Chapter Fifteen

Flatline

Chapter Fifteen

Jungkook stumbled into the breakroom. He had just finished a thirteen hour shift and he was practically dead on his feet. He flopped down on one of the arm chairs in the room. Closing his eyes he leaned his head back. Behind closed eyelids all he could see was the moment that Yoongi kissed him on his cheek. What played out in front of him was then what would have happened if he had turned his head. As his imagination when wild, his eyes flew open as he moaned in annoyance. That had been happening a lot over the last week.

Reaching a hand up to his cheek he touched it lightly. He could still feel the tingle that he had felt after the accidental kiss. He sighed, it had felt different than when Jinyoung had kissed him. Even when their relationship was new and when it was nice and happy. It hadn’t felt like that, like the world had come to a stop. He closed his eyes, muttering darkly to himself.

“Ignore it, it didn’t mean anything,” he said, over and over again. Hoping that he would be able to believe it soon enough. Jungkook didn’t know if he wanted the kiss to mean anything or not. His emotion were in turmoil over what had been going on with Jinyoung.

The door to the break room opened quietly as Taehyung walked in, he still had another three hours before his shift ended, he and Jimin were on different ones that week and he hated that. But it did mean a nice hot dinner waited for him when he got home as Jimin had finished his shift a few hours before. He saw Jungkook and stopped, looking and observing the younger nurse.

Taehyung walked a little closer, seeing the spaced out look and the closed eyes he was about to poke a cheek when he saw a hand reach up and touch it gently, “Oh,” he murmured softly, “I know what this is about,” he grinned as he reached out and poked him hard on the other cheek, “Hey, come back to the real world Jungkookie!” he called out.


Jungkook jolted trying to move away from the offending finger and the looming face as he opened his eyes, “Taehyung-hyung?” he questioned as he looked at the man.

“The one and only,” he said as he stood back and gave a ‘tada’ twirl.

“What are you doing here?” he asked as he sat up straight, hands falling into his lap.

“Well, I came for a little break,” he replied as though he was stating the obvious, and he was.

“Oh, yeah, sorry,” Jungkook said with a nervous laugh.

“Now what's wrong with our little Kookie?” Taehyung asked as he moved closer and leaned down to look the younger in the eyes.

Jungkook moved his head back, “Nothing's wrong,” he almost squealed out, eyes wide and nervous.

“I call bull,” Taehyung said, “Now tell Hyung all about it?” he asked him, sitting on the arm of the chair and placing an arm around Jungkook’s shoulders.

“Really, nothing going on,” Jungkook tried to pretest, trying and failing to move the arm from his shoulders.

Taehyung looked at him, grinning, “I know that’s not true,” he sang out, “Now, if I remember right. You just touched your cheek, and it would be the one that Yoongi-hyung accidentally kissed last week,” he grinned, poking said cheek a couple of times.

Jungkook whined and blushed, he couldn’t hide it, “Nooo,” he tried to protest once more, but it was a feeble attempt.

“Jungkook-ah,” Taehyung said taking on a big brother tone of voice as he rocked the young man from side to side, “Tell Hyung the truth,” he smirked, leaning that little bit closer.

Jungkook heaved a sigh as he gave in. He had a feeling that Taehyung was the stubborn type and wouldn’t let it go, no matter how much he protested, “Okay, so yeah, it’s about the kiss,” he said, rolling his eyes as Taehyung gave a yell of victory.

“Just as I thought,” he grinned letting him go and going over to another of the chairs in the room and sitting down on the one opposite from Jungkook, “What about it?” he asked, his voice more serious.

“Well,” he started, pausing for a moment to try and gather his thoughts, “It's just that this felt different. I know, I know it was an accident and that, but it still felt different to me,” he said looking at Taehyung, hoping he would be able to help him sort out what he was feeling.

“Hmmm,” Taehyung hummed loudly as he sat back in his chair, “Well,” he started, ginning, “It could be that you like him?” he said, “If you said that it felt different, in what way?”

Jungkook looked to his hands for a moment before he answered, “I felt warm, with Jinyoung it was different, it never felt like that, not that warmth of being home. You know?” he said looking up, not sure if he was able to describe it right.

“It felt as though you were coming home when Yoongi kissed you, that everything was all right in the world and that nothing could harm you,” Taehyung said softly, a gentle and loving smile on his face as he was thinking about Jimin.

Jungkook smiled, eyes lighting up, “Yeah, that.”

“He made you feel safe even though it was all an accident?” he asked, blinking.

Jungkook nodded, “I know that it sounds crazy from just that one little thing, but I did. I… I can't help it and now the kiss is on my mind all the time. I think about how it could have been different if I moved my head just that little bit more,” he blushed as he realised what he had just admitted.

“OH!” Taehyung squealed, laughing, a hand covering his mouth, “You want him to kiss you on the lips,” he grinned widely as he leaned forwards on his chair.

Jungkook froze for a moment and then nodded, “Yeah.” He was silent for a moment as Taehyung gushed a little, “I don't know if I should even try thought hyung,” he said, almost too quietly for Taehyung to hear him.

“What do you mean?” he blinked at the sudden change in Jungkook.

“Jinyoung,” was the simple reply. He looked at him, “I still have his trial next week, and while it looks like he’ll go down for a good few years for the GBH, it doesn’t mean he won't be trying to do something if he ever gets out. It’s only been two months, almost, since… well since then,” he worried, head bowing as he stared at his clasped hands in his lap, the fingers slowly turning white with how tightly he was doing so.

Taehyung’s smile dropped from his face, “Ah,” he said, then shook his head, “Jungkook,” he said getting the younger to look at him, “I know it's going to be hard to think of the future. But you can't keep thinking about Jinyoung, you can always do things against him to stop him from doing a lot of things. So don’t worry about that. What is it that you want to do?”

“I don't know. For now, nothing, I want to get the trail out of the way and then see where I go from there,” he said, determined not to think of it anymore.

“Don’t waste time Jungkook, you need to live in the here and now not in the past that is trying to keep you down,” Taehyung advised him.

Jungkook nodded as the two of them turned to the door and Hoseok walked in. He was dragging his feet as he went over to his locker and quickly started to take off his jacket and shirt, putting on a fresh t-shirt and closing the locker. “Oh, didn’t see you both,” he said, his voice sounded tired.

“Hobi-hyung!” Taehyung grinned at his friend, “Gossip time,” he said as he got up and dragged the elder over to the sofa in the room and pushed him down on it.

“What do you mean gossip?” he asked, looking tiredly from Taehyung to Jungkook.

“Jungkook and Yoongi kissed accidently last week,” Taehyung began only to stop when he saw the shake of Hoseok head.

“Yeah I know about that, that was all over the hospital before the day was even over,” he said with a snort. He remembered how Junghyun had reacted when he had heard. He had been ready to go and find Yoongi and tear him a new . He shuddered as he remember the rant and the threats that he had made. They were a lot worse that what Jungkook had told him when he had warned him about ever hurting his older brother.

“Yeah, but what you didn’t know is that are dear Jungkookie is still thinking about that kiss and I think he likes Yoongi!” he sang softly as he turned to face the beetroot red Jungkook who was looking anywhere but at the two of them.

“Okay, that bit is a little new. But the fact that they like each other isn’t for me,” he said, “or don't you remember Fire last week?” he asked, giving the young Taehyung a look.

“Fire? What happened there, Jiminie and I were on the dance floor for most of it,” he said with a grin.

“I know, but for those of us that took little breaks, there were two others on the dance floor. If I didn’t know better I would have thought they were having with how close the two of them were grinding against each other,” Hoseok said, laughing lightly as he saw Jungkook blush and duck his head and cover his face with his hands while groaning loudly.

“Oh, this I didn’t see. Did you get any video?” he asked, eyes wide and looking much like a puppy.

“I have a little,” Hoseok grinned, waving him over he pulled out his phone and pressed play as soon as Taehyung was close enough to see. It didn’t take long for the twenty-second clip to play and finished.

“Wow, and I thought Jimin and I were close when we dance together,” he said with a wiggle of his eyebrows.

“Not as close as them that night, the next day in the cafeteria was the kiss,” he said with a smile as the two of them looked over at the embarrassed Jungkook.

“No wonder he can't stop thinking about it,” Taehyung laughed lightly, “Though we have run into a little problem Hobi-hyung,” he said.

“If it's Junghyun, you’re on your own with that. He was not happy when he heard about the kiss. Took me two hours to calm him down. And he doesn’t remember the horizontal tango that you and Yoongi were doing at the club thankfully. And I’m keeping this little gem under a lock so he can't see it either,” Hoseok told the two of them, looking from Taehyung to Jungkook.

“What do you mean Junghyun wanted to do what to Yoongi-hyung?” Jungkook asked as he finally took his hands away from his face. He was still beetroot red, but there was actually worry in his eyes.

“Nothing for now, but if you date, be warned that he is going to be warning him as you did me,” he said with a grin.

Jungkook paled, “But… he-”

“He would, he is most likely going to be thinking about one thing when you start dating. And no matter who it is, he is going to be the same each and every time now,” Taehyung cut him off.

“Jinyoung,” Jungkook guessed easily.

“Yeah, he is worried that something like that may happen again. Chances are it won't, but it will be in the back of his mind all the time. And while he knows Yoongi he will still be in protective big brother mode for a while longer,” Hoseok pointed out, “Now, I’m not saying not do anything at all. You need to get back out there to be honest with you.”

“But?” Jungkook prompted.

“But, be careful as Junghyun will be on the warpath to make sure that you remain safe. I know you have just gotten free from Jinyoung,” Hoseok said as he pulled a face at the name, “and that you’re still recovering from that.”

“But I am doing fine. I-”

“You still jump sometimes, and I know you come here looking like you haven’t slept at all. And Yoongi is the same at times as well. So I think your having nightmares at times?” Taehyung said, he had been observing his friend when he returned to work after their holiday.

“They aren’t as frequent as they were,” Jungkook protested softly, looking away from them and towards the small window in the room.

“I know, so yeah, go and date, ask him out, but remember and remind yourself that you are still healing from that,” Hoseok said, “I know Namjoon would caution you as well. Not wanting you to rush into something.”

Jungkook nodded, “Okay,” he said a small smile on his face.

“So are you going to date Yoongi-hyung?” Taehyung brightened up.

Jungkook went red and wide-eyed at the question, “No.”

“But I want to see Yoonkook come alive!” Taehyung mock cried, hands out at the young nurse, and eyes looking as though they were about to shed a dozen tears or more.

“Yoonkook?” Hoseok and Jungkook asked him as they looked at the nurse.

“Yoongi and Jungkook mixed, ship name,” he grinned. “Mines Taemin,” he wiggled his eyebrows at the two of them.

“Okay,” Jungkook said as he shook his head slowly at him.

“And then there is mom and pop, Namjin,” he giggled.

“You spend too much time doing this,” Hoseok said, “And no, I don't want to know what you’ve called Junghyun and my relationship.”

Taehyung pouted at him, “but-”

“No Tae,” he said as though he was scolding a dog. And with the puppy expression on his face and the look of a kicked puppy sulking with his tail between his legs that came from the pediatric nurse, it felt like he was.

“Fine, spoilsport,” he pouted even more.

“Well, I, for one, am now going home,” Jungkook said as he got up.

“Yeah, to Yoongi-hyung,” Taehyung chuckled and winked towards the young nurse.

Jungkook groaned, “Why did I think it a good idea to talk to you about this.”

“Because I’m a good hyung,” Taehyung said, a proud note in his voice.

“More like persistent,” Jungkook shot back as he went over to his locker and grabbed his coat and bag.

“I’ll see you tomorrow Kookie,” Hoseok said with a smile as he waved to the younger.

When the door closed behind the nurse Taehyung turned and looked at Hoseok, “You have to help me get them together. I know Jimin will happily help us,” he said with a wicked grin on his face.

Hoseok paused to think about it for a second, “All right, but we have to do this carefully, he is starting to have freedom from Jinyoung, we don't want to destroy that,” he reminded him.

“I know and we’ll get the others in on this,” Taehyung acknowledge.

“Namjoon will be needed,” Hoseok sighed and wondered what he had gotten himself into.