Chapter Eighteen

Flatline

Chapter Eighteen

Jimin and Taehyung waved to the four-year-old that was settled in her mother's arm. A new cast on her arm and already there was a bright drawing of a flower on it, thanks to Taehyung. After he said that a pretty little girl needed to have a pretty little flower on her cast. The two smiled. It had been almost two months since they had said their goodbyes to Sooyun, and while they missed her, they knew that she was doing well at least. They went over to the board to see who else they needed to check up on.

“Hey,” Namjoon said as he placed a hand on their shoulders. A large smile was on his face and the two smiled back.

“What has you so happy?” Jimin asked with a grin.

“Things between Jin and I are going well,” he said, a dreamy smile appearing on his face.

“Oh, and how are things with Seungjae?” Taehyung asked, happy to hear that things were going well.

“He is still a little reluctant to trust me and will try and stop us when we are going on a date. But he’s slowly starting to accept that neither of us is going anywhere,” Namjoon answered softly, “How are the both of you?” he asked.

“We’re good,” Jimin said sharing a look with his husband.

“Yeah, things are going okay. We still miss her, but we know that she is being well taken care of,” Taehyung added.

“Not only that but we have been talking recently as well, just the two of us. We’re thinking of trying again, to adopt. We’ve already talked to the agency that we belong to and they are going to keep an eye out for us,” Jimin then spoke up, a small smile on his face.

“That's good, I know you were so excited when you first started talking about it,” Namjoon smiled back.

Taehyung nodded, “We were and to be fair we still are. Yes, it hurt, but we knew that could happen since before we tried to adopt Soo Yun,” he pointed out. It had been one of the main things that the agency had told them when they were talking about wanting to adopt a child under the age of two.

“Okay, you know what you are getting into,” Namjoon snorted, “I knew that.”

“Oh sorry,” came a voice from around the corner.

Taehyung and Jimin shared a look as they peeked around and grinned. Yoongi was there and Jungkook, who looked red in embarrassment. “Wonder what that was about?” Jimin asked quietly, not wishing to let the two men know that they were there.

“What's going on?” Namjoon asked, keeping his voice quiet as he looked between the backs of the two men.

Taehyung turned around, “I think Jungkook and Yoongi-hyung are having a moment,” he smiled brightly.

Namjoon looked up in interest as he went over and peeked around the corner. If the two had bothered to look their way they would see three heads at different heights looking around the corner of the boards. Watching them.

“I’m really sorry hyung,” Jungkook apologised again.

“Don’t, don't worry about it Kookie,” Yoongi smiled, it was a soft smile.

Jungkook returned it, “Yeah, okay.” He said rubbing the back of his head, “You know,” he began, feeling nervous, “I’ve… I’ve kind of missed staying at yours these last two weeks,” he finished, voice quiet that the three watches almost didn’t hear him.

Yoongi was quiet for a moment, “I’ve missed you being there as well. The place feels… empty without you there.”

Jungkook looked up, “Really?”

Yoongi nodded, “Yeah, I’ve lived alone a long time Jungkook, but having you there was nice, really nice.”

Jungkook smiled that cute little bunny smile of his as he said, “It was really nice.”

“Do you…?” both of them started at the same time, only to break off and laugh a little.

“You go first,” Yoongi said gesturing to him.

“No, hyung, you should go first,” Jungkook prompted him, smiling still.

“No, no, you should Jungkook,” he replied once more.

“No, really hyung, you go first,” he insisted.

“Okay,” he sighed, “I know that things were bad until recently. I know that you might not want to but I… I wanted to ask if you would like to have dinner out with me?” his voice was firm, though those that knew him could hear the nervousness within it.

Namjoon had to clamp hands over Taehyung and Jimin mouths to stop them from yelling out and squealing at what they were hearing. “Quiet and don't ruin this for them,” he warned them in a harsh whisper. He had told them to wait a little while longer before they started any plan to get them together. Knowing that the two would get around to it if they were left alone.

“Dinner? Do you… do you mean like a date?” Jungkook asked, eyes wide and full of hope.

Yoongi blushed, running a hand through his hair, “Yeah, a date. Will you?”

Jungkook stood there for a moment, “Yes, I’d like that,” he smiled brightly.

“Good, how about tomorrow?” he asked, “I’ll pick you up at 6 pm. I know you finish your shift tomorrow at 3 pm and mine ends at 4 pm so…”

“That sounds great,” he said, giving a small giggle and then blushing, “Sorry.”

“Don’t be, it was cute,” Yoongi chuckled lightly.

“Doctor Min you're needed in Trauma!” came a call from another doctor.

“Work calls,” Yoongi sighed as he began to head towards trauma.

“I’ll come,” Jungkook said as the two of them headed back to the trauma room.

Namjoon let go of the two when he felt someone tapping him on the shoulder, “What are you doing?” came a familiar voice.

“Hyung,” Namjoon grinned as he turned around and saw Jin.

“What’s going on?” Hoseok asked from where he stood beside Jin.

“Yoongi asked Jungkook out!” Taehyung squealed a bright smile on his face as he clung onto Jimin’s shoulders.

Hoseok grinned, “Really, he really did it?” he asked, going towards the couple.

Jimin nodded, “Yep, looks like all the plans that we made were all for nothing,” he sighed, pouting.

“Well, we can always use them if they start getting silly with things,” Taehyung said with a grin.

Jimin smiled at him, “Ture, we could,” he chuckled, taking his husband's hand.

“Wow, he actually did it, I never thought he would,” Hoseok smiled, though he couldn't help the small glanced towards the reception area. Junghyun wouldn’t be happy about the development at all.

“So they’re going on a date soon?” Jin asked them all, moving closer to Namjoon.

Namjoon nodded, “Yeah, looks like it. Tomorrow night from what we were able to hear. I think they’re just going out for a meal for now. Let them explore this without all of us trying to interfere.” He then looked at the others who glanced at him, a warning in his eyes.

“What do you mean, interfere, we wouldn’t do something like that?!” Taehyung protested a hand on his chest as though he was trying to clutch his heart, “You wound me my friend, or are you no longer that to me,” he said dramatically, clinging onto Jimin who struggled to keep him standing once more.

“If you don't stop doing that I’m going to let you fall to the floor Taetae,” Jimin warned him, trying to shake him off.

“You would never hurt your husband in such a way Jiminie,” Taehyung said a soft smile as he let more of his weight rest on Jimin.

Jimin thought for a moment, “Hmm,” he said as he then moved, letting Taehyung stumble to the floor, “I would.” He grinned, laughing as he saw the pout on Taehyung's face.

“You are so mean,” Taehyung said, sniffing a little as he fake cried.

“Mean I may be, but I’m not that strong that I can keep you on your feet when you are leaning against me like that. I was going to fall as well. So I took the only option open to me and that was to save myself and let you fall,” he said, as though it was the most logical thing in the world.

“I know you can carry my Jiminie,” Taehyung protested, “You’ve done it before, or do you forget our wedding night,” he grinned as he got up, brushing himself off and winking to his husband.

“That was one time and almost four years ago,” he pointed out.

“Ahhh,” Taehyung sighed happily, “Seems like it was only yesterday,” he smiled as he stepped towards Jimin.

“You know,” Hoseok said as he began to look around him, “I’m just wondering if anyone else heard the two of them?” he queried.

Namjoon looked form the couple towards the paramedics and asked, “Why do you want to know that?”

“Well,” Hoseok started, pulling a slightly grimacing face as he carried on, “I’m just thinking about Junghyun and him finding out that they are going out on a date,” he said softly.

“Oh, I never thought about that,” Jin said, nodding his head. “Junghyun is a little protective of Jungkook.”

“A little?” Hoseok said, eyebrow raised in scepticism, “You’re not the one that had to listen to him rant when he found out about the accidental kiss. And I was only just able to stop him from watching as his baby brother was dancing on the dance floor with Yoongi that one time. Let's not mention the fact that Junghyun still rants about Jinyoung, even after he had been sentenced to six years.”

“Yeah,” Namjoon nodded, “I’ve never known someone so intent to keep people away from someone.”

“Yeah, sooo...” Hoseok sighed as he looked at the others, “I think we need to make sure Junghyun doesn't know about this for a little bit. Maybe let Jungkook tell him when he feels that he is ready to do so?” he suggested, hope in his eyes.

“You know he’ll be pissed at you for keeping it from him if he finds out you know,” Namjoon warned him.

“I know, but,” he paused, looking down at the floor and then back up at Namjoon, “If he finds out now, he is going to do everything he can to drive them apart. I want them to get to know each other in that way before I let Junghyun know about it. If they can already have a few weeks dating each other before he finds out, they may know better if they want to carry on and properly date if you know what I mean?” he asked as he looked between them all.

Namjoon nodded, “Let them establish their relationship before someone can interfere before they can even start one,” he said, simplifying what Hoseok was trying to say.

“Yeah,” Hoseok smiled, “You got it, that.”

“Okay, we’ll do our best to keep it from him,” Jimin said as Taehyung nodded in agreement.

“But don't think it will work for more than a week or two. Someone around here is bound to have seen something or heard something,” Jin warned them, “This place is a gossip mill don't forget.”

“If it is then how were you two able to hide your relationship for two and a half years before you told us?” Taehyung pointed out.

“Yeah, but most of us had already guessed that they were together,” Hoseok rebutted Taehyung’s claim.

“Damn,” Taehyung said, “Yeah okay we can easily guess what is going on with each other since we know each other well,” he sighed, “Well, they’re ed then. You know Junghyun-hyung is keeping a really close eye on Jungkook and all that he does at the moment,” he pouted, “I don't want them to be found out,” he whined taking hold of Jimin’s hand.

“Well, we run interference then?” Jimin suggested as he looked to the other three in the room.

“That might work for a little while. We’ll do that,” Hoseok grinned, “I know he is going to kill me, but I hope he will understand that I wanted them to find out things themselves instead of having people interfere all the time.”

“All right, I think we might have a plan on what we can do,” Jin said as he looked to them all, “But do be careful I’d rather not hear about one of you being murdered by an overprotective brother,” he warned them all, glancing at each of them in turn.

“We won't,” Taehyung said with a grin.

The others all did the same and made a promise that they would do their best not to get caught by Junghyun while running interference. The group just hoped that Yoongi and Jungkook would appreciate the fact of what they were going to be doing for them. They split up, called away for work once more. The hospital was a busy place and while they were only five of the ones that worked there, it was still busy for them as well.