Chapter Three

Flatline

Chapter Three

 

Jungkook rubbed the back of his neck, trying to ease the ache that was beginning to throb. He had just finished with a patient and was now given the task to take some of the paperwork to his brother. So he could update the system for when the family arrived. He stood in the doorway of the waiting room, just out of sight of those at the reception desk. But not out of hearing range.

 

"Hobi-hyung," Junghyun began, "You should be out there at the moment, waiting for a possible emergency," he said, gesturing to the entrance.

 

"We have a break for the next ten minutes," Hoseok smiled as he leaned on the counter, "I thought I would brighten up my day by talking to you," he said softly.

 

Junghyun tried to fight the blush that wanted to creep up his neck and onto his face, "Hoseok-hyung, stop it will you."

 

"Well, I could, but why would I," he grinned, eyes dancing as he learned that little bit closer.

 

Junghyun leaned back a little and looked up, glaring at the elder man, "Hoseok, stop it," he said more bluntly, hoping to get the other to stop with his shameless flirting with him.

 

"Junghyun-ah," Hoseok said, his voice softening, "I-"

 

"I think your break will be over by now Hoseok-hyung," Jungkook said as he stepped out before the other could say anything more to his brother.

 

"I was just go-" he was cut off again.

 

"Bye Hoseok-hyung, you don't want to be late if there was an emergency do you?" he said, a deceptively innocent smile on his face, even though the glare of his eyes promised murder if the paramedic hung around much longer.

 

Hoseok gave an inaudible sigh as he turned to Junghyun, "I'll talk to you later all right." He winked at the man as he turned around and headed out of the waiting room and to his partner for the evening.

 

Jungkook watched him go and then turned to his brother, "Right, here are the updates for Jung  Daejun, if you can contact the family as well, that would be great," he smiled at his brother as he handed over the notes for him to update.

 

"Okay, I'll do that," he said, taking the notes and brought up the patient file on the computer, already typing in the updates.

 

"Is he always like that?" Jungkook finally asked, glancing towards the entrance doors. He could see Hoseok standing there before darting out of the way.

 

"Who?" he asked as he glanced up at his brother.

 

"Hoseok-hyung?"

 

"He is like that all the time. I think he just needs to talk to someone, or rather flirt with someone," Junghyun said with a shrug, though Jungkook could tell there was something more going on with his brother.

 

"What else?" he asked, eyes narrowing and leaning closer so no one in the waiting room could overhear them.

 

"Nothing else Kookie," Junghyun said, a warning tone in his voice.

 

Jungkook snorted, "There is, and I will get it out of you sooner or later," he warned his brother.

 

Junghyun gave the younger a glare, "Get back to work or get me a coffee," he told him.

 

"I'll get you the coffee hyung," he asked as he walked to the break room. He quickly made his brother a coffee, knowing that it might be a while before Junghyun would be able to leave and get something to drink. He walked back and bit back a shout as he saw Hoseok standing there once again.

 

"Hoseok-hyung," Jungkook said, a warning in his voice.

 

"Jungkook-ah," Hoseok smiled to him.

 

"I thought you would have gone back to your partner and ambulance by now," he said, walking over and handing his brother the mug of coffee, "here hyung."

 

"Thanks, Kookie-ah," Junghyun smiled, taking it with both hands and sipping it carefully.

 

"Should have asked, I would have gotten you something to drink," Hoseok said softly.

 

"My brother knows what I like and how I like them," Junghyun said glancing up and then looking to his brother.

 

Hoseok looked a little crestfallen, "But you could tell me, and then I'll always know," he said quietly.

 

"Maybe next time hyung," Jungkook said, a smug smirk on his face as Hoseok began to walk away, leaving the two brothers alone.

 

Junghyun watched the older man walk away, a ting of guilt in his eyes. He opens his mouth to call after the man until Jisoo rushed in calling for Hoseok to get a move on. A call had come through. Hoseok rushed off through the entrance doors.

 

"Jungkook," came a voice from the corridor, "Need you," Namjoon said as Jungkook nodded to his brother and headed towards the cubicles to see what he was needed for.

 

XxXxX

 

Taehyung grinned as everyone surrounded the table that they had commandeered in the local pub, "Well," he said, as everyone turned to look at him, "I'm glad that you were all able to make it," he welcomed everyone, standing and leaning against his husband.

 

Jungkook smiled, "I'm just glad I was able to make it," he said, he had to beg off meeting them after work at the pub three times over the last few days.

 

"Pity Jinyoung couldn't make it," Junghyun said, looking towards his brother.

 

"He's been busy with work a lot," he made an excuse, other than the fact that he just didn't want to meet the people that Jungkook was now working with. He didn’t have anything else to do.

 

"So, is there a reason that you wanted us all here tonight?" Namjoon asked, from where he was sat next to Seokjin.

 

"Yeah," Jimin smiled, "As you know we've been trying to become adoptive parents. We've gone through checks, interviews and I know you have all been questioned by the agency we are with," he finished, a happy smile on his face, eyes barely visible to anyone.

 

"Last week we were told that we've been accepted and that they are going to be contacting us if there is a child younger than two-years-old for us to take in. We're really excited about it all, and we wanted you to know, since you guys are basically our family here in Seoul," Taehyung grinned at them all. “I know Jungkook is new, but he already feels like part of the family,” he added, as he could see the questioning look on the younger nurses face.

 

"That's fantastic news Tae, Jiminie," Seokjin congratulated them as he got up and hugged them both tightly.

 

"Thanks, hyung," Jimin said, hugging him back.

 

"So when will you know?" Namjoon asked the two of them as Seokjin sat back down.

 

"We don't know when, we'll get a call saying that a child needs us, and then we'll get them since we're open to those under two years old. Since we have no preference for gender or anything else. We can be given a child that has been given up by the parents. If so, we have four months before we'll know if we will be able to fully adopt them," Taehyung said, informing them of the downside of adopting a young child.

 

"So you won't know for sure if you'll be able to keep the child?" Jungkook asked. He didn't know what the adoption process entailed.

 

"No, which is going to be hard," Jimin said, a soft smile on his face.

 

"Let's hope for the best," Yoongi said, "Good luck you two," he added, a small smile on his face.

 

"So night's like this are going to be a thing of the past?" Hoseok asked, a grin on his face.

 

Taehyung grinned back, "Yeah, they will be, but maybe, maybe occasionally we can still get together."

 

"Having a child doesn't stop you living your life, it just adds to it," Seokjin huffed, rolling his eyes.

 

Jimin and the others laughed. The night began peacefully, happy and laughter all around. Jungkook watched them all, feeling a little excluded at times, but the others kept dragging him into the conversation as the night wore on. He was quickly feeling at home with the group of people he now worked with.

 

"Jungkook," came a voice from behind the group.

 

"Jinyoung," Jungkook smiled as he saw his boyfriend.

 

"Though you would have been home by now, I thought I should remind you," he said, giving a strained smile to those that were gathered.

 

"Oh," Jungkook said, making a show of checking the time, it wasn’t exactly late, it was barely an hour after they had arrived at the pub, "I'm sorry, and thanks for coming to get me," he said, getting up.

 

"Do you have to go?" Taehyung asked, "Come and join us for one last drink," he suggested a grin on his face.

 

"Sorry, but we should be heading home," Jinyoung said, taking Jungkook's hand in a tight grip as soon as the other had put his coat on.

 

"I do hope you'll join us one of the days," Jimin said a pleasant smile on his face.

 

Jinyoung gave a nod, "I have work a lot," he said, "Come on Jungkook, we need to go," he added, almost dragging Jungkook away from the table.

 

"Bye, see you all at work tomorrow," Jungkook called out, giving a wave before following Jinyoung out of the pub.

 

"Bye!" the others called out, waving back.

 

Yoongi watched them go, seeing Jungkook hand still being gripped tightly and the angry and annoyed look on Jinyoung's face as he talked to Jungkook through the window. Yoongi shook his head and then looked to the group as he was pulled into the conversation once more.

 

"It's nice to be able to relax for a while," Seokjin said softly, leaning back as he watched Taehyung and Jimin lean that little bit closer together and whisper to each other.

 

"Not often you've been able to recently," Yoongi pointed out.

 

Seokjin hummed, "I know," he gave a small sigh, "Mi-So is being... difficult."

 

Namjoon nodded, he had already heard a lot of what was going on. “Yeah,” he said, giving a sympathetic smile at the consultant.

 

Yoongi frowned, "I thought things were well between the two of you and little Seungjae?" he queried.

 

"It was," Seokjin sighed, drinking a little of the soda he had ordered, "She has been seeing someone, and since then she's leaving Seungjae with me all the time. I love him, don’t get me wrong, but he’s seven and wants to know why his mother is always leaving him when he is supposed to be spending some time with her.."

 

"You need to be careful, he is going to start feeling abandoned soon," Namjoon warned him, frowning as he tried to think of things that might be able to help Seungjae..

 

Seokjin nodded, "I know, but there isn't much that I can do about that."

 

"Seungjae is with Mi-So tonight then?" Yoongi asked.

 

"No, I have my neighbour babysitting tonight. Mi-So had a date that she dropped on me when she was supposed to pick him up after school," Seokjin complained, "I just hate seeing that disappointed look on Seungjae's face when I was the one to pick him up today and not Mi-So." He stopped, drinking a little more and looking up at the ceiling, "I just wish I could get through to her that he misses her. He needs his mother as much as myself."

 

Namjoon reached over, placing a comforting hand on his arm, "If you need any help, don't be afraid to ask."

 

Seokjin turned and smiled at him, "I know Joonie, and thank you."

 

Namjoon smiled back, "When's your next day off?" he asked.

 

"Three days, I have a night shift," Seokjin said, "I believe you have the same?"

 

He nodded, "Yeah."

 

"Good, come with me to take Seungjae to the zoo?" he asked, hoping he would have some company.

 

"I'd like that," he grinned.

 

"Good," Seokjin grinned back.

 

Yoongi snorted at them, shaking his head, and muttered to himself, "Get a room."

 

"You say something Yoongi-hyung?" Namjoon asked, seeing that he had said something, but not hearing anything.

 

Yoongi gave a grin, "Nothing for you to worry about."

 

"If you say so," Namjoon smiled.

 

Yoongi laughed and turned to Hoseok and started talking, the conversation taking on a lively tone until they started leaving one by one.