Chapter Four

Flatline

Chapter Four

 

Seokjin smiled as he went back to his paperwork. The door closed behind Namjoon as he left, the two had finished making date plans once again. Their last date had to be cancelled when Mi-So had brought Seungjae to his home a few days early. Now once more Seungjae was spending the weekend with his mother and Seokjin was finally free to go on their cancelled date. He was looking forward to finishing work.

 

Seokjin looked up when someone knocked on his door, "Come in," he called, smile still on his face.

 

"Hey Hyung," Jimin said as he walked in, "Just want to drop off the paperwork to you," he added, walking over to the desk and placing the folders down.

 

"Now if only Yoongi was quick at getting all the paperwork in," he joked, eyes alight as he thought of the younger doctor.

 

"Yeah," Jimin laughed, Yoongi was well known in the hospital to hand paperwork over late, but mainly because he was always dealing with the patients first before the paperwork that he had to do. Jimin watched the older man for a moment, "You seem really happy today?" he asked, wondering if he could find out the reason.

 

Seokjin's smile widened, "I am, Seungjae is with his mother tonight. So I had a free night-"

 

"Oh, want to go out tonight?" he asked, smiling widely, his eyes disappearing a little at the thought of getting everyone together again. It wasn't often that they could all go out. He also knew that while Seungjae was home with Seokjin, the elder didn't like leaving him with a babysitter often.

 

"I... erm..." Seokjin wondered if he should say something.

 

"What?" Jimin said, sitting down on a chair and leaning forward, "spill hyung!"

 

Seokjin sighed, "Well, we didn't want people knowing just yet," he started, "So, can you please keep it to yourself for a bit?" he asked, looking over at Jimin.

 

"What about Tae, you know we don't keep secrets from each other," Jimin reminded him. It was one thing that the husbands had promised each other, that there would be no secrets between them.

 

"I know, you can tell him, but make sure he knows he isn't to say a word to anyone," Seokjin warned him.

 

"Okay, so what is it you're hiding?" he said, "or rather, who?"

 

"Namjoon and I have been dating for the last two years," he said.

 

"Oh!" Jimin exclaimed, hands covering his mouth, "Really?!"

 

Seokjin chuckled, "Yeah, we... we decided to give things a try. Whenever we have a chance we go out together. And he has come with me when I take Seungjae to places as well. Though Seungjae doesn't know that we are actually dating, he thinks Namjoon is just a friend. We're waiting a little longer to tell him."

 

"That's wonderful, do Seungjae and Joonie hyung get along?" he asked, settling down to quiz his friend. He had a feeling that the two were dating, but he didn’t think it had been for that long.

 

"Yeah, Namjoon is really good with him, it's so cute to watch," he grinned, he was happy that he had someone he could talk to. He didn't know if Namjoon would be happy about him telling Jimin, and by extension Taehyung.

 

"You'll have to get some video, I really need to see this," Jimin grinned, "Congratulations to you both, so the night out tonight is going to be with Joonie hyung then?" he asked.

 

Seokjin nodded, "Yeah, we're going for a movie and a meal. Cliche I know, but there is a film I've been wanting to watch that came out last week, and there is no way I will be going alone to see it."

 

Jimin smirked, "Ah, scary film?" he asked.

 

"Nooo," Seokjin protested, trying to look innocent of the lie he was telling.

 

Jimin laughed, "Scary film, then."

 

"Fine, yes it is. But Joonie is coming with me, we watched the first and second one a few weeks ago. And now the prequel is out for it, well, we have to go and see it," he said.

 

"Well, I hope you have a lot of fun together, and Hyung," he said as he got up, "Sometimes the cliches dates are best."

 

Seokjin smiled as Jimin walked out. Grabbing the files that Jimin handed him, reports on the staff that Jimin managed, "Now if only I had Yoongi's, I could get most of this done tonight," he murmured as he began to look through the staff reports.

 

XxXxX

 

Seokjin leaned back in his chair, he had finished going through Jimin's reports and put them to the side. Pulling his own back towards him he looked up when the door opened. Seokjin bit back a sigh as he saw who it was.

 

"Seokjin," Mi-So greeted, behind her walked Seungjae.

 

"Appa!" he yelled out, happy to see his dad. He ran around the desk.

 

Seokjin moved so the seven-year-old could climb onto his lap.

 

"I need to go out," Mi-So said.

 

"You need or want?" Seokjin asked her, his tone slightly colder.

 

"Dae-Bong and I are going out tonight, I don't need Seungjae around," Mi-So said, her own voice taking a colder tone that Seokjin's.

 

With eyes narrowed, "Fine, do not expect him to be staying with you over the next week," he said, not wishing to put his son through being abandoned by his mother whenever the new boyfriend wanted to take her out.

 

"I'll see him the week after," she said, turning to look at her son, she put a smile on her face. While the smile fooled Seungjae, Seokjin could tell that it was forced, "Seungjae, I'll see you soon."

 

"Love you eomma," Seungjae said, getting down from his father's lap and heading to his mother. Hugging her around her waist.

 

Mi-So looked down, a hand on his head, "See you soon." She repeated as she then moved away from the seven-year-old and walked out of the door.

 

Seokjin closed his eyes and shook his head, "Seungjae, did you bring something with you to do while you’re here? I still have some work to do," he said softly as his son stood in the middle of the room, looking at the newly closed door.

 

Seungjae turned, a heartbroken look on his face, "Does eomma still love me?" he asked, his voice trembling.

 

Seokjin opened his arms and waited for his son to enter them, enveloping him in a warm hug, "Of course she does," he said, even though he wasn't sure that was the case anymore. Over the last few months since she met Dae-Bong, the number of times she actually said to Seungjae that she loved him had become less and less.

 

"You... you sure?" he asked, tears already falling as he curled in his father warm embrace.

 

Seokjin nodded, "Yes."

 

Seungjae nodded, "Okay."

 

Seokjin held him and rocked him for a while. It looked like he would have to cancel his date with Namjoon once more. He was disappointed, but he knew that Namjoon would understand. He could get his neighbour to babysit again, but he could see how upset his son was with his mother leaving him once again.

 

"What do you think of coming around with me?" Seokjin asked a smile on his face and trying to sound exciting. He needed to talk to Namjoon and remind Yoongi that the staff reports needed to be handed in before the weekend was over. He knew how bored Seungjae could get if he was confined to the room for too long.

 

Seungjae brightened, "Really? I can help?" he asked.

 

"Yes, of course. We have to talk with Doctor Joonie, and Doctor Yoongichi," Seokjin grinned, getting up and setting Seungjae onto his feet.

 

"Okay," he grinned, taking off his bag and putting it on his dad's chair.

 

Seokjin went to the door and held out his hand, "Come on then," he smiled, taking Seungjae's hand and leading him out of the room, and through the confusing hallways of the hospital towards the A&E department. His office was above it, though he spent as much time working in A&E as he could.

 

Seokjin smiled, stopping when he saw Namjoon talking to the new nurse, Jungkook. Well, he wasn't so new now, it had been almost two months since the young man had joined them. He was a hard worker, and he was looking forward to reading Yoongi's report on him and his abilities.

 

"Doctor Joonie!" Seungjae called out, causing the psychiatrist to glance over and smile as he saw the two.

 

"Jae," Namjoon greeted the child as Seungjae let go of his dad's hand to run to the other, "Now this is a nice surprise to see the mini doctor here," he greeted as he knelt down to hug the child.

 

"Appa said that we needed to talk with you and then to doctor Yoongichi," he grinned.

 

"Really," Namjoon said, trying to keep the burst of laughter at hearing the nickname that Seokjin had used for the grumpy doctor coming from the seven-year-old.

 

"Yep," he nodded.

 

Namjoon stood up as Seungjae waved to the nurse that was passing by, he knew most of them as he had been dropped off at the hospital a number of times in the past couple of months. "Everything okay?" Namjoon asked, looking a little concerned at the small hesitant look on Seokjin’s face.

 

"Looks like I may have to cancel again," Seokjin said softly, not wanting Seungjae to overhear.

 

"Of course," Namjoon smiled, he was a little disappointed, but he understood that Seungjae came first, “She left him?” he quickly asked, voice quiet

 

Seokjin stood there for a moment, he could see the disappointment, he nodded in answer, "How about you come over and I cook tonight?" he asked.

 

Namjoon looked up, "We don't have to do anything if you don't want to. I understand about Sungjae, he comes first. I know that."

 

Seokjin smiled softly, "I know you do, but it doesn't mean that it's right that I keep cancelling our plans all the time. I... I was really looking forward to tonight as well, but we can always make it another day this week. While I have Seungjae until next weekend at least, I can always get a babysitter."

 

"Yeah, that will be okay," he nodded. He wondered why Seokjin didn't offer to get a babysitter for tonight, but he would talk to him and ask him later.

 

"Okay, I'll talk to you later, and sorry about tonight, Seungjae was really upset about his mother just leaving him again. I didn't want him alone tonight," he said softly, placing a hand on his arm, "Thank you."

 

Namjoon smiled, getting the answer to his unasked question in that one line, he replied, " Don't worry."

 

Seokjin nodded, part of him wanted to move closer and kiss him, but in the middle of A&E it wouldn't be a good idea. "See you later," he said and then walked to Seungjae, who was talking to one of the nurses. "Come on Seungjae, we need to go and find Doctor Yoongichi," he said, holding out his hand.

 

"Okay appa," he said, rushing towards him and taking hold of his hand. "Bye doctor Joonie!" he called out as they walked down the corridor and towards the break room.

 

"Bye Jae! See you later Jin hyung," he replied waving to the two of them.

 

"We going to find Doctor Yoongichi?" Seungjae asked as they reached the break room.

 

"We are," he smiled, "But I think we should remain here and wait for him. Maybe Doctor Jiminie has brought in some chocolate biscuits again?" he suggested as they walked inside.

 

"Hey," Jimin said as he walked behind them, "I did bring some, want to share with me?" he asked, smiling down at Seungjae.

 

"Please!" he grinned.

 

Jimin went over to his locker and pulled out a new packet of biscuits, "Here we go," he grinned back, putting a few on a plate and getting a glass of juice for him.

 

"Thank you Doctor Jiminie," Seungjae said as he sat down on a chair.

 

"Thank you Jiminie," Seokjin smiled.

 

"What's going on?" Jimin asked quietly as they stood at the back of the breakroom.

 

Seokjin quickly gave him a rundown of what Mi-So had done, and how Seungjae had reacted when she left. "At least Namjoon is okay with coming over for dinner," he sighed.

 

"We-" Jimin began, only to be cut off when the door to the break room flung open and a wide-eyed Taehyung stood there, looking half scared and half excited as he stared at Jimin. "Tae?" he asked.

 

"C... call," he blinked, still trying to make sense.

 

"What call?" he asked, pulling the young nurse into the room.

 

"Adoption agency," he said, taking a shaky breath, "They have a two-month-old baby girl, the mother is giving her up," he was shaking, he couldn't believe it was happening.

 

"Really?" Jimin said, eyes wide and hopeful.

 

Taehyung nodded, "Yeah, we are to go to the agency and pick her up tonight. She needs a home, we... we have nothing?" he asked, trying to think of the things that they had brought just in case.

 

"We have a lot, we made need some diapers that fit and milk for her, but we should have a lot of what's needed," Jimin said, reassuring his husband that everything would be all right.

 

"Okay," he said with a nod, "We.. what else do we need to do?" he asked, feeling a little out of sorts as he tried to remember what they needed.

 

"Well, I can only put you on different shifts, and change it up so you can both spend time with her," Seokjin said as he went through the roster for the next week. "I can then change it for next week so I can give you some proper time off to be with her. We're a little short in A&E," he grimaced, not liking the fact that he couldn't let them go straight away. "Taehyung, you can go early if you need to sort things out," he said as he looked to the younger.

 

"See, I'll give you a list of the things that we might need and you can do that, I'll call up the agency while you get yourself ready to see what we might need for her," Jimin told him, hugging him tightly for a moment.

 

Taehyung nodded, "Yeah okay," he said, calming himself down as he began to get ready to leave.

 

Seokjin went over to Seungjae and sat down next to him. He let the two of them talk and get themselves ready to go. Talking with Seungjae he remained there as they left and Yoongi finally came in for his break so he could remind him about the staff reports he needed.