Chapter Twenty Three

Flatline

Chapter Twenty Three

 

Hoseok looked around shakily from where he lay. His vision slowly beginning to clear as he saw smoke and people coming from the entrance he had been walking towards not a moment ago. He got to his feet, feeling a little dizzy as he put a hand to his head, he pulled away and saw a little blood on his fingertips. He made his way towards the entrance as Jisoo met with him, some of her kit in her hands.

“I’ve called in the explosions, more medics are on their way here along with fire and police,” she said as she looked on in horror as people started to make their way out of the partially collapsed doors.

“Junghyun, and the others,” Hoseok said, as he winced when Jisoo put a pad on his head.

“Yeah I know,” she told him, “We’ll get to them, for now, we need to see to these people, that is if you are up for it?” she asked him.

“Yeah, just sticky it,” he told her with a slightly pained grin.

She nodded and put a large covering on it, “Right, let's get to work,” she added, getting to her feet as other crews and some of the nurses and doctors that had made their way from the building and some of the surrounding ones started to treat those that had come from the doors.

A makeshift triage was set up right outside the doors. Hoseok and Jisoo were helping, bringing things from the ambulances and from other buildings, trying to make sure that there would be enough to help treat any casualties. 

XxXxX

Namjoon had made it to the canteen when he had been knocked off his feet. Heart in his throat as he heard the explosions going on nearby. The building around them shook and people lost their footing. He stood up when the world had stopped trembling and looked around. The others looked partially in shock, and he knew exactly what they felt.

“Right, everyone outside, we need to start assessing the damage and where it is,” Namjoon called out.

People nodded and began to make their way out of the building. Namjoon watched them go as he headed towards A&E, he knew that they would be inundated with injuries. He got near the corridor and found that most of it was gone, collapsed. “Damn,” he cursed as he went around and tried another way, each way was blocked. He left the building and walked around the entrance, he saw the entrance and knew that there were going to be people trapped inside.

“Namjoon!” came a call from a familiar voice.

“Hoseok!,” Namjoon smiled in relief for a moment, as he then saw the bandage that had been settled around his forehead, “You okay?” he asked, concerned for his friend.

“Yeah, I’m okay, just a small bump, but it likes to bleed at the moment,” he answered a weak smile on his face.

“What happened?” he asked him as he looked around the people that were around. He could hear sirens heading there way.

“Explosion. I was just about to walk in and I was knocked off my feet,” Hoseok answered him, “I’ve gone in a couple of times to help more people out of the building. There are parts that have collapsed and I think more areas may do the same. The fire crew that was first on the scene have given us some gear to do so,” he told him.

“I tried getting back to A&E,” he admitted, glancing towards the building and thinking of Jin and the others.

“Yeah, I’m worried about them as well. Not seen any of our main group of friends. Some of the other doctors and nurses have come out, helping out some of the people they were with,” he sighed.

“Doctor Kim!” came a shout from another of the paramedics, “I think I might need your help!”

Namjoon turned and ran over. Getting to work he started to help and treat some of the people that had been injured. He himself only had a few bruises, nothing that needed any treatment.

XxXxX

Junghyun came around slowly, looking around he saw a couple of others with him. He got up slowly, wincing as his knee threatened to give out on him. Leaning against the wall he looked around, the corridor he was in was collapsed at both ends. He looked to the four others that were with him, he smiled, trying to reassure them.

“Are you all okay?” he asked as he limped over to one of the women when he saw blood on them.

“I’m a little hurt,” the woman said as he approached her.

Junghyun had taken a few first aid courses during his time at the hospital. So if something happened he would be able to help in an emergency. He looked around, seeing a trolly of supplies nearby. He grinned, “Looks like we have a bit of luck on our side,” he told her as he went over and grabbed a few causes and bandages.

“Thanks,” she told him, “I can do that myself, I’ve had some lessons,” she smiled.

“Okay, I’m going to check on those,” he said as he gestured to the father and child that was clinging to him. He limped over and winced as he got down to the floor and checked on the father. He was unconscious, but nothing looked too serious. He didn’t want to move him in case of a more serious injury, “Hey kiddo,” he said to the young boy.

“Sir,” he said, sniffling and looked around widely, shock evident in his voice and appearance. He was crying silently, as though if he made too much noise something else would happen.

“Call me Junghyun, okay,” he smiled to him, “Now are you hurt anywhere?” he asked him softly.

“No Jonghyun,” he said,  trying to put on a brave face and look after his dad.

“Now that's good, can you keep an eye on you appa for me?” he asked him. The little boy nodded, “That's great, thank you. Now I’m going to and see the other over there to make sure he is okay, and then I should be back.”

Junghyun took a little while to get back to his feet and make his way over to the young man that was dressed in a nurses uniform. He crouched down, “Hey,” he said softly as he began to check him over. It didn’t take that long for the young man to wake up.

“Owe, is this a hangover or did a bus hit me?” he asked, a little confused.

“I think I would prefer one of those,” Junghyun smiled, “How are you feeling Ki-Nam?” he asked him.

“Head hurts,” he winced opening his eyes for a split second before closing them again. There was a bit of light coming through the wall near them, it was the only light source, but it was enough for them all to see. The lights above them were off, only occasionally giving a small flicker of life and Junghyun hoped someone would be turning the electrics off soon to lessen the risk of someone getting killed by it.

“Yeah, I suspect it would Just stay there, for now, we have another that is unconscious and a young woman that has been hurt, but doesn't look too bad,” he said.

“Okay, let me get my head on and I’ll help you look after them,” Ki-Nam said as he started to sit up, only to flop back down with a groan as his head started to hurt a little more and the room began to spin.

“Just stay there, as long as I know you’re okay, I can look after the other male,” he told him.

“I can stay with him,” the woman said as she had made her way over to them.

“You sure you’re okay enough to do so?” he asked softly.

“Yeah, it's only a cut, easily taken care of,” she told him, her voice was shaking a little but he could see the determinedness in her eyes as she slowly sat down next to Ki-Nam.

Junghyun nodded and then went back over to the father and son. The young boy climbed into his lap as soon as he settled beside them. Junghyun held him, talking softly and making sure that he kept calm. He hoped that Jungkook was okay, and then thought of Hoseok as well. Glad that he was out on call, at least he wouldn't be hurt. He wondered if his friends were all okay as well.

XxXxX

Jimin looked on in horror. He had come from the maternity building and into a war zone. People were crying and calling out for loved ones. Doctors and nurses from other parts of the hospital had gathered together to try and help.  He saw Hoseok first, worry clouded his eyes as he went over to him, “Are you okay?” he asked softly.

“Oh, Jimin, you weren’t inside?” he asked, looking a little relieved at seeing someone else was safe.

“No, I was visiting Tse-Seok,” he said softly, “Are you okay?” he asked again, wondering what type of head injury he could have.

“I’m alright. Someone checked me over earlier so I could get back to work. We could do with some more help,” he told him, a soft smile on his face. Though Jimin could see the fear in them.

“Have you seen Tae?” he asked, looking around. Desperately trying to catch sight of his husband.

Hoseok shook his head, wincing a little and touching his head, “No I haven’t. I’ve seen Namjoon only so far.”

“Right,” Jimin said as he wondered if he could go inside to look for Taehyung.

“You can’t go in, now that more fire crews have arrived only a few of us are being allowed in with them to look for the injured,” Hoseok told him, “for now, why don't you help out here until he is found,” he suggested.

Jimin nodded, “Okay, I can do that as he went over to talk to one of the other doctors and then got to work helping some of the injured.

XxXxX

Taehyung came around slowly, his head throbbed as did the rest of him as he tried to sit up. He fell back to the floor, he could hear crying coming from someone, a child, nearby. He opened his eyes and almost jolted when he came face to face with the mother he had been talking to earlier. Her eyes were wide, but he could see that there was no life behind them. He tried again to sit up and as he did he could see why she had died, out of the back of her head was a small bit of metal.

“Eomma!” the child cried and Taehyung knew that it was the son, the one he had been working with before everything had become loud and dark.

Taehyung tried to get to his feet, biting back a cry as his right leg gave out and he went crashing to the floor. He looked at it and knew that it was broken. It didn’t look straight. He got to his feet once more and kept the weight off his right leg. He hopped around, each movement sending agony through his body. He made her way to the bed and moved the things that had fallen on it off. He made sure to throw something that would cover the woman’s body. No child should have to see their parent in such a state. He didn’t even know if he could even tell the child what had happened.

“Hey buddy,” he said to the child as soon as he was fully uncovered.

“Where’s eomma?” he cried, shaking and scared after all the loud noises.

“She isn’t here at the moment buddy, so I’m going to take you out, okay,” he told him. “Now I need you to be really brave for me, are you hurting anywhere?” he asked him softly, as he began to take examine him a little, shifting slightly to lean against the bed as his left leg was threatening to give up on him as well.

“No, I’m okay, just want eomma!” he cried, large tears running down chubby cheeks.

“I know you do buddy, but we have to go outside, okay,” he said, trying to put on a brave face. “I need to know if you can walk at all?” he asked him, even though he didn’t want to let him.

He nodded his head. Taehyung smiled and hopped around and let him down. He could hear others in the corridor. Keeping a hand on the bed, he does his best to make it to the curtain and opens it. He sees a number of others injured and he notices that some of them are beyond help.

“Taehyung?” Minho said as he saw him.

“Can you take him, I don’t think I’m going to be getting out of here without some sort of aid,” he said grimacing as his left leg gave out and he began to head towards the floor. Minho reacted quickly and grabbed him before he could hit the floor.

Minho looked around, “Do-Hui, I need you to take the kid,” he told her.

“Sure,” the young doctor replied as she went over and picked him up, “I’m going to get him out of here,” she said.

Minho nodded, “Okay,” he waited a little bit until they got out of sight, “Okay Taehyung, what's wrong?” he asked, though he could see the broken leg.

“Broken leg, right. Think I might have done something to the left as well. Head is spinning and things are a little doubled,” he answered, knowing it was always best to do so instead of trying to hide anything. 

“Okay,” Minho said, “I don’t know if we should wait for others to come, most of us are already out, some of us remained to make sure everyone else got out.”

“Let’s get out, I don’t think we should stay in here for much longer,” He told him,

Minho nodded and stood up, causing Taehyung to groan in pain at the movement. It didn’t take long for him to pass out as Minho picked him up and began to carry him out of the building.