Chapter Nineteen

Flatline

Chapter Nineteen

Five days, that was how long they had been able to keep it up. Five days and two small dates were how long Jungkook and Yoongi had to get to know each other. It was the second date that Junghyun had found out. A movie and a meal. The end of the meal Jungkook and Yoongi were innocently walking out of the restaurant, hand in hand, talking animatedly with each other when Hoseok and Junghyun walked out of a restaurant two doors down and turned towards the two.

Hoseok went pale as he saw them, he glanced at Junghyun and was about to try and grab him before he spotted them, but it was too late. Junghyun was already stalking towards them. “Junghyun,” Hoseok called after him.

Jungkook and Yoongi both looked up at the call, “Hyung,” Jungkook called out, a smile on his face.

“Jungkook,” he greeted his brother and then turned to Yoongi, glaring at the doctor.

“Junghyun-ah,” Yoongi greeted him, keeping his voice friendly even though he saw the cold look that he was being given.

“Hey,” Hoseok said brightly as he looked between the two of them, “Had a nice night out?” he asked, trying to keep the conversation light.

“It was really nice,” Jungkook said as he glanced towards Yoongi, “It was our second date,” he said shyly as he looked back at his brother.

“Date?” Junghyun asked, his tone a little cold as he waited for his brother to answer him.

“Yeah,” Jungkook smiled, “A date.” He was ignoring the voice that his brother was using, not wanting to let him control what he was doing.

“Why are you dating?” he asked, concern now in his voice, “You-”
 

“Really, that's great you two. I knew that you would suit each other,” Hoseok was the one that had cut him off. He knew exactly what Junghyun was going to say, and he didn’t think it was a good idea for him to bring up Jinyoung so soon after things had finally settled down for the young nurse.

“Well we’re seeing about that,” Jungkook said shyly, he couldn’t help it. He was still wondering what was going on half the time when he thought about their first date together. He was still a little shy, but he and Yoongi had been talking that little bit more, getting to know each other on a different level than when he had been staying with the doctor.

“That's good,” Hoseok smiled, placing a hand on Junghyun’s arm, “Come on, I promised we’d go for a walk in the park before I take you home,” he said as he began to pull Junghyun along with him. Leaving the other two on their date.

Junghyun went with him, mind still on Jungkook and the fact that he was starting to see Yoongi. “You knew?” he accused, eyes narrowed and glaring at the paramedic, “You knew they were seeing each other. You weren’t even surprised when you saw them together.”

Hoseok winced, he could hear the betrayal that Junghyun felt in his voice as he spoke. “I did,” he confessed softly, “It’s only been a few days and Jungkook needs to do this for himself. He can’t always have you there to chase people away from him. He-”

“You had no right to keep me from knowing what was going on in my brother's life,” he hissed pulling away from Hoseok.

“Junghyun, please listen,” he asked, almost begging him to not run off.

“Why should I. You know what he went through, and you think it's a good idea for him to start dating already?” Junghyun asked him, eyes narrowed in anger.

“Yes, I know what he as gone through, may not know all the details. But I know he’s been badly hurt. I also know that Jungkook has stayed with Yoongi for a while before Jinyoung changed his plea to guilty. Yoongi talked about those days you know, said that Jungkook would have nightmares and all he wanted to do was to know of a way to help him. And this, this isn’t just some silly idea that Yoongi has. He actually likes Jungkook and did before he knew what was going on with that bastard. Okay. Yoongi isn’t going to hurt him,” he answered him, “Jungkook can’t hide away from the world and you can't always be there to protect him.”

Junghyun reared back at those last words, “I know I can’t. Don’t you think I feel like a ing failure already when I think of him being hurt and me not doing anything, not even knowing until Yoongi-hyung came to me and told me what he suspected was happening?”

Hoseok sighed and went towards him, wrapping his arms around him he pulled the younger man into his arms and held him, “There is nothing for you to feel like a failure about. Jungkook hid what was going on, as many do in his situation. As soon as you knew you started doing something. You watched him, was there when he was hurt and did your best to subtly let him know that you knew something was wrong and that he could go to you.”

“It never feels like I have done enough,” Junghyun said as he finally relaxed in the familiar arms.

“You need to let Jungkook get back into things himself, otherwise he could shut himself away, and we don't want that to happen to him. We don't want him to always be alone, too afraid to trust his heart to someone again. I know that things are new between the two of them. But I really think that they would be good for each other. You know how closed off Yoongi can be, Jungkook will help him open up with people more, and Yoongi will treat Jungkook how he is supposed to be treated, as a young man that should be treasured,” Hoseok told him softly.

Junghyun closed his eyes and rested against him for a moment before moving back. Hoseok smiled down at him, being slightly taller than the younger man. He leaned down and kissed him. Junghyun smiled and the two of them carried on with their night out. Though Junghyun was thinking mostly about what Hoseok said as the subject changed to other things.

XxXxX

Junghyun was waiting near the break room during every free moment he had from the reception desk. He was waiting for Yoongi to stop by so he could talk to him. It was the third time he had now come to the break room and finally, Yoongi was there as well. He walked over to the coffee pot and poured himself one. Seeing that Yoongi already had one he didn’t bother asking him as he went and sat down.

“Junghyun-ah,” Yoongi greeted softly, “How are you?” he asked.

“Yoongi-hyung,” he greeted back, keeping a civil tongue, even though he wanted nothing more to tear this man apart for going near his baby brother. “I’m all right, not happy with what I learned last night, but that's what I want to talk to you about.”

Yoongi hummed, “Yeah, and what about it?” he asked, “Though if this is to ask me to keep away from him, I’m not going to do that unless Jungkook himself asks me to.”

“Okay, fair,” Junghyun sighed settling on his chair, “All I want to know is what you plan to do?”

“Everything I can to make sure he feels happy and safe when he is with me. And that he always has a smile on his face,” Yoongi said, “Though I know that isn’t always realistic. All I can do is everything I can to make sure he is happy,” he added as he looked at Jonghyun.

Junghyun nodded, “Okay,” he said, still unsure what he should say to the man, “You know what he has been through?”

“Of course, I was there when he collapsed. I’ve been there when the nightmares hit and he couldn’t sleep. I’ve been there when he jumps half a mile because someone comes up behind him and he thinks that bastard is around again,” Yoongi cursed quietly, hands twitching young.

“I just want you to keep all that in mind. I know I haven't been the best big brother around,” he said softly.

Yoongi shook his head, “You’re there for him when he needs you. He loves you Junghyun, you’re his big brother and he knows that he could have gone to you. But he was so scared that you would have been hurt,” he told him, “He talks about it. How close he came to telling you each time he saw you. Every time he came to work, he wanted to say something. Only the fact that Jinyoung had threatened you, stopped him from doing so. Knowing that he knew your address and where you worked made things even scarier for Jungkook.”

The door opened and the two of them went quiet as Hoseok walked into the room, “Hey,” he greeted the two of them, making sure neither of them had killed the other.

“Right,” Yoongi said as he got up, “I think I’m going back to work,” he added, taking his mug and washing it up, leaving it on the side to air dry.

Hoseok looked at Junghyun, seeing the contemplative look on his face, “You okay?” he asked him softly as he went over and sat down on the arm of the chair.

“Yeah,” he said softly, “I still don’t like it, but I can see that he cares about Jungkook.”

Hoseok smile fingers tangling in the hair on the nape of Junghyun’s neck, “That's good that you can see that. I know that Yoongi will make sure he is okay.”

“He cares,” he sighed, “And you’re right, they could be good for each other.”

Hoseok grinned, leaning down, “I like being right occasionally,” he said, kissing him just as the door opened.

“Hey! Hey!” came a complaining voice, “this isn't what I want to see when I come in here!”

“Well, not unless it's me and you Taetae,” Jimin’s voice was clear as the two of them broke apart.

“True, but then we wouldn't be walking in on it,” Taehyung pointed out as the two men glared at them.

“We were having a sweet moment,” Hoseok complained.

“Aww,” Taehyung and Jimin go at the same time, “Tough,” they added.

“If Jimin and I are not allowed to kiss in the break room then it goes for you as well,” Taehyung said.

Jimin nodded, “Exactly,” he smiled as the two went to make themselves something to drink. The rule had come in when the two had been caught kissing several times by Jin and Namjoon. And occasionally Yoongi.

“Fine,” Junghyun said, “I’m going to go and talk with Jungkook. I need to make sure of something.” And with that, he got up Hoseok taking the mug to wash up for him and letting him leave.

“Well, he found out last night,” Hoseok said, giving them a quick rundown of what had happened.

“And he hasn't killed Yoongi-hyung?” Jimin blinked, he had fully expected that to happen, or for the elder doctor to end up in the A&E as a patient.

“Nope,” Hoseok said as his beeper went, “Looks like I’m back at work as well,” he sighed as he headed out of the break room. “Catch you guys later,” he waved almost running from the room.

Jimin and Taehyung looked to the door, a twinkle in their eyes and they leaned closer and chastely kissed each other, just as the door opened and a voice called out. “I thought I told you no kissing in the break room!”