Chapter Twelve

Flatline

Chapter Twelve

 

Jungkook smiled as he saw Jimin and Taehyung enter the pub. The young nurse was happy to see the two back with them. He had been saddened to hear that they had lost the little girl they had been hoping to adopt. Jungkook had been dragged to Jimin and Taehyung’s house by Yoongi a couple of days after he had heard the news. He hadn’t known what to say to the two of them, feeling awkward and out of place as Yoongi talked to the two with ease. He had seen the hurt and despondency setting in with the couple. Even though they were coming into work still. They had only taken a day. Namjoon had been the one to talk to them in the end, getting them to see that some time off for themselves would help more. And now they were back from seeing Jimin’s family in Busan for the last two weeks.

 

“Hey,” Jimin smiled at those that had joined them for the night out. There was still a deep sadness in his eyes, they held a hurt that hadn’t been there before. And the hope that the two of them had was now somewhat faded.

 

“Glad you could make it,” Namjoon smiled back from where he was sat beside Jin.

 

“Same didn’t know if we felt like coming out, but…” Taehyung trailed off looking over at Jimin, “We thought it would be nice to try and do so,” he smiled sitting down as Jimin went to the bar to order drinks for the two of them.

 

“It’s good to see you out, how was Busan?” Jin asked him, putting a hand on his arm and giving it a squeeze.

 

“It was nice and relaxing that's for sure. Though his family were overwhelming, everyone wanted to come and see us while we were there. I don’t think there wasn’t a day when some member of his family hadn’t stopped by,” he answered, “Makes me think about visiting my own family sometimes,” he said softly.

 

“Why didn’t you?” Yoongi asked, “You could have spent a week with Jimin’s family and then a week with yours?” he queried.

 

“Was going to, but my parents had to head down to my grandparent's farm for the month, they needed a little help. I think my parents are talking about taking it over so my grandparents can just enjoy their retirement instead of worrying about it,” he said as Jimin walked back over with two drinks.

 

“Here,” he said, handing one to his husband.

 

“Thanks,” Taehyung smiled back, taking the pint glass and drinking some, putting it down, “It was nice to be away, so thank you Namjoon-hyung, for making sure we did so.”

 

“Yeah, thank you,” Jimin added, “Talking with family over what’s happened helped.”

 

“Glad for that,” Namjoon smiled.

 

“So, what have we missed here?” Jimin asked, shaking his head a little and changing the subject. It still hurt occasionally to talk about Sooyun departure from their life. He didn’t want to dwell on it any more that night.

 

“Well, Hoseok and Junghyun are trying to be the most lovey-dovey couple going,” Yoongi said as he gave the couple in question a pointed look.

 

“Can’t help it, he’s cute,” Hoseok said, scrunching up his nose a little as Junghyun gently bopped it one with his finger, “Well, you are,” he added, looking over to him.

 

“You are a sap Jung Hoseok,” Junghyun said with a shake of his head, though you could see an embarrassed flush on his cheeks.

 

“They are really sickening,” Jungkook agreed, “Sending love notes to each other all the time, putting them in each other's lockers. I’m actually glad that Yoongi-hyung offered his place to stay, I don't think I could have put up with the two of them for long,” he grinned as he saw the offended look his brother and Hoseok gave him.

 

“I’m surprised to see you out though Jin-hyung?” Jimin said as he looked to the eldest of them.

 

“My neighbour is watching over Seungjae for the night, so I could go out. It’s been rough these last several weeks,” he said, sighing softly as he thought of Mi-so, “I’ve got the custody papers for full custody of Seungjae. I just have to give them to Mi-So, I’m hoping she returns them unsigned, but-” he cut himself off as he looked towards the window.

 

“Though there is a high chance that she will sign them and want nothing to do with Seungjae,” Namjoon finished for him a hand on Jin’s shoulder.

 

“How is little Jae?” Taehyung asked him.

 

“He was misbehaving a lot, but he’s started to settle down now. We have started talking each night about how he is feeling. Making sure that he knows that I care and that I’m going to be there for him no matter what,” Jin said softly, turning to face the two of them.

 

“Good to know that you’re helping him,” Jimin said softly, drinking a little of his drink.

 

“He’s been feeling as though he is being pushed out, and with myself and Nam-” Jin cut himself off, paling a little as he thought of what he was about to reveal.

 

“You and Namjoon?” Taehyung pushed, everyone in the group looked at the two of them, waiting for them to speak.

 

The two were looking at each other, a moment later they nodded, “Okay,” Namjoon said as he and Jin turned towards the group.

 

“We’ve been dating for the last two and a half years. We were going to come clean about it a while ago, but Mi-So started to neglect Seungjae and I wanted to make sure that he was all right before anything,” Jin said, a soft smile on his face as he linked hands with Namjoon.

 

“We’re waiting for Seungjae to be ready to tell him what’s going on. At the moment he’s still scared that Jin is going to leave if he finds someone. We were going to tell you all after we told him,” Namjoon carried on.

 

“Well, it's about damn time you told us,” Yoongi said as he raised his glass.

 

“It was a little obvious that you were dating, the little looks. The lingering touches, the times we saw you out and about on the town, and then Namjoon going over to your house and the two of you taking Seungjae out to zoos and parks and things,” Hoseok nodded as Jimin and Taehyung nodded along with him.

 

“Even I guessed not long after I started there,” Jungkook grinned.

 

“Yeah, it was a little obvious we knew you would tell us when you were ready, or you accidentally let it slip,” Junghyun added after his brother.

 

Jin and Namjoon were blushing, “You… you already knew?” Jin was the one to ask.

 

Yoongi shook his head, “Hyung, of course, we did. You were really discreet, most wouldn’t know if they didn’t know you as well as we did. Don’t forget that you brought me with you when you moved to this hospital and you handpicked both Taehyung and Jimin when they were finished with their separate degrees,” he said with a shake of his head, “But anyway,” he added with a smile.

 

“Anyway what?” Namjoon asked, frowning at him.

 

“Congratulations,” Yoongi continued as he raised his glass, the others all did the same and toasted the couple, “I know this one will be lasting for an eternity. So I wish you well,” he smiled.

 

“Same,” Jungkook said, as the others joined in.

 

“So, are we going to be in a pub all night or are we going over to Fire?” Hoseok asked, “I want a little fun,” he grinned, placing an arm over Junghyun’s shoulder.

 

“I’m down for that,” Taehyung grinned, Jimin nodding beside him.

 

“Yeah, okay,” Jungkook smiled, “Been a while since I’ve been able to go out like this.” He had a happy look on his face. He still had the trial against Jinyoung, but he knew that he would win it, there was a lot of evidence against his ex-boyfriend.

 

“All right, let's go,” Namjoon got up, “It's been a while since I went to a club,” he grinned.

 

They drank the rest of their drinks and headed out of the pub. Walking around the town towards Fire, a nice dance club that Hoseok loved to visit when he got chance, and a place that he had been taking Junghyun to. The rest of the night was spent dancing, drinking and generally having a load of fun before they all headed home in the early hours of the morning.

 

XxXxX

 

Yoongi looked at Jungkook as he smiled to the patient and joked with them. He was cleaning up a long gash on the man's arm to ready it for suturing. Which he would be doing. He had the training for it. The young man had danced last night with Yoongi and the doctor was now a little confused. He had been for a while, but last night at Fire had brought everything up all in one go and Yoongi was unsure of what he should do.

 

“I’ll leave you to it Jungkook,” Yoongi said to the nurse.

 

“All right,” Jungkook said as he looked over his shoulder, smiling at the man as he went back to the patient and began telling him about the time he had fallen over while skating and cutting up his own arm.

 

Yoongi closed the curtain of the cubicle behind him and began to walk around the A&E. He needed to talk to someone before he burst. He knew he could talk to anyone of his friends. He closed his eyes and began looking for one person in particular. He waved to Taehyung and Jimin as they were heading towards the breakroom.

 

“Everything okay?” Jimin asked he could see the small frown on the other doctors face.

 

“Hmm, yeah, everything fine.,” Yoongi nodded to him.

 

“Sure your not suffering from a hangover?” Taehyung grinned.

 

Yoongi glared, “I’m fine,” he reiterated.

 

The two laughed as they carried on towards the break room. Yoongi wasn’t suffering from a hangover, while they had all drank a lot, none of them had to be in until the evening shifts the next day, just about enough time to recover. Yoongi found the man he was after and walked faster towards them. Grabbing an arm he said, “I need to talk to you for a bit, cafeteria.”

 

Namjoon blinked as he was pulled along, he had been heading towards Jin’s office. But if the elder doctor wanted to talk, who was he to say no, “So what's going on?” he asked as they quickly made their way to the cafeteria.

 

Yoongi said nothing until they entered and grabbed some tea. It was only when they were seated when he actually said something. “Just need to talk.”

 

“What about?” he asked, sitting there waiting for Yoongi to say something as they slowly drank their coffee.

 

Yoongi sighed, looking out of the window they were sitting next to, “Jungkook, from the first moment I met him I felt drawn to him. I’ve put it aside since I knew he was in a relationship. But last night…” he trailed off.

 

“Last night the two of you were dancing close enough that if you were a heteroual couple a pregnancy would have happened,” Namjoon said bluntly.

 

Yoongi went red, his mind going back to their night out. There was a lot of grinding going on as they had danced together. He blinked as fingers snapped in front of his face, “Sorry,” he said, facing taking on a deeper shade of red.

 

“Right, mind out of the gutter, or rather the club,” he said with a roll of his eyes.

 

“Yeah, last night everything came back, everything I’ve been pushing down for the last three months,” Yoongi snorts, “Three months, feels a lot damn longer,” he heaves a sigh.

 

“Okay, so you like him, or is it more than that?” Namjoon asked him, sipping his coffee, watching the emotions flying over his face.

 

Yoongi started at his coffee for a few moments, taking a drink and then answering, “It started off as just a, a crush. But the more I got to know him, working together with him, the more it started going somewhere else. I don't know if it's love, but I think it's getting damn close to it. I…” he closed his eyes, head dropping towards his chest.

 

“What are you going to do?” he asked.

 

“I… I want to ask him out, to get to know him better and see if we could become something more,” Yoongi struggled with the words.

 

Namjoon nodded, “Okay, you know that he has gotten out of a bad relationship, and that’s leaving shadows behind.”

 

“I know, I know all that. He still has nightmares, waking up and screaming. I’ve been there to see them a few times. I’m there to comfort him and talk to him as he thinks that bastard is there waiting in the shadows,” Yoongi said, his voice soft and eyes showing his worry, “I’m helping him as best as I can, and I know that he’s been seeing someone since he was released from the hospital. Taking the advice that you gave him. He is healing, but I know it's going to be a while before he is ready for anything.”

 

“Well, if I was you, I’d wait until after the trial with Jinyoung, let that get out of the way. It will help Jungkook feel that much safer and more in control. He needs a little more time I would say,” Namjoon said as he went over what he had seen of Jungkook since his return to work.

 

“Yeah, yeah I’ll wait, I can do that,” Yoongi took a breath, “Thanks Joonie,” he smiled slightly drinking the last dregs of his coffee. “I better get back.”

 

Namjoon returned the smile, “Okay, and I’m going to see Jin-hyung,” he grinned.

 

Yoongi snorted, “If you’re doing anything, lock the door and disconnect the security cameras,” he smirked.

 

Namjoon pulled up, “I would never-”

 

“I know,” Yoongi grinned widely, “Couldn’t help it.”

 

Namjoon shook his head, taking Yoongi’s mug putting them where they belonged. The two of them left the cafeteria and headed back to A&E.

 

Namjoon shook his head, taking Yoongi’s mug putting them where they belonged. The two of them headed towards the exit of the cafeteria. Namjoon a step behind Yoongi as the man walked without looking where he was going as he was deep in thought of their conversation.