Chapter Twenty Two

Flatline

Chapter Twenty Two

Jimin was spending some time with Tae-Seok. Taehyung was still working in A&E. But Jimin had a small break and wanted to spend a little time with his new son, the baby would finally be allowed to go home in another three days. Jimin still felt a little off when he walked in and didn’t see Tae-Hee waiting for them. She had passed away a week ago, falling into a coma a few days before that. Jimin and Taehyung had three boxes of letters and pictures and things that they could give to Tae-Seok as he grew up, from his mother. 

“How is he?” Jimin asked the nurse that was tending to him.

“He is doing really well, he’s on low oxygen and his lungs seem to have developed enough to go without it. So you won't have to wean him off it at home. We’re going to be trying it here over the next couple of days,” she answered a smile on her face.

“That's great news, is it all right if I hold him for a little bit. I’m a bit of a break from work at the moment,” he added.

“Of course,” she told him, letting him sit in the nearby char and carefully transferring the baby boy over, only an IV and the oxygen tube were not attached to Tae-Seok.

The nurse smiled as she heard Jimin start talking to the baby boy, telling him about the home he would soon be living in.

XxXxX

Namjoon stood up from the sofa in Jin’s office, “Okay, Are you sure that’s what you want for lunch?” he asked again, he was prepared to go out of the hospital to get food.

“Yes, I’m sure. I know you would rather have something from outside today. And I’m sorry for not being able to make lunch for the both of us,” Jin apologised again, giving a little sigh.

“It’s fine, we’ve been working hard in packing all my things up to move in with you and Seungjae,” he smiled, “You’re tired, and I did try,” he said as he looked down at his own pathetic attempts at doing their lunch. He was just glad that Jin had thought to do Seungjae's up before their own. 

“I know, but honestly Namjoon, I don't know how you survived without knowing how to cook properly, he joked, a smile on his face.

Namjoon laughed, rubbing the back of his head in embarrassment, “Yeah I know. But I can cook, I think I was just as tired as you were last night,” he grinned softly.

“Yeah, now go and get us some food. I need it, I can’t believe they want me to go over the rosters for the surgical team as well. They are asking for a second opinion on the quarterly staff reports,” he complained, pouting a little, he had just finished those for the ones that worked in A&E.

“I feel for you, always nice to know that you’re making sure we’re all doing well in our work,” he smiled to him as he left the room and headed towards the cafeteria in search of food for himself and Jin.

XxXxX

Taehyung nodded at the doctor as he walked out. He hated not working with Jimin, though recently with Tae-Seok around they had taken to working with others so one of them could go and visit with him. They were both scheduled to have some paternity time starting in two days, and then two days after that, they would be able to bring Tae-Seok home. He was excited, the two had been looking into what would be needed and with Jin’s help, they had brought a lot of it. Grateful that they had saved quite a bit over the years.

“Okay,” Taehyung said as he smiled at the six-year-old little boy that he was treating, “Let’s get that arm of yours all plastered up,” he grinned, “Now, this is a very important question,” he said as he brought the trolly into sight. Which colour would you like?”

“Blue,” he said with a grin, there were still dried tear tracks on his face, but he didn’t look like he was in that much pain after the small shot he had been given.

“Okay, blue it is,” Taehyung grinned as he began his work.

“Will I be able to draw on it?” the child asked.

“Not for a little while, but then you should be able to. I bet your friends will really like to draw things on there. So you can look at them and know they want you to get better fast.” Taehyung said as he began to put the bandages on first that would be there to help support the arm as the breaks healed.

“Yeah,” he grinned as he looked up at his mother that had come with him, “Eomma,” he said, “They can draw on it.”

“I know, that will be really nice with all the writing and pictures you'll have on it,” she said, running her fingers through his hair.

Taehyung smiled and carried on with his work, listening in as the mother talked to her son in gently whispers.

XxXxX

Jungkook and Yoongi walked into one of the storerooms near the Trauma unit. They had run out of a number of things. Usually, they would ask an orderly to come and refill things, but things had been a little hectic over the last few hours. A number of emergencies had come and gone and the two of them and a number of others had been doing it all. Jin had been with them until twenty minutes ago when he had been asked to go over some paperwork before lunch was over.

“I can’t believe we have to do this,” Yoongi complained, though he wasn’t too bothered by it. It would give the two of them a little break before they were rushed off their feet again.

“Oh well, it can't be helped,” Jungkook said with a roll of his eyes as he looked around the shelves. There were so many things there, a box which had a number of scissors in and then the shelves that went right to the ceiling. Jungkook looked around and found some ladders they could use to look at the things they need to refill on.

“Okay,” Yoongi said as he glanced around, trying to remember where everything was. It had been a while since he had been in here. It wasn’t something they did most of the time. But with the orderlies trying to clean up trauma and rush around the rest of the place stocking up and getting patients to their wards, well, sometimes the doctors and nurses would also pitch in to help. “Here,” he finally said as he saw what he was after.

Jungkook pulled the ladder over and climbed up. Yoongi keeping hold of it, even though it was a freestanding one. He didn’t trust it not to go over. He pulled down the box they needed, handing it to Yoongi as he climbed back down. “Right, we’ll leave it near the door,” he said as he took it back and placed it on a desk near the door to the room.

“Good idea,” Yoongi smiled as they went back and started searching for the other four things that they needed.

“So, want to go to a movie tonight?” Jungkook asked casually, “It's a horror.”

Yoongi give it a little thought, “Why not, which one is it?” he asked him, watching as Jungkook was climbing again.

“One of those paranormal ones, can’t remember the title at the moment, I heard a few things about it. Don't know if it will actually be scary, but we could give it a try,” Jungkook gave him a grin as he looked down at him.

“Really, you can't remember?” he asked him, eyebrow raised.

“I can’t, I know Tae mentioned it yesterday, so you might have to ask him,” he grinned.

“All right, well, I suppose we can still go,” Yoongi said with a shake of his head.

“Good,” Jungkook smiled widely.

Yoongi smiled back as he made his way to the ground, they shared a quick kiss before getting back to work. Both of them looking forward to a night out again.

XxXxX

Junghyun sat at reception, it had been a long day already and it wasn’t even halfway through yet. He wanted a break, but so far he hadn’t been able to get a chance to even get himself a cup of coffee. He really wanted to leave and get on. Someone came up to the desk, “Junghyun-ah,” came a sweet voice.

“Oh, Hei-Ran, how are you?” he asked her, smiling at the woman as she stood before reception.

“Oh, I heard Hoseok was back and wanted to see you, he’s got something for you,” she told him, smiling back at him.

“Oh, well, I really can’t leave here,” he said looking around at the number of people around him.

“That's okay, I already asked Ye-Eun to take over for you,” she told him, “Come on, he told me to take you there,” she told him as Ye-Eun walked over and smiled.

“You sure your okay to do this, I know you work in a different area,” he asked her.

“It’s okay, I’ve worked A&E reception before, I know what to do,” she told him, “Now go and enjoy whatever it is that Hoseok-oppa has planned for you,” she smiled, giving him a teasing wink.

Junghyun smiled and got up, he wondered if he had the chance to get something to drink on the way back. Or if Hoseok had planned for that as well. He followed Hei-Ran to another area and looked around. It was just beyond a few to the cubicles, “Is he here?” he asked.

Hei-Ran turned around and glared at him, “No, but I thought this would be the perfect place to have a good talk to you about Hoseok,” she told him.

Junghyun stood up straight, “What do you mean?”

“You stole him from me, I thought the blades would scare you and the note with them, but that didn’t work, none of the notes worked either. You just threw them away,” she growled at him.

“It was you?” he frowned, he had thought all the notes and the blades had been from Jinyoung, warning him to keep away from his brother. That he would get him back. The had stopped the day that Jinyoung had been sentenced, so he had thought nothing of it after then.

“Yes, it was me, I want you to stay away from Hoseok. He’s supposed to go out with me, I started all those rumours about him being a playboy just to make sure no one else would get with him. And then you come around and things up,” she yelled.

Junghyun shook his head, “You… do you know how much those ing rumours hurt Hoseok? Do you know he hated coming to work sometimes because people would mention it to him all the time? I took a chance to see beyond those and found a man that is kind, compassionate and funny. You… as far as I am concerned, tried to ruin that for him. Tried to drive him away from his job.”

“I did it for him!” she shouted at him, trying to defend her actions.

“No you did it for yourself,” he told her bluntly. “You wanted someone that isn’t yours if he ever finds out about this, then your friendship will be fully over. At the moment the rumours are leaving. If I was you, transfer to another hospital, because if I see you again, I might hurt you after all the pain you caused Hoseok.”

“He was to be mine,” she tried once more, sounding more and more like a whiny child.

“He never was, he’s told you he is gay, you’re a woman, he wouldn’t go out with you even if you were the only other person around,” he told her, “You’ve also hurt him, with what you’ve done. I don't care what you did with me, but him, you hurt someone so precious and almost drove him to quit working here,” he said softly.

“But-”

“But nothing, you did everything for your own selfish desires and anyone that got hurt in the process. Which so far it's just me and Hoseok, I hope you can live with yourself with what you’ve done,” he told her as he turned around and began to leave. He could hear her crying behind him and he hoped he got through to her. He really didn't want to deal with her again or have her anywhere near Hoseok. He walked towards reception once more.

XxXxX

Hoseok stretched as he finished loading up the ambulance again. Ready for when they were called out again.  He was a little tired and he wondered if he could take a small break before the next call came in. Jisoo came up behind him and placed her hands on his shoulders.

“Argh!” he yelled out, almost falling to the floor in fright.

“You are sooo easy to scare,” she laughed at him.

“I can’t help it,” he pouted straightening himself up, “Now, I think I’m going to ask if Junghyun wants to come on a break with me,” he smiled as he headed towards the main entrance of the hospital.

“Have fun!” Jisoo called out to him.

He was nearing the doors as five very loud bangs happened in quick succession. Something unseen knocked Hoseok from his feet, letting him land on the ground with a heavy thud.