Mitigate

Tenant

 

Kyuhyun told Sungmin about his colleague's problem, when they were having dinner during Sungmin's off day. 

"Ohhh Hyukjae-ssi? Was he the one who's boyfriend went with another guy to take a break or something?" Sungmin asked, scooping a spoon of rice into his mouth. 

"Yeah, and the reason was because stupid Hyukjae asked Donghae-ssi to move in with him. He wanted to be like us, stay together abd do everything together" 

"But our situation is different, I was your tenant and I'm already staying here" 

"I told him the same thing, and that he shouldn't suggest such thing to his boyfriend since they are not ready to go to that step yet". 

Sungmin thought for a moment, and said "Kyu, i think we should help your friend.  Why don't we speak to both of them? Do you think that Donghae-ssi would be okay for a meet-up, with Hyukjae-ssi and us?" 

"I don't know, unless i don't mention to Donghae-ssi that Hyukjae-ssi will be there" 

"Yup okay. I will have my day off this coming Saturday. How about breakfast with them?" 

"I can talk to Hyukjae tomorrow. Thanks Min for suggesting that" Kyuhyun smile appreciatingly. "By the way, how was your application to switch to normal daily hours?" 

"HR still considering. Problem is I'm a team leader, so they have to find a replacement" 

"And you are good and nobody else can match you..." Kyuhyun . 

"No.... Haha, there are other excellent team leaders, but probably not many wants to be in the night shift" Sungmin said while finished up his rice. They finished their dinner and Kyuhyun helped Sungmin to clean up. They automatically know their duty, like Sungmin would wash the dishes while Kyuhyun wipe them dry and kept them in the cupboard. 

The next day in his office, Kyuhyun remembered about Sungmin's suggestion. He stood up and asked Hyukjae "Hyuk, are you free this Saturday morning? Want to join Sungmin and me for breakfast?" 

Hyukjae looked up "And be a 3rd wheel..?" 

"Just join us, you already know Sungmin..." Kyuhyun coaxed him. 

"Okay okay. Let me know where..." Hyukjae said. Anyway, now that his boyfriend wanted a break, he has nobody to go out with. 

"Heyyyy how come you never ask me along?" Ryeowook got up from his chair and crossed over.

"As though you are free..." Kyuhyun said, knowing that Ryeowook usually spent his weekend at his boyfriend's house. 

"I'm not, but at least I can be invited also..?" 

"Ok you are invited. Happy? So can you make it for breakfast on Saturday morning?" 

"No, I'm not free.." Ryeowook said and laughed out loud when Kyuhyun strangled his neck. 

"Okay, be at The Flying Pan, 9.45am on Saturday" Kyuhyun told Hyukjae, and Hyukjae gave the 'ok' sign. 

Kyuhyun then send a text to Siwon to ask for Donghae's number. When Siwon asked why, Kyuhyun explained briefly about his plan to reconcile the two estranged boyfriends and that he won't mentioned to Donghae that Hyukjae would be there. 

Once Siwon sent to him Donghae's number, Kyuhyun texted him. "Hi Donghae-ssi, Kyuhyun here. Heard that you had a fun time at Siwon's villa. Are you okay to meet me for breakfast this Saturday morning? I just want some feedback on the villa before I approach Siwon to rent it" 

Donghae replied him "Hello Kyuhyun-ssi! Yes! I had a great time! The villa is awesome! Okay, let's meet, I will show you some photos of the beautiful villa!!" 

"Wow, it must really be awesome! Are you okay with breakfast at The Flying Pan? How about 9.15am?"

"Sounds great! I usually go for run in the morning. Just nice after my shower, I will be hungry hahahaha. Ok see you Kyuhyun-ssi" 

Kyuhyun smile as now he has gotten both of them to meet for breakfast. The villa was a last minute thought. He was just thinking of renting it from Siwon to spend some time with Sungmin on his own birthday, so the best person to ask was Donghae! Such a good excuse to lure him out! 

The Flying Pan is located at 123-7 Itaewon-dong, Yongsan-gu, Seoul. To get there, Donghae needed to take a train to Itaewon Station (line 6) and come out of exit 2, since he has no car. He had a good run this morning to clear his mind, but he missed Hyukjae terribly. Maybe going out and having breakfast with friends was a good idea indeed. 

Both Kyuhyun abd Sungmin arrived early. They woke up early to jog, and took a shower together and drove to Itaewon. They got a table for 4, and after looking through the menu, Sungmin ordered Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon, tomato, and spinach, to go with his Royal Honey Milk Tea. Kyuhyun was indecisive at first because everything taste good, so finally he settled on Eggs Avocado with salmon and My Fair Lady with mixed berry compote pancakes. For beverage, he wanted to try the popular Canadian Maple Latte, so he settled on that. 

Their drinks arrived just when Donghae appeared at the entrance. Kyuhyun waved at him and Donghae practically ran in, smiling happily. 

"Donghae-ssi, this is Lee Sungmin, my boyfriend" and then he turned ti Sungmin "Min, this is Lee Donghae". 

"Wow, you looked so pretty!!!" Donghae praised Sungmin honestly, making Sungmin giggled. Siwon did mention to him that Kyuhyun was now very much attached, and now he could see why, and Sungmin was such a friendly guy. He took serviettes for him, which had a cute Flying Pan logo on it, and put his fork and knives properly on the serviette. Donghae thanked him and said  "Shall we just be casual? Just call me Donghae or Hae. What did you two ordered?" 

Sungmin showed him the items "We ordered these...", and coincidentally, their food came, looked delicious with mouth watering smell!!! 

"Wow, it looks good!!!" and since the waiter was there, Donghae gave his order too "Ok, i think i will get poached eggs and salmon without the bread, and cold brew coffee. Ohh wait, i want these too, omelet, crepe, and banana French toast" and he smile at the waiter. The waiter bowed and left. 

"You went for a run too? You looked so fresh!" Sungmin asked. 

"Yeah! It feels good isn't it, after a run!! Heyyy you guys go ahead" Donghae gestured to their food. He asked Sungmin where he was working and was surprised that he was in permanent night shift! He told them that he don't think he would ever work during the night, because he needed his beautiful night sleep and admired Sungmin for managing a different sleeping time. He told them that at the villa, he was already yawning badly but Siwon kept on talking until he fell asleep while still seated on the dining chair, and Siwon had to drag him to bed!

His food was served and Donghae then showed Kyuhyun and Sungmin his photos at the villa and at the fishing pond, and told them of many exciting things that they could do around the villa. 

"Wow, very interesting place! Kyu, do you mean that you plan to rent here?" Sungmin asked, turning to Kyuhyun.

"Yeah, for my birthday, for me to celebrate with you" Kyuhyun laughed.

"Ohhhh, I'm so sorry i should be the one to do the planning, but I was so busy because it's a new year" Sungmin said regrettably.

"It's okay Min, don't worry about it!"

"Errr, but you two need to bring your own food, because the nearest supermarket is about a few kilometers away" Donghae told them while munching his food. He kind of envy them because they have each other whereas for him...

"I see, ok, thanks for telling us!" Kyuhyun nodded. And then, looking at his watch, he added "Actually Hae, the reason why i asked you for this breakfast session is for you to patch back with Hyuk. I hope you don’t mind me saying this. He didn't mean any harm, he just wanted to move to the next level. If you are not comfortable, you two don't have to stay together permanently, you two can start with just sleeping over during the weekends, or one or two nights per week and see how it goes". 

Donghae stopped chewing "You are right, I shouldn't decided to break off and hurt Hyuk's feelings. I guess I was too selfish and only think of myself. I value my freedom and I admit that i didn't think through. Your suggestion is good, we should start with a few days first" Donghae looked down at his food sadly. 

Sungmin reached out and held Donghae's hand "I understand your feelings. Kyuhyun and I started as landlord and tenant and our feelings for each other started much later on. I was apprehensive to move into his bedroom too at first, but i told myself that I had chosen this path and I love Kyuhyun, so I no longer alone in every sense. I want to move on with Kyuhyun and do everything with him. There are lot of give-and-take in a relationship and to make it work, we have to compromise". 

"You are right..." but before Donghae finished his sentence, he heard somebody's voice!

"Kyu! Sorry i'm late!!" suddenly Hyukjae's voice was behind him! He turned and at the same time, Hyukjae saw him and stopped on his track, too surprised to see him there.

Kyuhyun saw the interaction between the two, and stood up. He guided Hyukjae to sit next to Donghae, and said "Hyuk, sit down and order your food".

One has a longing look and one hasn't recovered from his surprise.

Hyukjae said hi to Sungmin and Donghae, and flipped open the menu "Ok what's nice?" Hyukjae said.

"You should try this! Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon, tomato, and spinach. It's so good!!!" Sungmin suggested.

"Hyuk, try this crepe" Donghae told him and asked him to open his mouth. Both Kyuhyun and Sungmin were half expected that Hyukjae would reject it, but surprisingly, Hyukjae did open his mouth!

Donghae smiled happily and asked "Nice?" 

"Wow, this is good! Which one is it?" Hyukjae looked through the menu. Donghae moved nearer and pointed it to him. Sungmin glanced at Kyuhyun and smiled. Things are looking good so far! 

Hyukjae placed his order and looked up at Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun smiled, raised his eyebrows and raised his shoulders, as though saying that he has created the chance, so it's up to both Hyuk and Hae to take the next step. 

Sungmin broke the silence "Actually we didn't want to interfere with your relationship, but we do want to help. Like what we told Donghae, you two don't have to stay together permanently, you two can start with just sleeping over during the weekends, or one or two nights per week and see how it goes. Always discuss and compromise, that way, you will also understand better the other partner's feelings". 

"I'm sorry Hyuk, it was my fault. I never consider your feelings, and i only think of myself..." Donghae apologised to Hyukjae. 

"No, no, Hae, it was my fault. I asked you to move in with me without discussing with you first. Like what Sungmin said, we should discuss and compromise. Should we try sleeping over one or two nights first?" Hyukjae reached over and held his Donghae's hand. 

"Yes! I like that!" Donghae smile happily. 

"Okay okay, if you two want to kiss, don't do it here. Sungmin and me are under age" Kyuhyun said jokingly. 

They all laughed and Hyukjae threw his serviette at Kyuhyun. He started eating and immediately said the food was good! 

After a while, Hyukjae said "Kyu and Sungmin, thank you very much for all your advices. I really appreciate your effort to mitigate and help us understand each other better"

Donghae added in "Yes, thank you so much both of you!! We should do this on regular basis, you know, meet up for breakfast or just for drinks!!"

"I don't mind, but only if Sungmin is not on night shift, like today, it's his off day" Kyuhyun told them.

"Yeah, yeah, you let us know..." Hyukjae said, and then turned to Donghae "Hae, shall we make a move first?"

"Okay let's pay for them" Donghae said.

"No no, just pay for yours! And go go, i know you two are dying to kiss!!!" Kyuhyun said, laughing when Hyukjae threatened to punch him. 

After they left, Kyuhyun said to Sungmin "What will I do without you?!" 

"Pay for my breakfast..." Sungmin laughed..