Chapter Fourteen

Flatline

Chapter Fourteen

Namjoon looked at the house he was about to enter. He had been invited over for dinner and movie night with Jin and Seungjae. Jin had told him about Seungjae fighting at school and had offered to come over after work. Seungjae was being punished as his bedtime was earlier for the next week, and his games console was also being taken away for the same amount of time. Namjoon walked out the front door and knocked on it, waiting for it to be answered. It didn’t take long for Jin to open it and smile at him.

“Come on in,” Jin smiled as he opened the door wide and let the other into the room.

“Thank’s hyung,” Namjoon said as he walked in. Taking off his coat and shoes he put on the slippers that Jin had brought for him when he stopped by and followed the elder into the living room. 

“Hello Namjoon-ajeosshi,” Seungjae said as he waved to the man as he walked inside.

“Hey Seungjae-ah,” he smiled back as he walked over to the sofa and sat down by the seven-year-old, “So, I heard we are watching a film together, so what’s on?” he asked.

“We’re going to watch Cars,” he answered, “is that okay ajeosshi?” he asked, looking up at him.

“I think that's a great choice,” Namjoon smiled, ruffling the short black hair.

“Okay, dinner's almost ready,” Jin called from the kitchen, “So both of you go and wash up. We will be eating at the table before watching the film!” he told the two of them as he popped his head around the door.

“Okay hyung,” Namjoon said as he got up, “So,” eye glinting he looked to the child, “Race you to the bathroom?”

“Okay,” Seungjae grinned, “GO!” he yelled out as he raced off before Namjoon could say anything.

Namjoon laughed as he shouted, “Hey no fair!” and ran at a slower pace, pretending to try and catch Seungjae up.

Jin watched then, a fond smile on his face as he shook his head and headed back into the kitchen to put the dishes out ready for when the two made their way back to the kitchen table. It didn’t take long for all three of them to be eating. Jin dishing out the food for Seungjae as he pointed to what he wanted with his rice. Namjoon putting a few things on Jin’s as he took care of his own and his hyungs. Jin’s heart wanted to burst at the seams as he looked at what was going on.

Namjoon pulling faces at Seungjae as they ate. Occasionally telling him to try something new. Jin knew he was being a parent to Seungjae, even if the child didn’t realise that. The part of Jin that missed the family dinners he had with Mi-So before their divorce was nothing but a distance memory. But the feeling of family he got from them was present each time Namjoon joined the father and son for a meal. Whether that was at their home or out and about in the city, it warmed Jin’s heart constantly.

“Okay,” Jin said when the meal was over, there were a few left over, something that he could put together to make a lunch for himself and Seungjae the next day. If he did a little more rice and a few more vegetables he could make one for Namjoon as well. Getting up he started to take the things over to the counter, putting the leftover into Tupperware tubs. Namjoon getting up to help.

“Seungjae,” Namjoon said as he turned to the child, “Would you be able to get the DVD ready for us?” he asked.

“Yeah, I will,” Sungjae grinned as he got up from the table and went into the living room.

“I should be able to make the three of us lunch with this tomorrow,” Jin said, “Just have to cook up a bit more rice and cut up a few more vegetables and it’ll be good,” he added looking at Namjoon.

“I wouldn’t mind, that was delicious,” he smiled softly, eyes darting down to plump lips for a second before locking on to warm and loving brown eyes.

Jin smiled back, leaning closer to him, and darting a glance towards the door to the living room. He leaned in and placed a chaste kiss on Namjoon’s lips. He didn’t want to do any more just in case Seungjae walked in. He should have kissed Namjoon, to begin with. But he couldn’t help it, the dimpled smile always made Namjoon look even more handsome than normal. “All right, lunch tomorrow, we have it together in my office or in the cafeteria.”

“Yeah, speaking of the cafeteria, I have some gossip,” he grinned as he regaled him with the accidental kiss between Yoongi and Jungkook as well as Yoongi’s confession.

“Well…” Jin stifled his giggles as he put the leftovers into the fridge and started to make tea for the two of them and a glass of apple juice for Seungjae, “I guessed that Yoongi was feeling something. He would stare at Jungkook all the time when I work in A&E,” he said with a shake of his head.

“I know. But last night at Fire, well, they were on fire,” he joked, as he remembered the two dancing.

“Well, they are smoking hot,” Jin replied, wiggling his eyebrows at Namjoon.

“I… no… hyung… no,” he said with a snort.

“Couldn’t help it,” Jin said, unapologetically as he poured the water and handed over a mug, “Come on, let's join my little boy before he comes back in to tell us he is going to watch Cars alone.”

Namjoon smiled and nodded, placing a hand at the small of Jin’s back the two went into the living room and joined Seungjae on the sofa. It didn’t take long for the seven-year-old to drape himself over the two of them instead of sitting on the beanbag he had for himself in the living room.

XxXxX

Jin walked back into the living room almost three hours later, after putting Seungjae to bed. He was still tired, the emotions he had been feeling all day after the call from the school still at the forefront of his mind. He flopped onto the sofa and closed his eyes as he leaned against Namjoon’s shoulder. Wrapping an arm around him, he pulled the older man towards him and held him tightly.

“You all right?” he asked gently, his voice quiet.

“I don't know, I really don't know,” he said with a shake of his head, keeping his eyes closed, hoping that if he did so then he wouldn't have to face what had happened.

“Talk to me Jinnie,” Namjoon prodded a little.

Jin took a breath and released it slowly, “The kid told Seungjae that I would leave him as Mi-So did. I know I won't, but Seungjae is still feeling like I will at times. He is starting to trust me. But…”

“But it’s going to take time for him to believe you,” Namjoon nodded, “I know. All we can do is talk with him and make sure that he sees us… you there for him wherever he needs you,” he added wincing a little at the slip.

“I think… I think it should be us and not just me,” Jin said opening his eyes and looking up at Namjoon. “You’ve been around him since he was three, you’ve been dating me for the last two and a half years,” he began.

“Yes, but that doesn't mean that he wants me as a parent,” Namjoon tried to point out.

Jin shook his head, “He talks about you a lot, he wanted you to come over today to watch films with us. He never asked for Mi-So to come over.”

“He did once,” Namjoon told him softly.

“Yeah,” Jin sighed, “He stopped doing that just before we started dating. Wanting you to come over instead.”

Namjoon gave a small smile, “It’s nice to know he likes me.”

“He does, a lot,” he said, settling down, “Now, how about a film for us?” he asked as he grabbed the remote from the floor nearby and started to flick through Netflix.

“You know what I like,” he said, starting to play with Jin’s hair.

“Okay,” he said, choosing one of the random films that he knew Namjoon enjoyed. Letting himself relax even more as he placed his head in Namjoon’s lap, he felt like a puddle of goo with how soothing it was with Namjoon playing with his hair.

The two jumped as someone started knocking on the front door. “You expecting anyone hyung?” he asked as he looked down at the puzzled man.

“No,” he said, getting up and heading to the front door. He opened it and blinked at who was there.

“Well,” came the snappish voice of his ex-wife, “Aren’t you going to let me in?” she asked.

“Yes,” Jin said as he let her inside and closed the door behind her. He did glance outside and saw her boyfriend in the car waiting outside for her. “What do you need Mi-So?” he asked.

She ignored him as she walked into the living room and waited for him to enter. She was a little surprised by Namjoon’s presence, but dismissed it, “I thought I would bring these now. So I don't have to worry about them any more,” she told him as she held out a plain envelope.

Jin took it and opened it, seeing the papers for full custody to be granted to him. He flicked through and with his heart sinking he realised she signed every single thing she needed to. “Okay, are you sure about this?” he asked her once more.

“I am, I want to start afresh Seokjin,” she said bluntly. “I can’t do that with Dae-Bong if I have Sungjae hanging around all the time.”

“I can’t believe the type of person you have turned into. Once upon a time you loved that little boy, why now do you hate him?” he asked, needing to know.

“Once I may have,” she began, “But as time went on the idea of being a mother turned my stomach. He was always there when I wanted to do something. When I needed time for myself I couldn’t.”

“That's what happens when you become parents,” Jin told her, “We planed for a child and then when he was still a baby you walked out. You said you didn’t love me anymore. I could accept that. As I knew we were growing distance, but Seungjae is your son.”

“And now he isn’t I give up all parental rights. My lawyer is already sending the paperwork through. I want nothing to do with him or you anymore Seokjin,” she said as she turned to walk out of the house.

“I hope one day that you will realise the mistake that you’re making,” Jin said softly, “Seungjae is a wonderful, kind and smart child and he will grow up to be a fine young man I know it. You will miss out on everything. But MI-So, you try and come back and I will chase you away. I won't have you come near him to hurt him again with your selfishness.”

Mi-So shook her head ignoring the words as she carried on her way out of the house. Not even pausing when she heard a soft voice call out “Eomma!”

Jin rushed towards the stairs, seeing a crying Seungjae standing there as he watched the front door close after his mother had walked out. “Seungjae,” he said as he ran up the stairs and picked him up, “It’s okay little man,” he soothed as he held his son close. Tears were forming in his own eyes as he watched his son crying out for Mi-So.

Namjoon went up the stairs and placed a hand on both of their backs, “Come on bed little one,” he said as he guided the two into Seungjae bedroom.

Jin settled Seungjae into his bed once more, tucking him in, “It’s okay. I know it hurts. I know how much it is hurting you,” he repeated a few times as he tried to console his son.

“She… she really doesn’t love me,” he sobbed brokenly as Jin lay beside him and pulled the little boy into his arms. Namjoon watched helplessly as father and son cried together.

Namjoon went over to the bed, sitting on the edge of it as he ran his fingers soothingly through Sungjae's hair, hoping it would help the child to sleep. He looked at Jin who gave him a weak smile. It took the two of them almost half an hour to calm the child down. When he was finally asleep the two of them left him alone. Going back to the living room where Jin broke down once more in Namjoon’s arms.

“I can’t believe she did that. She didn’t even look at him when he called her. I… I can’t imagine doing that to him, or to any child,” Jin cried softly. Not wanting to cry too loudly as he didn’t want to chance waking Seungjae up.

“Neither can I,” he sighed, holding Jin tightly.

Namjoon held Jin as he talked softly about Seungjae and how he was feeling. Namjoon reassured him that the two of them would be there for Seungjae, no matter what came up. Slowly Jin fell asleep in his arms, the emotions of the day too much for him. Namjoon moved them around and settled the two of them on the sofa to sleep for a while.