Chapter Eleven

Flatline

Chapter Eleven

 

Seokjin looked at Jungkook as he sat on the chair in front of him. It had been three weeks since he had collapsed in the break room. Yoongi had been keeping him updated as to his recovery, thanks to the young nurse living with the doctor until the trial against Jinyoung was over with. There was plenty of evidence gathered from the apartment, as Jinyoung hadn’t cleaned up after abusing Jungkook the morning of his collapse.

 

“You still have another week Jungkook-ah,” Seokjin said softly, looking at the young man and assessing his recovery as best as he could using what he saw.

 

“I know, but… I just can't take another day of doing nothing. It’s driving me crazy,” he said, shaking his head. “I need something to do, anything?” he asked, almost begging Seokjin for something to do.

 

“That is always the problem with anyone in the medical field,” he chuckled lightly, “They have no patients to recover properly before getting back to work,” he smiled as Jungkook laughed with him.

 

“I just need something to do,” he murmured with a sigh, smile still on his face.

 

“Well, to be honest we can’t really have you here at work for a while. I would let you come back, but you do need to rest a little more. I think we can use you somewhere, maybe in the children's ward, reading stories and such, easy work, but something to do at least,” he suggested. “I know Shin-Woo was talking about having someone come in for a while,” he added.

 

Jungkook brightened, “That, that would be great, I know I need to take it easy still for at least another week or so, but I need this,” his words came out in a rush.

 

“All right, I’ll talk to him and tell him that you’ll be stopping by the Rabbit Ward soon?” he said, though it was more like he was asking him if he was going to go over there straight away.

 

“Yeah, I can go now,” he laughed, a bright smile on his face.

 

“All right, though I do want to ask before you leave, how are things going?” his voice was soft and worried for the young man.

 

Jungkook’s smile dropped from his face, “It’s been… hard. Namjoon hyung, he… he recommended that I see someone. The others have all said I should do so as well,” he answered softly.

 

“That doesn’t tell me how you are?” he asked again, a gentle smile on his face. “Going through what you have won't be easy. I may not have been in the same position as you, but you know we are all here for you?”

 

Jungkook look up, “I know, Yoongi-hyung asked me to stay at his when we found out that Jinyoung wasn’t going to remain behind bars for long. Even Hoseok has made Junghyun-hyung stay with him just in case as well. So far he hasn't shown himself at all, for that I’m thankful. I’ve been scared, so scared at times. But talking has helped a bit, I… I still want to jump half the time, thinking that he might be behind me again, but everyone is doing their best to help. And I need to come back to work, I need to feel… normal again,” he confessed, looking down at his hands.

 

“I’m glad that everyone is helping, and yes, I supposed getting back to work will help you a lot in feeling like you are back in control. So I’ll talk to Shin-Woo and tell him to expect you,” he said as he reached for the phone.

 

“Thank you,” he smiled, “for everything Jin-hyung.”

 

“Don’t you worry, just… come to us if something happens, all right?” he reminded the younger.

 

“I will hyung,” Jungkook nodded, “I’ll head over to Rabbit Ward now,” he said, getting up from his chair.

 

“And I’ll make the call,” Seokjin smiled as he rang Shin-Woo.

 

Jungkook nodded and left the room. Seokjin quickly made the call and smiled as Shin-Woo thanked him several times. Getting up he started to head out of his office, he was going to be working in A&E for the day. He was looking forward to actually being a doctor instead of just sitting around with paper work. His phone began ringing. He sighed and went back to his desk, sitting behind it he answered.

 

“Hello, Doctor Kim Seokjin speaking,” he greeted, waiting for the person on the other end to talk.

 

“Jin-hyung,” came a quietly sobbing voice.

 

“Jiminie?” Seokjin’s eyes went wide as he recognised the voice.

 

“I… Tae…” he began, but couldn’t continue.

 

Seokjin could hear another person crying in the background, “Jiminie, nice deep breath and then slowly let it out and tell me what is going on?” He instructed, he heard Jimin following what he said and waited for the other to speak.

 

“Sooyun mother has withdrawn her decision on letting her daughter be adopted, we… we need a few days off,” he murmured softly, voice shaking.

 

“Oh Jiminie, of course, do you need me to come over?” he asked, eyes filling with tears as he remembered how happy they had been when Sooyun started to live with them.

 

“No, not yet. She’s coming to get Sooyun in half hour. We’ll, I don’t even know,” he said, crying once more as Seokjin could hear the whispered, “It’s okay Tae, I know, I know.”

 

“Jiminie, I’ll come over a little later on with Namjoon all right. I’ll cook for you both, just take care of yourselves until then,” Seokjin said softly, biting his bottom lip.

 

“Okay,” Jimin’s voice sounded small and weak, “Okay,” he repeated, a little stronger this time.

 

“Okay, call me if you need me sooner,” he reminded him.

 

“I… I will,” he said as the call ended with him whispering to Taehyung.

 

Seokjin slumped in his seat, “,” he said, closing his eyes. He didn’t know what he could do to help the couple, he couldn’t even imagine what they were going through. He took a deep breath and got up, he would sort out their shifts for the next few days, making sure they could have time off and that they would face no repercussions for it. He would talk to Namjoon about going over later as well.

 

XxXxX

 

Junghyun was in the middle of a break, he had heard the news about Jimin and Taehyung and his heart went out to them. He wanted to go and see them as well. But Seokjin had advised that they do it in small dribs and drabs instead of all of them going over at once. Opening his locker to grab his coat, a cream coloured envelope dropped to the floor. He gave a small smile, Hoseok had put little letters in his locker occasionally, little notes to tell him that he loved him and hoping he was having a nice day.

 

Junghyun thought nothing of it as he picked it up, frowning a little as it weighed a little more than normal. “Another love letter?” Yoongi asked as he walked into the room and saw the envelope in the receptionist's hands.

 

“Yeah,” Junghyun smiled, an adoring look on his face.

 

“Saps,” he snorted, but the amusement came through easily.

 

“Better to be saps than nothing,” Junghyun said s he opened the envelope and put his hand inside to pull out the love letter. “Argh!” he yelled, hand pulling back quickly as he dropped the envelop, small blades falling out of it.

 

Yoongi rushed over, taking hold of the hand and winced as he saw almost a dozen small cuts on the fingers, “Okay, I think we should get this cleaned and covered,” he told him.

 

“Who would do that?” Junghyun said, eyes wide as he looked towards the envelope and blades that were on the floor.

 

“I don’t know, but I think from now on you need to check to make sure there isn’t anything like that in them from now on,” he added, a bad feeling in the pit of his stomach as he thought about the blades.

 

“Do you think it might have been Jinyoung?” Junghyun whispered as Yoongi led the way out of the room and towards one of the empty cubicles.

 

“I don’t know, but we can always talk to the police about it,” Yoongi said, though he wondered if it was him as well. The man knew where the brother worked. But he don’t think he would know the locker that Junghyun used. He got Junghyun to sit down and began to examine the cuts. “They’re not deep, but lets clean them up and cover them.”

 

“Thanks, I’ll call the police,” he sighed, “I don’t know if I want Jungkook to know what happened though.”

 

“Okay, we can do that,” Yoongi nodded, “I’ll go and make sure the blades are taken care of,” he said as he got up and stepped out, seeing Namjoon he quickly told him what had happened and to make sure that the blades and envelope were put in a safe place for the police when they arrived.

 

Yoongi walked back in with a small medical kit to take care of Jonghyun's cuts and started to clean them, “You know he is going to ask,” he said softly as Junghyun hissed at the sharp pain that came from the cuts as they were cleaned.

 

“Yeah I know,” he murmured, “I don't have a clue what I’m going to tell him, but I’ll think of something,” he said, grimacing a little as the last of them were cleaned.

 

Yoongi nodded, “Okay, I’m just going to bandage these up, they should be okay after a while,” he said looking up at him.

 

“Thanks,” he smiled at him.

 

Yoongi nodded and finished bandaging the small cuts up, making sure that they were secured and not hanging lose. It seemed a little excessive to him, but bandaids wouldn’t really help in this case. The two got up and cleaned the cubicle before Junghyun called the officers in charge of Jungkook’s case to tell them what had happened.

 

XxXxX

 

Jin glanced at Namjoon as they sat in the car outside of Jimin and Taehyung’s house. It was a little larger than Jin’s home, in a nice neighbourhood. The consultant surgeon could remember the two yelling and shouting in joy when they had been able to get house after saving for years. Taking a moment to gather their thoughts they got out of the car and made their way to the front door. Jin raised a hand and knocked on it.

 

The door slowly opened a moment later, Taehyung’s head popped around it. His eyes were red-rimmed, fresh tear tracks on his face. Jin took one look at him and handed the bag of groceries to Namjoon and went to the young nurse and pulled him into his arms. Holding him tightly he let the other cry in his arms, “Oh Taetae,” he whispered softly.

 

Namjoon stood there, watching the two, not noticing Jimin coming into the corridor behind Taehyung. “You… you should come in,” he said softly.

 

Jin slowly let Taehyung go. Glancing over to Jimin he walked further into the home and walked over to the young doctor. Once more he opened his arms and took Jimin into them. Holding him close, “How are you both?” he asked, his voice gentle and full of worry.

 

“We’re… we’re coping,” Jimin mumbled into his friend's shoulder.

 

“Come on and let's have some tea,” he said as he let Jimin go and grabbed Taehyung’s hand, dragging the two of them through the house and into the spacious living room. He could see some of Sooyun's things still around the living room.

 

“Sorry,” Jimin said, moving away from Jin, “We… we haven’t tidied up yet,” he said, starting to grab the clothes that had been washed and dried and started to fold them. They would be sent to the mother over the next couple of days.

 

“Don’t you worry about that,” Jin said with a soft smile as he started to help him tidy up.

 

Taehyung and Namjoon stood back for a moment, “Tae, can I put these in your kitchen and then you can help me make some tea,” he said to the young nurse.

 

Taehyung was quiet, but nodded. Namjoon followed him, putting things away as Taehyung started absently at the kettle as it boiled. Namjoon looked at him. Walking over he turned him around, seeing the tears rolling down his pale face. Taehyung looked up at his hyung and burst into sobs as he was wrapped up in Namjoon’s strong arms.

 

“What happened?” he asked, he had heard the gist of what was going on but nothing more.

 

“Kyung-Soon got in contact with the agency a week ago, saying that she had changed her mind. The agency went through interviews to make sure that she was serious about becoming a parent to Sooyun. We were warned, but we were told to carry on as normal, not to disturb her routine,” he said, voice shaking as he tried to pull back to wipe his tears away.

 

“Why didn’t you tell us this was going on?” he asked looking down at him.

 

“We… we didn’t know how to,” he said, “We were hoping she would change her mind again. But she didn’t and we had to say goodbye,” he leaned against Namjoon again.

 

“I’m sorry Tae,” he said softly, holding him close once more, “Let’s get that tea done for us all and the lets let Jin loose in the kitchen to make us something to eat,” he added, letting him go.

 

Taehyung nodded, “Yeah,” he said softly as Namjoon took over making the tea. Grabbing a mug,  he froze when it broke.

 

“God of destruction strikes again,” Taehyung gave a watery laugh as the mug detached from the handle and fell to the counter.

 

Namjoon smiled and laughed a little.

 

XxXxX

 

Jin heard the quiet laughter coming from the kitchen and looked at Jimin as he folded the last of the clothing and Jin out the last of the toys into a box. Jimin fell to the floor, clutching the small blue dress. Seokjin went over and joined him, pulling him closer, rocking him. Jimin cried for a few moments.

 

“I… I know that it's a good thing. But… it still hurts like hell hyung. It hurts so much. Sooyun was our daughter for two and a half months and I love her, we love her, and I know its hard for this. But… but for a while she was ours,” he said, breaking down again, clinging to Jin.

 

“And you will grieve her lose even though you know she is with her mother. It would kill me to say goodbye to Seungjae, I can’t even imagine it without my heart freezing in fear in my chest,” he murmured.

 

“We asked if we could keep in touch,” Taehyung said as he and Namjoon walked in with the tea.

 

“You did?” Jin asked as he looked at the two of them.

 

“Yeah,” Jimin nodded, pulling away from Jin and looked towards Taehyung, “We asked, but Kyung-soon said no, she was advised to not let us have anything to with her or Sooyun, so we can't see her, or talk with her. We have to give the clothes and toys we had for her to the agency.”

 

“You’re not allowed to see Sooyun at all?” Jin asked as he took his mug from Namjoon and settled on the floor Namjoon joining him.

 

“Not at all, I think that is what's hurting us the most, that we’re not allowed to see her again. I don't mind if we are only passers-by, but we can still see her grow,” Taehyung spoke softly.

 

“It’s going to be hard,” Namjoon said, “You are going to grieve the loss of your daughter.”

 

“We know,” Jimin said as he reached out and took Taehyung’s hand in his, “We already are.”

 

“We’re here for you both. Anytime you want to talk just call me, you know I’m always available,” Namjoon told the two of them.

 

Jimin and Taehyung shared a look, Taehyung turned to Namjoon, “We know hyung, you’re always there for us. You talked to us when we first made the decision to try and adopt, you even warned us about this happening. We were prepared for it, but we both wish it didn’t happen. All we can do is hope Sooyun has a wonderful life with her mother and birth family. And maybe, one day we’ll try and adopt again,” he said, voice shaking as he gripped Jimin’s hand tightly in his.

 

“I’ve given you the rest of the week off,” Jin told the two of them.

 

“Thank you,” Jimin nodded, “I… we don’t think we’ll be away from work long. It… it might be best to get back to work sooner rather than later.”

 

Jin nodded, hearing something similar that morning from Jungkook, “All right, but know that the offer for the week is there if you need it, take it. Now, I’m going to start dinner,” he added drinking some of the hot liquid.

 

“I don't think I’ve eaten all day,” Taehyung said softly.

 

“Then you need something good to eat, and I have just the thing,” Jin smiled at them, getting up, taking his tea with him he headed into the kitchen and started to cook for them all.