am I even kidding?

I watch Ae Soo bid her father goodbye as she bows then I look back at the king. “Not to disrespect your highness but, isn’t that too much? Can’t we just let one person know?”

He sighs entwining both of his fingers and rested his chin on both of his hands. “I get your point. But her seeing that guy right now won’t do any help. I know you feel it too, the strong aura that’s inside her. The moment it lashes out and she can’t control it, she’ll definitely go berserk. We have to take it one step at a time. When we figure out a way on how to teach Ae Soo to control her powers then maybe it will be alright. And for her to do that,”

I clench my hand to a fist. “She has to overcome her hatred.” He nods and looked straight to my eyes. “I need you to help her realize the hatred that she’s hiding inside.”



A  e    S  o  o

Sitting on my bed, I try to hug my knees and process what needs to be process right now. Something must’ve happened why Uncle died. And why.. he killed my Uncle. Just by mentioning his name makes me feel so numb. I kept on getting nightmares of that night so I decided to go for a walk to clear my head off. I hear swords clinging and clanging on my right so I followed the sound. I ended up seeing Luhan and Yifan sparing with each other.

“What’s with you today? You’re getting slower and slower.” Yifan charges towards Luhan but he managed to block it and dodged. They’re both good.

“Stop babbling and start attacking!” Luhan charges at Yifan but it seems like his attacks are useless. 

“Right back at you.” Yifan swings his sword with much force which causes for Luhan’s to be thrown far away from him. “See? What’s in your head?”

“It’s nothing.”

“You’re seeing yourself in the Princess aren’t you?” With me? Luhan is? “Stand up and look at me.”

“It doesn’t matter.”

“I know what you’re thinking-“

“! CAN’T YOU JUST STOP?! I DON’T WANT TO REMEMBER SO ING STOP!” 

Yifan let’s out a laugh and placed back his sword to his sheathe. “You read people’s minds but I think yours needs a good look by another.”

Yifan stops when he sees me and bows but he just walks ahead. I turn back to Luhan and he threw his sword on the ground and lay down. “Damn it.” I walk towards him and sat just above him. When he opens his eyes, he gasps seeing me. “Ae Soo?!”

“Hi.” I reply. 

“How long have you been here?”

“Since you both fought.” He chuckles and sits up. 

“It’s not a fight. It’s just how he slaps reality to me.” He grabs his sword and placed it back to his sheathe then stands. “I’ll walk you back to your room-“

“It’s okay. I don’t want to sleep again so I’ll just stay awake.”

“Nightmare?” I nod and stare at my hands. Even though it’s just a dream, I can still see my Uncle’s blood on my hand, and all over my body. Even my hair is stained with it. It’s like I’m bathing with his blood. 

“I want to forget.. but if I do, that means I’ll forget about the last time I saw my Uncle and I don’t..want that.” My voice is shaking but I think I forgot how to cry anymore.

“It’s alright if you don’t want to forget. Sometimes, that pain will make you keep on going.” 

I stare at him as he watches the moonlight. I want to ask what he’s thinking right now and why does he see himself at me but I think he doesn’t want to talk about it. Because some people just don’t want to share their pain just when the height is so high.

“Luhan, can you teach me how to use a sword?”