Chapter 2

A Hundred Days Love

C h a p t e r   2


A  e     S  o  o 

As people try to make way for my dad, I just stood here surprised not knowing how to react. Dad just figured out that I didn’t go to the university today and followed my scent all the way here. He came just for me. Is he worried? With that thought in my head. I feel glad just a little bit.

"Hyung!" I see Uncle Kang Joon arrive and looks at Dad. 

"Dad, did you came for m-" the next moment I felt something hit me hard on my cheek that it made me fall on the ground. I freeze for a while and process what happened just now. Dad just hit me. "D..Dad-"

"Ae Soo!" Uncle hurried over to my side and checked if I am hurt.

"Do you really wish to die that much? You knew about your situation. You know that a wolf is destined to kill you yet you walked straight right into their den. I didn't know that you're that much of an airhead."

"D..Dad, I just-"

"Stop!" I flinch at his sudden raise of voice. I don't hear his voice that often yet here he is yelling at me right now in fury. "Just- STOP CALLING ME THAT! I DON'T HAVE A DAUGHTER! YOU! YOU KILLED AE RA! YOU MURDERER!" He releases a laugh as he glared down at me. "Yeah, this is better. You are destined to die from the start anyway. Just stay here and watch your death take place-"

We all freeze a an arrow fell just inches away from Dad. He look at where the arrow came from and I did the same. From the other end, there's Sehun. "Oh, sorry. My shoulders felt stiff all of a sudden so I just stretched it a bit."

"Sehun!" Ahjussi exclaimed. I turn to Dad again afraid of what he may do because his temper is short but instead, he turned away from me and walked to the entrance. 

"Ae Soo, are you okay-"

"Leave her be Kang Joon." Dad spoke. "Anyone who brings her back home will die. And I will make sure to kill whoever that is that disobey me, including her."

I felt like I've been already stabbed right in the heart. My father just want me dead and he is willing to kill me. Appalled, I just watch him leave as I stare at his silhouette disappear. I hear whispers around me started to get loud as they talk about what happened. I know Dad hates me but I didn't know that he hates me to the point that he wanted me to die so much.

"Uncle, you should go back before he gets mad at you too." I force a smile because I know if I don't, Uncle would just worry for me. "I'll be fine. I will be able to live by my own since I'm not a minor anymore so-" he smiles and pat my head.

"You're really stubborn just like your mother. I'm not loyal to your Dad okay? I am loyal to my sister and I have a promise to keep. That is to keep you safe and watch you properly. So do you think I'll leave your side right now?"

"You both can stay here." 

"Boss!" We hear sudden disagreement among the members of the wolf clan. After all, we are outsiders. 

"Silence!" They all flinch in fear at ahjussi's voice. "I know that the fox clan and the wolf clan had been on cold relationship for a number of years but that is because they asked to cut ties and I your leader, despite not knowing the reason, just agreed because of trust. The man that left right now is the standing leader of the fox clan and a close friend of mine which is why I trust his decisions. But," he turns to Uncle and releases a smile. "I know that you know the reason why he did that and I would like to know in exchange of letting you both stay here as much as you like."

Uncle Kang Joon nods and returns the smile. "Anything for my precious niece."

"Hyunjin, would you help Ae Soo get to her room? I think she needs some rest."

"Sure." Ahjumma takes me by my hand and smiles warmly. "Let's get you a warm bath first. I'm sure that'll make you feel better." I just went to with the flow because I'm so clueless on what to do right now when my head is so blank. I step in the tub with the water filled with roses and inhaled the scent. "It's nice isn't it? I always take a rose bath when I am feeling stressed."

"Thank you ahjumma."

She smiles helping me wash myself. "Don't mind it okay? And about your Dad? I know you might feel a lot right now but just know that he cares for you despite of those words. You might find it hard to believe what I am saying right now but, why would he go to the troubles of going in here on his feet when he doesn't care about you right?" She caresses my hair as she puts shampoo on it. I wonder if this is how a mother's touch feels like. It feels so warm. "So just cry it all out Ae Soo. We'll be here for you okay?"

I just nod but tears don't come out. After my bath, ahjumma gave me a change of clothes and headed to a room. "Is my uncle going to be-"

She nods even though I still haven't finished what I'm saying. "Don't worry, Yeonseok isn't that bad of a guy alright? He'll just hear Kang Joon out." After she dries my hair, she puts me to bed. "Now, get some rest okay? I'll wake you up when dinner's ready."

I nod and watch her leave the room. Ahjumma right now, she's so kind and she makes it feel like she's really a mother, which she truly is. I wonder, if I've seen my Mom and we were together now, will she treat me the same way? I wonder if Mom didn't die back then because of me, will Dad love me and not hate me?

₰ ₰ ₰ ₰ ₰ ₰ 

It was midnight when I woke up and I think they chose not to wake me at dinner because I was resting well. I sit up heading out when I see that the rain is pouring hard. I sit on the floor as I watch the ground get wetter and wetter. Then it came to me, souls of the dead go to heaven. I look up thinking if Mom can see me right now.

"Mom? Are you there?" I say as I stare at the black sky with no sign of the moon. "You are aren't you? You saw what happened earlier?" I feel something on my eyes, tears. I chuckle remembering the last time that I cried. I've been so used to Dad hating me that it became a normal thing already. But now is different. I didn't know he hates me so much that he wanted me to die, and to top it all, he never even considered me as a daughter. Even once. "I'm sorry Mom... I really am.. It's my fault. I never should've been born.. I'm so sorry.." I say in repeat as I try to satisfy myself and cry to my heart's content but no. I don't think my heart will be satisfied. 

I stand up and about to return my room before someone else sees me when I saw a silhouette from my right. Sehun. He started walking close to me and throws something on my head. A towel. "There's no sweat. I haven't used that yet." 

"Huh?" I hold the towel and look at him confusion then my eyes dropped on the bow that he's holding. Oh, archery. He takes the towel and wipes my tears. "T..Thank you. But that bow is quite nice even though it's old."

He looks at the bow then to me. "You," he takes my hand and stares. "You did archery. But a long time ago."

I pull my hand back looking down. "They don't allow women to hold weapons at home so I sneaked back then.. The teacher who taught me secretly died already so I stopped.."

"Want to try?" I look at him hanging my head on the side in confusion. He asked me to follow him and we ended in an archery grounds. This takes me back. Whenever I get a lot in my head I always take the bow and let all my feelings go with the arrow as I let it go and then I'll feel better again. I take an arrow from the rack and stare at it in awe. There's an engraving in it and they pay so much details in every arrow. This is amazing. The arrow back at home is just plain but the tip is sharp though. "Hey."

"Huh?" I turn and Sehun tosses a bow to me. "W..Why?"

"Give it a shot." 

"Alright." I walk in line with the target and pulled the string as I make my target. When I did, I let go of the string but sadly, it didn't hit the bull's eye. "Oh."

"Not bad. When was the last time you held one?" 

"When I was fifteen I guess?" 

"Five years huh?" He takes a swing and his arrow hit the bull's eye. He's good. 

"Oh right! You were the one who shot that arrow, in front of Dad!" He looks at me in confusion as he closes the space between us. He leans close but I leaned back. "W..What?"

"You still call him that even though he told you not to. He also said that he doesn't like you. Yet you still call him with so much respect."

"I don't hate him okay? I just.. I feel so hurt after all of that. I thought I'm used to it but I guess I'm not." Why am I talking to him about this? Considering that he's the person who almost strangled me to death earlier. 

"You're one weird person. I've never met someone like you." He turns his back from me aiming for another target but I don't feel taking another shot. I'm drained for the day. I put the bow down on its proper place and was about to go when I heard Sehun's voice. "If you don't hate him then show him."

"Hm?" He continued to talk with his eyes still directed on the target.

"Live well. Show him that you'll live better. Maybe he'll regret it and realize that you're one of his blood. The blood of the woman that he once treasured."

I smile at his words. I don't know why but what he said just know comforted me and it made me feel good. Maybe I'll try that. I'll live well and meet Dad again one of these days. Then I will tell him that I was happy that he came for me today.

₰ ₰ ₰ ₰ ₰ ₰ 

After breakfast I decided to take a stroll around the compound since I haven't seen my uncle. The wolf's den was unexpectedly big and I think I am now lost. "I think I've been here earlier.. or is it the same tree? Oh no.. Will I be able to get at the dining hall in time for lunch?!"

"Ms. Ae Soo?" I turn hearing someone call for my name. He's tall but he's not familiar.. 

"Oh hello-" I noticed that Sehun is with him. "Hi." I greeted and bow then he did the same.

"Oh right! Haha! I haven't introduced myself yet! I am Park Chanyeol a friend of Sehun's. I heard your name from the leader so.."

"Oh I see, nice to meet you Chanyeol! But please drop the formalities okay? Ae Soo's just fine." I smile and shake his hand. 

"If you say so then I'll do that. But, what are you doing here? Are you going to the archives?"

"Archives? Oh no! I just lost my way back to the dining hall since I was taking a stroll."

"I see. Then why don't you go with us then? Madam asked for us since we're going to go shopping for lunch."

"Thank you! I'll take on your offer then!" I walk with Sehun and Chanyeol to the kitchen to meet ahjumma but Sehun was quiet all the way. Is he not the type to talk much?

"Oh! Ae Soo! I was looking for you!" Ahjumma said.

"I'm sorry, I lost my way here since the compound is so big." I release a laugh. 

"It's alright! I'm glad things turned out this way because I was about to ask you to go with them since I am worried you might be bored. Is that okay?"

"Yes! It's alright." Ahjumma smiles and gives us the list of things to buy for lunch. I was surprised at how the list goes. "That's a lot." I say peeking at the list that Chanyeol is holding.

He chuckles giving me a nod. "Well, it is to feed the people here after all. Most of us are men living in the main house so food is a must!"

"He's right." Ahjumma laughs. "Well, be careful you three okay?"

"Yes!" We replied and headed to the bus stop. Chanyeol and I read the list for our reference.

"Oh? Sehun, it looks like our food will going to have ginger for today." Sehun, who's walking ahead of us stopped and turns to us grabbing the list. His face looks horrified right now. 

"Every thing has ginger on it though." I say. He sighs giving the list back to me. "Are you okay?"

"Minority has no voice against the majority." He replied and sat on the bench as we wait for the bus. 

"Does he hate ginger that much?" Chanyeol laughs nodding.

"Yeah, he despises the taste. It's too bad, the training will be hard in the afternoon though. I guess he won't eat much for lunch today." On our way to the market, it's like the world has ended for Sehun because he's sighing too much and I know it's because of the ginger. "What's next on the list Ae Soo?"

"Oh right," I scan the list and find the last thing that we'll need. "Last one's are broccoli and...ginger." I can say that Sehun really hates it seeing how he cringe at the sound of it. We walk towards a stall that sells broccoli and ginger.

"Oh! It's Sehun and Chanyeol today huh? Yesterday it's Baekhyun and Jongin." The old man say. 

"Ah yes, our schedule shifted for this month gramps." Chanyeol replied. Seeing how the old man know them, they must go here a lot huh? 

"I see. And who's this pretty lady here? Your girlfriend? Sehun's?" 

"Ah no! You're mistaken grandpa! I was just a friend of theirs and just moved in."

"Oh, so you live in the main house now?"

"Yes." The old man smiles.

"Then, I shall give you a discount for whatever it is that you're buying today."

"Really gramps?! Then give us the best broccolis and ginger that you have!"

I hear a sigh. I don't even need to turn to know that it was Sehun because he's been sighing a lot on our way. When we arrive back at home, we headed to the kitchen to put the things that we bought down so ahjumma can start on cooking. Sehun and Chanyeol excused themselves so they can help in setting the dinner tables. 

“Um, ahjumma?”

“Yes Ae Soo?” 

“I was wondering, since Sehun hates ginger, would it be okay if we grate it instead? That way, he won’t be bothered by it and the taste will just blend with the other ingredients don’t you think?”

“Oh my,” she smiles nodding at my opinion. “Did you heard from them that Sehun hates it?”

“Yes.”

She chuckles and hands me the ginger together with the grater. “That’s very considerate of you dear! It was always hard for me to make him eat the dishes that I cook with ginger in it. Let’s hope that he’ll eat it okay?”

“Yes!” I smile and started grating the ginger. 

When we started cooking, Ahjumma placed the ginger on the dishes and it’s almost invisible. I smile seeing as the dishes get cooked one by one. “Ae Soo, will you taste this please?”

“Alright!” I leave the broccoli that I was chopping and headed to ahjumma to taste the food. She holds the spoon for me while I eat it. “Mm! It’s delicious! And the ginger’s taste not that much even if it’s grated!”

“You’re right. And it’s even more tastier this way right?”

“Yes!” I smile in excitement. I hope Sehun will eat this. They will train a lot later and it won’t be good for him if he eats less.

When lunch is served, I stare at Sehun as he starts to dig in. I can tell that he’s looking for the ginger but when he didn’t see it, he sighs in relief and started eating. “Oh-“ I feel a nudge beside me. I turn seeing ahjumma grin and whispered ‘let him finish his food.’ I chuckle nodding and we continue to watch Sehun. He ate three servings and I sigh in relief. He ate the dishes!

“Oh? You finished your food?” Chanyeol peeks at Sehun’s.

“Yeah. Why?”

“Our food had ginger in it.”

“What?” Sehun looks dumbfounded with his eyes wide open then slowly his eyes fall on his mom. “It does?”

“Yes dear. It’s Ae Soo’s idea to grate it so it wouldn’t be too much. It’s great right?” Sehun’s eyes then fall to me. Oh no, is he mad?

“I..I’m sorry! I just thought-“ 

“Thanks. I think I can eat it when it's like this.” 

I blink in surprise with what I just hear. Did he just thanked me? “Oh.. you’re welcome.” 

“Well then, since Sehun’s grateful for today’s lunch, let us play rock-paper-scissors to know who’ll do the dishes! One will suffice!” Baekhyun one of Sehun’s friend said.

“That’s a little too much don’t you think? Only one for all these dishes? That’s like battling against one clan hyung! And besides! Don't we have today's assignment for the chores?” Jongin added. 

“It’s fine! Just consider it as training! Haha!” Baekhyun replied.

“Stupid reason.” Kyungsoo mumbled. 

“Rock-paper-scissors!” They all yelled in unison then all cheered except for one person. Sehun. He’s holding his palm open as he stare at it. He sighs standing at his seat. 

“Alright, Sehun’s up on it then!” They all cheered. Isn’t it too much though? I stand going after Sehun.

“U..Um, Sehun!” I call his name and he stops. He turns to face me and he’s still holding his palm up. “I’ll help you. With the dishes I mean.”

He stares at me for a while. “But why? You didn’t play.”

“Well yeah. But I don’t have anything to do so it’s okay.”

“Alright.” He starts walking. I smile and follow him behind. We end up at the kitchen and froze when we see the mountain of dishes. 

“And they wanted you to do this alone.” He nods. “I’ll do the washing and you can rinse it. Is that okay?”

“Alright.” I put soap on the sponge and started washing. I can feel Sehun stare at the dishes as I wash though and it makes me conscious. “Your hair.”

“Hm?” I turn to him and he points at my hair. 

“It’s getting in your way. Is that okay?” Oh, so he isn’t staring at the dishes but at..me?

“Oh, it’s fine. I have my elastic at my room and it’s a hassle to go back.” I resume washing the dishes when I feel something brush my cheek. Before I knew it, Sehun’s putting my hair up. “Sehun..”

“I’ll tie it with this for the meantime.” 

“M..Mm.” I mumble but he’s too close and I can feel his breath at the back of my neck as he tie his handkerchief on my hair. 

“Is it too tight?”

“Not really.”

“Then I’ll tie it like this.”

“Alright.” When he finishes, he goes back to his position and started rinsing the dishes that I washed but I’m still left surprised with his action. He's surprisingly a nice person after all huh?

After washing the dishes, Sehun told me that he’s going to walk me back to my room just in case I get lost again as thanks for helping him so I took the offer. “Well, thank you for walking me back! You should go now or you’ll be late for your training.”

“Okay.” 

I walk inside my room when I remember his handkerchief. “Oh right! He might need this!” I hurry out to chase after Sehun. “Why is he so fast?!” I turn to the corner and saw Sehun. “Oh! Wait! Sehun!”

He stops hearing his name and turns. “You.”

“Your handkerchief!!” I yell and run to him from the stairs but I lose my balance. “Oh!”

“Hey!” I shut my eyes close waiting for an impact when I suddenly feel like I’m floating. When I open my eyes I see Sehun holding me up with his hands on my waist and my hands resting on both of his shoulders. “I really haven’t met anyone like you who just wait for the fall.”

“Oh um.. well I lose my balance and there’s nothing I can do so...”

“Why did you even run?”

“Oh right! But um, can you put me down first?” He nods and puts me down slowly. I take the handkerchief off my hair and folded it nicely. “Here you go.”

When I look at him he’s staring at both of his hands. “Small..”

“Huh?”

“Nothing.”

“Oh, well here you go. I figured you might need it for practice.”

“You ran just for this?” I nod. “Well don’t do that again. It’s just a handkerchief and you almost fell.”

I chuckle. “I’m just clumsy. Sorry! Then I’ll go back now!”

He nods. “I never thought a girl’s body would be that small and fragile.” I hear something but I think I just misheard him?