Meeting the Chos

Tenant

Back home, Kyuhyun was pondering how to inform his parents about his choice of partner. If they are against it, he would have to break ties with them. He planned to visit them during Christmas with Sungmin, though he has not told him yet. 

Knowing his parents, he believed that they would be mindful of not indulging in unfair assumptions, stereotypes, or even prejudices.  But since he had decided to make this relationship work (which he define, in part, as the relationship’s level of satisfaction for each partner and in its overall longevity and subjective “quality” for each partner), he has to endure the consequences, that is, he would lose his family until eternity, because definitely, he would choose Sungmin.

They were sipping their hot tea in a cool Saturday afternoon, relaxing and watching a movie. Sungmin has his day-off, and they had gone for breakfast and grocery shopping together. Kyuhyun thought that this would be a good time to bring up his plan to visit his parents.

"Min.."

"Hmm..?" Sungmin turned to Kyuhyun and smile.

"Let's visit my parents this Christmas. I want to introduce you to them"

Sungmin now have his full attention to Kyuhyun. He lifted his one leg up on the sofa, and looked at Kyuhyun worriedly. "Kyu, is it too early to do that? Meeting my family is different, because Appa knew and asked me to bring you, and at that time, we were pretending. But meeting your parents will be different. You are introducing me as your partner".

"Precisely. I want them to give us their blessings" Kyuhyun interlaced their fingers.

"What if they are against us?"

"I will still choose you. I won't break ties with you..."

"I mean, I don't want you breaking ties with them because of me.."

"Let's just see how it goes ok? Do you get time off during Christmas?"

Sungmin was quiet. He was thinking fast about the situation. But yes, he would arrange for his time off and annual leave. "Yeah I can arrange for that. Anyway I always apply leave for my birthday. Didn't want to get scoldings from customers on my special day" Sungmin laughed quietly. 

Kyuhyun chuckled. He bent over to drop a brief kiss on Sungmin's forehead. "Don't worry too much about meeting my parents. They are ok and quite open minded. I will call my mum to let her know" he said, pulling Sungmin to rest on his chest. 

Sungmin adjusted his sit and relax in Kyuhyun's arms. He can't help getting worried, now that Kyuhyun mentioned about meeting his family. He knew Kyuhyun's family is from upper class, and his father own a school. How could they accept their same gender relationship? "Where is your family's home, Kyu? Is it in Seoul itself?" 

"Yes in Myeongdong, but we have a holiday bungalow near to Mount Seoraksan and they will be there this Christmas. I used to go mountain hiking there with my high school friends and I love it coz of the fresh air and less crowd". 

"Really? Wow, but it must be so cold in winter. How high is it" Sungmin asked, refering to the mountain's altitude. 

"Hmm, I remember it was 638m high, and we hiked about 3.5 hours to complete a round trip. The hike is a medium level difficulty but it can get a little strenuous near the top.  We should try hiking next summer. Not a difficult path really" Kyuhyun said when Sungmin turned his head to look at Kyuhyun as though saying he sure couldn't hike that height! 

"Really Min, the path wasn't difficult. It's a mix of concrete, dirt paths, wooden stairs and rocks of various sizes, so hiking up Seoraksan is really interesting. And hiking during summer is always a delight as we will encounter a few vendors selling snacks and drinks, even a bee farm that sells big jars of fresh honey for, hmm, KRW 50,000"

"Wow. I want that..." 

"if everything okay with my parents, then we should plan next summer. In the final leg of the journey, you will be charm with a small temple with a big gold buddha statue. I used to enjoy those hiking because the journey on Seoraksan is really a scenic one, you know, with walks along ridges that are lined by gnarled pines. But once I started work, I hardly had time to go there anymore, and I don't even have time to go for a movie!"

"Kyu, there's a will, there's a way. You just need to relax with your friends and put aside work for a while". 

"But now that I have you, Min, I will put aside work just for you.." Kyuhyun smile sincerely and kissed Sungmin's cheek. It was nice, relaxing at home just the two of them, in each other's arms. 

It was cold once the month crawled to November and it started snowing in early December. Seoul weather is weird, it snowed in early December, then there will be no more snow until Christmas time or the new year. Then it will snow non-stop till early March! 

A week before their visit to Kyuhyun's family at their holiday bungalow, Sungmin could feel his nervousness quariple! Kyuhyun had told him that his mother was happy that Kyuhyun would be bringing a friend, and couldn't wait to meet this friend. Apparently once Kyuhyun started working, he never brought along any friends anymore whenever he visited them. He used to bring a few of his high school friends so Sungmin wondered maybe they were all busy with their own working life, that's why. 

They left Seoul in early morning after breakfast. Kyuhyun drove  and the driving distance between Seoul to their bungalow near to Seoraksan National Park is 192 km. It takes approximately 2h 11m. But along the way, they would stop for toilet breaks, or food break or just because Sungmin wanted to take photos of their beautiful countryside. To Sungmin, he never travel to their own countryside before and kept praising that Korea has beautiful places that many Koreans themselves didn't know! 

"Min, if you can stand the cold, we should explore the base of the mountain. Mount Seorak is really gorgeous. I definitely love its view in summer and autumn but winter and spring are just as amazing too" Kyuhyun smile at him while showing him the peak of Mount Seorak in the far distance. 

Seeing Mount Seorak in their view, means that they are reaching the bungalow. Sungmin started to feel nervous again. He calmed himself by thinking about the mountains. He glanced at the back seat where he had brought his Christmas presents along. He had knitted a dark blue vest for Kyuhyun's father, knitted a lovely pink cardigan for Kyuhyun's mother, knitted a cute red vest for Kyuhyun's sister, and just managed to complete knitting a dark red pullover for Kyuhyun himself, two nights ago in his office.

He had baked cupcakes last night and decorate them early this morning. There were 3 boxes of six cupcakes in each box, but the-ever-hungry Kyuhyun had finished up 1 box of the cupcakes. He started eating during breakfast, and gobbled the rest along the way when they stopped for breaks! Sungmin had laughed at him, and managed to stop him from digging another cup cake from the 2nd box. He offered his hungry boyfriend French toast instead, which he brought along too for he himself to eat.

"Min, see those bungalows on the hillside? That's our destination"

"Wow, so lovely!! It must be expensive! Was there a caretaker when nobody stays?"

"Yes, all the owners paid a few cleaners and caretakers to take care of the bungalows. My dad bought one unit when we sold our first house, but I can't remember what was the price. Most of the time, Ahra-noona would come here with her friends, so the unit were quite occupied the whole year"

"I see. But it's really lovely. I wish it snow  tonight, so that the surroundings will be white!" Sungmin said, appreciating the beauty of the area.

Kyuhyun smile and nodded. He knew that Sungmin is nervous so he hope that the beautiful surroundings would calm him down.

He parked the car at the basement garage and Sungmin saw that there were another car parked there already. He helped Kyuhyun to bring up their luggages, paperbag with presents and their winter jackets. Plus the cupcakes.

"Kyuhyun!!!" Mrs Cho was already at the door once they climbed up to the front porch. Kyuhyun hugged her happily and then introduced Sungmin to her.

"Omma, this is Sungmin, my house mate" Kyuhyun said, signalling at Sungmin that he would tell them about their relationship later. "Min, this is my mother".

"Annyeong Mrs Cho" Sungmin bowed respectfully. "Here are cupcakes for you" Sungmin smile and passed her the 2 boxes.

"Wow, they looked so pretty!! Where did you get these?" Mrs Cho asked.

"He baked them, omma" Kyuhyun said, sming at Sungmin, and brought in their luggages.

"Oh my, really?? You can baked??!!"

"What, who can bake??" suddenly another voice appeared at the door.

"Ahra, this is Sungmin, Kyu's housemate. He bake these cupcakes!! Aren't they lovely? Smells good too!!"

"Annyeong, noona" Sungmin bowed at her.

"Annyeong Sungmin-ssi!! Come in, it's cold outside!!" Ahra invited him in. Ahra looked so relax and friendly. "Wahh You are so beautiful!!"

"Ahhh noona, how can I be beautiful. I'm just a normal guy. And just call me Sungmin"

"He is beautiful right, noona?" Kyuhyun smile lovingly at him. 

"Yes, really, you are so beautiful!" Ahra praised him. She saw the look at Kyuhyun's face and beginning to suspect something, but she prefers not to say anything yet. "I want to try your cupcake!!" and ran to the kitchen and she washed her hand and took one cupcake. The look on her face says it all!  "Oh my..... this is so delicious!!. Omma, come try this!!" she pull her mother's arm towards the box. 

The two ladies becane so excited and kept praising Sungmin. Mr Cho came out from one room, maybe the study room, Sungmin presume, and asked the two ladies what the commotion was all about. Kyuhyun said hi to him and hugged him and then Kyuhyun introduced Sungmin to him. Somehow, Mr Cho looked familiar. 

"I think I saw you before. You are saying you work at Woori Bank?" and when Sungmin nodded, Mr Cho continued "Remember, you came with some senior members of the Bank, to give my students talks about Internet banking security and features? I think around beginning of the year... " 

"Ohhh, yes, you are the principal Mr Cho, now I remember!! Yes, thank you for having us. The take up rate for our Internet Banking increase after that talk!" Sungmin smile appreciatingly at Mr Cho. 

"I remember you because you are one of the most good looking and very polite. So you are Kyuhyun's housemate? What a small world!!!" Mr Cho laughed. "Welcome to our family!! Come, let's all sit down. Dear, serve some hot tea! And I want to try that cupcake too!" 

"Thank you, Mr Cho" Sungmin gave a slight bow and sat at the sofa too. They had lighted the fireplace and the living room are warm and cosy. "This is really a nice place! The mountain, the valleys and the whole surroundings are so awesome! I never knew Korea has such a beautiful place!" 

"Then you should come here with Kyuhyun often. In different season. I like autumn the best. The leaves are of different shades and I enjoy strolling in the evening!" Mr Cho smile remembering his walks. 

Mrs Cho brought the tea and Ahra brought the cupcakes. By now, Kyuhyun had rejoined them back after putting their luggages upstairs. 

They had a good time catching up and laughing at Kyuhyun and Ahra who 'quarell' because Kyuhyun took the last cupcake. 

"Ahra noona, I can bake again, I just need flour and mixture" Sungmin said, trying to save his boyfriend. 

"Min, ignore her. Bake apple pie instead!" Kyuhyun said, showing his tougue at his sister. 

"You bake apple pies too??" Ahra gave her full attention to Sungmin. 

"Yeah, I do. Not as nice as my mum, though. But by Kyuhyun's standard, I pass" Sungmin giggled, glancing at Kyuhyun. 

"Not fair, Kyu got to eat all the good stuff!" she gave Kyuhyun a killer look. Kyuhyun just shrugged because he won this round! "And Kyu, out with it, you wanted to tell omma and Appa something right?" Ahra gave him a winning look now. 

Sungmin got startled and looked at Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun looked at his noona to warn her, but too late, his mother now looked at him questioningly. 

"What do you want to tell us, Kyu?" Mrs Cho asked looking from Kyuhyun to Sungmin. 

"I.. ermmm, omma and Appa, actually, ermm, Sungmin is more than just my housemate. We are in... a relationship. I mean, as in... boyfriends" Kyuhyun said, 
cautiously. 

"What do you mean Kyu? You and Sungmin...?" 

"I love him, omma and Appa. We love each other very much" 

Sungmin looked down, unable to face Kyuhyun's parents. 

Mrs Cho looked at her husband, and Mr Cho looked at both Kyuhyun and Sungmin. 

The quietness seemed forever to Sungmin.. and at every second of the clock ticking, his heart started to drop...