Chapter 1

A Hundred Days Love

C h a p t e r   1


A  e     S  o  o 

I wake up to the sound of footsteps going back in forth. I sit up realizing what day it is today. It's my birthday and I hate it. I've never once liked my birthday. My father hates it too. Because it's the day my Mom died and it's because of me that she died. There's a knock on the door and I replied for them to come in.

"Ahgassi, it's time for you to get ready for the day. Everyone is already waiting for you. Also, we have made arrangements for the car that will take you to the university today-"

"I don't need it. I'll go by bus. You can go now. I'll dress up myself."

"But ahgassi-"

"Do as she says." I turn to the door hearing my uncle's voice.

"Master Kang Joon!" He smiles gesturing for the maid to go. Uncle approaches me and gives me a hug.

"Happiest birthday to my favorite niece. Here's a little something from me." He hands me a little box but I don't want to take it. I've never took gifts that was given to me ever since I was little. He frowns taking my hand and placing the box on it. "Come now, I went to troubles getting you that! Now open it." He looks at me with much anticipation so I guess I have no choice. I see a necklace inside it. He smiles taking the necklace. "It's pretty right? I remembered your Mom asked me to give you this on your twentieth birthday so here. I guess it's not particularly my gift!" He chuckles and put it on me.

"M..Mom asked for this?" He nods. I hold on to the necklace with a crystal pendant in it.

"Pretty right?" I smile giving him a nod. "Now get up and dress yourself. Everybody from the main house will be here later this evening to greet you."

I hesitate to ask him a question but I still want to know. "I..Is- Is Dad going too?"

"Oh, um..." He chuckles scratching the back of his neck. "About that Ae Soo-"

"So he still doesn't want to see me huh?" I sigh walking to my closet.

"I'm sorry Ae Soo, I really tried to-" I smile turning to him and shake my head.

"It's not your fault Uncle. I'm just glad that you're here." He smiles nodding and walks out of the door after greeting me.

When he left, I took the slip of paper that I hid last night when I heard the maids talking. It's the map that I made last night. I heard that Mom and Dad's closest friend was a member of the wolf clan but ever since that a prophecy was made when I was about to be born, that our clan, which was the fox clan, cut ties with them. My mom was the last Gumiho and she died giving birth to me. She also gave her fox bead to me which is the source of life for her which is why she died. An old and trusted shaman told them that a wolf will either end or save my life which is why the elders in our clan were alarmed. They can't afford to lose the only heir after all.

I grab my bag and headed out. I wanted to meet Mom's friend today or else I won't have any other chance. My class is moved for another day and I didn’t tell anyone about it so they are all thinking I’ll be going to school when I go out. They never let me leave the house alone after all. I left the house in a hurry so no one will notice and headed to the train station. I ride the train line going to Mokpo and it turned out that it's going to be a while. I hear my phone buzz and it's a message from my Uncle.

Ae Soo, you didn't eat your breakfast! I made an effort doing it though >.<

I chuckle at Uncle's emoji. I'm sorry but I have to see Mom's friend right now Uncle.. My Dad won't meet me after all. I have to get back before evening or he'll get mad. After a while, I arrived at my destination and got off the station. I take my map on my bag and searched for a way. I rode a bus on the way and got off my stop and continued walking until I find myself in front if a long staircase.

"Is..this it? It looks like it has more than a hundred steps though.." I sigh at the thought but I have to meet that person! So gathering my strength, I take the first few steps. Yes! So far so good! I started counting as I walk up curious as to how much steps this stairs have. Surprisingly, I am at the hundred and eight step. I still have some energy to release. You can do this Ae Soo! I can see the top already! When I reach the top, I felt my knees wobble out of exhaustion and fell on the ground.

"W..Whoa... Two hundred five...steps.. That.. was intense!" I managed to sit under the tree for some shade. I'm so thirsty right now and I don't have any water with me! I feel like dying..

"Who are you?" I open my eyes seeing a tall guy look down at me. The sun ray was shining on him so I covered my eyes with my hand.

"Oh! Good timing!" I sit up but knees are still weak from the climb. "I am looking for a person named Yoo Yeonseok. Is he perhaps inside that mansion over there?"

The guy lowers himself and leaned closer until I felt his hand on my neck. I started to choke when I grab his hand. "You, you're not a wolf. How did you enter this den?"

"Ugh... Let..go.." I struggle away from his hand but his grip is getting tight.

"Answer me."

"Sehun, let go of her." The guy turns at another voice and releases me. I gasp for breath after choking and hold on to the tree for some support. A man walks close to me and smiles.

"Are you alright young lady? Forgive my son."

"I'm alright.. Thank you."

"Dad, you cannot just talk to that girl. I can smell that she's not from here. She may be from the fox cla-"

"Enough. Can you get up?" The man offers me a hand and I take it. "You must be exhausted from climbing those stairs."

"Ah yes, a bit.." I force a smile but I still can feel that person from earlier glare pierce through me.

"It's almost lunch time. Care to join us Young lady?"

"Oh no! It would be intruding! I couldn't possibly do that."

The man smiles. "It's alright. Please consider it as an apology from my son's action."

"Dad!" The guy looks at me with much anger in his eyes and it scares the hell out of me. I just climbed the stairs up here…

"Um.. Well if you insist.."

"That's good then. Let's go. You too Sehun." I nod following the man. "Oh right! I haven't asked for your name yet."

"Oh, um.. I'm Ae Soo. Yang Ae Soo." The man stops from walking. I flinch in surprise because I almost bumped to him. He turns and nods.

"I see. So you are her daughter. That's why you have her scent."

"Do you possibly know my Mom?!"

He smiles nodding. "Yes, she was a close friend of mine back then. I'm Yoo Yeonseok by the way."

I gasp. What great luck do I have?! I clap my hands together in glee. "Ahjussi! I came here for you!"

He chuckles. "You did? Then I'm honored. To what reason do I owe your visit?"

"Actually I came to ask about my Mom.”

He smiles but this time his smile is so bitter. “Let’s talk while we eat.” We arrive at a hall and the moment I am inside, people started to stare at me. “Don’t mind them okay? It’s just that your face is new and the fact that you have a scent of a fox adds up.” He laughs and I know he meant that as a joke but the fact that their stare feels like I am going to bore a hole around my body any second makes me shiver. Let me add up the glare that I am getting from the person behind me who almost choked me to death earlier. I look at him and he sits across me. He definitely has a grudge against me does he?

“Boss, why does she have Ae Ra’s scent?” A man approached Yoonseok ahjussi. “And how come she got in the barrier? She can see the mansion?!”

Ahjussi chuckles patting the man’s shoulder. “Well, she’s Ae Ra’s daughter. I caught it earlier while I am tending the plants. Good thing I went though when I caught her scent or else Sehun must’ve choked her to death.” He looks at Sehun who doesn’t give a damn with what his father have said. When food arrives in front of him, he started digging in. “Oh, this is Sehun. He’s my son and also my heir. He’s the same age as you.”

“Oh um..” I look at Sehun but he doesn’t even look at me as he eats. He hates me. Nice to meet you Sehun. Yes it was very nice indeed. I get that. Another being that hates me next to my father.

“Sehun.”

“Oh it’s okay! I’m used to it ahjussi so..” I let out a laugh.

“Used to it?” Oh damn. A slip of the tongue.

“N..Nevermind!” I smile.

“So? What brings you here?”

“Um, I actually want to ask about my Mom. I didn’t meet her because she died after I was born.”

“Hm? You went all the way just to ask me that? Doesn’t Sejong tell you all about it?”

I flinch hearing Dad’s name who I see only a number of times because he hates looking at me. “Um.. that.. I’m not close with him so..”

“Is that so?” I nod and started eating.

As we eat, Ahjussi told me that my Mom was a really kind person and is cheerful too, not to mention her good looks. It turns out that my parents, ahjussi and his wife were all friends since they were in high school. Their clans were close as ever which is why.

“I heard that she’s here?!” A beautiful woman entered the hall. Suddenly, all of the men stopped eating and bowed to her.

“Welcome back My Lady!” They all said in unison. My Lady? Then, is she-

“I told you all not to do that did I?” She turns to me and smiled walking close. “Why, you really look like her! You’re as pretty as Unnie.”

“Hyunjin, you’re back?” She nods and walks closer to me then takes both of my hand.

“Nice to meet you! I’m Hyunjin, Sehun’s Mom and this man’s wife.” She points at ahjussi. She’s really pretty but now that I’ve seen her, Sehun looks more like Ahjussi. “Tell me, what’s your name?”

“Ae Soo. It’s Yang Ae Soo.” She smiles and I felt her hand on my hair. She pulls me to a hug and I can smell her sweet scent. It feels good being hugged by her. Is this what a Mom’s hug feels like?

“So she really named you Ae Soo.” She releases me and caressed my hair. “Ae Ra actually wanted a beautiful name to suit her daughter. She wanted her name to be in you because she wants you to be loved as you grow up and she knows that you’ll be a very elegant woman. That’s why your name is Ae, for love, and Soo for elegance. You really grew up to be like your name dear.”

I feel my eyes getting blurry. Oh, tears. I am crying.. “Hyunjin! You made her cry!”

“Oh my! I didn’t mean to! I just thought that she wanted to know that! I’m so sorry dear!!”

I smile shaking my head. "No, please don't worry! I'm just too happy that I'm hearing that from my mom's friend. I was glad to hear it since I don't know anything about my Mom at all. Everyone at home is not allowed to talk about it after all."

"Is it your father that forbid it?" I let out a nod. "I see. Well, just so you know, your father really loves your Mom so much that's why I think he still can't accept his death until now."

"Yes, which is why he hates me after all."

"Ae Soo.." She holds my hand and pats my shoulders. I feel bad for making them look at me sadly so I force a smile telling them that I'm alright.

"It's okay ahjumma. I'm really fine! I'm used to it already so-"

"Boss!!" A man from outside came in as he chase his breath. He seems to be in a panic.

"What is it?"

"Outside! Right now!"

I follow everyone outside as they rush though I don't know why. I freeze looking at what they are staring at. "D..Dad?"