Chapter Nine

Flatline

Chapter Nine

Jungkook took short gasping breaths as he walked towards work. His chest hurt, to be fair his whole body hurt. He had made sure he was covered up. All he wanted to do was to go home, sleep and rest and let his aching body do nothing but lie there. He did his best to stand up straight, he couldn’t let them see, he couldn’t let them know. He walked into work and gave his brother a smile and a wave as the elder noticed him walking in.

 

“Jungkook,” he grinned back, though it didn’t remain on his face for long. His baby brother was pale and he looked like he was going to pass out at any moment. “You all right?” he asked softly, about to get up from his seat to over to him.

 

Jungkook paused for a moment, “Yeah, I’m fine, just didn’t sleep well last night,” he reassured, lying through his teeth.

 

“You sure?” he asked, standing up and starting to walk over.

 

“I am, don’t worry hyung,” he replied a softer smile on his face. His breathing still coming in short hitching gasps, though he was trying to hide them from Junghyun, “I just need a coffee that's all, didn’t have one before I left the house.” This time he wasn’t lying, he hadn’t had a coffee that morning. He hadn’t had anything that morning as he had escaped the apartment before Jinyoung had awoken.

 

“I’ll-” Junghyun was cut off as someone came to reception and started talking to him. Sending his brother one last worried look before he went back and sat down.

 

Jungkook gave his brother a smile as he carried on walking towards the break room. He’d get a coffee and sit down for a little bit before he would have to start work. He was a little early. But he didn’t care, he just wanted to get out of the apartment. He had been unconscious until twenty minutes before he left, showering as quietly and as quickly as he could he had walked out of the apartment. Adrenaline and fear keeping him moving.

 

“Morning Kookie,” Jimin greeted him from where he sat. It was the first time both him and Taehyung was going to be working, while they attempted to get Soo-Yun used to a daycare centre near the hospital.

 

Jungkook ignored them, too intent on making a coffee. His chest felt tighten and the sharp stabbing pains coming from it intensified even more. He reached out to the tub of coffee. Yoongi and Jimin shared a look of concern behind his back.

 

“Jungkook?” Yoongi called out softly as he got up and walked over.

 

The world was beginning to fade around the edges. Jungkook reached out and gripped the counter, trying to stop the world from tilting any more than it was. Jungkook struggled to breathe, having to take short little breaths as the pain became worse as he tried to breathe in. He could hear them calling him, but it didn’t take long for the world around him to turn black.

 

“,” Yoongi cursed as he caught Jungkook before he could fall to the floor, “Jimin get a trolley in here,” he said as he began to check the young nurse over.

 

Jimin nodded, rushing out the door he called for one before going back to help Yoongi. “What do we have?” he asked, voice shaking slightly. It was never fun when you had a friend as a patient.

 

“Looks like broken ribs, his breathing is off,” he began, voice going deceptively calm as the door opened and Taehyung came in with Lisa, both of them guiding the trolley. The two froze for a moment when they saw Jungkook unconscious on the floor.

 

Jimin nodded, “Bring it closer,” he told the two, “let’s get him to trauma.”

 

Yoongi nodded and working together they got Jungkook on the bed and rushed him through to Trauma. “,” he cursed again moments later when they were able to get his uniform off. His chest was a mass of bruising.

 

“He… he was bound at some point,” Jimin trembled as he saw his wrists, which had been covered by the long-sleeved jacket he had been wearing over his uniform.

 

“Lisa, need you to call down to surgery, they will be receiving someone with internal bleeding and a punctured lung as well,” Yoongi told her.

 

Lisa nodded her head and went over to the phone and called down. Taehyung’s hands were shaking as he did what he was told. Soon enough Jungkook was on his way to surgery. Taehyung went over to Jimin and held him, Jimin’s arms tightened around him. “One of us needs to tell Junghyun and Jin-hyung,” he said, looking towards Yoongi.

 

Yoongi nodded, “This isn’t the first time he’s come to work hurt,” he said softly, “He’s come in with bruises a number of times, but I’ve tried talking to him, but he hasn’t opened up. He just keeps quiet, or coming up with excuses that I know aren’t true,” he sighed, “I’ll talk to Jin-hyung first. Then both of us will get Junghyun to the office. I don’t want him to be waiting in the waiting room. It’s going to hard for him to hear,” he sighed.

 

“I think you should get Hobi-hyung here as well. I know he hasn’t gone out yet on a call,” Jimin suggested.

 

“I’ll see what Jin-hyung can do,” Yoongi nodded as he stood straight and headed out the room. He walked quickly towards Seokjin’s office, not wanting to delay any longer. He knocked on the door and waited to be called in.

 

“Ah, Yoongi-yah?” Seokjin said looking up from the patient file he had been reading through in preparation for an operation later on.

 

“Jungkook collapsed in the break room,” Yoongi told him, closing the door behind him. He didn’t want anyone to overhear, though he had no doubt that word will travel quickly.

 

Seokjin dropped the file, “How is he?” he asked, eyes wide.

 

“Broken ribs and his showed all the signs of internal bleeding,” he answered, “Also one of his ribs must have shifted, it punctured his lung while we were in trauma.”

 

“Damn,” he closed his eyes, “How is Junghyun taking it?” he asked, wondering where the young receptionist was.

 

“I haven’t told him yet. I thought it would be best to get him up here and out of the way. Also, Jimin suggested that we get Hoseok to come with him,” he sighed.

 

Seokjin nodded, grabbing his phone and calling down to the reception desk, “Junghyun, I need you in my office. And I also need Hoseok, so can you find him and come up please,” he said softly, “I hope he doesn’t think that this is because of his relationship with Hoseok,” he murmured, ending the call, slightly worried at the meeting being thought of as such.

 

Yoongi went over to the chair near the desk and sat down. He had been keeping in the emotions he had been feeling since the moment Jungkook had collapsed. Shaking hands rubbed at his face as they waited for the two to arrive. It didn’t take that long for the two worried looking men to walk in.

 

“Junghyun, Hoseok,” Seokjin smiled, his voice soft and caring as he added, “Please, both of you sit down,” he gestured to the sofa in his room.

 

The two sat down as Yoongi and Seokjin explained what was going on. Junghyun got up, temper exploding as he thought of his younger brother being harmed, “Jinyoung,” he growled, eyes flashing as the only thing on his mind was to get to the man that had hurt his baby brother.

 

“We don’t know for sure, but I would say so,” Yoongi nodded.

 

“We should call the police,” Hoseok’s voice was soft as he took Junghyun’s hand and squeezed it.

 

“It will be up to Jungkook, we can make the initial call, but he will have to agree to talk to them about what has happened,” Seokjin sighed, “You can both wait here, I’ve contacted down for them to call us here to tell us when Jungkook is out of surgery,” he added as Hoseok had now wrapped his arms around Junghyun, trying to keep the young man calm and level-headed. The young receptionist wanted nothing more than to find Jinyoung, and Hoseok knew that Junghyun would do something he would regret if he let him go.

 

“Junghyun, I’m calling out for a replacement, and Hoseok, I’m telling Jisoo she is to remain here until a replacement has arrived to partner up with her,” Seokjin said, going behind his desk to make the calls.

 

Yoongi got up, feeling more stable as he went over to them, “I’ve got to get back to work, but please tell me how he is?” he asked, his eyes pleading with the two to keep him informed.

 

Hoseok looked up, “We will,” he replied, finally talking Junghyun over to the sofa for them to sit down.

 

Yoongi left the room and tried to push everything from his mind so that he could get back to work.

 

XxXxX

 

The sun had set and gathered in the small private room where Jungkook was now settled in was Junghyun, Hoseok and Yoongi. Their friends had stopped by at least once during the day after Jungkook had been brought to it. He hadn’t woken up apart from a few moments after the anaesthetic wore off. Junghyun held a hand, worry etched on his face as he waited for him to wake up. All three looked to the bed as Jungkook shifted and began to wake.

 

“Kookie,” Junghyun called out softly, “Come on little brother,” he murmured, moving black hair out of the closed eyes.

 

Jungkook slowly woke up, the world was out of focus as he looked around. “What?” he murmured, mouth dry.

 

Yoongi moved forwards, “Here,” he said, grabbing the cup and straw and letting him take a sip, “Just a few sips,” he warned him.

 

Jungkook took a few draws of water, relaxing a little as the horrible dry feeling lefts slightly, “Where?” he asked, confused.

 

“You collapsed,” Junghyun answered softly.

 

“Oh,” Jungkook murmured, staring at the ceiling above him for a moment, letting the memories of the morning filter back through.

 

“What happened Jungkook,” Junghyun asked him, “And don’t lie to me please,” he added softly.

 

Jungkook said nothing. He couldn’t answer, he didn’t want to lie to his brother again. He hated the feeling of guilt that swirled around him each time he had to lie to him.

 

“Kookie,” Junghyun called softly, “Come on little brother, talk to me please,” he begged.

 

“I… I can’t,” he said, voice shaking as tears began to form in his eyes.

 

“You can, you’re safe here, and you can always come and stay with me,” Junghyun told him, rubbing his thumb over the bruising on one of Jungkook’s wrists.

 

Jungkook turned and looked at him, “I can’t, he said he would… would hurt you too,” he sobbed.

 

Junghyun got up, moving closer and trying to sooth his brother cries, “Shush, it's okay, you’re safe. I’m not going to let him get anywhere near you,” his voice was strong, he meant what he said. He would keep his promise to his brother, one way or another.

 

Hoseok moved closer, a hand on Jonghyun's shoulder, “Jungkook, you need to tell the police what happened. You need to do something, we don’t want to see you hurt again,” he advised him gently.

 

Jungkook looked over his brother's shoulder at the paramedic, “I can’t… I’m scared,” he said, voice trembling.

 

“We know,” Yoongi said softly, “But we’re going to be beside you,” he reassured him, putting a hand on his other arm, across from Junghyun.

 

Jungkook looked at each of the three in the room, “You’ll be with me?” he asked them.

 

“Yes, we will,” Yoongi said, brother Junghyun and Hoseok repeating the words.

 

“Okay, okay I’ll… I’ll do it,” he nodded, eyes wide in fear as he looked at his hyungs.

 

“Leave it for the morning, for now, I think you should rest,” Yoongi suggested, seeing the fear in Jungkook’s eyes, “I’ve talked to the doctors and nurses on the floor, you are free to stay the night Junghyun,” he told the young receptionist.

 

Junghyun looked relieved at that, “Thanks, Yoongi-hyung,” he said with a bow of his head.

 

“Welcome,” he said with a smile, “I’m going to go, good to see you awake Jungkook, I’ll tell the others as well, Hoseok, you’re welcome to stay as well, I made sure of that,” he nodded his head to the paramedic as he then left the room.