Chapter Thirteen

Flatline

Chapter Thirteen

 

Jungkook was taking a break after cleaning up the sutures of a patient. He had nothing to do for a little bit. And he was getting a little hungry. He waved to Junghyun at reception before heading over to him. “Hey,” he smiled at his elder brother.

 

“Hey Kookie,” he smiled up at him, before going back to typing up some notes.

 

“Was wondering if you’re free to have lunch with me?” he asked, leaning on the counter.

 

Junghyun winced, “Sorry, already had something to eat with Hoseok before he went out on call again,” he apologised.

 

“No worries hyung,” Jungkook smiled softly, “I was just hoping to spend a little time with you.”

 

“How about tomorrow we have lunch together?” he suggested.

 

“I’d like that, it’ll be nice to spend more time with you. I know things haven't been the best recently. Not with Jinyoung and all that. My… my therapist said that I should start going out with those that care about me, and those that helped me with it all,” Jungkook told him, his voice quiet as he didn’t want anyone to overhear.

 

“I’m happy to know that you took the initiative and started to get help,” Junghun smiled proudly.

 

“Yeah,” he nodded, “Well, I’m going to ask Taehyung and Jimin if they’re free, I don’t really want to eat alone,” he added quietly.

 

“If they don’t ask one of the others,” Junghyun told him, a slight hint of worry in their eyes.

 

“Okay,” he nodded as he walked away and headed back towards the back area of A&E. “Oh, Jin-hyung,” he greeted the consulting doctor as he was rushing towards him.

 

“Sorry Jungkook-ah, I can’t stop. Seungjae is in trouble at school,” he said, patting the younger on the shoulder as he rushed past him.

 

Jungkook watched him, he could see the worry on the elder's face and let him go without saying another word. He gave a small sighed and headed towards the children's area. He smiled to some of the nurses there that he talked to often when he was helping out. “Jimin,” he called out when he saw the doctor stepping out of a cubicle.

 

“Ah Kookie,” he grinned at the young man, “How are you?” he asked.

 

“I’m okay, want something to eat but I don’t want to go to the cafeteria alone,” he said softly, an awkward smile on his face.

 

“I have a few patients, but I know that Taehyung was going up soon, you should be able to catch him. He headed to the breakroom to grab his wallet, so run and you should be able to catch up to him,” Jimin answered, “Sorry I can’t join you,” he apologised.

 

“That's okay, I know people are busy and that we only get a break when we can manage it,” he grinned at him.

 

“Yeah,” Jimin laughed, “Now go and catch up with Tae.”

 

Jungkook nodded and turned around, rushing towards the breakroom. He arrived just as Taehyung was walking out. “Tae!” he called out.

 

Taehyung turned around grinning widely as he saw the younger nurse, “Hey Kookie,” he waved, “I’m heading to the cafeteria for lunch, want to join?” he asked.

 

“Yep,” he answered, “I was going to be asking you the same as well,” he added as the two of them headed towards the stairs to walk up to the cafeteria.

 

“Nice,” Taehyung murmured, a smile on his face as he led the way.

 

“How are things?” Jungkook asked softly. He hadn’t had much chance to talk to the two of them.

 

“Doing well, we received word from Sooyun's social worker, and that she is doing well and is thriving with her mother. It was hard to read it in one sense. That we’re not there, but it’s nice to know she is doing well. The social worker said her mother was fine with sending that one message to us since we had taken her in. But she doesn’t want to open communication between us at all,” he sighed softly.

 

“Good to know she is doing well,” Jungkook said, placing a comforting hand on his friend's shoulder.

 

“Yeah, it’s nice. A little painful that we can’t see it, but still nice,” Taehyung nodded as they reached the cafeteria and headed inside the large open room.

 

Jungkook looked around, his eyes locking on to a familiar face over the far side of the room. He thought his brother had already eaten. It took a moment as he walked to realise that he was wearing a doctors coat. He came up sharp as Taehyung called to him. Someone had bumped into him and he felt lips touch his right cheek.

 

Jolting back Jungkook looked around wildly, blinking as he came face to face with Yoongi. “Oh,” he said, “Erm.”

 

“I’m so sorry,” Yoongi said, a blush on his face.

 

“Yeah, I…” Jungkook began a blush on his cheeks. “I wasn’t looking where I was going I apologise,” he said giving a bow.

 

“You don’t have anything to apologize for. I should have avoided it, I… I wasn’t really paying attention either,” Yoongi quickly said, slowing down as he talked.

 

“Let’s just say you were both at fault, and there is nothing to worry about,” Taehyung stepped in when he could see Jungkook gearing up to apologise once more.

 

“Yes, or we’ll be here all day,” Namjoon said from behind Yoongi, a little smile on his face as he watched the two.

 

“Come on, I need food,” Taehyung said as Jungkook and Yoongi stood there and stared at each other. Taehyung grabbed Jungkook’s arm and began to pull him away and towards the lunch queue.

 

Yoongi stood there for a few more moments before Namjoon grabbed an arm and began to lead him out of the cafeteria. “You okay?” he asked his friend.

 

Yoongi gave a squeak, “I… I think so,” he said, turning around.

 

Namjoon shook his head as he saw the wide-eyed look that Yoongi had on his face, “Okay, put it out of your mind for a bit,” he told him, “You still have work to do,” he reminded him.

 

“Yeah,” Yoongi said softly as he placed his fingertips on his lips, part of him wishing he had accidentally kissed Jungkook on the lips. Shaking his head the two of them headed back to work.

 

“Right, I’m going to see Jin-hyung,” Namjoon said as they reached the second floor, Yoongi nodded and gave a wave as he carried on down the stairs. Namjoon turned and went to Jin’s office and knocked on the door. He frowned as he got no answer. He opened the door and walked in, looking around he saw no trace of Jin in the office. No bag, no coat, nothing. Reaching for his phone he sent a message. Quickly he headed down to A&E to talk to the others and see if they had seen him.

 

XxXxX

 

Jin parked the car near the school and got out, pulling out his phone as it beeped while he had been driving. A message from Namjoon. He sighed as he answered it, telling him where he was. He closed his eyes and wondered what trouble Seungjae was in. Jin walked into the school and inside to the reception desk.

 

“Hello I’m Kim Sungjae's father, Kim Seokjin,” he said, introducing himself.

 

“Ah, Yes,” the young woman said, “Follow me, Park Shin Hye is waiting for you along with the other parents and your son,” she said as she led the way to the principal's office and knocked on the door. OPening it she stepped inside, “Kim Seokjin has arrived.”

 

“Please send him in,” the older woman said as she sat behind the desk.

 

Jin walked inside, seeing his son sitting on a chair on one side of the room. Tear tracks down his face. He went over and knelt down, “Seungjae?” he called out.

 

Seungjae refused to look up or say anything.

 

“Sorry for calling you Doctor Kim, but we had an altercation during break time today between your son and Kwang-Sun,” she began.

 

“What happened?” Jin asked, sitting on the chair next to his son and placing a comforting hand on his shoulder.

 

“Your son hit mine,” an angry voice said as he glared at Jin.

 

“I want to know what led up to this?” Jin asked calmly as he looked to the young boy and then to his son.

 

“You son punched Kwang-Sun during break time,” Park Shin-Hye began.

 

“I want to know what led up to that. I know my son Park-sis, he wouldn't do such a thing without provocation,” Jin stopped her from repeating herself, “Now, I would like an answer, what led up to this?” he asked again.

 

“He said… he said that Eomma left because I can't be loved and that you’ll leave as well and then I’ll be a hobo,” Seungjae said quietly, eyes filling with tears.

 

Jin took a sharp breath, closing his eyes for a moment. He opened them and looked to Kwang-Sun, “Did you say such things Kwang-Sun?” he asked, keeping his voice even and gentle.

 

“My son would never do such a thing,” a more gentle voice this time, the child's mother Jin guessed.

 

“I am asking your child, Kwang-sun, do you say such things to Seungjae?” he asked, still his voice calm and gentle as he looked to the young boy.

 

Kwang-sun nodded his head, “I did,” his voice was small and quiet, the people in the room could only just hear him.

 

Jin nodded his head, “Thank you for telling me,” he told him, turning to the principal, “Park-sis, I’m taking my son home for the rest of the day, Kwang-sun, I’m sorry my son harmed you. I do hope you are okay,” he said, though he couldn’t see any visible sign of injury.

 

“I’m going to suspend your son for a week for his actions,” Park Shin Hye began.

 

“No, I don’t think so. Unless you do the same to Kwang-Sun then my son shall return to school tomorrow. He has said something that has hurt my son deeply. While it wasn’t physical it hurts just as much as physical one,” Jin told her.

 

“My son-”

 

“Your son said something to mine that harmed him so much he lashed out,” Jin interrupted the man as he stood up. “While yes, they are children, and children can say mean things. They also learn it from others, mainly from the adults in their lives. Now the ones in mine are myself and those I work with, who are doctors and nurses. I would look to those that are around your son that have said things like this about myself and Seungjae. You may find out who has said such a thing that he has repeated.”

 

“I…” he began, looking to his son.

 

“Now, Park-sis, I shall see you tomorrow with Sungjae, for now I’m going to take him home and make sure he knows he won't be losing me at all,” Jin said as he turned to Seungjae and held out his hand “Come on, let's go home,” he smiled.

 

Seungjae still refused to look at his father as he took the offered hand and was led from the room. Neither of them said a word until they arrived back home. Letting Seungjae inside, the seven-year-old took off his shoes and ran towards his bedroom. Jin followed but slower as he walked into the bedroom, seeing Seungjae bundled up under his covered.

 

“Seungjae, come on out, we need to talk,” he said softly as he gently pulled the covers away from his son.

 

Seingjae sat up, rubbing at his face. Jin sat on the edge of the bed, wiping away the tears before pulling the child onto his lap and holding him, “I’m sorry Appa,” he sniffed.

 

“I know, and tomorrow I’m hoping you will apologise to Kwang-Sun for hitting him, you shouldn’t have done that. I know,” he said before Seungjae could say anything, “I know he said something that hurt you. And it isn’t right, and I’m hoping that he will apologise to you for his words. But it still doesn't mean that you should hit someone, it isn’t nice, you know that” he said softly.

 

“He made me so mad when he said that you would leave as well. I… I don't want you to leave and then I was bad and hit him and I… I thought that you would leave me,” he hiccuped, crying once more.

 

“Seungjae,” he said, “I want you to listen to me, I will never leave you, no matter what is going on in my life, I will never leave you. You are my son, my precious little boy and I can't even think about you being away from me without my heart freeze in fear in my chest,” he admitted softly.

 

Jin held Seungjae for a while longer, rocking him slightly. He felt Seungjae become heavy in his arms and settled him down on his bed. Seungjae was asleep and Jin felt just as tired. Giving into temptation he quickly sent a message to Namjoon telling him all of what had happened. Setting an alarm to go off in two hours, he lay down beside his son, cuddling him as he fell asleep into an emotionally drained sleep.