Chapter Eight

Flatline

Chapter Eight

 

“So Club Fire tonight then?” Junghyun asked as Hoseok leaned on the front reception desk.

 

“I look forward to it,” Hoseok smiled back, happy that he would get chance to show off a few of his dance moves.

 

Junghyun chuckled lightly as Hoseok was wiggling his eyebrows at him, “Well, it should be fun. I’ve been there a few times with some of my friends.”

 

“Same here, I don’t get much chance now as Taehyung and Jimin are both parents, so they don’t have as much time,” he replied softly.

 

“Yeah, but little Soo-Yun is so adorable and cute,” he was almost cooing as he thought of the small nine-month-old baby girl.

 

“Tonight then?” Hoseok replied once more.

 

“Yeah, tonight,” he grinned back.

 

Hoseok nodded once more as he gave a wave, wanting to lean over and kiss him on the cheek. He didn’t dare while they were at work, maybe when things were really good between them he would do such a thing. But for now, he pulled himself back and headed towards the break room. Determined to get a drink before they received another call out. The was a chill up his spine as he walked.

 

“Hoseok,” came a cold voice.

 

Hoseok stopped and winced. It was Jungkook, he would know that coldness immediately, “Jungkook-ah, show some respect for your hyung,” he said softly, a smile on his face, though his eyes were wary of the young man. He had shown that he had some sway over his brother, not that much, but enough that Junghyun would think twice about dating him.

 

“Hobi-hyung,” he said, though there was no respect in that voice whatsoever, it sounded more like an insult.

 

Hoseok let it drop, wondering what it would take to show the young nurse that he was serious about Junghyun and that he wasn’t going to hurt him. “So, what can I do for you?”

 

“Just want to have a small talk with you,” he said as he then looked around, seeing a few people walking past them, “Privately.”

 

Hoseok nodded, “Sure, I was just getting a drink from the break room, you’re welcome to join me, there shouldn’t be anyone there,” he said, hoping that was true. While most of the doctors and nurse would go there between certain times, the ambulance crew would stop in when they were back at base cleaning up their vehicles and then make sure they were fully stocked with what they might need.

 

“Okay,” he nodded and the two headed into the break room.

 

“So what do you want to talk to me about?” he asked as he went to make the two of them some coffee.

 

“I just want to warn you, if you hurt Junghyun,” he said voice still cold and serious.

 

Hoseok glanced over to him, “I know what is at stake if I do. He means a lot to me already. He… he’s a good man and a kind one as well when you get over the sarcasm that he will spit at you if you annoy him too much,” he grinned thinking of the times when it would go over someone's head. He enjoyed the banter between Junghyun and Yoongi the two would occasionally start talking and trying to one-up each other with their friendly insults.

 

“I don't think you do. I’m a nurse, but I know a damn sight more about the human body and what it can and can't do than you would think,” he began, his voice turning sinister a dark grin on his face, “And I would not hesitate to hunt you down and kill you if you hurt him in any way,” he warned him.

 

Hoseok paled a little, “Yeah, I… I get that,” he took a breath trying to steady the shiver that went down his spine at the threat. Turning to Jungkook he looked at him. He could see the worry and the fear he had for his brother in his eyes and wondered where it was coming from. “Jungkook-ah, I’m only going to say this once. I really like Junghyun. A lot. More than I thought I would. He’ a really great man and makes a fantastic friend. I don't know if it's love yet, but I think it could easily head that way. We are, at the moment, just trying to find out what we could be.”

 

“Just don't hurt him,” he warned once more.

 

“I won't, things might not turn out the way we want, but I will be doing my best to make sure he will be happy every day,” he said, making a promise to do such a thing.

 

“Okay, “ he nods, grabbing the coffee that Hoseok had finished making.

 

“It’s hard to trust me because of those rumours, and I would love nothing more than to find out where they had come from,” Hoseok sighed, wondering if this was going to follow him all the time.

 

“It is. All I’ve heard about you from people is that you’re a player and that you’ve flirted with everyone and slept with a number of them as well. Though when I ask those that are telling me, they usually do tell me that you haven’t flirted with them,” he admitted. He had checked Hoseok out as best as he could. While Yoongi and Seokjin had both said that he was a wonderful paramedic and man. Both of them said that he had never dated to their knowledge.

 

“But I’ve not gone on a date or anything in a long time,” he sighed, drinking some of the hot coffee. “Look, I can’t tell you what the future is going to be like, all I can do is live in the moment and hope that Junghyun and I will be together.”

 

“Okay,” Jungkook said, drinking his coffee in one gulp, putting the mug down he looked at Hoseok, “Just treat him right and you won't be dead,” he said a cute bunny smile on his face as he then walked out of the room.

 

“ing hell,” Hoseok cursed to himself, “That kid is lethal,” he said, snorting and shaking his head. He quietly drank his coffee, washing the two mugs up when he was done. He should go and make sure the ambulance was ready, even though he had done that before he had gone to talk to Junghyun.

 

“Hoseok-oppa,” came a cheerful sing-song voice from behind him.

 

“Hei-Ran,” Hoseok greeted as he turned to the nurse, “Good to see you,” he said softly.

 

“Same,” she grinned happily as she looked up at the taller man, “I was hoping that I would be able to bump into you,” she said.

 

“Oh?” he asked, and then a feeling of dread entered the pit of his stomach. He remembered the last time she had been around him.

 

“Well, I was hoping to do it properly this time,” she began, “But I was hoping you and I could go and get dinner sometime? I somewhat like you Hoseok-oppa, and I’d really like to get to know you better,” she asked acting shy as she gave him tiny smile.

 

“Hei-Ran,” he began, “I’m gay, you know that. I would think even the rumours going around would tell you that,” he snorted at the thought of them. “Plus I’m… I’m dating someone at the moment,” he added a soft smile on his face as he thought of Junghyun.

 

“Oh,” she said looking disappointed, “Oh.”

 

“Yeah, I’m sorry, but… I tried to tell you last time, but you… you ran off before I could do so,” he said softly, hoping not to hurt her too badly. Though there was nothing he could really do to stop that.

 

“No, it’s fine,” she said, smiling brightly. “I thought I would at least try my luck, you’re a really nice guy Hoseok, and whoever they are they’re going to be so lucky to be with you.”

 

Hoseok smiled, “Thanks, though it took a lot for him to agree to go out with me.”

 

“So, are you going to tell me who has stolen the heart of our little Hope?” she joked, eyes lighting up as she moved a little closer.

 

“Well,” he paused, wondering if it was really all right to talk to her after her confession.

 

“Come on then, tell me the lucky man?” she pushed even more.

 

“Well, it’s Junghyun,” he finally answered her, rubbing the back of his head in embarrassment. “I finally worked up the courage to ask him out. And he... he actually said yes,” his smile lit up his entire face, “I’m really happy Hei-Ran, I really am, I never thought I would get a chance to date while here you know.”

 

“Oh, why do you say something like that?” she asked frowning, putting a hand on his arm, worried for her friend.

 

“Well, have you heard any of the rumours going around about me here?” he asked, wondering if even she had been hearing them.

 

“I’ve heard a few things about you, but I know better than to listen to them. I know you’re not that type of person Hoseok-oppa,” she told him gently, patting his arm.

 

“At least there are a few here that don’t believe them,” he said with a sigh, as he began to walk out of the hospital.

 

“What are they?” she asked him, quickly catching up to him and walking beside him.

 

“Well, they’re all about me being a playboy and such. That I would flirt with anyone and everything around, and dating,” he said, still feeling hurt that someone could spread such things about him.

 

“Nasty,” she winced, wrinkling her nose, shaking her head, “What have you done to try and stop them?” she asked.

 

“Nothing I can do, either people believe them or not. Some do but at least there are a few that don't,” he said, giving her a smile, “My friends, my real friends down,” he added.

 

“How could I believe such a thing as that Hoseok-oppa, you’re so kind and gentle,” Hei-ran shook her head, “Well, I hope you’ll be able to get rid of them, they aren't nice at all,” she said, “I need to get back inside,” she added as he looked around.

 

“Yeah, Thanks for letting me talk, and sorry again for not being able to say yes,” he added.

 

“That's okay, I’m a little disappointed, but that's life,” she grinned, shrugging her shoulders.

 

Hoseok nodded, “Sorry,” he said once more.

 

“Don’t worry about it,” she said walking back towards the hospital.

 

Hoseok smiled as he headed to where his vehicle was parked, Jisoo standing beside it, “Hey,” he greeted with a wave of his hand.

 

“Hey, what was that all about?” she asked, motioning towards the retreated Hei-ran.

 

“She wanted to ask me out,” he answered her.

 

Jisoo was taken aback, “Ask you out? I thought she would have known that you’re gay,” she snorted as she climbed into the driver's seat.

 

“She didn’t, I don’t think,” he replied, climbing into the other side.

 

“Would think she would since she was your partner for almost two years before she took the plunge and started her nursing degree,” she said sighing and shaking her head.

 

“I know, I swear that I told her that, at least once,” he frowned and then shook his head, “Well, doesn’t look like there is anything I can do to change anything,” he grinned at her as a call came in for them.