Chapter Six

Flatline

Chapter Six

 

Hoseok collapsed into a chair in the break room. He had half an hour before he would be back on duty. So he was taking the time to have a coffee and a little to eat, while his partner Jisoo went for lunch in the canteen with her best friend. Alone in the room, he looked towards the small window in the door. He wanted to go and talk to Junghyun, without Jungkook around. The younger nurse had made life difficult in his quest to try and ask Junghyun out. Anytime he had tried to talk to Junghyun at all, Jungkook turned up and stopped him, chasing him away.

 

Hoseok closed his eyes and turned away from the door, "Wouldn't do any good," he muttered darkly. The door to the break room opened. He didn't bother to open his eyes as he could tell who it was from the voices.

 

"You sure you and Jinyoung won't be able to come out?" Junghyun asked as he walked in. Stopping when he saw what looked like to be a sleeping Hoseok.

 

"No, he wants to go out for a meal tomorrow," Jungkook answered, ignoring the man on the sofa.

 

"Quiet Kookie," Junghyun warned him, his voice lowering, "Let's not wake him up."

 

Jungkook snorted softly, "Yeah," he muttered, uncaringly.

 

"Don't worry," Hoseok murmured softly as he opened his eyes, glancing towards the eldest of the brothers, "I'm awake."

 

"Oh, want something to drink?" Junghyun asked, a little smile on his face.

 

Hoseok looked over at him, "Erm, yes please," he got up.

 

Junghyun nodded, "All right," he headed over to where Jungkook was and then asked, "Coffee or tea?"

 

"Oh, erm coffee, thank you, milk, three sugars," he replied as he felt the glare coming from Jungkook drilling into the back of his head.

 

"I would have thought you'd be busy getting ready for the rest of your shift and not sitting in here," Jungkook said.

 

"Kookie," Junghyun began, giving the younger a smack on the back of his head, "Respect, don't forget it," he reminded his younger brother.

 

"We have a half hour to rest if we've been really busy," Hoseok clarified for the young nurse, "We've been to seven road traffic accidents so far today, and three call outs for home visits. You would know Jungkook-ah since you've been in trauma most of the day. There have been a lot," he smiled slightly.

 

"Yeah," Jungkook said, as Junghyun finished making the three of them drinks, "Thanks hyung," he smiled at his brother as he took the coffee he had made for him.

 

"Thank you Junghyun-ah," Hoseok said with a little grin as he took the mug from Junghyun, who offered it to him.

 

"Welcome," he smiled back, "Sit back down, if you're trying to take a break, it wouldn't do to be on your feet," he pointed out as he went to one of the sofas and sat down.

 

Hoseok nodded and turned to join him on the sofa, but was nudged out the way none too gently by Jungkook who took the seat next to his brother. Hoseok hissed a little as some of the coffee went on his hand, changing hands he gave it a shake went over to the chair and sitting down. "How's the waiting room? Busy?" he asked, taking a sip of coffee.

 

"Not many patients coming in today," Junghyun answered, "So it's been quiet," he smiled at him.

 

"Wish it had been for me," Jungkook grumbled, sipping his coffee and eyeing Hoseok as the elder looked towards his brother.

 

They lapsed into silence. Hoseok looked at his mug, feeling Jungkook glaring at him constantly. He gave a sigh as the door opened and another nurse came in.

 

"Hi Hoseok-oppa," she greeted the paramedic, glancing at the other two in the room, “hello,” she greeted the other two.

 

"Hei-Ran," Hoseok greeted the younger nurse as she moved to make herself a drink, "How is working as a nurse going for you?" he asked, the young woman had been a paramedic for a while, but had decided to take the plunge almost four years ago and train up to become a nurse.

 

"It's going well, not too busy today," she answered, "How about you?"

 

"It's been busy out there, hoping things will calm down for the last of my shift," he answered her politely.

 

"Let's hope," she grinned at him, leaning against the counter as she looked to the two others, "How has your day been?"

 

"Hei-Ran-Noona," Junghyun greeted, "It's been a quiet day for those not working trauma today," he said, looking at his brother.

 

"Yeah," she giggled, looking to Hoseok again, "How long do you have left on your break?" she asked.

 

"Not much longer," he answered, "Think I'll get up and walk around a bit."

 

"Oh," Hei-Ran said softly, "I could always come with you. I don't get much chance to talk to you anymore."

 

"That's because you became a nurse instead of remaining a paramedic," he reminded her, laughing lightly.

 

"Maybe," she laughed as well.

 

"Anyway, I'll be fine alone, wouldn't mind just getting a little air that isn't filled with smoke," he said a little smile on his face as he got up and put his empty mug.

 

"All right," she smiled, nodding, "Talk to you later?" she asked, sounding hopeful.

 

“Sure,” Hoseok nodded, "Bye Junghyun, Jungkook-ah," he told the two as he turned to look at them.

 

"I need to be getting back to reception," Junghyun said as he got up, put his own mug by the sink to wash later.

 

"Right," Hoseok murmured with a nod, "I'll walk part way with you then since we’re going the same way."

 

"Thought you wanted to go alone?" Hei-Ran said, there was a snappishness to her tone one that put all three on edge as they looked to her.

 

"I am going to be," Hoseok counters, “We’re only going part of the way,” he pointed out, a little frown on his face at the sudden bite to her words.

 

"Hmm," she nodded, a tiny, barely noticeable smirk on her face, "Enjoy," she laughed, though it sounded forced to them all, "I'll wash these up for you both," she said.

 

"Thank you," Hoseok smiled back, as he and Junghyun walked out of the break room. "Not often I get to talk to you with Jungkook around," he mentioned lightly.

 

"Yeah," Junghyun snorted, a soft smile on his face, "It's nice for him to come and talk to me so much," he added happily, "I don't get to spend a lot of time with him these days, he usually with Jinyoung," he finished, his tone slightly darker as he remembered what Yoongi had said almost a week ago.

 

"You okay?" he asked, only to be nudged out of the way as someone came up behind them.

 

"Hey," Jungkook grinned, moving between his brother and Hoseok.

 

Hoseok rolled his eyes, sighing lightly. Again the younger interrupted the little amount of time Hoseok could hopefully spend with Junghyun. He really wanted to talk to the man and ask him out on a date. He had been trying to build up the courage for the last several months. And with the way things have been going, he doubted it would happen any time soon. Not with Jungkook acting like a bodyguard for his hyung. Hoseok put a smile on his face as he turned to the two brothers, "Right, I'm going, I'll see you both later."

 

"Bye Hobi-hyung," Junghyun waved to him as he went back to talking to his brother.

 

Hoseok watched them for a moment, shoulders slumping. He wondered if Jungkook was acting like that because of the things Jisoo had told him. There were rumours going around about him, and while he knew they weren’t true, he also knew that others would believe them. He wondered if Jungkook thought them to be true. He gave a little sigh as he walked away, wondering if he should try and talk to Jungkook about it.

 

"Hoseok!" Jisoo called, she was running towards him, a serious look on her face.

 

Hoseok turned to face her fully, "Jisoo?" he questioned, a frown on his face.

 

"We have an emergency, all of us are needed, major pile up," she answered, running full speed past him.

 

"," Hoseok cursed as he ran after her and towards the ambulance.

 

He looked behind them and saw Yoongi and Seokjin running towards them as well. "We've been asked to go alone, triage," Seokjin answered the questioning look on Hoseok’s face, "Another is taking a few nurses so we can work on site," he added.

 

Hoseok nodded as the two got into the back. He could see a number of nurses heading into another of the ambulances. getting in he buckled up and set off.

 

XxXxX

 

Hoseok groaned and stretched. The crash had been horrendous. Multiple cars and vans had been involved and unfortunately a number of fatalities as well. Triage had happened on the roadside and the air ambulance had been going to and fro between the cities main hospitals. Now, he and the others were all back at the hospital, several had gone to change, and Hoseok was contemplating doing the same. He and Jisoo had been some of the last to leave the scene.

 

"Tired?" came a voice from behind as Hoseok walked towards the back entrance.

 

Hoseok turned, "Hey Hei-Ran," he greeted tiredly, "Yeah, today was awful, glad I have the day off tomorrow."

 

"Lucky for some," she said, joining him as he walked, "Wish I did."

 

"Hmm," he nodded, too tired to really answer.

 

"Nurse Oh!" one of the young doctors called out, "we need you!"

 

"Coming," she replied, turning to look at Hoseok, "How about we have dinner one of the days?" she asked, a shy smile on her face, a small blush on her cheeks.

 

Hoseok stood in place for a moment, he looked down at her "Hei-Ran," he began cautiously.

 

Someone called her name again and she turned to run off, "Give me your answer another time," she yelled out as she ran off.

 

Hoseok stood there, shaking his head. He carried on walking and spotted Jungkook glaring at him. "Jungkook?" he asked, wondering why he was there.

 

"You really can't keep to one person can you?" he snorted, about to walk away.

 

"What the hell are you on about?" Hoseok asked, frowning at him, about to grab his arm to stop him from leaving.

 

"You flirt with my brother and now Hei-Ran-Noona," he answered, turning to face him, "I heard that you were a bit of a playboy, but going after more than two?" he shook his head, disgusted at the thought.

 

"I don't like Hei-Ran," Hoseok answered him calmly, "I'm gay, okay, not even Bi, just gay," he pointed out.

 

"So, doesn't stop you from going after others, as I've heard," he growled, walking that little bit closer to Hoseok.

 

"Jungkook-ah," he sighed heavily, "Look, what rumours have you heard about me?" he asked, needing to know.

 

"That you're a playboy and that you flirt with everyone around," Jungkook answered, "That you've most likely dated half the people that work at this hospital. I’ve heard all about it from a lot of people working here."

 

Hoseok went pale, "Wha?!" he gave an almost hysterical snorting laugh, "Okay, I'm not a playboy. I've... I've never even been on a date. I’ve always been too busy," he cried, shaking his head. He was upset knowing that what Jisoo had told him were true, he had hoped that it was only one or two people that had been thinking them, but for Jungkook to tell him

 

"Come on, those rumours had to come from somewhere," Jungkook snorted at the way Hoseok was acting.

 

"Well, not from me. Jungkook, I've never dated anyone. The first time I decide to try my hand at flirting they turned me down flat, saying they would never date some like me," he said, shaking his head, "the next three times I asked someone out, they all said the same thing. Then I stopped, I… I didn't want to put myself out there again," his voice was soft, the distress and hurt clear in his voice.

 

"They why are people saying you're a playboy?" he asked, looking at him, letting him talk, but still unsure if he should believe him.

 

"I don't know," he exclaimed, his voice breaking as it rose in volume, "If I did, do you think I would let it continue?"

 

"Suppose not, I don't even know if I want to believe you," he sighed, looking away.

 

"Look, Jungkook," he said softly, his voice shaking, "I like Junghyun a lot. I continue to talk to him, hoping that I can actually get up the courage to try and ask him out. But he..." he trailed off, biting his bottom lip a few times before he continued, "Do you... do you think he has heard the same rumours?" he hesitated in asking, wondering if that was why Junghyun had been ignoring the flirting, or rather his attempt at flirting with him.

 

"Yeah," Jungkook nodded, "Look, I... I don't know if I should trust you with him. He's my hyung,"

 

"I know, but... I'd like to try and ask him out," he murmured softly, looking imploringly at him.

 

Jungkook stood there for a moment, "Fine, ask him. But if you hurt him. No one will find the body," he warned, giving the older man a glare as he turned and walked away.

 

Hoseok slumped where he stood, giving a hysterical laugh, "," he sighed, running a hand through his bright red hair.

 

"You okay?" Jisoo asked as she walked out of the entrance, seeing the distress in the way the other was standing.

 

"Oh, erm," he shook his head, trying to force a smile on his face, "You know you told me you hear something?” he asked, waiting for a nod. When he got it he then asked, “What… what have you hear?”

 

"About you being a playboy," she replied, snorting at the thought Hoseok, sweet and happy Hoseok, could be like that.

 

"Yeah," he said, shoulders slumping. He looked down at the floor, about to walk away.

 

"I did hear that one from several people around here, but I don't believe them for a second, I've been your partner for almost three years, and I've heard you about never going on a date for long enough to know that you aren't," she told him, smiling and placing a had on his shoulder.

 

"I'd like to know who started them," he sighed, starting to feel annoyed.

 

"Good luck with that," Jisoo snorted, patting him on the shoulder as she walked off, "This place is full of gossips and rumour makers!" she called back.

 

Hoseok nodded and walked off, heading inside so he could change into some clean clothes.

 

XxXxX

 

Hoseok headed towards the breakroom to grab his things. It was over, the day was done and he was glad of it. He could go home and sleep, as well as get a better shower than he had at the hospital. "Woah," he exclaimed as the door opened and Junghyun walked out.

 

"Hey, Hobi-hyung," Junghyun said, stopping and blinking up at him, "How are you doing, after all, that?" he asked, hearing about the pileup. He looked the elder over and could see how tired he was.

 

"Ready for bed," he gave a tired smile as Junghyun moved out the way to let him inside the breakroom.

 

"I was dealing with family members for most of the afternoon as well," he said, turning to watch him, "I think bed sounds like a good idea," he added, standing just inside the room, closing the door behind him.

 

"Yeah, it's been one of those days, let's hope I can enjoy my day off tomorrow," Hoseok said softly, taking his bag from the locker.

 

"Hmm, days off are good," Junghyun agreed, "I've got a half day tomorrow. Only working in the morning. Still means an early rise, but at least I'll be able to relax in the afternoon."

 

"Yeah?" he queried, looking over at him.

 

"Hmm," he hummed.

 

"Erm," Hoseok hesitated, glancing to the door. He saw Jungkook standing in the window. The young nurse gave a nod and moved away. Hoseok took it for permission to actually ask.

 

"What?" Junghyun frowned, "You're looking a little strange."

 

"I'm just wondering if you would like to go out for dinner tomorrow night? Or to see a film?" he asked, biting his lip, nervous.

 

"Hoseok," Junghyun began, "You're a playboy-"

 

"I'm not. I've never even been on a date. I don't know where those rumours came from. But hey have been the cause of me getting turned down the four times I've got up the courage to ask someone out. Now, I am asking you out," he rushed out, interrupting the younger, "So, will you? Go out with me? Just one date, see how it goes?" there was hope in his voice.

 

Junghyun was quiet, "Rumours have some truth though."

 

"Not these, please" Hoseok begged him to listen, taking a step closer, "Look, if it doesn't work out it doesn't. I've... I've liked you for a while. For the first time since I stopped looking, I’ve wanted to try again."

 

Junghyun looked at him, seeing the honesty in his eyes, "All right. One date, we’ll see how it goes."

 

Hoseok broke out into a happy sunny smiled, his whole face lit up, "Really?"

 

Junghyun couldn't help but smile as well, "Yeah."

 

"Brilliant, well, we both have time off tomorrow, how about I organise things for then?" he asked, still smiling.

 

"Okay," Junghyun agreed, smiling back still, "Ready to go?"

 

Hoseok nodded, "Yeah," the smile wasn’t going to leave his face for a while.

 

The two walked out of the break room, talking and smiling. Jungkook watching them, still glaring slightly at Hoseok as the two of them left work. He could see that the two looked happy, but he would be keeping an eye on the paramedic. "You better treat him right Jung Hoseok, you will be sorry if you don’t," he muttered darkly as he went towards the break room to gather his own things so he could return home as well.